Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Since the patch my audio, particularly spoken dialog, sounds loud as hell and echoes like crazy. I feel like therew as an EAX option before the patch but now its just "Sound Acceleration." Turning it on and off does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just started lost alpha, Sidorovich sent me to rescue Fox but I heard a gunshot and failed the mission as soon as I passed the overpass, the Sin guys in the house all just let me shoot them in the face without resistance, and now I'm not sure how I can advance the plot. Did I miss something or what? I installed the AI patch.

This same thing happened to me, just had to reload an earlier save. It seems completely random whether or not the Sin guys will shoot Fox, and if they do, whether or not they actually manage to kill him. I've been able to continue the quest and talk to the leader after they had shot him and he was wounded.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
All this talk about SIN makes me wonder what LA has done with them. The stuff I read about them made them out to be religious extremists that believed the Zone was a new Eden and sort of went a bit crazy, started mutilating themselves and turned very very violent.

It was implied that a very powerful controller had pretty much turned them into his person cult army.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Basticle posted:

Using the patch now. on Full Dynamic DX9. Runs much better.

But what the hell is this? A setting I need to change?

Let me know if you find a solution to this. It's loving me over as well.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ddraig posted:

All this talk about SIN makes me wonder what LA has done with them. The stuff I read about them made them out to be religious extremists that believed the Zone was a new Eden and sort of went a bit crazy, started mutilating themselves and turned very very violent.

It was implied that a very powerful controller had pretty much turned them into his person cult army.

They feel closer to an alt Clear Sky faction now, actually.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Thank You Card posted:

Let me know if you find a solution to this. It's loving me over as well.

I exited the game and came back in havent had it since.

Antignition posted:

Since the patch my audio, particularly spoken dialog, sounds loud as hell and echoes like crazy. I feel like therew as an EAX option before the patch but now its just "Sound Acceleration." Turning it on and off does nothing.

I get this too but only in the underground shelters with sid and wolf.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They feel closer to an alt Clear Sky faction now, actually.

Yeah, they have goals like Clear Sky (sorta) but are weird like Monolith/Zombies.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
It has been storming non-stop during my current playthrough.

ples stop ples :negative:

Edit: This game just gave me my first bluescreen ever on this system.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 3, 2014

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just started lost alpha, Sidorovich sent me to rescue Fox but I heard a gunshot and failed the mission as soon as I passed the overpass, the Sin guys in the house all just let me shoot them in the face without resistance, and now I'm not sure how I can advance the plot. Did I miss something or what? I installed the AI patch.

Replacing xr_combat_ignore.script with the original version fixed that issue with me.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just snuck up on them and blasted them in the face with my AK. Fox caught on fire for a moment but then he went back into a kneeling surrendering potion thing. It was pretty weird.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I got a PDF that was supposedly the design documents for oblivion lost from rutracker and it was a painful process to translate it. There was another faction, Last Day, that were sort of the opposite of SIN in being a literal doomsday cult who believed the Zone to be a sign of the end days.

I guess both elements got mashed together into the Monolith.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Replacing xr_combat_ignore.script with the original version fixed that issue with me.

is this a thing I can swap out mid-save or do I need to start over

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So what is Lost Alpha anyway? Does it reuse a ton of the SoC plot? Lots of locations? Or does it feel like a wholly different game with a different storyline. Getting the urge to play Stalker again, and trying to figure out if I should just play SoC or Lost Alpha.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gggiiimmmppp posted:

is this a thing I can swap out mid-save or do I need to start over

I just swapped it in mid playthrough and it still works fine.

http://pastebin.com/v4rxDRxf

Just replace your old file's contents with these and save, it should stop them from killing Fox as soon as they spawn in. Fortunately, with the rest of the tweaks the AI has still been very gun-ho about shooting me when they're supposed to.

Rookersh posted:

So what is Lost Alpha anyway? Does it reuse a ton of the SoC plot? Lots of locations? Or does it feel like a wholly different game with a different storyline. Getting the urge to play Stalker again, and trying to figure out if I should just play SoC or Lost Alpha.

It's a project that, as far as I know, started out as an attempt to recreate and flesh out the alpha builds of the first game, and ended up being its own little stand alone thing. I just got to the bar, and so far it's very similar yet at the same time different than SoC. So far the only area I've gotten to that is the same as SoC is Agroprom. Cordon, Garbage, The Bar, all have similar elements to their SoC versions, but at the same time feel and look very different. It's a cool and surreal experience. Unfortunately A-LIFE and the AI in general is in a pretty questionable state at the moment, a lot of the levels are pretty empty and there are a ton more scripted sequences in the kind of dumb and bizarre plot.

