Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Ohranger isn't garbage, it's just called that because it made Sentai's ratings and popularity in the red, but that's not a mark on it.

Many people have said the same thing about Go Busters and it's very popular with the fanbase, vocal minority aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
Fair enough, though I've also heard it has a really inconsistent tone. Apparently they were going to have the villains be terrorists, but had to change things up after the Sarin gas incident.

Have you seen it all the way through? What were your thoughts, worth taking a look?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Yeah, just got done watching him punch his way out of a Gouma monster while screaming "Kujaku!" and crying. I like Daigo and I even like the Kujaku subplot, but man has that thing gotten pretty overblown and intense quickly :emo:

Shouji and Kou are probably my two favorite characters at this point.

And thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'll definitely give Jetman a shot, and if I'm not all Sentai'ed out by that point, I may move on to Kakuranger, Shinkenger, or Gokaiger. I also have a perverse sense of curiousity about Ohranger...I have fond memories of the early Zeo episodes, they were the last bit of PR that I watched. I've heard Ohranger is garbage though, and it hasn't been fully subbed yet, right?

Very little has been subbed, as far as I can see, that isn't likely to be changed any time soon. If you must go for a mid-90s halfway subbed show there's always Carranger. What is available is quite good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's kinda hilarious how Ohranger is a black sheep for Sentai while Zeo is probably the most solidly made Saban season and is often regarded as one of the best seasons of Power Rangers and Carranger is considered a classic season in Japan while Turbo is probably the worst pre-New Saban season of Power Rangers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Turbo was pretty good once they replaced the entire cast.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Turbo's main problems are shrill, incompetant (and not in a good way like Lothor's faction) villains, the cast screwup not making any sense, and with zero build up, replaicng Zordon around the same time with even less of a buildup and replacing him with Poochy and The Question, and having a weird inconsistent tone similar to what happened with Ohranger, and it picked up enough in the second half with those issues that In Space could happen.

That being said, I'll take entertainingly bad over boring and rushed like Megaforce and Samurai.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 4, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah the quality of a PR season is pretty much inversely related to the quality of the sentai series.

RPM, man. loving RPM. And I never watched Timeranger but that one's pretty bad, too, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sockser posted:

Yeah the quality of a PR season is pretty much inversely related to the quality of the sentai series.

RPM, man. loving RPM. And I never watched Timeranger but that one's pretty bad, too, right?

I'm pretty sure Timeranger is considered one of the better series.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sockser posted:

Speaking of RPM, I'm about to start watching it. I know exactly three things about the season:

1. When they made it, they thought it would be the final season;
2. It's really good;
3. It's also way darker than other seasons.

Shall I post my impressions as I make my way through the episodes?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sure, it's always fun to see people respond to shows. :)
Do keep in mind that though it is "darker" it's still a Power Rangers show. :v:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

But people like Go-Onger and Timeranger, so that theory doesn't hold up. They're really differen compared to PR, mind, but they're not reviled either.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Basically, how my friend summed it up to me, Power Rangers is at its best when it's trying to be serious, while Sentai is at its best when trying to be goofy.

E: Or is that wrong? I only watched the sentai versions of the series I actually liked.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Senerio posted:

Basically, how my friend summed it up to me, Power Rangers is at its best when it's trying to be serious, while Sentai is at its best when trying to be goofy.

E: Or is that wrong? I only watched the sentai versions of the series I actually liked.

Shinkenger and Go-busters are mostly serious and they're both awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Probably more accurate to say that Sentai is most POPULAR when it's goofy? Didn't Carranger do crazy-good ratings. while Turbo's tanked? And I know Kamen Rider Den-O is a huge cash cow, and was a pretty silly show/character, compared to Ryuki, or Kiva, or Kabuto.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Senerio posted:

I've heard this before, but it's absolutely false. Shinkenger and Go-Busters, definitely on the serious side of Sentai, are some of the best I've watched, while Go-onger is poo poo and it's goofy as hell.

