Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Making the enemies more varied, interesting and balanced is planned for the third upcoming release.

You can set enemies to never attack you first giving you all the time you need to prepare yourself.

I've added links and snippets from the changelog and roadmap to the OP.

About the graphics, personally don't care much if games look good, as long as I can easily tell things apart and see what's important. First impressions matter, and getting the graphics to a point where they are polished enough is important before getting on Greenlight. The screenshots in the OP are from a relatively recent feature, I should probably take some new ones because things look better now.

I doubt it's hard to create some replacement graphics packs for a game like this, since it's all flat images. Having a different looking player character can't be too hard to do; who knows, people might even pay for a DLC with familiar characters in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I think it would be neat if radar UNLOCKED chunks of the map so you had to have radar in order to expand the map. Or maybe have that as an option or a mod or something.

edit: wait is that how it works now? I haven't really ran far away from my base yet

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Nope. The radar reveals previously unexplored parts of the map, but has a maximum range it won't reveal beyond. I believe the map is generated as you explore it.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
This game is really cool. It's like Anno with way more detailed means of production

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 5, 2014

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

Nope. The radar reveals previously unexplored parts of the map, but has a maximum range it won't reveal beyond. I believe the map is generated as you explore it.
Is there a way in game to see the range of a radar?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

This looks amazing, cya later free time.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Retro42 posted:

Biters are Eco-terrorists. The hostility level is based on pollution. More you make, the more aggressive they get. Too much pollution and they evolve into tougher versions. It's a great concept where you have to balance high performance, high pollution factories with more spread out, slower factories.
Open the map and press alt to see if your pollution is about to annoy the neighbors.

After the insanity of trying to make my blue science pack setup workable, I was a little disappointed that the purple science pack is so simple. I think my next game will have an oversize factory using trains to ferry different components around for the blue packs rather than trying to make it compact.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

A version or two back I experiment with trains quite a bit. End result was what I called "The Loop". Visually it was a giant oval track that stop at each location in order dropping off components and picking up products. It was huge. It was a pain to maintain. But drat if it wasn't fun as gently caress having my own little production city to play with. Incredibly modular too with all the free space. Plus I filled the inner section with a poo poo ton of accumulators and solar panels.

Wish I had taken screens now.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This game is amazing. I just played the demo tutorial missions and holy hell. This takes the best of a lot of ideas and makes it in to a really easy to figure out game that will have a lot of depth as you get into the later phases of it.

Spacechem meets Transport Tycoon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

One thing in particular I really like about this (and may need to be nerfed in future versions, honestly :v:) is that the power grid runs itself and automatically limits its production to exactly what I need. Even more than that, if I have solar panels and steam engines it will always draw the maximum amount from the solar panels before using the steam engines for power, and the boilers don't even turn on if the steam engines don't need them.

Basically what this means is that it's really easy to manage pollution.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is there anything you can do with the purple stuff that comes out of the monster spawners in the third level of demo? (I'm deciding on a 'conquer the map' approach to dicking around with it and want a nice, clear map so I can gently caress around with things for a while.)

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

Breetai posted:

Is there anything you can do with the purple stuff that comes out of the monster spawners in the third level of demo? (I'm deciding on a 'conquer the map' approach to dicking around with it and want a nice, clear map so I can gently caress around with things for a while.)
I don't think there's owt you can do with it during the demo levels, but in the full game sandbox mode you need them to make the purple science pack and some end game items.

Does anyone have any idea how to use the Night Vision Goggles? I've just made them but it won't let me equip them as armour or anything.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I played the demo two days ago and bought the game 20 minutes later for the same reason: it takes my favorite parts of complex factory setups in modded Minecraft and the coolest parts of OpenTTD. The fact that it looks so much like the old Command and Conquer games is a huge plus too.

But it's so hard :negative:

I end up mining a ton of stuff by hand/getting destroyed by bugs because I'm too busy dithering over optimum design (or just trying to figure out how to make anything work, period) to actually get anything built in the first place.

