Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Better yet, you could kill and steal someone's poo poo with no repercussions if you provoke them into assaulting you before you murder them.

There's no way you're not fishing for a George Zimmerman comparison here. Life imitating art etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Make sure to look through his entire video history. He's brilliant.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mac Con posted:

There's no way you're not fishing for a George Zimmerman comparison here. Life imitating art etc.

What the gently caress are you even going on about.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

What the gently caress are you even going on about.

The idea of provoking a fight and then killing consequence free based on the idea in self-defense seems a slightly ludicrous abstraction of the game and its failure to model a full legal system very well.

But...

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Utgardaloki posted:

Make sure to look through his entire video history. He's brilliant.

Yeah, they are really good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

User0015 posted:

Yeah, they are really good.

Yep. He's got a nice voice and some good opinions.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

the JJ posted:

The idea of provoking a fight and then killing consequence free based on the idea in self-defense seems a slightly ludicrous abstraction of the game and its failure to model a full legal system very well.

But...

This. Maybe the case didn't get as much exposure outside the US as I thought it did.

That guy's New Vegas world building video would be a convenient way of explaining to people why I prefer it to Fallout 3. Also would save me from having to see their eyes glaze over in person.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kujeger posted:

Not exactly poe and I'd guess the rights are all over the place, but ropekid: has the ever been any talk of doing a sort of EE-version of the icewind dales?
I think I've heard discussion of such things but I'm not *~ in the loop ~*.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I would love an enhanced Icewind Dale 1+2 remake, and so would the twenty other people who would play it, which is probably why it's not gonna happen.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Just not by Beamdog (LOL).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sensuki posted:

Just not by Beamdog (LOL).

Why not? From what I heard all they added was three characters you can just brush off, as well as merging the trilogy. WHat else did they do?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm glad I supported the kickstarter for this project since monks with guns are viable.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Does anyone have any idea how the various infinity games sold relative to each other?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Why not? From what I heard all they added was three characters you can just brush off, as well as merging the trilogy. WHat else did they do?

The games were both buggy as hell on release, and a lot of quests and functions were broken. It took them a while to patch BG1 and the same exact thing happened with BG2 apparently.

They've expressed interest in creating BG3 if their Enhanced Editions of 1 and 2 sold well but I definitely don't have much faith in them.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Does anyone have any idea how the various infinity games sold relative to each other?

BG1 and BG2 were by far the most successful, from what I've found, selling about 2 million each.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mac Con posted:

This. Maybe the case didn't get as much exposure outside the US as I thought it did.

That guy's New Vegas world building video would be a convenient way of explaining to people why I prefer it to Fallout 3. Also would save me from having to see their eyes glaze over in person.

I enjoy his videos but that Fallout one got a bit too popular, I think. Every Fallout 3 vs New Vegas argument I've seen in the past year or so, someone inevitably goes "Fallout 3 makes no sense! There are no farms in the game!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

2house2fly posted:

I enjoy his videos but that Fallout one got a bit too popular, I think. Every Fallout 3 vs New Vegas argument I've seen in the past year or so, someone inevitably goes "Fallout 3 makes no sense! There are no farms in the game!

Thats a shame because if you are going to be a dismissive dick about fallout 3 calling it a fallout theme park is way funnier and conveys the same general criticism.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Josh Sawyer posted:

Casters can make their Recovery Time shorter by wearing lighter armor and through the use of Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, which is their personal "attack faster, suffer continuous Stamina damage for the duration" spell (3rd level).

Now I totally want to roleplay a Wizard Berserker.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's the 'personal' keyword that really gets me- hopefully each class has one so I can make myself Kenshiro. I don't mind cheating to ensure I have ludicrous Stamina as long as I can go AAATATATATATATATATATA :allears:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Eddain posted:

The games were both buggy as hell on release, and a lot of quests and functions were broken. It took them a while to patch BG1 and the same exact thing happened with BG2 apparently.

They've expressed interest in creating BG3 if their Enhanced Editions of 1 and 2 sold well but I definitely don't have much faith in them.

They still haven't been able to fix the static 2D animation glitches (on things such as fireplaces) and the zoom level resetting every time you exit an area (to their below source res preset) which have been present since BG1:EE 1.00

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really, really couldn't get over how bad the general UI and presentation were in the Enhanced Editions. Eye vomit inducing stuff on every screen.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Steve2911 posted:

I really, really couldn't get over how bad the general UI and presentation were in the Enhanced Editions. Eye vomit inducing stuff on every screen.

Have you seen the UI introduced in BG2? I feel it's extremely well done. I mean, there's only so much you can do with a isometric 2D game that's old enough to remember the Clinton presidency. If you're talking about the UI BGEE had when it first came out I totally agree with you though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MegaGatts posted:

Have you seen the UI introduced in BG2? I feel it's extremely well done. I mean, there's only so much you can do with a isometric 2D game that's old enough to remember the Clinton presidency. If you're talking about the UI BGEE had when it first came out I totally agree with you though.

Huh, fair enough. I had no idea that they changed it. I just know that I pre-ordered the first one based on the concept alone, felt like an idiot when I loaded it up, uninstalled it and never looked into it again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

It's a really dumb argument, because he says Fallout 3 was still a good game, it's just that attention to detail puts New Vegas on an even higher level of enjoyment.

I still enjoy playing both depending on what I want. Still, gently caress the dad plot in Fallout 3. That felt really patronizing.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I am hoping there will be an ability called "sheathe sword" or "pose while saying some sicknasty poo poo about the other dude bein already dead" and in both cases this owns everybody who you hit once.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I have a question based on something that rope kid posted in the Obsidian forums regarding animation speed.

Why is frame-based animation speed being used instead of time-based animation speed, and how (if at all) will this be affected by the game's frame rate (which I hope will not be locked)?

I don't know too much about this stuff, but do you use like a delay timer or something so that if the game is running at higher than 30 FPS then the animation is delayed or something so that the animation time is consistent across all frame rates? (or some other method of frame rate independence).

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 6, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SurrealityCheck posted:

I am hoping there will be an ability called "sheathe sword" or "pose while saying some sicknasty poo poo about the other dude bein already dead" and in both cases this owns everybody who you hit once.

No fooling, some sort of AoE stun effect on a critical-hit-kill centered on the PC would be a pretty cool passive ability for melee-focused characters.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
"Frightening Flourish" or something, where your kill is so spectacular it causes everyone else to flinch away for a second? Could also work for casters, if you make someone pop into gibs...

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

GetWellGamers posted:

"Frightening Flourish" or something, where your kill is so spectacular it causes everyone else to flinch away for a second?

The move would attack Psyche, and a failed defense causes a flinch/stun? IMO this sort of thing would fit the Cipher best.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Why is frame-based animation speed being used instead of time-based animation speed, and how (if at all) will this be affected by the game's frame rate (which I hope will not be locked)?
Because animators animate in frames and not at all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So the frame rate will be capped then?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Why would it be, if the animations are frame rate independent? (Which I believe is what rope kid was referring to).

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

GreatGreen posted:

One frame of animation doesn't need to be tied to the update rate in which the game draws the final image.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GreatGreen posted:

No.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Now, I'm sure you feel like an expert on the subject, what with actually working on the project and all, but my uncle who works for Obsidian assures me that the frame rate for animation is in fact capped at 28,932 frames per second and that if you go to the second house you see in the starter town and click on the windows in a certain pattern a hidden path opens up and you go into a room where there's pictures of your family inside and it's super spooky! Also pillars of eternity covers the adventures of Professor Oak as a young child starting his pokedex.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Fredrik1 posted:

One frame of animation doesn't need to be tied to the update rate in which the game draws the final image.

Yeah, if programs couldn't reconcile the difference between the framerate something was originally animated at and the current framerate the program was running at then every game would need to be capped at that original rate and we'd still have issues that old DOS games have now.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

It's a really dumb argument, because he says Fallout 3 was still a good game, it's just that attention to detail puts New Vegas on an even higher level of enjoyment.

I still enjoy playing both depending on what I want. Still, gently caress the dad plot in Fallout 3. That felt really patronizing.

I think he's saying more than that it just has a greater attention to detail. The worldbuilding in New Vegas was approached in a more logical and cohesive way on a fundamental level, and that carries into almost every element of the game. As he said, in open world games like NV, the setting and story are hard to separate, so for people like him and me, it's just way more enjoyable to explore and interact with a setting that has that much more thought put into it.

That's a huge part of why I'm so excited for PoE. I know being an IE style game, the focus won't be as strong on presenting a sandbox type of experience, but Obsidian have proven they have the chops to create interesting and well-realized settings, and I'm a total sperg for that.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Now, I'm sure you feel like an expert on the subject, what with actually working on the project and all, but my uncle who works for Obsidian assures me that the frame rate for animation is in fact capped at 28,932 frames per second and that if you go to the second house you see in the starter town and click on the windows in a certain pattern a hidden path opens up and you go into a room where there's pictures of your family inside and it's super spooky! Also pillars of eternity covers the adventures of Professor Oak as a young child starting his pokedex.
On a more serious note, will PoE have any little obscure "who would even think to do that" things like the IE games had, like talking to Firebead Elvenhair in BG1 30 times to get some gold, or carrying the assorted pantaloons through all three games for the Big Metal Unit?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

We only know of the Big Head Mode atm which I believe you collect heads/skull in-game to access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
BOOMSHAKALAKA

• Locked thread