Not to say Sentai does goofy wrong 100% of the time, Kyoryuger was great. Dekaranger too, though that one was more middle of the road than outright comedic, I guess.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Senerio posted:

In short: That's wrong.
In pretentious: While the overall tone of Sentai series (plural) vary significantly, every year will still have both goofy filler episodes, and a final arc where poo poo has gotten real. A goofy filler episode can be anywhere from completely asinine (Go-Onger) or absolutely hilarious (Kyoryuger), and the drama can be anywhere between legitimately compelling (Shinkenger) to falling flat on its face (Gekiranger). It really all comes down to what the writing staff for the year is good at, and how well they work with their strengths and weaknesses within the guidelines of the franchise.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I am disturbed by all this slander against Best Sentai Go-Onger. There's nothing quite like Sousuke and Speedor having a high-drama bro-bonding moment, where Speedor is currently the size of a toy and is clutched in Sousuke's hands. Or when Gunpei is mistaken for a sexual predator when he attempts to bribe a child with a briefcase full of candy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd honestly say that PR is generally at its best the further it is from the source sentai. Megaforce is an exception

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In short: That's wrong.
In pretentious: While the overall tone of Sentai series (plural) vary significantly, every year will still have both goofy filler episodes, and a final arc where poo poo has gotten real. A goofy filler episode can be anywhere from completely asinine (Go-Onger) or absolutely hilarious (Kyoryuger), and the drama can be anywhere between legitimately compelling (Shinkenger) to falling flat on its face (Gekiranger). It really all comes down to what the writing staff for the year is good at, and how well they work with their strengths and weaknesses within the guidelines of the franchise.

Gekiranger's drama worked fine. :colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
For me, the quality of a good power rangers series tends to be more... serious about itself when it needs to be? Its kinda like the Flash Gordon issue - with source material often being as silly as it is, you either need to make it a self aware parody, or something that can play itself so straight that the show convinces you to roll with it. And half assing it doesn't tend to bring great results: the first half of Turbo failed on the former because of the dispute on whether to work with Carranger's comedy or against it; the first half of Megaforce (or just plain old Megaforce in the title listing) fails on the latter because of how it rushes through things and skimps over characters, so that there's nothing to convince you its anything more than a quick, cheap edit of another show.

I think the latter then also is why series with more original aspects to them, from the sentai material, have a tendency to work better, or certainly find more approval with the fans. Its easier to tell a convincing story when its your story, and not you slotting in tiny slithers of original material from someone else's. Characters like Andros, Leo, or Wes can have their story arcs better followed and explored through the series because they were made for the series, rather than being existing characters that were tailored with other actors in mind.

Now obviously, there are exceptions to any rule, but I think and hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

On /m/ recently, In Power Rangers General, I stumbled upon a behind the scenes post explaining the writing conflict between Jon Tzachor and Judd Lynn between Turbo and Time Force

http://deriksmith.livejournal.com/4099.html

Basically, the only reason these seasons weren't like Samurai and Megaforce was because there was compromises in writing.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 5, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

On /m/ recently, I stumbled upon a behind the scenes wriitng stuff between Turbo and Time Force

Basically, the only reason these seasons weren't like Samurai and Megaforce was because there was compromises in writing.

...Man, I knew about some of that stuff, but holy hell.

I suppose though this does present one advantage to the sentai and power rangers having grown so far apart production wise (though one wishes they weren't as far apart as they are now), in that the writers can know ahead of time what the series they're working with does/doesn't have.

Rather than finding out that the time travel sentai doesn't do time travel because Japan.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
There's a new Coke commercial with some people sitting around eating take out and I SWEAR the current Pink ranger is one of the girls in it. Anyone else seen it? It's for their new slim box 6 pack drinks.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

There's a new Coke commercial with some people sitting around eating take out and I SWEAR the current Pink ranger is one of the girls in it. Anyone else seen it? It's for their new slim box 6 pack drinks.