But yeah, the aesthetic is gorgeous and it really scratches that spergy industrialcraft itch without being too taxing on my PC. I'll love it as soon as I can figure out why these loving boilers aren't working! :argh:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

In the full game, in sandbox mode, you can turn off the alien attacks and just build poo poo. Not only will you be able to spend days on your perfect zen factory layout, but you can still go FIND alien nests when you want their artifacts.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

kick_the_penguin posted:

I don't think there's owt you can do with it during the demo levels, but in the full game sandbox mode you need them to make the purple science pack and some end game items.

Does anyone have any idea how to use the Night Vision Goggles? I've just made them but it won't let me equip them as armour or anything.

I think they slot in to the modular armor. You'll also need a battery. I haven't worked with that armor yet.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
10 Hours in and I'm into the blue tech tree. Just built my first railroad to add a second production facility cause drat I cannot optimise my first any more. This poo poo is fun.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I keep wishing they'd hurry up and get on steam so I can buy and play it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sold! I didn't need that 10 euro anyway :10bux::byewhore:

Bhodi posted:

I keep wishing they'd hurry up and get on steam so I can buy and play it.

Normally I'm leery of steam alphas but this is already pretty fun, and it looks like they're committed to getting more actual game in there rather than just futzing around with flavour of the month features/items forever like he-who-shall-not-be-named :notch:

Carecat posted:

The mid 90s 2D look isn't a popular one.

Further proof that a majority of people are wrong about everything :colbert:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 5, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've been in on Factorio for quite a while now. I stopped playing it for months so I would be surprised by that number of changes and HOLY poo poo am I surprised. The increase in complexity is incredible. I still am not sure how to use trains effectively.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Renaissance Robot posted:

But it's so hard :negative:

I end up mining a ton of stuff by hand/getting destroyed by bugs because I'm too busy dithering over optimum design (or just trying to figure out how to make anything work, period) to actually get anything built in the first place.

But yeah, the aesthetic is gorgeous and it really scratches that spergy industrialcraft itch without being too taxing on my PC. I'll love it as soon as I can figure out why these loving boilers aren't working! :argh:

I did the same thing at first, and didn't really get the hang of things until I played the campaign. The first campaign is super basic "learn the interface" stuff, but the second campaign "New Hope" is just what I needed to get used to the complex systems one at a time.

It gradually eases you up the tech tree, and the best part is since each mission starts you in a brand new area so you aren't punished for building as you learn. This is extra helpful because the campaign does a great job of having you stumble across different factory setups so you get exposed to many different ways of optimizing and organizing.

I've spent more hours than I care to admit playing since Friday, and I would strongly recommend people play through the New Hope campaign before jumping into freeplay. It's not absolutely necessary, but it saves you the frustration of constantly having to tear things down and re-optimize when you learn something new.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I got blue science packs working.

:shepicide:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So i'm doing the campaign, and the rail tutorial mission. It took me like two hours to get a convoluted enough system to mass produce green research and red research and funnel it to labs in quantities fast enough to research quickly, and then I just run out of iron as I get to the next objective : collect 3000 iron plate, 1500 steel plate, 3000 copper plate, 1500 piercing rounds magazine. :suicide:. There's some pre-made copper/iron mines faaaaaaar away on the railway but a SINGLE SEGMENT of rail costs 1 steel bar! Steel takes five iron plates each and takes eons to cook, too! And i'm out of iron! And I have this giant.. abomination that i'd have to completely retool to produce steel, iron bars, and stone to make railway segments, while still somehow amassing 1500 excess steel and 3000 excess iron. :negative:.

It's so good, but the sheer scale of what you have to build is just.. overwhelming.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
When I press a quick key, say, 1, it lights up the thing in slot 1 and lets me place it (obviously), but it also prevents me from interacting with things until I select an empty slot- does this mean I have to keep a quick key empty at all times? Seems pretty annoying, so I have to assume I'm missing the 'clear hand' key.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Q is the "clear hand" key.

I think I'm getting the scenario pack. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

(Disclaimer: I just bought the game, still playing through the campaign.)

Is there any good way to supply coal to furnaces? I keep getting lost while trying to create a row of furnaces with a three-belt system that feeds in coal and ore, and feeds out the smelted plates. Is it better to just feed them coal by hand until I can upgrade them to electric?

