Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
debian is free of deadline and budget constraints which means they can spend infinite energy on wankery. unsurprisingly this leads to them developing absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
yet debian remains what i expect it to be which is less of a shitpile than most

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
2014 is the year of the debian on the ui

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

Debian still ships my software with patches that are broken. I still get bug reports upstream for crashes that those patches cause upstream, and I have personally asked the maintainers of the packages to remove their patches many times over. I do not like shipping broken software to users, and it's extremely exhausting to have to explain to users that it's out of my control.
This is basically what was going on with Wine before I took over -- debian was so bad that Wine was just telling users to build from source.

I spent quite a long time trying to get into Debian "official" but there was already a (bad) maintainer and I just sorta gave up on it. Ubuntu then started to exist and I got welcomed with open arms. There's a reason Ubuntu's Wine packages are well maintained and Debian's aren't. It's just a lot simpler and nicer to contribute to Ubuntu, and we get poo poo done.

I think another good story to tell here would be the multiarch transition. It was in a stable Ubuntu release about a year and a half before Debian, cause we actually could just knuckle down and do it for our versions of packages. It would take that year and a half for our patches to slowly filter their way back into Debian and for a proper multi-arch release to come out.

Multi-arch is something Wine very much needs, so it gave me yet another reason to basically ignore Debian for a year. I don't have too many excuses to not actually make Debian versions of my packages left, though, especially with SteamOS. But man it'll be an extra hassle (Debian doesn't even have a PPA system like launchpad does...the closest is a service provided by OpenSuSE of all things).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rhel is the only linux that matters fyi

remains a bit of a mystery why rh has a bunch of x and other gui devs on staff, seems like p. dubious business

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
We have and sell a desktop and workstation SKUs which turn a profit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Why we hired Rob Clark, the guy working on freedreno? I have no idea. That's never going to ship in any of our products, ever. He doesn't know either. But it's fun while it lasts!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

We have and sell a desktop and workstation SKUs which turn a profit.

eh, im sure, but it certainly isnt the bread and butter, and seems a distraction. rh has money and market dominance though, they can afford to play around with theories if desktop linux, just seems a so-so bet to me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

work on desktop stuff is often transferrable to server stuff and vice versa

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

I spent quite a long time trying to get into Debian "official" but there was already a (bad) maintainer and I just sorta gave up on it. Ubuntu then started to exist and I got welcomed with open arms. There's a reason Ubuntu's Wine packages are well maintained and Debian's aren't. It's just a lot simpler and nicer to contribute to Ubuntu, and we get poo poo done.

debian's wine maintainer conformed to policy and paid attention to mailing lists. you ignored all that inconvenient stuff and poo poo out totally monolithic packages with a thousand dependencies.

shocking that they did not welcome you with open arms

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's ok to hate the process.

it's not ok to pretend there is no process because you hate it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

work on desktop stuff is often transferrable to server stuff and vice versa

Yep. systemd came from the desktop team. Two of the projects from Project Atomic came from the desktop team (Cockpit and OSTree).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

debian's wine maintainer conformed to policy and paid attention to mailing lists. you ignored all that inconvenient stuff and poo poo out totally monolithic packages with a thousand dependencies.

But ShadowHawk shipped working software, and the Debian Wine maintainer did not.

The entire point of the Debian project is to ship working software. What's the point in the policy and politics if they don't achieve the goal of shipping working software?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

But ShadowHawk shipped working software, and the Debian Wine maintainer did not.

The entire point of the Debian project is to ship working software. What's the point in the policy and politics if they don't achieve the goal of shipping working software?

they did, and do, ship

just not as fast as shadowhawk may have liked

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they did, and do, ship

just not as fast as shadowhawk may have liked

ShadowHawk posted:

Debian was so bad that Wine was just telling users to build from source.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm going by ShadowHawk's account here, but Wine was apparently telling Debian users that the packages were broken and not to use them. Debian isn't shipping working software.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yep. systemd came from the desktop team. Two of the projects from Project Atomic came from the desktop team (Cockpit and OSTree).

Isn't this basically just CoreOS except Red Hat can charge people money for (support on) it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
CoreOS and Project Atomic are competitors, yep, but I think Project Atomic has better technology under it. The technology under Project Atomic has actually been in development for 5 years now for other things, and now we're grouping them into this new OS we're building. I will admit it's sort of a shallow, quick attempt to catch up to the rest of the world, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm going by Shadow-"nerd coop"-Hawk's account here, but Wine was apparently telling Debian users that the packages were broken and not to use them. Debian isn't shipping working software.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Uh, no, Debian's Wine maintainer shipped a broken package split into dozens of chunks based on 1.5 year old Wine releases. He also worked for Transgaming who were direct competitors with free Wine. I asked in IRC if someone could do a non-maintainer upload of a new package on my behalf and got a rather cold reception, especially since I didn't have maintainer gatekeeper approval.

Debian's more of a loose confederation of package maintainers running their own fiefdoms than a coherent system.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good package maintenance is important if you expect others to make use of it

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ShadowHawk posted:

Uh, no, Debian's Wine maintainer shipped a broken package split into dozens of chunks based on 1.5 year old Wine releases. He also worked for Transgaming who were direct competitors with free Wine. I asked in IRC if someone could do a non-maintainer upload of a new package on my behalf and got a rather cold reception, especially since I didn't have maintainer gatekeeper approval.

Debian's more of a loose confederation of package maintainers running their own fiefdoms than a coherent system.

Sounds like the appropriate result was achieved here tbqh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

api call girl posted:

Sounds like the appropriate result was achieved here tbqh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Debian's Wine maintainer shipped a broken package split into dozens of chunks
a.k.a conforming to policy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yes. As we said, the policy makes things ship broken software.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what policy lead to the 4960 texlive packages in fedora?

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 7, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

the policy that distributions should do all packaging together with a pretty vibrant software platform which has a huge set of packages itself, which would make for a huge and unwieldy megapackage if you just put them all together

on windows miktex unsurprisingly pull the packages from ctan as needed, which gets you a relatively small but arbitrary subset of the packages over time

ii oh el
Jan 9, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

tex is just a festering boil that has been allowed to ferment for forty years and decided to evacuate itself all over your package manager

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ii oh el posted:

tex is just a festering boil that has been allowed to ferment for forty years and decided to evacuate itself all over your package manager

same except all linux package repos and the philosophy surrounding them

ctan is a loving monument of quality in comparison

gregday
May 23, 2003

it's called os x

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ii oh el posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gnome3 apparently hides the battery status when the laptop is plugged in

i guess nobody ever cared about knowing whether/when the battery is recharged

or nobody ever used linux on a laptop because lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No it doesn't. It should show a "Recharging" in the status menu, and show an icon. What that means is that somehow your battery got flat out removed from the device tree when you plugged your power cord in.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

unplugged                                           plugged in

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

meanwhile shows up as charging in the power settings

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
linuxed again

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
ubuntu 14.04 somehow gives me worse battery life than win 8.1, even with the cpu priority set to powersaving

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

saucepanman posted:

ubuntu 14.04 somehow gives me worse battery life than win 8.1, even with the cpu priority set to powersaving

stop using ubuntu

good choices: fedora, debian
middlin' choices: centOS
bad choices: arch
loving lol you moron: ubuntu

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

As someone who spends about 90% of his development time cleaning up Debian-inherited messes, I seriously don't understand the endorsement for it that keeps getting cargo-culted around here. The whole point of Ubuntu was to polish up Debian and release it on a regular basis, and it still does that.

If you're saying to stay away from Ubuntu cause you don't like the default desktop and don't want to install a different one but can somehow manage the debian install process that forces you to then lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ShadowHawk posted:

As someone who spends about 90% of his development time cleaning up Debian-inherited messes, I seriously don't understand the endorsement for it that keeps getting cargo-culted around here. The whole point of Ubuntu was to polish up Debian and release it on a regular basis, and it still does that.

If you're saying to stay away from Ubuntu cause you don't like the default desktop and don't want to install a different one but can somehow manage the debian install process that forces you to then lol

i believe he hates ubuntu because they don't do a lot of testing of their packages before releasing them, and the stability suffers