Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010
All this talk of C64 demos and no one's posted Edge of Disgrace yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19b4jDP83fA

Also http://www.pouet.net/ is a great resource for all things demoscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
TIME just had an article about the "Weird Stuff Warehouse" which has some interesting curiosities.

And it happens to mention the RCA SlectaVision.

A pricey alternative to LaserDisc using the old faithful vinyl to delver sound and picture. It was panned from day 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzs6IgMc2E

BogDew has a new favorite as of 03:26 on May 3, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
*Screen image simulated

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Oh, man, I'm only into this commercial by about 90s seconds and it's painful. It's right up there with the CD-I infomercial from the 90s where a man goes to speak with a electronic God for the meaning of life and learns it's the CD-I.

Edit: What kind of messed up party was this couple having? Mom wakes up the next morning, dad's nowhere to be seen, you're still there and watching the kids in the living room.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 03:37 on May 3, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I'm trying to figure out what this thing is.
Clearly it's a dual display monitor of sorts with the top one being adjustable. And from the looks of it, speakers and a webcam.

I suspect it's a old Kiosk display.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

WebDog posted:

Oh man, a roommate of mine had one of these, plus about fifty movies, that he picked up at a flea market in '07 for like $80. It was weird in that the picture quality was generally better than VHS, but still had those little analog glitches.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WebDog posted:

I'm trying to figure out what this thing is.
Clearly it's a dual display monitor of sorts with the top one being adjustable. And from the looks of it, speakers and a webcam.

I suspect it's a old Kiosk display.

I would guess some kiosk or displays for some specialty equipment, yeah. Medical maybe?

Also, I want to visit this store.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

I would guess some kiosk or displays for some specialty equipment, yeah. Medical maybe?

Also, I want to visit this store.

Weird Stuff is pretty cool, although honestly I find a lot of it to be overpriced. I bought a sweet rotating blue light (like on an old style cop car) for $10, though, which was a good buy. But $150 for a 15 year old iMac is pretty out of line, though.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Weird Stuff is pretty cool, although honestly I find a lot of it to be overpriced.
The guy in the TIME magazine left buying a 5 1/4" disk for $10.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WebDog posted:

The guy in the TIME magazine left buying a 5 1/4" disk for $10.

A box of 8" floppies for $10. That's kind of high but hell, back when people were actually using 3.5" floppies I bought a box of 10 for $10. 8" floppies are cool as hell, I have a box around here somewhere.

Edit: they really are super floppy, by the way.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

5's were kinda cool for re-purposing into CD slips.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

WebDog posted:

You kids and your fancy 'standards', we had some more obscure disk formats, like the 2.8" quickdisc:

(used on a variety of obscure Musical instruments (Roland and Akai samplers), Home computers (Triton QD for C64 or ZX Spectrum), and games consoles/wanna-be-computers (Mattel Aquarius & Nintendo NES - as the famicom disk))

Or the even more obscure endless tape loop formats:

(Rotronics 'Wafa' for the 'wafadrive', held 120KB, took about the same amount of time as a tape to load :rolleyes: - this was the exciting future that I owned)

e: and because that wafa image doesn't give any scale, have another wafa:

Yes, they really made wafas that were 32KB storage and couldn't hold the contents of your computer's memory, no-one really knows why*

* (although we do, the 32KB wafa had a load time of like 15 seconds, so they could claim to be competitive with the diskette standards, even though you couldn't load anything useful in that time)

SybilVimes has a new favorite as of 13:06 on May 3, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Put that into perspective that the C64 could store roughly 150 kBytes per side of a C90 tape unless you used a turboloader, in which case you could get up to 600kBytes per side.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Christmas Present posted:

Oh man, a roommate of mine had one of these, plus about fifty movies, that he picked up at a flea market in '07 for like $80. It was weird in that the picture quality was generally better than VHS, but still had those little analog glitches.

Capacitance Electronic Disk (the real name of this format) is theoretically about the same quality as VHS recorded in SP mode. That is, it should have about the same amount of detail and clarity. But most people say that it looked better.

It did have some disadvantages. It was not recordable. Disk held 1 hour per side and had to be flipped. The CEDs were read by a stylus that physically contacted the disk, like a record player, and video quality degraded with each viewing due to the physical wear.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lowen SoDium posted:

Capacitance Electronic Disk (the real name of this format) is theoretically about the same quality as VHS recorded in SP mode. That is, it should have about the same amount of detail and clarity. But most people say that it looked better.

It did have some disadvantages. It was not recordable. Disk held 1 hour per side and had to be flipped. The CEDs were read by a stylus that physically contacted the disk, like a record player, and video quality degraded with each viewing due to the physical wear.

This is what it looks like:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

WebDog posted:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is what it looks like:

There are a ton of those at Weirdstuff as of today... Pretty poor selection of laserdiscs, but in the past I bought A Clockwork Orange there on LD.

They also had one of those Polaroid video projector things from earlier in the thread.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

You kids and your fancy 'standards', we had some more obscure disk formats, like the 2.8" quickdisc

gently caress Quickdiscs then (for being horribly slow) and now (for dropping dead).

Also 'Smart Media' cards, came and went too fast and now cost way too much second hand...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LOAD"GIANA SISTERS",8,1

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

0dB posted:

Also 'Smart Media' cards, came and went too fast and now cost way too much second hand...

But Smart Media cards had the advantage of looking the coolest out of all those early 2000's memory card formats:

I remember the first digital camera my dad bought in...2001/2002 used one of those, but his computer didn't have any sort of memory card reader. So he had to use this:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I remember the first digital camera my dad bought in...2001/2002 used one of those, but his computer didn't have any sort of memory card reader. So he had to use this:

Well at least it came with Acdsee which was the gold standard way back when.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

TIME just had an article about the "Weird Stuff Warehouse" which has some interesting curiosities.

A pricey alternative to LaserDisc using the old faithful vinyl to delver sound and picture. It was panned from day 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzs6IgMc2E

Interestingly enough, while the actual players were ridiculously expensive, the discs were pretty cheap- cheaper, to be sure, than any VHS or Beta movies at the time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maxwell Lord posted:

Interestingly enough, while the actual players were ridiculously expensive, the discs were pretty cheap- cheaper, to be sure, than any VHS or Beta movies at the time.

They were less than 20 Dollars - Would you like another cheese puff?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

What kind of quiche was it? Do you think the kids got any?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Sony crams 185Tb of data onto a standard cassette.

It's voodoo, I tell ya!

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

It's also not a standard cassette.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Snaguaro posted:

It's also not a standard cassette.

drat stupid picture!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

drat stupid picture!

Apparently "reading" is the obsolete technology, since the article was only 200 words long.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Collateral Damage posted:

LOAD"GIANA SISTERS",8,1

I suspect most people went with the lazy shortcut and used LOAD"*",8,1 for everything.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Apparently "reading" is the obsolete technology, since the article was only 200 words long.

Well duh, all important news come in 140 characters or less these days.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pham Nuwen posted:

I can see how it's possible to misread the title, "Sony Crams 3,700 Blu-Rays' Worth of Storage in a Single Cassette Tape", and the part of the story that says, "meaning a cassette could hold 185 TB of data".

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can see how it's possible to misread the title, "Sony Crams 3,700 Blu-Rays' Worth of Storage in a Single Cassette Tape", and the part of the story that says, "meaning a cassette could hold 185 TB of data".

Took you a while to learn journalism is poo poo huh.

The actual article did make it relatively clear eventually but dumb sensationalist headlines have been par for the course since journalism was invented.

edit: as for my favourite not quite but basically obsolete technology for a lot of the world now: non-digital radio.

I still remember living in germany with my dad cooking to an incredibly crackly, barely understandable broadcast of The Archers on a huge radio with a time zone map of the world on it while cooking. These days he does the same but on his iPad with every other word doubling up because of his lovely connection. The more things change...

NLJP has a new favorite as of 21:48 on May 4, 2014

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

m2pt5 posted:

I suspect most people went with the lazy shortcut and used LOAD"*",8,1 for everything.

Yep! I remember some stuff I couldn't do this with though, it'd explicitly tell me that I needed to specify the program name to load.

This is because LOAD"*" grabs the first title and loads it, and some software didn't have the main program as the first program on the disk. Maybe the manual/demos/a pile of other pirated stuff since no one ever had legit copies of software on the C64 came first in the index. :v:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Humphreys posted:

These wonderful places

If there is one thing I miss from VA it's this place http://www.goochlanddriveintheater.com/. Hell they even managed to get upgraded to a pure digital setup.

$8 bucks to see 2 movies, food is way way cheaper than other theaters, no idiots making enough noise to bother me. Can't beat $3.75 for an honestly large thing of popcorn :sun: Though I usually got a burger.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

SYS64738

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
10 PRINT "BONERS"
20 GOTO 10

I still make mine do this occasionally. The classics never die.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Code Jockey posted:

10 PRINT "BONERS"
20 GOTO 10

I still make mine do this occasionally. The classics never die.

I used to do that on Radio Shack display computers except I would substitute "Radio Shack sucks" for boners.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

NLJP posted:

edit: as for my favourite not quite but basically obsolete technology for a lot of the world now: non-digital radio.

I still remember living in germany with my dad cooking to an incredibly crackly, barely understandable broadcast of The Archers on a huge radio with a time zone map of the world on it while cooking. These days he does the same but on his iPad with every other word doubling up because of his lovely connection. The more things change...

Tell that to my car