Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Somebody linked a Dimmu Borgir song in the black metal thread (or maybe it was a fake Dimmu Borgir song) and I started to reminisce about all the awful poo poo I used to listen to. So then I looked up the video for Satyricon's "Fuel For Hatred", which I thought was just the sickest poo poo when I was in high school.

How did they go from Mother North to this poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRK3jjeF2zI

What embarrassing poo poo did you guys listen to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.
I listened to Primus in high school for the most part. But they don't suck (I know what I'm doing). I think the 'embarrassing' stuff I listened to was Slipknot. Iowa rules and idgaf.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Meh, Nu-metal like most everyone else going to high school around 2000. I don't regret it or anything, but some of it was definitely awful.

e: Forgot the quote.

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 3, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
wow it's that maddox post from 30 years ago with some different words

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

What the hell is a white metal?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Houseplant posted:

Meh, Nu-metal like most everyone else going to high school around 2000. I don't regret it or anything, but some of it was definitely awful.

e: Forgot the quote.

I wouldn't say I regret it either, since nu-metal (ugh, I had 3 Limp Bizkit albums and at least as many from Korn) was how I discovered metal in the first place, and if not for Dimmu Borgir, I might never have discovered black metal.

Somehow I had found Tristania before any other band with harsh vocals and it didn't occur to me that there might be more. I thought it was just a novelty.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm 29, so nu-metal was starting to get big while I was in middle school. I loved Godsmack's first album, Deftones (still love them and they are better than ever now), White Zombie, Staind's first album, Nothingface, Slipknot, Static-X, Vision of Disorder, Candiria, Pantera, and all that stuff...never got into Limp Bizkit or Korn though. I still like the first two Linkin Park albums and am not ashamed to admit it :colbert: It wasn't until 10th grade, when a friend of mine brought in a CD-R with some Blind Guardian, Sentenced, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Nevermore, and a few other things (none of which I'd even heard of before) that I started getting more into metal, and then I discovered SnakeNet Metal Radio and it was all over.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Man, a list of embarrassing poo poo I listened to would be a really loving long list. Some of it's already been named in the thread. But y'all Dimmu haters can eat it, I listened to them for a few years because at the time it was the only thing ICS Vortex was doing, and I just loving love hearing that man sing. It's so much better now that he's back in Borknagar again and did his solo thing.

Can't remember a drat thing Dimmu did that was worth listening to without him though.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I have this tape. I bought this tape in 1991. It's literally the worst thing I've ever seen or heard.

I warn you, it's not even terrible in a noteworthy way. I think it's trying to be funk metal -- already the indisputably worst subgenre as it is -- but it even fails at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rx-8uvDw1E

That era when glam and AOR was flailing about in the wake of the "alternative" tsunami, trying so hard to adapt to the changing scene, may very well be the nadir of music in human history.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

What the hell is a white metal?

Black metal for people that love Jesus.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I listened to so much Rhapsody in high school, that's about as shameful and silly as it gets. That said, I still think Luca Turilli is a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iR5c1JBfOs

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Can't remember a drat thing Dimmu did that was worth listening to without him though.

You need to listen to Stormblast. But not the remastered one. Never that one.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Misogynist posted:

wow it's that maddox post from 30 years ago with some different words
Hahaha

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Just gonna bump this thread to say if anyone here gets a chance to see Vastum, DON'T pass it up. One of the best shows I've been to in a while. Ulcerate was great too, but Vastum are the sickest.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kirkjames posted:

Just gonna bump this thread to say if anyone here gets a chance to see Vastum, DON'T pass it up. One of the best shows I've been to in a while. Ulcerate was great too, but Vastum are the sickest.

I just looked 'em up on YouTube and I agree with this post wholeheartedly.

Seriously, get this poo poo in your ears now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tj_pqn1olg

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

All kinds of lame-rear end lovely power metal like Rhapsody and Hammerfall, though I suppose they're not terribly embarrassing. Anyways, now I have a much more discerning taste in silly cheese.

Speaking of silly cheese, here's a second single from the upcoming new Sabaton. It's.... well, it's Sabaton, no doubt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGtEH1i78sI

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

lmao

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Gaggins posted:

You need to listen to Stormblast. But not the remastered one. Never that one.

I've heard it before. It wasn't bad, but there's much better stuff out there. Dimmu's only novelty to me was Vortex. I mean, I literally had a playlist that skipped all the songs he didn't sing in.

What's with the remastered one anyway? Did they shove in an orchestra like they seem to do with everything else nowadays? I could imagine that being particularly bad with Stormblast.

