Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing Spider-Man sale on Comixology. I remember Nerd rage hitting critical mass around the Alpha period, if I wanted the full Alpha experience what issues do I need? 692-994?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LordPants posted:

Amazing Spider-Man sale on Comixology. I remember Nerd rage hitting critical mass around the Alpha period, if I wanted the full Alpha experience what issues do I need? 692-994?
The reason why Alpha sucked is because Slott was pretending he was an "Alpha level threat", that being, stronger than people like Phoenix, or Hulk, or Omega-level mutants like Iceman. It was dumb. Luckily he has been dropped and ignored! His on-going wasn't bad.

Those three are the issues though involved with Spider-Man though, yeah.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Which books on the comixology sale are worth getting? I picked up Spidey Blue with the store credit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tezzeract posted:

Which books on the comixology sale are worth getting? I picked up Spidey Blue with the store credit.
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1 and Spider-Man Masterworks are really good too. Nova and Annihilation are great, but they're part of large, pretty long stories.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dark Horse giving away free Star Wars comics.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/02/digital-comics-deals-ahead-of-free-comic-book-day/

(I know people dislike Bleeding Cool links here, but it's the easier way for me when posting on my phone.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Flameingblack posted:

The reason why Alpha sucked is because Slott was pretending he was an "Alpha level threat", that being, stronger than people like Phoenix, or Hulk, or Omega-level mutants like Iceman. It was dumb. Luckily he has been dropped and ignored! His on-going wasn't bad.

Those three are the issues though involved with Spider-Man though, yeah.

He was also kind of insufferable.

Apparently his mini was pretty good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Uthor posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/02/digital-comics-deals-ahead-of-free-comic-book-day/

(I know people dislike Bleeding Cool links here, but it's the easier way for me when posting on my phone.)
Here's a direct link for the people that care.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Much thanks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How're the old 1977 Marvel Star Wars comics they're collecting?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aw, man...I got screwed on Amazon buying out Comixology. I had added $120 in iTunes gift cards I was gonna use pretty much only on comics and not iTunes money can't be used for comics.

Bummer. :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

Aw, man...I got screwed on Amazon buying out Comixology. I had added $120 in iTunes gift cards I was gonna use pretty much only on comics and not iTunes money can't be used for comics.

Bummer. :(

You might still be able to use them with the Marvel and Image app, as they should still use the IAP system. Tough break if you were wanting DC through.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rirse posted:

You might still be able to use them with the Marvel and Image app, as they should still use the IAP system. Tough break if you were wanting DC through.

Oh, that's still good news! I haven't been reading any DC lately. And it looks like you can synch your Marvel app with comiXology, too, so it's pretty much the same thing!

EDIT: And the Image app is already automatically synced with comiXology! God, I hope Amazon doesn't figure this loophole out any time soon.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 3, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Phylodox posted:

Oh, that's still good news! I haven't been reading any DC lately. And it looks like you can synch your Marvel app with comiXology, too, so it's pretty much the same thing!

EDIT: And the Image app is already automatically synced with comiXology! God, I hope Amazon doesn't figure this loophole out any time soon.

I think Marvel is automatic too? It definitely is instantaneous when buying through the Marvel website.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PoshAlligator posted:

I think Marvel is automatic too? It definitely is instantaneous when buying through the Marvel website.

Yeah, but unlike the Image app, which just uses your comiXology account, the Marvel app asks you to set up a separate account so that if you want to load stuff up in the comiXology app you need to link those two accounts together. Unless you can just log into the Marvel app with your comiXology credentials which, admittedly, I didn't try, so...

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Is comiXology not doing Free Comic Book Day? Or does it just update later?

I drove by my local shop getting breakfast this morning and the line is loving ridiculous. I would love to partake but I have plans that take up almost all my day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is comiXology not doing Free Comic Book Day? Or does it just update later?

They usually have at least some of the books up. My store tends to have extras available during the week, too.

Speaking of:
196 Image Comics #1 issues: free
https://www.comixology.com/Image-Free-Firsts/list/2090

22 comiXology Submit comics: free (get Demeter, The Only Living Boy is pretty good, too)
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Free-comiXology-Submit-Comics-Limited-Time-Only/list/2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I honestly don't care at all that I can't make in-app purchases because I never liked doing that anyway - I'd much rather buy stuff all at once than incur a bunch of tiny itunes store charges that take forever to show up in my bank account. But potentially having to redownload everything is a pain in the rear end. Although, as near as I can tell, there's nothing stopping me from just continuing to use the old app? Unless it's just going to disappear from my ipad at some point?

Yeah I have to say this may actually work out better for me in that impulse buys will drop....but ever since I switched to the eBay method.....hey I try and support certain people with subs (Hawkeye), my impulse purchase have dropped dramatically (well not the eBay ones).

I'm not sure what the huge issue is on redownloading comics, unless your on a capped bandwidth plan, I used to have to do it all the time since I only have a 16 gig iPad. Ironically my new note has a ton more space since I can just use SD cards.

That said the public at large....well kind of seems pissed. lol

Honestly I wish there was a drat way to remove comics permanently from ones library. So much random crap I'd love to thin out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So two questions about Marvel Unlimited;

1) How unlimited is it (Besides the 6 month time lag)? Would I need to pick up, say GNs of Runaways if I went for it?

2) How is the Android App?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ConanThe3rd posted:

So two questions about Marvel Unlimited;

1) How unlimited is it (Besides the 6 month time lag)? Would I need to pick up, say GNs of Runaways if I went for it?

2) How is the Android App?

1) Runaways is all up, last I checked.

