Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Here's the "Gotham" trailer.

Pretty much what you'd expect. Looks pretty, though.

update: Full two-minutes extended trailer.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Looks kinda cool even, though I giggle at the thought of Batman's origins happening in 2014.
Did the Waynes die after taking Bruce to see Amazing Spider-man 2? Will Bruce start his kung-fu training with Youtube tutorials?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Looks kinda cool even, though I giggle at the thought of Batman's origins happening in 2014.
Did the Waynes die after taking Bruce to see Amazing Spider-man 2? Will Bruce start his kung-fu training with Youtube tutorials?

Little Bruce starts training in Japan, comes back six weeks later with 500 mangas and a body pillow girlfriend.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

McSpanky posted:

Little Bruce starts training in Japan, comes back six weeks later with 500 mangas and a body pillow girlfriend.

"Alfred, I told you my waifu wants HOT water!"

"Alfred, get the Martial Arts VR Training Room ready!"
"Master Bruce, I still cannot fathom how to turn on this Xbox One machine."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The extended trailer seemed fairly derivative of Nolan, but if nothing else it'll be cool watching Rawls from The Wire play a curmudgeonly crime boss.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looks fairly dull and lifeless, I have no real interest, but man is that a quick turn-around. It doesn't feel like it was announced that long ago.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hakkesshu posted:

Looks fairly dull and lifeless, I have no real interest, but man is that a quick turn-around. It doesn't feel like it was announced that long ago.
Gotta go forward with it fast before a WB exec shakeup turns the deal sour

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Before the Pengiun...he was a younger penguin looking dude?

It looks terrible but maybe Fox can do a Sleepy Hollow with it and just go as batshit dumb and crazy as possible to make it work.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Waterhaul posted:

Before the Pengiun...he was a younger penguin looking dude?

It looks terrible but maybe Fox can do a Sleepy Hollow with it and just go as batshit dumb and crazy as possible to make it work.

How dumb can you go with it before it ceases to be recognizable and alienates its major audience? They are screwed because the fact of the matter is people are going to want this show to be more Batman than the executives at WB/DC will likely let them be, especially since they are about to reboot the character for movies. They should have pulled an Arrow or Flash and put in some other second stringer into a TV show.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

ToastyPotato posted:

How dumb can you go with it before it ceases to be recognizable and alienates its major audience? They are screwed because the fact of the matter is people are going to want this show to be more Batman than the executives at WB/DC will likely let them be, especially since they are about to reboot the character for movies. They should have pulled an Arrow or Flash and put in some other second stringer into a TV show.

I would watch the show if they went super dumb and had Batboy and Catgirl off fighting crime. That's how dumb they should go.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Waterhaul posted:

I would watch the show if they went super dumb and had Batboy and Catgirl off fighting crime. That's how dumb they should go.

Oh come on, they wouldn't go that stupid.

This is the same logic that got us Smallville, you need to think more dumb. It'd be "the Night" and "Feline" fighting crime.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"Alfred, I told you my waifu wants HOT water!"

"Alfred, get the Martial Arts VR Training Room ready!"
"Master Bruce, I still cannot fathom how to turn on this Xbox One machine."
Like a true otaku would use a filthy gaijin console and not a PS4 from glorious Nippon.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ToastyPotato posted:

They only have the TV rights for Batman I thought. How are they working Bullock in though? Doesn't he fall under characters WB still has control of for television?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
That Gotham trailer just made me miss Southland.

Imma just pretend Ben Sherman got transferred to Gotham.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
The vibe I got from the trailer was "Before they became interesting characters you like, they were a bunch of random kids and adolescents in a city".

Still passing on this one.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
What is the reason for not just making a Batman live-action series? With Batman?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

qntm posted:

What is the reason for not just making a Batman live-action series? With Batman?

WB doesn't want Batman on TV while there's Batman movIes.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'll probably watch the first few episodes, if only for Donald Logue as Harvey Bullock, but my expectations are very low. Hopefully It'll be good and Arrow gets a buddy in the "Good comic-book TV show" category.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
They missed their opportunity to have it take place in 1930's Chic....er....Gotham.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

WB doesn't want Batman on TV while there's Batman movIes.

Apparently they also don't want Batman off TV so I guess this was the compromise.

So is it just a coincidence that this, Arrow and Agents of SHIELD are all set in superhero universes but none of the main characters have any super powers? If I had to guess I'd assume that keeping the FX budgets as low as possible was a big factor in getting these series greenlit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently they also don't want Batman off TV so I guess this was the compromise.

So is it just a coincidence that this, Arrow and Agents of SHIELD are all set in superhero universes but none of the main characters have any super powers? If I had to guess I'd assume that keeping the FX budgets as low as possible was a big factor in getting these series greenlit.

Well there's also The Flash.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Well there's also The Flash.

