Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ape Agitator posted:

I just moved to Oregon and saw those commercials and they're strange but very, very Oregon. What's amazing is that the website is as much of a disaster as it is. As far as I can glean, they contracted with a recognized company for the website (Oracle) with a reasonable development timeline and it completely poo poo the bed. His outrage would be fine if the website worked, but as mentioned it's like the band on the Titanic was playing folk music instead of classical.

Oracle making GBS threads the bed shouldn't really be news to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Haha the company behind that twee as gently caress Oregon healthcare exchange ad that Oliver went off on is Real Fuckin Mad.

quote:

You have to be a stupid loving idiot to think advertising can actually help improve the quality of people's lives.

Well he's got a point there.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's difficult to improve people's lives with healthcare when the Oregon healthcare website, to this day, after spending untold riches, has yet to successfully sign a single person up for healthcare.

Oregon spent 303 million dollars in federal grants on a website that doesn't work at all, and then advertised that website on television over and over again. That is incredible, and people should be fired and perhaps even investigated.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

It's difficult to improve people's lives with healthcare when the Oregon healthcare website, to this day, after spending untold riches, has yet to successfully sign a single person up for healthcare.

Oregon spent 303 million dollars in federal grants on a website that doesn't work at all, and then advertised that website on television over and over again. That is incredible, and people should be fired and perhaps even investigated.

They're going to be heading up some projects for the next iteration of the olympics.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

emjayo posted:

He really, really likes Jon Stewart.

I would really like any employer who treats me the way John Stewart treats Oliver. It makes me love him more that he's so gracious and helpful about getting his people their own gigs. The Daily Show has produced some big names now and I have no doubt a lot of that is due to Stewart.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
HOW DARE YOU SAY I TAKE MONEY

That seriously still has me cracking up every time I think about it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I would really like any employer who treats me the way John Stewart treats Oliver. It makes me love him more that he's so gracious and helpful about getting his people their own gigs. The Daily Show has produced some big names now and I have no doubt a lot of that is due to Stewart.

TDS has the perfect format for launching careers, because correspondents can get a lot of airtime, their name is almost always said by Jon/printed onscreen every time they appear, yet the show isn't so dependent on any one correspondent that there's ill will when they move on.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I watched The Daily Show for many years but it's incredibly stale and repetitive by now. This feels like a faster, meaner, unbloated TDS and it's really great!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Do they post previews anywhere on what we can expect from the show tonight?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I really hope they upload it to HBO go immediately instead of waiting for a whole day like last week. I want to watch it after Game of Thrones :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

How are u posted:

I really hope they upload it to HBO go immediately instead of waiting for a whole day like last week. I want to watch it after Game of Thrones :(

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

"Upload time"? TV execs wonder why piracy of tv shows is so rampant (hint: it has something to do with pirated streaming sites having 720p streams up within ~3 minutes of airing finishing). Want to compete with illegal service providers? Try providing a better service than them and you know, not wait a whole day (or even a minute) for no reason at all to upload episodes of shows. There's no reason at all that services like HBOGo shouldn't have episodes available as soon a they begin airing. If you prefer people to watch on TV because of increased ad revenue, just have increased ads if someone is watching at the same time it's airing on TV. Jesus Christ, it's not hard.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shakugan posted:

"Upload time"? TV execs wonder why piracy of tv shows is so rampant (hint: it has something to do with pirated streaming sites having 720p streams up within ~3 minutes of airing finishing). Want to compete with illegal service providers? Try providing a better service than them and you know, not wait a whole day (or even a minute) for no reason at all to upload episodes of shows. There's no reason at all that services like HBOGo shouldn't have episodes available as soon a they begin airing. If you prefer people to watch on TV because of increased ad revenue, just have increased ads if someone is watching at the same time it's airing on TV. Jesus Christ, it's not hard.

I can see it being a combination of CDN screwiness combined with the relatively short time between "filming concludes" and "episode airs". If nothing else, there's a lot less time between the two than there is with Game of Thrones.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Technogeek posted:

I can see it being a combination of CDN screwiness combined with the relatively short time between "filming concludes" and "episode airs". If nothing else, there's a lot less time between the two than there is with Game of Thrones.

When are Real Time episodes usually uploaded, for comparison purposes?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Technogeek posted:

When streaming piracy sites who have no access to anything until it's finished airing on TV (they literally tape the show, encode it into a high quality low size file, and then upload the file to hundreds of servers) can get something up in minutes of it finishing airing, there's really no technical excuse as to why the networks who actually broadcast these shows shouldn't be able to do the same.

Point being, saying the reason is "upload time" is undoubtedly a lie. The intended reason is so more people will watch the show live, resulting in increased ad revenue (because more ads are shown and are "unskippable" during live broadcast) and neilson rating bragging rights. Of course, this is incredibly misguided as it results in tons of people who want to watch the show as soon as they can getting it where they can (since it's not available through official channels, people will look elsewhere), resulting in absolutely no ad revenue. There's also no reason they couldn't provide exactly the same service online as you get on tv (episode comes online at exactly the time it starts airing, has unskippable adbreaks of the same length and skipping forward in the episode isn't possible).

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shakugan posted:

The intended reason is so more people will watch the show live, resulting in increased ad revenue (because more ads are shown and are "unskippable" during live broadcast)

...on HBO.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Technogeek posted:

...on HBO.

Ah, HBO doesn't have ads? Then it's even more ridiculous.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Shakugan posted:

Ah, HBO doesn't have ads? Then it's even more ridiculous.

Yeah, premium cable is the one place where online and DVR viewings matter as much as live watches. HBO's goal is to maintain their subscriber base, and the cable companies get their cut either way, so no one cares.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah they put Game of Thrones episodes up on HBOGO the exact moment the episode airs on the channel and Game of Thrones is getting millions and millions of viewers. There's zero justification for not being able to do the same thing with a far less popular show an hour after Game of Thrones finishes airing. It's quite goofy, shame on you HBO.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

How are u posted:

Yeah they put Game of Thrones episodes up on HBOGO the exact moment the episode airs on the channel and Game of Thrones is getting millions and millions of viewers. There's zero justification for not being able to do the same thing with a far less popular show an hour after Game of Thrones finishes airing. It's quite goofy, shame on you HBO.

Especially considering they're posting segments for tonights episodes on youtube already.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I think I now understand why Cat videos are so popular now.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Will they be uploading this on Youtube again?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
This episode is so much better than last weeks.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Well I sure hope John doesn't wake up dead tomorrow.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

This episode is so much better than last weeks.

Ehh, The death Penalty stuff was pretty weak I thought.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Yea the death penalty stuff is way too well trod to be remotely good material.

Brunei stuff was good but the episode was really hamstrung by the drawn out death penalty junk

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Damiya posted:

Yea the death penalty stuff is way too well trod to be remotely good material.

Brunei stuff was good but the episode was really hamstrung by the drawn out death penalty junk

It's last week, tonight! Yet another botched lethal injection was a big deal, so I'd imagine it's better to get the bullshit out of the way now while it's still relevant.

A lot of people already know John Oliver and The Daily Show, but I can't blame a new program for wanting to set a precedent on its viewpoint. I only hope that the next time death penalty shenanigans shows up, they'll be able to sidestep what they belabored this week to hammer in the punchlines.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Agreed. As a Brit, I can understand John wanting to generally lay out where he's coming from if and when he takes another stand in future on the matter. I suppose this is a gross example, but when people complain about superheroes like Superman or Batman refusing to kill (outside of recent film incarnations, admittedly), they don't seem to understand the concept that some people really do not see the Death Penalty as an immediate answer.

I do think though that adding the 'And Now' for the little segments where ad breaks would normally be really does help with going from one segment to the next. Just feels... like there's more of a flow, I guess.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
The official Youtube channel put up two web exclusive videos.

POM Wonderful reply to John's segment from last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bml8KwCmob8

An interview with Vice journalist Simon Ostrovsky about being held captive in Ukraine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6JhcjbWEwg

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If they focus on the stories that should get reported on but are being ignored I'll be happy.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If they focus on the stories that should get reported on but are being ignored I'll be happy.

That's a great way to distinguish the show from The Daily Show too, since for the most part TDS is a commentary on how the stories that are reported on are covered.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think that was a good second episode. Echoing everyone else who recognizes the brief little asides as being a good replacement for commercials for pacing and giving the show some flow. Makes it feel much better even if it does feel a bit strange because they're over so quickly.

I got a few good things out of the death penalty segment so that was good. Pointing out the percentage of the UK that wants to have the death penalty was a nice way to show that desire isn't uniquely ours. Given he was comfortable about sharing his own views, I was surprised he waffled on the last bit about the family deciding though. Maybe he's just undecided. It was a long, long bit and if it wasn't for the promise of tiny burritos running out of steam like that would have been really disappointing. But then there were tiny burritos.

Thurm posted:

This is why I'm so glad he has a show. His performance is so drat great, just dissecting a letter and it's magical. This segment makes me wish that he had a "however much time you need" 30-45 minute window for his show.

quote:

An interview with Vice journalist Simon Ostrovsky about being held captive in Ukraine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6JhcjbWEwg

This would have been awkward but great in the show. It's not particularly funny and he doesn't drive the interview especially hard, but he's not bad in there. But it's a good subject and some nice context for Ukraine where most of what I get is high level detail. Put into the show, I'm not so sure. It's an interview that needs to happen but John isn't necessarily the person who should be doing the interviewing. I'm sure it's a confluence of Vice and HBO to get him there but it would have felt more like an obligation to be more TDS-like to have it in the show. Maybe having more freedom with the structure and design of the show is something they can play with. Include an interview occasionally if it's really good and if John brings his A game, otherwise youtube it so it gets out there a little bit without impacting the flow of the show.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Thurm posted:

Man, with only his first episode, he got two separate corporations (albeit of varying sizes) to respond to his segments. I seriously want to see who else he takes shots at, if it'll be like this.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the show is much, much stronger covering foreign affairs. Particularly given that there's huge overlap between "foreign events" and "things no one else in american news is covering"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the show is much, much stronger covering foreign affairs. Particularly given that there's huge overlap between "foreign events" and "things no one else in american news is covering"

Agreed and I think he knows that. It already feels a lot like The Bugle. I did love the Other Countries' Presidents of the United States bit. Add that to workplace of the week on a consistent cycle please.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I'm just not finding the same caché with:

Last Week Tonight: A Visual Newspaper for a Visual World!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm just not finding the same caché with:

Last Week Tonight: A Visual Newspaper for a Visual World!

Maybe it'll make more sense once they figure out what section to throw straight into the bin.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The second episode definitely seemed to have a bit more room to breathe and I really like the international slant - although I still think that will be the death of the show. I actually enjoyed the death penalty bit, I just found it a bit sad that actually vaguely discussing an issue needed so much build up and apology.

also gently caress rick perry

Thurm posted:

This was great.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

I actually enjoyed the death penalty bit, I just found it a bit sad that actually vaguely discussing an issue needed so much build up and apology.

The Death Penalty is up there with abortion and religion as an issue people can't ever discuss rationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

How are u posted:

They finish editing the show right before it airs, and the amount of encoding for all the different platforms that HBO GO runs on takes forever, and a 1080p HD version of a 30 minute show is a HUGE File. Not considering all the other file types.

It does take a long time to upload those files, hours for each

seaborgium posted:

Especially considering they're posting segments for tonights episodes on youtube already.

Do you know the difference between youtube compression and Pure HD, as well as 5 min videos vs 30? Also, 1 version for youtube Vs at least 10 for HBO Go.

You guys are being ridiculous about this. Its obviously not a conscious choice.

• Locked thread