Doesn't seem too crazy, the green ranger is in a Best Buy ad :

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So this just happened:

http://t.co/kUpGlasdq4

Personal feeling is... cautiously hopeful. I mean, this could potentially tie into the recent formation of a South African subsection, and nearly twenty years on, the MMPR guys ARE pretty much still the iconic iteration outside of maybe Samurai by sheer viewership count. On one level, I would say Lionsgate actually has a decent enough history with films involving low level superhuman stuntwork, but writing wise... more questionably so. On another level, Pacific Rim showed you can bring good, giant robot action to the big screen even through CGI, but then, Pacific Rim was also a very expensive film. And whilst this film could be a good chance to modernise and look back on the core aspects of the franchise, seeing what did and didn't work to make the series so popular to begin with, its also possible that they will muck this up and the fanbase will be shattered even further than it already is.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Mikl posted:

Speaking of RPM, I'm about to start watching it. I know exactly three things about the season:

1. When they made it, they thought it would be the final season;
2. It's really good;
3. It's also way darker than other seasons.

Shall I post my impressions as I make my way through the episodes?

Dark? Not really. But there's a good half-dozenish episodes where the plot just keeps going from one episode right to the next.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Astro Nut posted:

So this just happened:

http://t.co/kUpGlasdq4

Personal feeling is... cautiously hopeful. I mean, this could potentially tie into the recent formation of a South African subsection, and nearly twenty years on, the MMPR guys ARE pretty much still the iconic iteration outside of maybe Samurai by sheer viewership count. On one level, I would say Lionsgate actually has a decent enough history with films involving low level superhuman stuntwork, but writing wise... more questionably so. On another level, Pacific Rim showed you can bring good, giant robot action to the big screen even through CGI, but then, Pacific Rim was also a very expensive film. And whilst this film could be a good chance to modernise and look back on the core aspects of the franchise, seeing what did and didn't work to make the series so popular to begin with, its also possible that they will muck this up and the fanbase will be shattered even further than it already is.

Woooooooow.

This is going to be hilariously bad. Can't wait.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Solaris Knight posted:

On /m/ recently, In Power Rangers General, I stumbled upon a behind the scenes post explaining the writing conflict between Jon Tzachor and Judd Lynn between Turbo and Time Force

And then he came back to be executive producer for RPM, which was amazing.

And he's on-board for Dino Charge, so I'm more optimistic than I was previously.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Woooooooow.

This is going to be hilariously bad. Can't wait.

Not necessarily. It all depends on what the actual plot is going to be and the quality of the writers involved.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I got a sliver of hope because some original people involved in some capacity, unlike many other reboots/remakes that are being pumped out right now. I'm not that excited though, especially considering we don't have any release date scheduled, no attached writers or directors, and also the memories of the first movie still in my head.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpazmasterX posted:

Not necessarily. It all depends on what the actual plot is going to be and the quality of the writers involved.

Best to keep your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

I've always felt that one of the reasons why PR didn't do very well, domestically, is that the idea of seeing a Giant Fighting Robot Movie was an actively embarrassing thing to consider. Adding Power Rangers to it doesn't help things in that respect. Plot and writing quality come after the initial reception.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MisterBibs posted:

I've always felt that one of the reasons why PR didn't do very well, domestically, is that the idea of seeing a Giant Fighting Robot Movie was an actively embarrassing thing to consider. Adding Power Rangers to it doesn't help things in that respect. Plot and writing quality come after the initial reception.

It really isn't, otherwise Transformers would've been poo poo profit-wise.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Just hire Paul Freeman as Ivan Ooze again, but with a budget

That's all I want!

Also, I'm mad but understanding that MMPR got the movie, and not Time Force, RPM, Jungle Fury, or any other season, even Zeo.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Solaris Knight posted:

That's all I want!

Also, I'm mad but understanding that MMPR got the movie, and not Time Force, RPM, Jungle Fury, or any other season, even Zeo.

gently caress all that. Condense Go-Busters into a 2 hour movie.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yesssssssssssssssss

Actually the more I think of it, the more excited I get about what they could do with some serious money and a CG Dragonzord. Particularly if they take done design cues from Gai's Dragonzord ripoff.

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 8, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dr Tran posted:

Oui, oui, messieurs! All the parents-murdering you can ask for in 120 minutes! Trrrres bien!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr Tran posted:

I was unironically thinking that this had some serious potential.

I'm really sad that it won't see the light of day.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Solaris Knight posted:

That's all I want!

Imagine the CGI we could use to knee him in the groin nowadays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

How do you even do the villain for an MMPR gritty reboot?

I wonder if they'll keep Titanus.