Ah of course there is. :doh:

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Unless it has a young Egghead or King Tut, not worth the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

They missed their opportunity to have it take place in 1930's Chic....er....Gotham.

That'd cost way more money to produce.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I've been poo-pooing Gotham since it was announced how radically different it would be from GCPD proper... But I really liked that trailer.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I just found out there's rumors of an Hourman show on CW, and rather than have the obvious Arrow connection of Rex/Rick as a scientist who reverse engineers Mirakuru into Miraclo and then has his moral dilemma about addiction and superheroics, it's about a scientist who sees crimes that will occur one hour from now. I've never gone from excited to disinterested so fast :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gotham still does nothing for me. Unless they do a time skip at some point, Bruce is just too young to get interesting. He's, what, ten years away from being the Bat? More? I can't get excited about them doing the uninteresting stuff before the character gets cool.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

jng2058 posted:

I can't get excited about them doing the uninteresting stuff before the character gets cool.

That's why I've never watched a minute of Smallville.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I watched the whole first episode, said "Nope!" and never looked back. I'm told that the last season of Smallville was basically the JLA the TV Show or something, but I simply couldn't find it in me to care.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't wait for the first episode to have Kid Riddler and Young Pengiun, and every single other episode will be generic cop show plots with Gordon dropping in to talk to Young Bruce for a minute.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Including a very special episode where Gordon teaches Bruce that drugs are neither cool nor the correct way to deal with the loss of his parents.

v Man, Lou Diamond Phillips would have made the best teen-Bane.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 6, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Urdnot Fire posted:

Including a very special episode where Gordon teaches Bruce that drugs are neither cool nor the correct way to deal with the loss of his parents.

Because everything is connected, it will be venom.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I still maintain the best possible show would have been one about Bruce's parents and their involvement with Gotham's secret societies for rich people. You could still get the Cobblepots that way, and get some Arkham stuff going too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait for the first episode to have Kid Riddler and Young Pengiun, and every single other episode will be generic cop show plots with Gordon dropping in to talk to Young Bruce for a minute.

The Riddler is actually an adult in the trailer. If the early script is right, he's works at the GCPD forensics lab or morgue. Probably autistic too. I just hope they abandoned that whole "criminal guy doing a stand up routine that is really funny" thing.

I also realised they created a new character for Jada Pinkett-Smith to play because they need an older antagonist for the series, considering most of Batman's rogues would be in their 20s at the oldest.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ToastyPotato posted:

I still maintain the best possible show would have been one about Bruce's parents and their involvement with Gotham's secret societies for rich people. You could still get the Cobblepots that way, and get some Arkham stuff going too.

They might as well just do steampunk alternate reality Batman then. Don't have to worry about continuity and we can bring back zeppelins and tommy guns.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The MSJ posted:

The Riddler is actually an adult in the trailer. If the early script is right, he's works at the GCPD forensics lab or morgue. Probably autistic too. I just hope they abandoned that whole "criminal guy doing a stand up routine that is really funny" thing.

I also realised they created a new character for Jada Pinkett-Smith to play because they need an older antagonist for the series, considering most of Batman's rogues would be in their 20s at the oldest.

The Owl people, the League of Assassins, Ras Al Ghul, Hugo Strange, the Cobblepots, and the Arkhams. There has been a lot of pre-Batman story telling done over the years, buuuuut being familiar with their own characters and their histories is probably too much to ask of them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

The Owl people, the League of Assassins, Ras Al Ghul, Hugo Strange, the Cobblepots, and the Arkhams. There has been a lot of pre-Batman story telling done over the years, buuuuut being familiar with their own characters and their histories is probably too much to ask of them.

I wonder why they did not just use Falcone if they wanted a mobster character, but I guess they really wanted Jada Pinker-Smith to be in the series. Strange would also made sense as well, maybe as Bruce's therapist or something. R'as is probably something they avoid because of Arrow.

I just realised that a 10-year-old Hush could be in this series as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I wonder why they did not just use Falcone if they wanted a mobster character, but I guess they really wanted Jada Pinker-Smith to be in the series. Strange would also made sense as well, maybe as Bruce's therapist or something. R'as is probably something they avoid because of Arrow.

It would be hilarious if the suits at WB cockblocked their own Batman based TV series from using a key Batman villain because they referenced him in another one of their shows (because even though they are now very desperate to set up their own shared universe, they have no idea how to do it, and can't help but take a shotgun approach to everything they make.)

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 7, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

SO I just watched the trailer, and while I'm still not sold on alot of it, I'm feeling a little less poo poo about it. That being said, it was a two minute trailer, but we;ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Isn't John Doman playing one of the mobsters? (Rawls from The Wire)

Also, I want to point out again that Pinkett-Smith's character is called 'Fish', almost definitely so they can do the joke where Cobblepot notes that Penguins eat Fish. I'm not sure WHICH of the two possible contexts is more likely, though.