Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I just unlocked Hunk's scenario in RE2 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed, even though I had no trouble with the main game. Anyone have any advice?

General advice is that you don't kill anything you can dodge, as you don't have the ammo for it. Unless you need it dead *right* this second or it will be the bigger advantage (shotgun on a cluster of zombies), use the handgun if you can get away with it. Use your herbs only when necessary and only at certain points, because there are a few places where you will definitely need them because of hard to dodge enemies or near-guaranteed poison.

Specific advice? You might want to check an actual guide, but here's specifics on the actual parts.

BASEMENT (Lumped together because it's largely easy-street if you know what you're doing):

If you are a dodging master, you can get through the basement unharmed with only about two or three shells used, killing the ones undodgeable in the first room. Realistically, you can take a hit or two and be fine, so long as the hits don't poison you. Do not heal yet. The kennel is probably the hardest basement room; when you get up the ladder immediately start running and take a quick detour into the kennel hall, just a dip in and out. This will help you dodge the dogs.

FIRST FLOOR:
Your first real problem room is the hall between the squadroom/offices and the main hall. Have the shotgun equipped and full, then the second you enter the room aim up and fire. That will kill the zombie in hug range. Aim at the group between you and the door out and fire off a shot, then either run for the door or run to the door a bit and fire again if there is one in your way.

Problem room number two is the Licker Hallway. Walk forward until the first licker drops, then as it starts to drop down run past it so you're behind it before it hits the ground. Keep walking until you get past the corner and see the second licker. Try to walk past it, then when it starts the freakout run and zig-zag across the hall. This will usually alert the third licker and get him to do a jump attack... in the wrong direction. Run and clear to the next room.

The next two rooms are problems, as you are dealing with plants. Safe way to deal with the first one is to wait until the plant rounds the corner and you can see it, then pelt it with the handgun. When it dies, leave the room and return so the second plant is reset, then run around the corner and wait for that one. Repeat. The next room, immediately run north towards the evidence locker room door, hitting either corner. Turn and start shooting with the magnum. Four shots each, use the shotgun if they don't immediately die, and you will probably get hit, but only once. Drop an herb if you are poisoned or at caution or below.

SECOND FLOOR:

Problem room five is the hall just outside the library, where Claire and Leon meet up in Claire A/Leon B. There are three enhanced lickers. They can and will murder you in one or two hits, even at full health, if they hit with their tongue or jumping attacks, and they are in prime position to surround you and claw you to death. The trick is, when you enter immediately turn to Hunk's left (i.e. to your right) and start walking. When the Licker nearby perks up, pause until it turns to you and start running for the Library door. Try to dodge whatever attack the Licker in that hallway is doing. Realistically, you'll probably take a swipe in here. If you take a jump attack and don't have an herb, restart. This is because the next two problem rooms are coming up.

Problem room six is the waiting room save room. Equip your shotgun immediately before entering and make sure it's full, then turn off Autoaim (Aiming Mode C) in the option menu. Take a running step forward then aim and fire up, then take another step or two if you are clear/not bitten before firing again. Then leave the room. This room is a tricky bastard and you will probably take a bite or two, simply because it's six or eight zombies in here and half of them are right by the door.

The final problem room is the crow hallway where you first meet Mr. X in scenario B. You see, Mr. X is between you and the door to the helipad, and the hallway's narrow enough that to get by Mr. X you're probably going to take a hit or two. So you either need enough firepower to put him down (ideally, a full clip of magnum ammo), or you need a healing item or confidence in your dodging skills so when you do get past you're fast enough to keep running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The saddest thing about the rail gun game is that the concept started out as a remake of all the original games in the engine of RE4, which would have been loving amazing, probably the definitive RE game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The saddest thing about the rail gun game is that the concept started out as a remake of all the original games in the engine of RE4, which would have been loving amazing, probably the definitive RE game.
Is there more information about this? The thought of the original games being remade in the RE4 engine gets me excited, and I want to know more about what could've been.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SRM posted:

Is there more information about this? The thought of the original games being remade in the RE4 engine gets me excited, and I want to know more about what could've been.

All that's known is that whoever it was in Capcom that wanted that to happen couldn't convince them to work out the budget for something of that scope, so they scaled it down and had Cavia continue doing more rail shooters instead. Honestly a lot of remake games are like this like all those endless remakes the early Ys games get. They're each pet projects of like ten people. It's only very recently* that we get stuff like the PS3 version of Ico where tremendous effort and care is committed in every way.

*REmake is great but something like that in 2002/2003 is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 5, 2014

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I just unlocked Hunk's scenario in RE2 and I'm getting absolutely destroyed, even though I had no trouble with the main game. Anyone have any advice?

If you want to feel even worse about yourself, here is the current record run for Hunk that was just set a week or so ago.

http://www.speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?ResidentEvil2_PC_Hunk_15966

Total Time: 1 minute and 59 Seconds.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vakal posted:

If you want to feel even worse about yourself, here is the current record run for Hunk that was just set a week or so ago.

http://www.speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?ResidentEvil2_PC_Hunk_15966

Total Time: 1 minute and 59 Seconds.

:stare: I wonder how long it took him to get that done so perfectly.

Also, "End of one nightmare, prelude to the another..." :lol:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just gonna push a 4 foot spider out of the way, run through this room of 10 zombies, and then get punched in the face by an 8 foot tall brick shithouse of undead muscle mass. Well, good job, time to sit and wait here by a crashed helicopter for my helicopter.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

Just gonna push a 4 foot spider out of the way, run through this room of 10 zombies, and then get punched in the face by an 8 foot tall brick shithouse of undead muscle mass. Well, good job, time to sit and wait here by a crashed helicopter for my helicopter.

Just another day in the Umbrella Tactical Fucksquad (tm).

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mountain Lightning posted:

General advice is that you don't kill anything you can dodge, as you don't have the ammo for it. Unless you need it dead *right* this second or it will be the bigger advantage (shotgun on a cluster of zombies), use the handgun if you can get away with it. Use your herbs only when necessary and only at certain points, because there are a few places where you will definitely need them because of hard to dodge enemies or near-guaranteed poison.

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to take breaks between attempts so I don't get too frustrated. I don't even know how someone could do that world record linked below.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Out of curiosity, what happened with 3's development?

I started with REMake, but that felt like a full game, which set up almost all future games. 2, CV, 5, and 6 referenced the events of it often. 2 felt a bit short ( our journey through a giant city consisted of a Police Station, 10 minutes in a Sewers, then another 30 in a Lab ), but played well and introduced even more people to the series. CV, 4, and 6 all reference it. Then 3 came along, reused a ton of assets from 2, retconned a whole bunch of story elements, and was never talked about again. While the Nemesis stuff was cool, it felt more like a glorified expansion pack then an actual featured game.

What makes it really strange is CV feels like the full length game I'd have called RE3. It introduces new plot points, brings back Wesker, large zone, etc.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that Carlos never showed up again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Out of curiosity, what happened with 3's development?

What makes it really strange is CV feels like the full length game I'd have called RE3. It introduces new plot points, brings back Wesker, large zone, etc.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that Carlos never showed up again.

This is exactly what happened. Work was started on CV before RE3. RE3 ended up being rushed out IIRC due to a contractual obligation to Sony. Capcom took it from nothing to complete in like seven months.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I heard CV was actually going to be RE3 while Nemesis was going to be a spin-off. However, they had signed something with Sony and they had to make Nemesis into a numbered RE (that would be why it's the only numbered title that also has a subtitle). So story-wise CV is probably more of a main title than RE3 despite its naming.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

DoctorX posted:

I heard CV was actually going to be RE3 while Nemesis was going to be a spin-off. However, they had signed something with Sony and they had to make Nemesis into a numbered RE (that would be why it's the only numbered title that also has a subtitle). So story-wise CV is probably more of a main title than RE3 despite its naming.

That's not entirely true, RE3 was supposed to be a spin-off, yes, but CV was never intended to be RE3 either.

The real RE3 started development for PS1 but moved to PS2 once the console was announced. Since Nemesis was now the final RE release on PS1 and the PS2 game would take a while until it's released they decided to change Nemesis to a numbered title. What was previously in development as RE3 changed to RE4, went through several complete changes and finally became the RE4 we all know and love.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Glorified expansion pack? You're nuts! Other than the fact that you only played as one character for the vast majority of the game, I don't think there was anything lacking in Nemesis. It even had branching paths in the story! And one of the greatest bad guys of all time in Nemesis. Nemesis makes the Terminator look like a pile of rusty bolts. If you put the Terminator through what Nemesis had to endure in 3, eventually the Terminator would get upset and just say "gently caress this, this is just too much", but not Nemesis. He never, ever stops coming. Ever. And you can't kill him, no matter what. Even now, he is rearranging his particles in the air surrounding the crater of Raccoon City. Once the fallout dissipates he will finally be able to will his cells to re-form and then he can resume going after the rest of the S.T.A.R.S. members.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I liked RE3 a lot and I'm not really sure why it's kind of a black sheep in the series. Jill actually gains some sort of character in that game (even if it's mostly just being comically stupid), and it was probably one of the nicer games when it came to giving the player necessary tools.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It came out at a time when people were moving on to other things if I recall correctly. The branching paths didn't amount to much, the environment was too similar to Resident Evil 2, Jill's choice of apparel was stupid.

I honestly never found the game all that interesting. While nemesis was a novel concept, most of my encounters I had with him were just simply running away and he never really followed you more than a few screens. Not to mention that they rehashed the whole such and such guy is a traitor again.

Edit: Also Code Veronica was on the horizon as well

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 5, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Glorified expansion pack? You're nuts! Other than the fact that you only played as one character for the vast majority of the game, I don't think there was anything lacking in Nemesis. It even had branching paths in the story! And one of the greatest bad guys of all time in Nemesis. Nemesis makes the Terminator look like a pile of rusty bolts. If you put the Terminator through what Nemesis had to endure in 3, eventually the Terminator would get upset and just say "gently caress this, this is just too much", but not Nemesis. He never, ever stops coming. Ever. And you can't kill him, no matter what. Even now, he is rearranging his particles in the air surrounding the crater of Raccoon City. Once the fallout dissipates he will finally be able to will his cells to re-form and then he can resume going after the rest of the S.T.A.R.S. members.

It reuses at least one major area from 2, and the other area just didn't do it for me. The story it tells is pointless and doesn't tell us a single thing we already didn't know, mainly focusing on how Jill got out of Racoon City. Considering the last game ended with "Jill and Chris are in Paris fyi", that wasn't exactly a story that needed to be told, and it felt very "prequel/dlc/expansion"packy.

I also wasn't fond of the "There is only Hard or Baby Easy. If you don't choose Hard, the game is so simple you'll get no enjoyment out of it." thing, compared to 1/2/CV's "Hard is survival horror, Easy is a normal game." modes.

The ammo creation idea was neat, but not well balanced as I ended up with 200+ Handgun/Shotgun ammo by the end of the game. So most of the encounters just ended with me just shooting my way through everything, but since it was Hard, everything took a few minutes to kill. That wasn't very fun at all.

Nemesis and the city being mainly streets were the only two things I really liked about the game. But even that felt underutilized.

It just didn't change enough up from 1/2 to justify it's existance, and didn't offer enough story either.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I could never really get into Code Veronica, it feels tedious and much slower paced than the first three games, it's too long for it's own good and the enviroments look boring as well.

RE3 doesn't do much to differentiate itself from RE2 but just like that game it's just fun to play.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
When CV came out the lighting was freakin impressive, that's probably all I can recall from CV

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What always comes to the forefront of my brain any time anyone mentions CV isn't the lighting or Steve or the crazy cross dresser--it's the big deal every publication I read made about "John Woo pistols akimbo dual SMGS OMG!"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I didn't like that the game stopped you from doing puzzles because Nemesis scared you too much. Now you had to defeat him or screen warp him away.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
When Code Veronica came out, it was getting rave reviews all around and it was one of the killer apps of the Dreamcast. I think it is probably still my favorite old school Resident Evil.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Lotish posted:

What always comes to the forefront of my brain any time anyone mentions CV isn't the lighting or Steve or the crazy cross dresser--it's the big deal every publication I read made about "John Woo pistols akimbo dual SMGS OMG!"

oh yeaaaa, claire also had a john woo moment in the intro, when dropping the gun and sliding down only to grab it mid air and BAM BAM
I take back what I said, CV was dope

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I liked RE3 a lot and I'm not really sure why it's kind of a black sheep in the series. Jill actually gains some sort of character in that game (even if it's mostly just being comically stupid), and it was probably one of the nicer games when it came to giving the player necessary tools.

I wonder how much of its current status has to do with its influence on the second live-action movie. I played the hell out of RE3, and the second movie is such a fanfiction.net-caliber ripoff/rewrite of it that I was ranting like an idiot as I walked out of the theater.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nemesis turning out to have a heart of gold in the movies was just proof that nobody involved in the movies creation really played the games

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I remember reading something about Jill's actress studying the character's movement to fit the role better, so there's that. It was a long time ago, though, and possibly bullshit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Resident Evil was a big enough franchise at that time that I can see that being true in terms of having no problem speaking to anyone in the production/a friend/relative whatever to see RE3 in action and watch some cutscenes for a while. This doesn't seem like a particularly out there claim. Remember this was before RE: Apocalypse was released, that first RE movie was generally well received and there was mega hype for Apocalypse for months before it came out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

