Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I superglued / poly cemented the drat thing in almost immediately after building sengoku's head because I could tell it wouldn't want to stay in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Droyer posted:

All the orange except for the headpiece needs to be painted, as well as the white on the edge of the lambda-driver canceller's wings. The shotgun is a much darker gray than it should be too, almost black.

you're not wrong about the shotgun, but it's really hard to notice that too much next to the demolition gun. I hope they do a final battle version variant so while sosuke's manning the demogun and shotcannon, al can go subarms akimbo with giant robot ak47s.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Ignimbrite posted:

I superglued / poly cemented the drat thing in almost immediately after building sengoku's head because I could tell it wouldn't want to stay in.

I might just do this. The drat thing's too fancy for its own good.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

I wish they did something like that for the MG Sengoku Astray. I haven't broken the crest, but drat if it doesn't fall off at the drop of a hat. I can't believe how poorly designed it is.

It was like that for the original Red Frame MG.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So here's something i've slowly been working on for a while: Wing Raiser Zero.

I basically wanted to combine my two favorite Gundams together, and this is what has resulted from it so far.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

So here's something i've slowly been working on for a while: Wing Raiser Zero.

I basically wanted to combine my two favorite Gundams together, and this is what has resulted from it so far.

That's looking pretty good so far, what weapon arrangement are you going to go for?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

That's looking pretty good so far, what weapon arrangement are you going to go for?

The only thing it won't have are Wing Zero's beam sabers, and that's only because there's nowhere for me to mount them.

Edit: and 00's shield, cause gently caress that garbage shield.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 4, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So how come there hasn't been any Perfect Grade kits since 2010?

e: I'm guessing because RG kits?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Luminaflare posted:

So how come there hasn't been any Perfect Grade kits since 2010?

e: I'm guessing because RG kits?

Because Bandai can't figure out how to make them worth buying again. PG 00 Raiser has obvious weight issues, and good luck trying to pose it cause the PG base only came with the first batch of kits made meaning you have to try and actually make the loving thing stand on its feet. PG Strike Freedom has an over-engineered backpack that's infamous for breaking apart at the slightest touch, and an under-engineered body with two-thirds of the inner frame being puke gold and outer armor that's barely any more detailed than the MG.

The best PG kit is still the Strike Gundam. A detailed inner frame, two tones of white for the outer armor, and good use of diecast equal a kit that's a great display piece and is also solid enough to hold almost any ground pose. It also came out in 2004.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Also the productions made since 2010 have been the 00 Movie, Unicorn, Build Fighters and AGE. So you've got the problems of overdesigned nonsense on the 00 Qan(T), Bandai still not knowing how to do a transformable Unicorn while maintaining a certain amount of balance and detail, a series that has just ended but primarily featured reworked and customized suits from other series (Although a Build Strike wouldn't be out of the question, as Taurus said, the Strike is the best Perfect Grade, they just need to make the Full Package unit work), and a series so bad that the MGs were cancelled.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Thank God they haven't done a PG Unicorn, because knowing my purchasing habits, it would quite literally destroy me. Though the imagined size of some hypothetical monster PG Full Armor Unicorn tickles me pink.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As cliche as loving that suit is, I would buy the gently caress out of a PG sinanju

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What's this saying? I can't find used in the instructions.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

Bandai still not knowing how to do a transformable Unicorn while maintaining a certain amount of balance and detail,

You should take a look at the Metal Composites someday. PG Unicorn is entirely feasible, and it's one of the most likely contenders for the next unique PG. The only issue is that it needs metal parts to support a stable transformation, and Bandai has an odd aversion to those in their kits.

The thing you have to realize is that MG Unicorn is seven years old. Is it a badly proportioned mess that is utterly hampered by its gimmick? Yes. It is also a god drat miracle of engineering for its time, just like MG ZZ and MG V. Nowadays Bandai can easily do a lot better, they just don't because gotta reuse those molds.

Luminaflare posted:

What's this saying? I can't find used in the instructions.

It means you don't have to use it. Looking at those parts next to it, that's the HG Crossbone Maoh, right? B28 is probably for the Crossbone X1.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BlitzBlast posted:

It is also a god drat miracle of engineering for its time, just like MG ZZ and MG V.

I sometimes wonder if Tomino had the ZZ and the V be as gimmicky and ridiculously complicated as possible as a subtle "gently caress you and your model kits" to Bandai.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm still steamed the maoh came out before the actual crossbone

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

You should take a look at the Metal Composites someday. PG Unicorn is entirely feasible, and it's one of the most likely contenders for the next unique PG. The only issue is that it needs metal parts to support a stable transformation, and Bandai has an odd aversion to those in their kits.