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
I usually use the left layout before i get electric furnaces, you can also use the trick on the right to only have one incoming line of conveyors

And since we're showing off our factories

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Ah, I don't think I had access to the long handed inserters in the earlier missions, so I forgot about them. That will work!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Foehammer posted:

Ah, I don't think I had access to the long handed inserters in the earlier missions, so I forgot about them. That will work!

You definitely don't need them, use the method on the right. Arranging 2 inputs on different sides of the belt is part of the fun! The inserter can take from both sides but only outputs to the far side.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

It'll just pull in the appropriate resource from either side of the belt as needed?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Foehammer posted:

It'll just pull in the appropriate resource from either side of the belt as needed?

Yup

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I feel like what I really want is some detailed data to help optimize my setup, like:

Trying to match solar cells to batteries:
How many J does each solar cell make per day/night cycle?

Trying to balance steam engines and furnaces:
How does a steam engine consume hot water? Is it faster/slower based on the temperature of the water?
How fast can a pump produce water?
How fast can a furnace heat water?

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I feel like what I really want is some detailed data to help optimize my setup, like:

Trying to match solar cells to batteries:
How many J does each solar cell make per day/night cycle?

Trying to balance steam engines and furnaces:
How does a steam engine consume hot water? Is it faster/slower based on the temperature of the water?
How fast can a pump produce water?
How fast can a furnace heat water?
I don't know much about this, so I might not be right, but as far as I know pumps product water extremely fast, so you don't need to worry about that. The hotter the water the more electricity the engine produces. A boiler will only burn fuel if it is actually needed, so you it's better to add more boilers than you need than to have less than you need, as you won't actually waste any fuel doing so.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The fact that everything only produces as much as is needed and stops if there's nowhere for the output to go really simplifies things a lot. So long as your system a) can meet peak demand and b) backs up behind bottlenecks in a way that doesn't break everything (especially for conveyors) you should be golden.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I usually just put the furnace directly in front of the mining drill.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's the best way to do it, in my opinion, unless there's a space constraint in regards to your mining location.

Here's how I do mine:

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
I can admit to spending way more time on this game than is really healthy. Dear lord, the item requirements to make the final missile defence widget are just :shepicide:

To answer some random stuff from the thread:

- A line of 7 boilers will feed 5 steam engines at maximum performance.
- A single water pump will run 2 of the above setups.
- Solar cell to battery ratio is ok at 1:1 but you will want closer to 2 batteries per cell once you get the laser pew-pews going in earnest.

- A single electric mine will feed 2 of the basic furnaces, so the mine to furnace to belt is rather inefficient.

As a general guideline, I highly recommend sticking Efficiency modules (the greens) in all module slots unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise (oil pumps, factories building really important slow to build components). Pollution is directly proportional to the amount of power a widget uses, so less power use = less native unrest. And a smaller solar panel footprint, which is always a plus.

And for those of you who want to be space-efficient and not brain-bend yourself running belts everywhere, for the love of all that is holy research the logistics drones and the requester/provider chest tech as soon as possible. Make blue tech by hand if you have to. You'll need oil to make these babies but they are worth their weight in gold.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KillHour posted:

I usually just put the furnace directly in front of the mining drill.

Electric mines output faster than stone furnaces can process, FYI.

Gotdammy posted:

those of you who want to be space-efficient and not brain-bend yourself running belts everywhere

aka cheaters :colbert:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 6, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You guys know that a mine pulls ore from one square farther than its graphic, right? 5x5.

I'm going to start screwing around with wires, though, because I hate having inventory piled up on my conveyor belts.

Gotdammy posted:

- A line of 7 boilers will feed 5 steam engines at maximum performance.
- A single water pump will run 2 of the above setups.
- Solar cell to battery ratio is ok at 1:1 but you will want closer to 2 batteries per cell once you get the laser pew-pews going in earnest.

Thanks for these!

Does it matter whether the steam engines are in serial or parallel?

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 6, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That... would explain what that blue square in alt view is. Huh.

To be fair the game doesn't make that super clear, since the setup it gives you in new hope has everything cheek by jowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Electric mines output faster than stone furnaces can process, FYI.

That's what electric furnaces are for. :colbert: