Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hellioning posted:

Never expect good things out of women in robot shows. It doesn't tend to happen often.

SRW was actually really good about this for quite a while when we actually got multiple main character choices. Since we've downsized to having only one main character they seem to want to play it extremely safe to avoid pissing off their fanbase so we always get Generico McHeroguy as our lead with the female "protagonist" designated love interest/sidekick/powerup device/macguffin to protect and rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Kanos posted:

we always get Generico McHeroguy as our lead with the female "protagonist" jiggle delivery service

I fixed that for ya.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

I fixed that for ya.
I don't think Esther's delivering any of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I don't think Esther's delivering any of that.

Crowe has another love interest who makes up for it in anime spades though

I wouldn't mind the solo originals more if there was more drat variation. They all look so drat interchangable these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I like Crowe a lot. My only real problem with him is the 'misogynist' schtick, and that really only gets brought up like twice so whatever.

Well, and the fact that like four women want his Shield Bunker, but whatever, it's anime. The dude in Z3 seems boring as gently caress though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My main problem with Hibiki, and this might be weird, is just what the gently caress is the point of Boost Up?

It doesn't seem to be related to his Sphere. It's not really connected to what bit of personality he has. It isn't even particularly connected to his weird backstory/revenge/throbbing scar eye thing. It's just a superpower he has because anime.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

SRW was actually really good about this for quite a while when we actually got multiple main character choices. Since we've downsized to having only one main character they seem to want to play it extremely safe to avoid pissing off their fanbase so we always get Generico McHeroguy as our lead with the female "protagonist" designated love interest/sidekick/powerup device/macguffin to protect and rescue.

I am still wishing for the day that our forced protagonist is a hot blooded chick with no jiggle whateversoever pilotting a super robot that stabs people with a spear.

One day...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I am still wishing for the day that our forced protagonist is a hot blooded chick with no jiggle whateversoever pilotting a super robot that stabs people with a spear.

One day...
So you want Calvina in the Granteed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

So you want Calvina in the Granteed.

Not enough hotblooded.

But yes, hopefully the J originals will be able to pilot any of the three robots when they show up in OG, though I am waiting for forced Calvina/Bellzelute and Touya/Granteed.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Never expect good things out of women in robot shows. It doesn't tend to happen often.

Godannar was great and Shizuru was awesome. :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kanos posted:

Kinda makes me wonder why they even bother putting OG characters in these days

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Personality-wise Marguerite seemed generally fine (I say this knowing little to no dialogue and going off her attack line delivery only) but good lord that cheesecake design.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It gets briefly referenced IIRC and one of the D-Trader items directly references it.

Well Uther on his own gets brought up a bunch when talk drifts into the sphere power levels direction.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Personality-wise Marguerite seemed generally fine (I say this knowing little to no dialogue and going off her attack line delivery only) but good lord that cheesecake design.

The design was alright to me, she was even fully clothed! It was the dumb "push tits together for final attack" cut-in that was dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Well Uther on his own gets brought up a bunch when talk drifts into the sphere power levels direction.

Yeah, Uther gets mentioned a lot but I was thinking of itself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda makes me wonder why they even bother putting OG characters in these days

An original protagonist with corresponding villain faction and plotline basically serves as a sort of trunk for all the other series to branch out of. It also lets you have a designated Final Boss for everyone to unite against without showing favoritism towards one series or another.

It makes me sad that they've gone so blah with it because seeing what the new original would be used to be one of my absolute favorite things about SRW. Now I just expect a brown/black haired dude aged 15-25 piloting something that looks like a Gundam with a head swap and with a designated female co-pilot/support who is his love interest. Genion looked pretty promising at the start of Z3 but they don't do anything meaningful with it until the end of the drat game again and Hibiki is pretty loving boring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Yeah, Marguerite's design was fine (though pants instead of a skirt would have fit her knight schtick better), it was just her cut-ins that were silly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

An original protagonist with corresponding villain faction and plotline basically serves as a sort of trunk for all the other series to branch out of. It also lets you have a designated Final Boss for everyone to unite against without showing favoritism towards one series or another.

It makes me sad that they've gone so blah with it because seeing what the new original would be used to be one of my absolute favorite things about SRW. Now I just expect a brown/black haired dude aged 15-25 piloting something that looks like a Gundam with a head swap and with a designated female co-pilot/support who is his love interest. Genion looked pretty promising at the start of Z3 but they don't do anything meaningful with it until the end of the drat game again and Hibiki is pretty loving boring.

Z3 doesn't even use it for the final boss. You wreck Gadlight a few stages from the end and then take on the Anti-Spiral as the real final boss. You get another original in the Epilogue but he's really clearly not a real final boss considering his stats are lovely.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
SRW Compact did fine without an original. Just have Don Zauser be the final boss in every game.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Mercury Crusader posted:

SRW Compact did fine without an original. Just have Don Zauser be the final boss in every game.

And if you got enough skill points in Impact CCA Char was the final boss! :eng101:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tribladeofchaos posted:

And if you got enough skill points in Impact CCA Char was the final boss! :eng101:

Scirocco in the Valsion Kai was amazing in SRW3.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Didn't Shin feature Gosterro from Layzner in the Devil Gundam or something like that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish SRW had more freedom to do cross-series stuff than they do. I know they have to treat every series in a specific way but maaan would I love to be able to face completely Holy poo poo stuff like that again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Final Boss of Z3.2: Timp, Beck, and Gates in the Neo Getter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I wish SRW had more freedom to do cross-series stuff than they do. I know they have to treat every series in a specific way but maaan would I love to be able to face completely Holy poo poo stuff like that again.
I am hoping for some crazy ELS-based enemies for Z3.2, like say...ELS Shin Getter.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

Final Boss of Z3.2: Timp, Beck, and Gates in the Neo Getter.

No they would be the last minute reinforcements that save your team at the final minute.

Really the Baal is a version of Chirico who took Wiseman's offer and now pilots a customized Guntank.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Noa Izumi begs to differ :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So playing Z2.2, SR points aren't tied to any story stuff, right? Because SR 16 is making me quit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

So playing Z2.2, SR points aren't tied to any story stuff, right? Because SR 16 is making me quit.
No, nothing at all. There are zero points, that determine whether or not you can take a certain route at the end of the game, but that only applies to your first run-through. On new game +s, you can select the secret route without worrying about Zero Points.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So has the requirements for Defy Destinies route split been determined yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

They probably won't be officially confirmed until the guide comes out if they're like the other games and involve hidden points.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

TheManSeries posted:

I'm really curious what they are because I got the choice for the route split and I didn't feel like I did anything special to earn it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I'm really curious what they are because I got the choice for the route split and I didn't feel like I did anything special to earn it.
If it's anything like the Zero Points in Z2.2, it isn't that hard. You can get five Zero Points just by taking the Geass route splits, getting Zero to Ace (not exactly hard considering his map weapon), and getting Heero to 60% on stage 27. It isn't much of a tall order.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

Hextuple Inazuma Kick, Shinji has to dance like he means it with Asuka. Shuffle Alliance Attack eat your heart out.

They all form a giant loving foot and Inazuma Kick the entire map. Then we get Tengen Toppa Gunbuster and Tengen Toppa Big O.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Caphi posted:

My main problem with Hibiki, and this might be weird, is just what the gently caress is the point of Boost Up?

It doesn't seem to be related to his Sphere. It's not really connected to what bit of personality he has. It isn't even particularly connected to his weird backstory/revenge/throbbing scar eye thing. It's just a superpower he has because anime.

Well he doesn't have a sphere for like 90% of the game so... It isn't related to it at all?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It seemed like it was related to his being able to summon Genion, which only started from the beginning of the game I believe. But I could have easily missed it being a thing he's had forever, my Japanese is not so great really.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HiKaizer posted:

It seemed like it was related to his being able to summon Genion, which only started from the beginning of the game I believe. But I could have easily missed it being a thing he's had forever, my Japanese is not so great really.

No it was new to him when he first did it. Probably tied to the Geneon bond.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Squallege posted:

They all form a giant loving foot and Inazuma Kick the entire map. Then we get Tengen Toppa Gunbuster and Tengen Toppa Big O.

Big Bang Kick.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think Setsuna's Ace conversation is one of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

I think Setsuna's Ace conversation is one of my favourites.
Speaking of that, AG sure knows how to read the air, as they say in Japan. If a pilot becomes an ace on a stage where something sad happens and you go to AG, he will say "I'm sorry, I'm just going to operate the store as normal for today, please come in next time for the ace conversation".

• Locked thread