A Bystander posted:

I remember reading something about Jill's actress studying the character's movement to fit the role better, so there's that. It was a long time ago, though, and possibly bullshit.
I noticed this when I watched it a couple months ago. When she walks with her gun held downward in both hands, it looks an awful lot like it does in the games. It was a nice touch in a series that has progressively less to do with the games with each passing moment.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nemesis turning out to have a heart of gold in the movies was just proof that nobody involved in the movies creation really played the games

There is a fight sequence between Alice and Wesker, I don't know which movie, but it is literally ripped straight from RE5, every single movement is identical. Wesker even does this little "lol what" head tilt when he gets tackled, exactly like he did when Chris tackled him in RE5.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
What's really funny is that that sunglasses throw from near the end of RE5 is a deliberate reference to a movie called Drive, with Mark Dacascos. When Anderson took that for the fourth movie, it's a "homage" to a "homage."

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Cant believe you didnt mention this part of that fight too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU&t=20s

The resident evil movies own. They really capture the feel of the game with all the random crazy poo poo and completely disconnected story entry to entry.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Wow, even the dogs are the ones from RE5.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The RE movies are amazing and it fills me with intense joy that work on the next one has started.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Excels posted:

There is a fight sequence between Alice and Wesker, I don't know which movie, but it is literally ripped straight from RE5, every single movement is identical. Wesker even does this little "lol what" head tilt when he gets tackled, exactly like he did when Chris tackled him in RE5.

Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74_gTzYCxeg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was really glad Apocalypse was so poorly received in that respect in time with RE4's launch and RE: Extinction just them getting the director from Highlander to be like "gently caress it let's make a mad max movie with zombies and a bunch of characters from the game." It let the film series transition into the ridiculousness it consists of now in perfect synch with the games becoming more ridiculous.

I didn't like the first RE myself, and hated Apocalypse like most people. Those movies were awful because they tried real hard to be "real" movies and have a serious atmosphere and whatever while still having some ridiculous RE elements to them (note that even RE4 itself, the ur-ridiculously awesome horror action game) makes fun of the first RE movie with its laser room). I'm not saying that's not possible, but the direction they took the movies in is a huge improvement.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I love apocalypse.

Resident Evil 3 is my favorite because it gives you plenty of ammunition. Easy mode and you just tear right through that fucker, and trying to beat the nemesis can be challenging and fun. With the dodge, quick turn, explosive barrels, and piles of ammo I really feel it's the best of the original series, in terms of how it actually plays. The branching paths really don't amount to much but it's subtle in the way that it's done and lends the game replay value. I wish I still had the Dreamcast version - it allowed you to select any of the special costumes and unlocked them all from the start of the game. It also unlocked the mercenary game from the beginning.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I haven't played RE3 yet and I think Nemesis will probably kick my rear end because I suck at dodging zombies and running away from them.

A few months ago there was a sale on PSN that included RE1-3 and I bought them. I had never played any of those before, and so far I beat RE1 and I tried to start RE2. And I say tried because I got killed twice before even reaching the first save point. I was playing on Easy, so I must really suck. I wanna keep trying though, so I'd appreciate any tips you guys could offer. I probably just need to get used to the tank controls; it's still hard for me to make the characters move the way I want them to.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In RE2 avoid any zombies you can whenever you're outside. Whenever you're indoors the game has a ton of hidden ammo boxes, mash interact everywhere, check dead bodies, etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the thing that most annoyed me about Resident Evil 3 and the Nemesis was that while fighting was optional there were rewards tied to it but a lot of the better rewards were only half. So even if you did expend a bunch of ammo you didn't need to spend you could end up with half an item for the rest of the game because you avoided him later so you didn't get the other part.

That and the ammo creation system which felt like an extra step to get what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The ammo creation system has a few hidden rewards - mixing the same type multiple times will make the amount of ammunition you make increase, after mixing enough you can also get the high damage rounds and you can mix the ammo powders with grenade rounds to make extra rounds of the more rare types, like freeze rounds.

It is true though that half of Nemesis' rewards aren't worth it. I was furious when I beat him at every opportunity on hard mode only to discover he only drops his ultimate gift on new game plus. Other than that I love it, though.

I wonder if Nicholai survived? he escaped in a helicopter in one of the paths. He was always one of my favorite characters. I love the guys who only have knives in the battle game. Someday they will release resident evil: knife ops and it'll star weaker, nicholai, and tofu.