It's worth trying out if you want some new STALKER content, though, but I wouldn't recommend playing this to someone who's starting the franchise for the first time. I feel like it sort of expects you to have played through SoC first.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 3, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno I saw some cool things the AI was doing. On my way out of the bar a pack of blind dogs started rushing me. I got ready to fight em off but they ran pass me and went after a group of fleshes nearby. The only odd thing I've seen was a completely visible poltergeist hanging around the forest.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rookersh posted:

At the risk of sounding too anime, Lost Alpha is the Rebuild of Evangelion to Shadow of Chernobyl's Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Was putting poo poo in belts a thing before lost alpha. It seems really drat weird.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

At the risk of sounding too anime, Lost Alpha is the Rebuild of Evangelion to Shadow of Chernobyl's Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I was going to say Gamecube Resident Evil remake.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

floor is lava posted:

Was putting poo poo in belts a thing before lost alpha. It seems really drat weird.

It's from several of the prototypes released a couple years back. I don't think any mod actually used it until now, though, because it's kind of clunky and a pain in the rear end.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've installed the patch but still get incredibly long freezes when quick saving or opening the ESC menu.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

closeted republican posted:

It's from several of the prototypes released a couple years back. I don't think any mod actually used it until now, though, because it's kind of clunky and a pain in the rear end.

Not to mention game crashingly wrong, at some point, I think the idea was you could slot food and drink, but, the belt slots are too small, resulting in a ctd if you accidentally add them to belt, otherwise, I like it, you can have lots of artefacts, but little ammo, or strip off some artifacts and have more ammo, simply a good idea, rather haphazardly executed.

Look, all Sin needs is their own catchy music and they will click. you guys are all hopelessly wrong, Seele? you need to spend more time sitting on trains listening to dat players fighting with existential self doubt while jerking it to your mothers clone.
wat?
no, the music they need is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI_Pl5GJOsY, they are basically failed Sith.

List of modular poo poo needed in lost alpha:
1: The stash system as in sgm, buy a bag, chuck it somewhere, fill with your junk. awesome.
2: An extremely small chance (1-5%) of getting armor off a dead enemy.
3: Another colour of crap, basically denoting people who will kill you maybe, but may also be important later.
4: While experienced, we only have bizarre, semi-illegible googlish to rely on in some quests, while thats expected in machine translated stuff, most of the writing and so on is awesome, so cryptic gibberish kind of spins people out.
5: the bandits have a camp, yet we are missing something very important from this camp; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhh23-paLU yes, that music.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 4, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Hey that Seele comparison makes perfect sense once you see a certain cutscene. The one in the Merc base in Dead City I think? Seriously, having a Sin guy in darkness surrounded by multiple human sized monoliths with symbols on them that light up when they talk to him was way too drat perfect.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

closeted republican posted:

There are a couple ShoC mods that use that system, but all of them (that I've seen) are trying to make the game similar to the beta, so it's always for the same reason.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So I guess I ran into a fun bug. The passcode I was given by the game to get into X-18 was wrong.

Acquire Currency! posted:

I dunno I saw some cool things the AI was doing. On my way out of the bar a pack of blind dogs started rushing me. I got ready to fight em off but they ran pass me and went after a group of fleshes nearby. The only odd thing I've seen was a completely visible poltergeist hanging around the forest.

Almost every single one of my gunfights has ended with an NPC throwing a grenade at his feet. Granted, the fights beforehand were pretty good, but there's nothing like having a 30 minute gunfight end with a guy's body flying out of the darkness as his own grenade detonates.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Fry Andy posted:

So I guess I ran into a fun bug. The passcode I was given by the game to get into X-18 was wrong.

Almost every single one of my gunfights has ended with an NPC throwing a grenade at his feet. Granted, the fights beforehand were pretty good, but there's nothing like having a 30 minute gunfight end with a guy's body flying out of the darkness as his own grenade detonates.

Hahah hell yes I've seen a monolith squad get taken out by a friendly grenade.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hey that Seele comparison makes perfect sense once you see a certain cutscene. The one in the Merc base in Dead City I think? Seriously, having a Sin guy in darkness surrounded by multiple human sized monoliths with symbols on them that light up when they talk to him was way too drat perfect.

Noted, I'll look out for that. plus, I know the Eva scene you are talking about, I think. (They are still sith wannabe's)

I originally liked Eva a lot, I was in japan when it started, it made as much sense as anything else in Japan at the time, but at least the Nephilem or whatever looked cool. the latest "movie" is certainly reminiscent of the zone.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Paging E.Nigma to the thread. Does Owl still give info on how to get tools for upgrading guns or is that later in the actual game? Arsenal Overhaul 2.2.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Monolith. posted:

Paging E.Nigma to the thread. Does Owl still give info on how to get tools for upgrading guns or is that later in the actual game? Arsenal Overhaul 2.2.

I'm pretty sure that was only in SGM.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

AFAIK only SGM and Misery actually change the locations of the tools, so for Arsenal Overhaul you don't need to consult Owl for that unless you're trying to do something specific. And IIRC in SGM you can technically ask Owl for tool locations straight away, but because it's so expensive (the cheapest option is askign for basic tools, which is 10k, then goes up to 20k and 30k by tier of tools) that you can't unless you cheat yourself some cash.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Bit of an odd question, but does anyone happen to have a fairly good quality image of a bloodsucker's head, straight on? Something that would be a reasonable base for a stencil.

For the first time ever stalker may be beneficial to my overall wellbeing. A friend is willing to pay me to give his case a stalker overhaul and I have a pretty neat idea involving a bloodsucker but I suck too much at actually drawing to do a decent one.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 5, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Not quite head-on, but these useful at all?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

your evil twin posted:

Bloodsuckers would be great in a horror movie. Imagine if Chernobyl diaries had them instead of that stupid radioactive zombie poo poo.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Monolith. posted:

I never changed the tools. They are where they always are. If I could I would have them spawn randomly on each map at the various landmarks.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm starting to think that any graphics setting above plain static lighting is keeping the time of day and weather from changing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

your evil twin posted:

Yeah these are great. Basically I want the outline which I'm going to spray paint in a shade slightly different to the colour of the case, make the eyes glow and paint over the outline and add detail with some clear UV paint because that's not a tired gimmick at all.

I kind of want to see if I can put a switch or something that will toggle a piece of music because I can think of no greater stalker themed case than one that plays that music on demand. You'd be the most popular guy at LAN parties for sure.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 5, 2014

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wasn't really sure why I was seeing people say that they didn't like Lost Alpha, but I think I'm about half way through X-18 right now and I can totally understand. Unskippable awkward cutscenes and monster closets in Stalker? Sick. It's not enough to make me stop playing if only because I enjoy the new content, but it really takes away from what makes these games great.

floor is lava posted:

I'm starting to think that any graphics setting above plain static lighting is keeping the time of day and weather from changing.

It is broken, but easily fixed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IUe5MgSdC2OVNKUUtWQzRaVFE/edit?usp=sharing

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I wasn't really sure why I was seeing people say that they didn't like Lost Alpha, but I think I'm about half way through X-18 right now and I can totally understand. Unskippable awkward cutscenes and monster closets in Stalker? Sick. It's not enough to make me stop playing if only because I enjoy the new content, but it really takes away from what makes these games great.

It is broken, but easily fixed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IUe5MgSdC2OVNKUUtWQzRaVFE/edit?usp=sharing

I'm feeling this a bit too, plus a hell of a lot more backtracking. Still loving it though.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I reinstalled & restarted shortly after finally managing to get into x18, on a whim I installed http://www.mediafire.com/download/sjjwd0405j9a3cq/S3r1ous+Textures+Effects+and+Audio+v2+by+ThaOneDon.rar and its really nice so far, also the updated S.L.A.M Pack (S3r1ous S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: LOST ALPHA MODS by ThaOneDon) page : http://freetexthost.com/q134pzdcl5
about to get to dark valley again, this time, however, I used the non melting corpses as manbags, from agro to garbage, and mr snypah in garbage to the middle dv entrance, all ready for my stunt-niva to cart it to the bandito trader, its like single player poopsocking.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
It is really fun, only problem I'm having is that I'm getting a huge white polygon Flashing over half of Cordon. Could probably fix it with a reinstall but its enough of a reason for me to wait for a patch or two before really getting into this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

your evil twin posted:

Not anatomically correct :rolleyes: