Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Saagonsa posted:

The manga has new chapters being released monthly.

In fact according to Crunchyroll the next chapter comes out in nine days

I just saw that adult swim will be showing the anime, is it worth watching/stays with the story. Plan on just reading the manga anyway, but its nice to have some music to go along with it in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the anime is true to everything aside from the last 15 minutes of the last episode, if you want to watch instead of reading I say go for it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I just saw that adult swim will be showing the anime, is it worth watching/stays with the story. Plan on just reading the manga anyway, but its nice to have some music to go along with it in my head.

A lot of people think the anime drags on a bit and theres a few extra scenes but it's pretty much the same except for the final episode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Enjoy your five minute recaps

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wait, what? The last 15 minutes are different? As in, "additional scenes that ultimately don't matter" different, or "significant change that will affect future events" different? I didn't know that - I stopped watching after the 4th episode or so, because the monologues were absolutely painful.

What I'm trying to say is, tell meeeeee :stare:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Significant changes. Just watch the last episode!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The fight with Annie ends somewhat differently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1oTN-THCSk&t=510s

Also the wall titan doesn't show up until way after all of the fighting is done and no one is around

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

Also the wall titan doesn't show up until way after all of the fighting is done and no one is around

It's so painfully obvious they needed 26 episodes and less recaps to show this. While I think the animation got a lot right the fact this was left out is really disappointing. Not only is it an incredible revelation but it's something you could never expect, and it sends even the most confident characters into a wave of crippling fear.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
They were inserting some pretty sizable filler in episodes 23 and 24, we all thought they were setting up the timing for the Wall Titan. As I recall they just vamped a little bit for the second half of the episode and pushed ahead a few scenes from the next chapter with references to the Wall Titan removed. It was kind of a pointless change, they should've either had the reveal as written or pushed it to next season entirely instead of half-assedly teasing it.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Elotana posted:

It was kind of a pointless change, they should've either had the reveal as written or pushed it to next season entirely instead of half-assedly teasing it.

A friend I recommended it to who watched it on Netflix missed the reveal entirely because they skipped the credits.

I myself didn't realize something that significant happened until I read about it in the anime thread. I thought it was just a new titan staring through a hole in the wall from the other side.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

No, Mikasa. Leave the lions alone. They're suffering enough as much as Jean is. No. Also, most of the cast has been dead for ages now. Holy poo poo.

SoT.22

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 30, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Missing Name posted:

Also, most of the cast has been dead for ages now. Holy poo poo.
It shows how much the author really liked those guys. Spoof on Titan lets him tell a few of the stories they never got a chance to share in canon, and I feel retroactively worse about how they all died so horribly.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Missing Name posted:

No, Mikasa. Leave the lions alone. They're suffering enough as much as Jean is. No. Also, most of the cast has been dead for ages now. Holy poo poo.

SoT.22

Stop abusing your authority Erwin and make some friends. :3:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zogundar posted:

A friend I recommended it to who watched it on Netflix missed the reveal entirely because they skipped the credits.

I myself didn't realize something that significant happened until I read about it in the anime thread. I thought it was just a new titan staring through a hole in the wall from the other side.

I remember thinking "When did the wall titan thing happen? I swear it should have happened by now." and then getting to the credits and being super confused. And then seeing it and still being confused what happened and then pulling from my knowledge of the manga, finally figuring it out. It must have been tremendously confusing for the few anime watchers that even saw it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i saw the anime before i read the manga and understood what happened immediately though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've spoken to two separate people who both thought it was a Titan looking through the hole, not a Titan inside the wall itself. That scene I guess wasn't as cut and dry as you'd think(I personally think they cocked it all up when they made it different from the manga)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's what I initially thought as well when I read the comic, but of course in the comic they immediately address what it is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Missing Name posted:

SoT.22
I was wondering when Sasha would show up for this. Then I realized that the entire food court would have been obliterated, thus closing down the circus temporarily.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
First season should have ended with the reveal that Titans were spotted inside of the walls so that the first episode of a theoretical season 2 would end with Mike getting devoured.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That should still happen it's such a "WHAT" moment it would be perfect.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

First season should have ended with the reveal that Titans were spotted inside of the walls so that the first episode of a theoretical season 2 would end with Mike getting devoured.

Oh man, and Monkey Trouble will probably be in every single episode's opening from now on. Reminding you of it. Every. Single. Time. :stare:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can never tell with this guy for chapter 57, did jean die or did nameless dudes die?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can never tell with this guy for chapter 57, did jean die or did nameless dudes die?

It was not Jean 100% he was in a different area.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Nameless dude.

http://imgur.com/a/1YSjZ Here is Attack on Titan 57.

Kaney Ackerman huh. Cool steampunk guns. Also confirmation that when a titan devours another titan they get their powers. I'm guessing this is almost confirmation that Eren devoured his father or Historia's tutor.

As much as I appreciate Jean being a fundamentally good person, now isn't the time to waver. They're facing a group of mass murderers complicit in the stagnation of humanity who will go so far as to kill children to maintain their superiority and Armin should have pointed this out. It's too late to have second thoughts.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 4, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yoooo 3D Maneuver GUNS. :staredog:

I like seeing the doubts here. Mikasa from the start was hosed up with the whole killing someone when she was a kid, and Armin's been growing in hosed upness for a while, but the rest were still pretty ok and seeing everything as black and white. The CEO's son's argument was also pretty nice, some people just aren't brave enough. Can't wait to see where this goes to, though the Guns Vs Swords fight is what's getting me the most hyped on.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
That chapter was really crazy. This really isn't the time to have doubts and it could really screw them over if they freeze because of it. The current authority is willing to do anything and everything to keep society the way it is and if they fail to act they're dead because no way the MP keep them alive with what they know.

The part about devouring Titan shifters and gaining their abilities was also really interesting. It makes me think that there's a possibility they might try to convince Eren to devour Annie in order to gain the skin hardening ability, but it would really feel weird for Eren to agree to it, even knowing what's on the line if he doesn't. I mean I know he threatened to do it when he wanted nothing more than to kill her, but I doubt he would ever agree to it when he's calm

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

:suspense: I hate the 'killed x 1000 dudes to prove how scary he was!' type dialogue, but this is legitimately a terrifying turn in the story. The Recon Corps is hosed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Squidster posted:

:suspense: I hate the 'killed x 1000 dudes to prove how scary he was!' type dialogue, but this is legitimately a terrifying turn in the story. The Recon Corps is hosed.

The end of the last chapter pretty much screamed "Survey Corps members are going to die horrible deaths", didn't it? Though I was expecting summary executions of the Survey Corps brass.

RIP Hange Squad :smith:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 4, 2014

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
STEAMPUNK GUNS. I'm not certain whether to write this off as absurd or awesome.

And Jesus, Erwin is just sending up death flags here. I can't say that I would be entirely surprised to see him die before the end of the manga, but now I'm getting the impression that he's going to bite it in a few chapters.

Despite recent revelations, I'm guessing there's still a way to gain titan-shifter powers without eating a titan-shifter, or else there wouldn't be any shifters to be devoured. I'm kinda wondering if the same rules apply to humans.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wonder why Bert and Ernie were trying to capture Eren instead of straight up eating him for his power then. They specifically said Eren is the worst person to have the coordinate ability.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AshB posted:

I wonder why Bert and Ernie were trying to capture Eren instead of straight up eating him for his power then. They specifically said Eren is the worst person to have the coordinate ability.

Remember it's just speculation by Hanji also the TL could be shoddy. Alternatively, they'd then have to be eaten for it to reach whoever wants it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 30, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

AshB posted:

There is probably a specific person they want to give the ability to, and if they ate Erin then they would have to be eaten themselves to pass it on

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think the chewy titan-shifter seed is incompatible with other seeds. Otherwise it would be safest for Berthold and Reiner to just eat anyone they suspected of being the Coordinate and hope for the best.

Although, hilariously, if one titan-shifter can katamari another's powers, then the fastest path to victory for humanity is for Eren to eat Annie. Bam, armoured rage titan commander.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squidster posted:

I think the chewy titan-shifter seed is incompatible with other seeds. Otherwise it would be safest for Berthold and Reiner to just eat anyone they suspected of being the Coordinate and hope for the best.

Although, hilariously, if one titan-shifter can katamari another's powers, then the fastest path to victory for humanity is for Eren to eat Annie. Bam, armoured rage titan commander.

It wouldn't be for them because it would mean they are now targets for being eaten themselves.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I get the feeling this is when Isayama originally planned to kill some of the Survey Corps trainees and changed his mind. Imagine Kaney popping out and shooting Sasha or Connie in the head right after his introduction, or somebody getting their throat slit by him last chapter.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Broseph Brostar posted:

I get the feeling this is when Isayama originally planned to kill some of the Survey Corps trainees and changed his mind. Imagine Kaney popping out and shooting Sasha or Connie in the head right after his introduction, or somebody getting their throat slit by him last chapter.
Probably right, but remember that originally Sasha was already dead by now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jackard posted:

Probably right, but remember that originally Sasha was already dead by now.

Could you tell me this story.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Could you tell me this story.

From here http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/61061174461/two-interview-snippets-from-otomedia-october-2013

quote:

Sasha has an chapter in Volume 9, but in the initial planning stages, the chapter was supposed to end with her apparent death. Isayama-san also seemed to be worrying about whether he should keep her alive, and I thought, “This looks good at first glance, but she shouldn’t die here. Isn’t there a more appropriate place for that?” As a result, by the time I looked at the returned storyboard, it had improved a lot, and I felt like I was going to cry while reading it. But I was too embarrassed to cry in front of Isayama-san, so I went to the bathroom to cry in secret. *laughs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well with that and with what happens this chapter, I'm super scared of how alive Sasha will remain for now.