PsychoPenguin
Sep 13, 2013
Found this pretty kickass track today and felt like sharing it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyD3Dd7GXw

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Funny enough, Rob Zombie was the band that started me on the path towards metal. Dragula lead to me listening to hard rock on the radio, which in turn lead me to the local band Slipknot, and then eventually friends with CDs by In Flames and Symphony X.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Lawnmower Deth and Mucky Pup. Now get off my lawn.

e: also Wilson Phillips

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly the only band that I totally grew out of (and I was in high school when I grew out of them) was Pantera. I guess I still like old Children of Bodom even though they're stupid.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I've owned releases from both Nuclear Blast AND Century Media. Where do I claim my prize

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

m-o-o-n posted:

I've owned releases from both Nuclear Blast AND Century Media. Where do I claim my prize

I'm fairly sure you've just described everyone here with that post.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly the only band that I totally grew out of (and I was in high school when I grew out of them) was Pantera. I guess I still like old Children of Bodom even though they're stupid.

Bodom was my first concert, freshman year of college, with Amon Amarth opening. A random dude I met at that show told me to look into Nile.

It all just kind of snowballed from there.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fenrir posted:

I'm fairly sure you've just described everyone here with that post.

Yeah but, see, m-o-o-n is TRVE and KVLT and UG, so he's above those silly commercial labels.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My first metal show was Gigantour with them in the third slot, but they were supporting Blooddrunk at the time and the only stuff from their good era that they played were Hate Me! and Downfall (I hadn't even listened to Hatebreeder yet).

The funny thing about that tour is that High On Fire opened. I paid no attention to them and now they're far and away my favorite band from that tour (gently caress In Flames and especially Job For a Cowboy).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I haven't actually given up on Bodom yet. I love their older stuff and I thought Relentless Reckless Forever was a marked improvement over Blooddrunk. A move toward their roots, it felt like. Then they had to gently caress it all up with Halo of Blood. I actually can't listen to that album, I just skip over it every time I'm scanning for something to listen to.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Nordick posted:

Yeah but, see, m-o-o-n is TRVE and KVLT and UG, so he's above those silly commercial labels.

Stop owning me so hard. Reported

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i saw sadistic intent last night they were pretty awesome.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Every Time I Die by Bodom is the first death metal song I ever listened to, so Follow the Reaper has a special place in my heart.

Also Hate Crew Deathroll. Bodom Beach Terror is the best.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Kumbamontu posted:

Every Time I Die by Bodom is the first death metal song I ever listened to, so Follow the Reaper has a special place in my heart.

I'm in a similar boat with that album. I was listening to power/fantasy metal when I first heard Children of Decadence, and it was my gateway into gravely vocals and all sorts of new and different types of metal that made me feel strange in my pants. I have Pandora.com to thank for that.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm old enough that 80s Metallica and Ozzy were my gateway into metal, along with my uncle's old Black Sabbath records. It sort of scaled up from there with Pantera, Fear Factory, and eventually stuff like Edge of Sanity and Emperor.

impvnity
Apr 28, 2014

okvltist.

kirkjames posted:

were you at the SF show last night? Also yes, Vastum was surprisingly good. Ulcerate dominated so hard though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Didn't Plague Widow play that show? They are sick.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That one Linkin Park album was and is still pretty drat catchy.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

IRQ posted:

That one Linkin Park album was and is still pretty drat catchy.

I must be weird, then. The only Linkin Park album I could ever listen to was Thousand Suns, and... poo poo I still like a good bit of that one. If you're talking about the ~crawling in my skiiiiin~ one (which I'm guessing you and a few of the others who have posted about it are), I guess I was just too old for that or something.

Now that I really think of it though, I'd have probably listened to that too if it came out when I was like 13.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Necro-tron (haven't seen him on here in ages) posted this on Facebook today and I can't get enough of it. There're some incredible bands there, a couple of which I'd never heard of...Utumno specifically, goddamn. http://www.noecho.net/lists/11-underrated-records-early-90s-death-metal-underground-by-jason-netherton

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Fenrir posted:

What's with the remastered one anyway? Did they shove in an orchestra like they seem to do with everything else nowadays? I could imagine that being particularly bad with Stormblast.

I guess remaster isn't accurate. They re-played the album with their modern sound, which got rid of everything that made the original special. And they had Hellhammer play drums, which is a bit interesting in parts but also adds robotic blast-beats and poo poo like that. I don't remember if they did anything with the orchestra sound, it came out a while ago and I've never wanted to listed to it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Optimum Gulps posted:

Necro-tron (haven't seen him on here in ages) posted this on Facebook today and I can't get enough of it. There're some incredible bands there, a couple of which I'd never heard of...Utumno specifically, goddamn. http://www.noecho.net/lists/11-underrated-records-early-90s-death-metal-underground-by-jason-netherton

Utumno are the poo poo. Up there with Wombbath and Nirvana 2002 as far as underrated old Swedeath bands are concerned.

Also who underrates Asphyx?