2) loving awful. And the web interface isn't much better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are odds and ends you might find missing. The biggest thing is the complete lack of the 'Max' adults only comics.
The Android app seems fine from about a week ago when it updated and fixed everything I hated about it (not fullscreen, broken zooming.)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waterhaul posted:

Image just decided to team up with HumbleBundle for some ridiculously cheap comics :stare:

You are looking at some of the best comics of the last year for nothing.

Hey for once reading the previous posts didn't lead me finding a really great deal...that expired. Granted DRM free is well odd since I can't add to Comixology. What's the other nice default comic reader for iOS? I do have one, but it can't recall the name. It was decent and had syncing features, but I have no clue if a better one was available.

Edit: it was comic book lover.

Sarchasm posted:

Let me second that the android app was totally crap.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 4, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

As said above the Android app is definitely better now than it was a couple weeks ago, but it still lacks basic the basic functionality you can find in even a second- or third-tier CBR reader (fixed width, tap to zoom, etc).

It's usable, but only just.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Uthor posted:

I remember enjoying the Rogue Squadron books, but I'm not sure if they hold up anymore. Tales of the Jedi was neat too.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/1809.star-wars-omnibus-x-wing-rogue-squadron-volume-3/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

So yeah, not worth the money then.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Android web app is terrible, but it's usable. I thought it was worth the money, considering I spend more than $10 on comics a week anyway and I could easily just spend that money right now reading back issues that I've missed and waiting for trades.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

If you're buying to read on your phone, then absolutely not. If you have a decent-sized Android tablet, you might be okay.

They have specials from time to time, so you could just wait for one of those and try it out for yourself. A couple months ago you could get a one-month subscription for just $.99.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ConanThe3rd posted:

If you have an iPad or a 10" Android tablet, MU works great and is an exceptional value. If you want to try to read per-panel on an Android phone just smash your own testicles with a hammer instead

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day is a crapton of Star Wars comics, if you like things that didn't happen anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=pe_170810_118169620_pe_row1_b3/?node=9064023011

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's no reason to dissuade someone from using Unlimited on Android now. The biggest problem I have with it since update is the length it takes to swipe a page across.

Previously it wouldn't let you launch offline to read your offline comics, buttons took multiple presses to do anything, it would download previews instead of full issues unless you opened the comic first, there was a boarder around the page for no reason and zooming just magnified pixels instead of increasing resolution.
Maybe you had to live through that, but it being just fine and a simply functional reader is a beautiful thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 4, 2014

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

I'm a newish subscriber to Unlimited, and (for me) it's 100% worth the price. I'm using a retina iPad, and the comics are entirely readable without pinching & zooming. I wish the organization system was a bit better, but that's my only complaint. Otherwise I 100% recommend it if you're interested in Marvel's recent back catalog.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

vtlock posted:

I'm a newish subscriber to Unlimited, and (for me) it's 100% worth the price. I'm using a retina iPad, and the comics are entirely readable without pinching & zooming. I wish the organization system was a bit better, but that's my only complaint. Otherwise I 100% recommend it if you're interested in Marvel's recent back catalog.

Yeah I am thinking about at least getting a month of Unlimited. I liked how the quality of the issues were when I tested it on my Nexus 7. Is it like PS+ on the Playstation where you can download the issues and they work so long it knows your still subscribed? Or I can only view the issues while on wifi?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

You can have 12 issues downloaded to the device at a time, but at least on Android the process for doing this is kind of clunky and inefficient. I still think Unlimited is worth the price and the latest update for the Android app was a huge improvement, but there's a lot more that could be done to improve it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're on wifi you can read all you want. Outside of that, you can download up to 12 issues.

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Marvel's Monday sale at Comixology is a bunch of Jason Aaron books.

I'm interested in Ultimate Captain America, Astonishing Spiderman and Wolverine, and to a lesser extent, Wolverine: Weapon X. How are these generally regarded?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Ruzaii posted:

Marvel's Monday sale at Comixology is a bunch of Jason Aaron books.

I'm interested in Ultimate Captain America, Astonishing Spiderman and Wolverine, and to a lesser extent, Wolverine: Weapon X. How are these generally regarded?

I absolutely adore Astonish Spider-Man and Wolverine. It's the book that got me back into comics. It's just a wonderful story about Spider-Man and Wolverine. Pretty fun. Definitely worth $6.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I loved the first arc of Weapon X with Ron Garney on art. In fact, I'm buying it again in this sale!

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Thanks for the input. Will pick up Astonishing and probably the first bit of Weapon X.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Has there been any chatter about a merging of Kindle and comixology libraries? Kindle books can be dirt cheap sometimes, but the Kindle comics reader sucks. I have to imagine that there isn't a ton of incentive for them to maintain both technologies at this point, so a merge seems inevitable, but I wonder about a couple things:
- Will they merge a customer's Kindle and comixology libraries? Is it worth buying a really cheap Kindle book now, speculating that that we'll be able to read it in the comixology app down the road?
- What about books that are on Kindle but not comixology yet?
- Will prices in general move down to Kindle prices or up to comixology?

For example, Saga Vol. 1 is 5.30 on Kindle, 9.99 on comixology. March book 1 is 3.99 on Kindle, 7.99 on comixology. American Vampire Vol. 6 is 9.99 on Kindle, 14.99 on comixology.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ruzaii posted:

Thanks for the input. Will pick up Astonishing and probably the first bit of Weapon X.

It might also tie into Original Sin.

The deal today is the Death of Superman! and other Doomsday stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Batman and Son Deluxe for $6:
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Batman-and-Son-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/68457

I haven't really read Morrison's Batman (other than a few things here and there), but I generally am up on what went on during his run. Is this something worth picking up and reading as a stand alone volume? It's a lot of comics for $6, $1 after using the $5 credit comiXology/Amazon gave away.