The thing you have to realize is that MG Unicorn is seven years old. Is it a badly proportioned mess that is utterly hampered by its gimmick? Yes. It is also a god drat miracle of engineering for its time, just like MG ZZ and MG V. Nowadays Bandai can easily do a lot better, they just don't because gotta reuse those molds.

It means you don't have to use it. Looking at those parts next to it, that's the HG Crossbone Maoh, right? B28 is probably for the Crossbone X1.

Whoops, thought I mentioned that. Yeah it's the Maoh, the confusion is mostly from the fact that in all other kits I've done parts you don't use are crossed out on the runner list.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

B28 is probably for the Crossbone X1.

GET HYPE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I looked in mine. It's just the alternate dark-grey beam saber barrels for the backpack arms.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

Whoops, thought I mentioned that. Yeah it's the Maoh, the confusion is mostly from the fact that in all other kits I've done parts you don't use are crossed out on the runner list.

They say you're free to use it, so it's not outright "this isn't for this kit" like most crossed out parts. Looking at dalong, it seems they can be used as beam saber hilts.

HG X1 was confirmed a looooong time ago. A dude got in trouble for leaking it and everything.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Very slow going on this HG Nu, because of work and other issues. Was down to finishing only one or two pieces a night at some point, and had to go back and redo some parts when I didn't like the way they turned out. The worst part was managing the boundary between the yellow and blue areas. I ended up spending several nights tidying up increasingly small wobbles on that boundary, all the way down to very small strokes with a 10/0 brush.

Still, I like the way it's finally come out. Now to do the skirts, with even more areas to screw up! :suicide:

fake edit: Also, I need to learn to focus my phone cam. Designate a focus point between the knees and it focuses on the wall behind. :downs:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

W.T. Fits posted:

I sometimes wonder if Tomino had the ZZ and the V be as gimmicky and ridiculously complicated as possible as a subtle "gently caress you and your model kits" to Bandai.

I've always had this thought about the Zeta, since its a top contender for suits that have never had a truly stable transforming model.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Welp. Koto Laevatein is on the way.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Does anyone know where I could acquire extra hosing like what's used in the RG MkII? One of my calf hoses is just a little short so it's starting to catch on the socket, and fray.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

motoh posted:

Does anyone know where I could acquire extra hosing like what's used in the RG MkII? One of my calf hoses is just a little short so it's starting to catch on the socket, and fray.

Probably can order one from Gentei parts.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

motoh posted:

Does anyone know where I could acquire extra hosing like what's used in the RG MkII?

Try here or here.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TheManSeries posted:

Welp. Koto Laevatein is on the way.

Let me know what you think of it. I don't know whether I'm going to build mine right away or wait for the nice weather when I can come up with a new colorscheme for it and do it before i change my mind and boringly do the normal colors

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I think I have a problem...

Randomly on the internet, I got linked to some review shots of some Frame Arms kits.

I thought: "Oh yeah, Frame Arms. Been meaning to check them out. There's a Baselard for a decent import price." *click*

Then I thought: "The extra armour looks very swish, and it'd be a shame not to when shipping's a flat rate." *click*

I didn't think between seeing the motorcycle ninja with swords for hands and buying, but that was a sign to put the whisky down and go to bed.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I've now put together the torso, thrusters and head of my MG Duel. My only other MG is the V-Dash (which I really should get around to finishing) so I'm loving how solid a build this is, the Victory Gundam is great but its small size and fiddly combination stuff makes for a headachey model at times, whereas the Duel is basically as straightforward a gundam as you can get. I can already tell from the pegs where the shoulders attach that this is going to have some nice articulation but it's a shame I'm going to constantly have the Assault Shroud attached which will inevitably screw that up a bit.

I guess the only option is to get another kit from the GAT series. :shrug: Seriously considering the Buster but before I pull the trigger on that, is there an MG Strike that uses the same frame? I've heard conflicting reports.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes, MG Aile Strike vRM. What's tripping you up is how there's an older MG Aile Strike. Think of the vRM as the 2.0.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

I think I have a problem...

Randomly on the internet, I got linked to some review shots of some Frame Arms kits.

I thought: "Oh yeah, Frame Arms. Been meaning to check them out. There's a Baselard for a decent import price." *click*

Then I thought: "The extra armour looks very swish, and it'd be a shame not to when shipping's a flat rate." *click*

I didn't think between seeing the motorcycle ninja with swords for hands and buying, but that was a sign to put the whisky down and go to bed.

I'm in the middle of my first Frame Arms build right now. I read around on the kits a fair bit before buying them as I wanted to know what I was getting into -- I used to Gunpla several years ago and this Frame Arms is my first snap-together plastic kit in some time. I've done other projects since then, just not sprue kits.

If you're used to Bandai kits, particularly modern ones, you may be disappointed in your impulse purchase. I was mentally prepared and had adjusted my expectations accordingly.

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013

runwiled posted:

I'm in the middle of my first Frame Arms build right now. I read around on the kits a fair bit before buying them as I wanted to know what I was getting into -- I used to Gunpla several years ago and this Frame Arms is my first snap-together plastic kit in some time. I've done other projects since then, just not sprue kits.

If you're used to Bandai kits, particularly modern ones, you may be disappointed in your impulse purchase. I was mentally prepared and had adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Frame Arms are pretty much solid colors, right? What else can I expect; lack of decals, detailing? I was thinking of picking up some of the bulkier looking Frames because something about bulky looking robots just clicks with me mentally.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AFK Werewolf posted:

Frame Arms are pretty much solid colors, right? What else can I expect; lack of decals, detailing? I was thinking of picking up some of the bulkier looking Frames because something about bulky looking robots just clicks with me mentally.

The Frame Arm I have doesn't have any decals and while the weapons need painting, otherwise the color separation and details are really nice. I didn't even need to put a sticker on for the camera in the head, it came painted on.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
The Frame Arms kits are pretty paint heavy, but they're designed in a way that you don't really NEED to paint them for them to look good. at most you might do a little panel-lining if you want.

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013
Oh, okay, the dalong review pictures seemed kinda washed out. Hopefully I can enjoy my fatty robots with just a little extra work.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I just had to pick up the Sazabi ver.Ka to accompany my MG Nu, and I'll say I'm impressed. Multi layering the innerframe with light and dark grey bits. Depth of channels and sweeping curves, its looking nice. I have the head, torso, and one arm done at the moment. My only complaint is every decal is a water slide. This is especially annoying for lenses and the mono-eye. Normally I can settle for foil stickers for these parts, but I may end up painting those parts later.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's beautiful! My phone is the worst drat camera but take my word for it, it's beautiful!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TARDISman posted:

It's beautiful! My phone is the worst drat camera but take my word for it, it's beautiful!

God if they weren't so expensive I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
Speaking of Turn A, a package finally arrived!

Can't wait for exams to be over to finish the Miss Sazabi and start on this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My new GM Sniper 2 is grape-flavored, rather than blueberry! I finished this about a week ago, and I think it came out well.

I really like the way the light-piping in the visor works. It's hard to see in camera, but with a reasonable overhead light source the central camera glows when the visor's down.

The legs have a decent range of motion to the back, but forward motion seems a bit more limited.

The ankles and wrists seem a little weak. I'll have to put a layer or two of varnish on them to see if I can stiffen them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

AFK Werewolf posted:

Oh, okay, the dalong review pictures seemed kinda washed out. Hopefully I can enjoy my fatty robots with just a little extra work.

I'll elaborate a bit more since my last post was terrible and just said that you might be disappointed without qualifying anything.

I'll preface this by saying so far I like this kit and the Frame Arms designs are also what pulled me in along with the whole 'frame' concept. Some of the weapon packs are bitchin' too but I'm saving off buying one until I see whether I ruin this kit or not.

The first thing you'll notice when you get the box is that the 'frame,' or 'Architect Type-001,' is already assembled as the box has a window so you can see it. Images on the internet don't really show the thing clearly so be aware that it's also clearly just put together from sprue-parts: that's right, this is a model kit where some of the model building has been done for you. The plastic parts of the frame even have flashing and seam lines. Me being the sad bastard that I am, disassembled the whole thing and rebuilt it to my more exacting standards. You might regard this as pointless as not much of the frame will be visible under the armour.

What you might care about is the loose fit of the frame. This was great for me because it meant I could take it apart more easily but be aware that some joints will need tightening up. In particular, the shoulder and knee connections are a peg-and-socket affair and these are very prone to falling out when posing as it's only the friction of plastic-on-plastic that's holding them in place. I'm painting and varnishing the whole thing so it's going to end up very stiff for me but if you're not painting, you might want to come up with some other fix.

Moving on from the frame, the armour pieces are very much what you'd expect. They come on sprues and you just remove them and fit to your model. Some of them have an incredibly tight fit, which was awkward for me when it came to test-fitting. The plastic quality between sprues varies and isn't as consistent as Bandai kits, but that's really only a criticism if you're used to Bandai products. There's no colour separation in the kit I have either, bar one piece which has a coloured visor.

I would also recommend you get some liquid poly/poly cement as some pieces you're going to want to glue. In particular, the hands are a fucker to keep together and they like to explode without too much coercion. If you glue nothing else, glue the hand parts together to save you future frustration.

I can't think of much else to point out that's negative. I don't think the above makes these bad kits, especially considering their price point, just that they're kits that need more work than those of other manufacturers.

If people are interested I'll start recording what I'm doing so you can get an idea of what this series is like to build.

runwiled fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 7, 2014

• Locked thread