Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of that, AG sure knows how to read the air, as they say in Japan. If a pilot becomes an ace on a stage where something sad happens and you go to AG, he will say "I'm sorry, I'm just going to operate the store as normal for today, please come in next time for the ace conversation".

Eeeeh, I don't know if AG's that tactful...doesn't he (TTGL spoilers in here)Give you some Z-Chips in the intermission following Kitan's death because of the team's grief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of that, AG sure knows how to read the air, as they say in Japan.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be atmosphere, not air, for what that's worth. Agreed, though. It's a nice touch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AG is the best original character in the game.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

AG is the best original character in the game.

Not exactly setting a high bar there. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

Not exactly setting a high bar there. :v:

Still. Come on, let's replace Hibiki with Super Dimensional AG Robo in the next game. It'd be straight step up.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Still. Come on, let's replace Hibiki with Super Dimensional AG Robo in the next game. It'd be straight step up.

You know what I'm thinking? Combattler V.

Rand, Setsuko, Crowe, Hibiki and Z3.2's original (or Esther) and AG as pseudo-Ropett!

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
I actually like the idea of Hibiki but only because I want a good Sousuke/Heero expy for OG. His design isn't too generic but they didn't do anything interesting with him.

Anyway, what's up with Suzune? What's everyone's theories? I noticed that she's barely talked since after Paradigm City, but that's probably because she's just a main character accessory.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Rand, Setsuko, Crowe, Hibiki and Z3.2's original (or Esther) and AG as pseudo-Ropett!

I'll take that or the King of Braves GaoSphereGar. They've already got the lion.

Real talk though if they just have the GaoGaiGar Final characters be warped in from the end of their story I will not complain.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 7, 2014

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Brunom1 posted:

Calling it now, Z3.2's original is going to be Asakim.
Because isn't Asakim cool you guys!?:downs:

Uuuuugh, I still don't understand why Banpresto can't shove him into the corner. Suzune, Esther, Marguerite and Crowe combined cannot match that jerk in terms of me wanting to punch him in the face. Yes I know he's important for PLOT, but he still pisses me off.

But it really looks like SRW Z3.1 has more positives than negatives. So here's hoping for a really good finale to the Z series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sadly pretty sure Hibiki is still going to be the Z3 original considering how he shows up in the next-game preview.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Suzune would be a tiny bit more engaging, if so far her purpose did not literally seem to be 'a damsel in distress to protect', so Hibiki has something to fight for. He has some neat stuff going on that could have made him really interesting. He's just...not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sometimes the badassery that is indicated by him being a dimension beast hunter NOT IN A ROBOT shines through, and then he's awesome. It's few and far between though.

As for Suzune being a damsel...well, welcome to female supporting characters in every action and scifi thing ever from any country.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for Suzune being a damsel...well, welcome to female supporting characters in every action and scifi thing ever from any country.
Not really though. There are plenty of characters, even in shows represented in SRW, that step outside that role (sometimes they have their own issues, but still), and even if there weren't going 'well that's just the way things are' isn't a good way of deflecting criticism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sometimes the badassery that is indicated by him being a dimension beast hunter NOT IN A ROBOT shines through, and then he's awesome. It's few and far between though.

If Hibiki's finisher was him opening his cockpit and leaping out to stab someone in the head, Chirico-style, I'd instantly forgive everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If Hibiki's finisher was him opening his cockpit and leaping out to stab someone in the head, Chirico-style, I'd instantly forgive everything.
Doesn't he know judo? He should just do like the Kurogane Five and Judo a mech.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

Not really though. There are plenty of characters, even in shows represented in SRW, that step outside that role (sometimes they have their own issues, but still), and even if there weren't going 'well that's just the way things are' isn't a good way of deflecting criticism.
Yeah, I should have said "most" not "every". And yeah, I'm just bitter, because it's so boring and so common. It's the default way to do it if the writers don't have the motivation to think outside of the box. Every time Suzune's other side comes out I hope for a change to that way of things, but so far nothing really.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

You mean his current finisher ISN'T cool enough for you? How many finger snaps will it take for you to be satisfied?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GodofDiscord posted:

Calling it now, Z3.2's original is going to be Asakim.
Because isn't Asakim cool you guys!?:downs:

Uuuuugh, I still don't understand why Banpresto can't shove him into the corner. Suzune, Esther, Marguerite and Crowe combined cannot match that jerk in terms of me wanting to punch him in the face. Yes I know he's important for PLOT, but he still pisses me off.

But it really looks like SRW Z3.1 has more positives than negatives. So here's hoping for a really good finale to the Z series.

Asakim owns because he's an excuse for Midorikawa to ham it the gently caress up as an antagonist.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Doesn't he know judo? He should just do like the Kurogane Five and Judo a mech.

I now know my dream SRW inclusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVlvWGhs8Xw

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hell yeah, one of the first animes I ever watched! Which was kind of a problem since I basically hit peak anime immediately. At least, what was considered peak anime before the modern age of moe. Now its anime level just seems quaint.

This choice in stage 45 is kind of diabolical. If I choose one way I am basically saying yes, I DO want Asuka to be horribly maimed.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 7, 2014

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hell yeah, one of the first animes I ever watched! Which was kind of a problem since I basically hit peak anime immediately. At least, what was considered peak anime before the modern age of moe. Now its anime level just seems quaint.

This choice in stage 45 is kind of diabolical. If I choose one way I am basically saying yes, I DO want Asuka to be horribly maimed.

Yeah I wasn't too please with that, but I had to choose it to complete the scenario chart on this playthrough. Also shes a badass pilot with awesome spirits and starting skills.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

Just give me a Star Driver-esque Tau Missile :c00l:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I should have said "most" not "every". And yeah, I'm just bitter, because it's so boring and so common. It's the default way to do it if the writers don't have the motivation to think outside of the box. Every time Suzune's other side comes out I hope for a change to that way of things, but so far nothing really.

Things like this usually improve little by little in other franchises but in the case of SRW it feels like it is only getting worse. The Z series is pretty loving weird about its female originals. Suzune is probably the most blatant case and Esther is the biggest disappointment, but let's take a quick look at Z1:

-Setsuko's route is about her being constantly hated by the universe through no fault of her own.
-Two of the three originals in the antagonist faction outright hate women.
-The third is up there with Saphine in terms of cheesecake.
-The closest we've had to a competent female primary antagonist since SRW 64 (IIRC) is the puppet of a guy who uses her to get off on being beaten.
-Mail Beater. :stonklol:

Back then you could have argued that they were getting a feel for writing darker plotlines with neurotic characters, but in the context of Z2 and Z3.2 it is starting to feel deliberate. At this point I'm hoping for a Xine route because even a sexy redhead with a dickgirl robot would be an improvement.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah A-ko was probably the first anime I watched knowing it was anime (ie Voltron didn't count). It's hilarious as a total noob to the genre but gets better over the years as you start to understand the dumb references everywhere. FLCL for the 90s, perhaps.

Taken as a series A-ko would actually have more content for SRW than Iczer, probably. Start off with B-ko as a villain throwing robots at you, then the aliens and military machines get involved, the giant A-ko robot, even go nuts and have the sand monsters and submarines from the VS movies. Totally would rule.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GimmickMan posted:

Things like this usually improve little by little in other franchises but in the case of SRW it feels like it is only getting worse. The Z series is pretty loving weird about its female originals. Suzune is probably the most blatant case and Esther is the biggest disappointment, but let's take a quick look at Z1:

-Setsuko's route is about her being constantly hated by the universe through no fault of her own.
-Two of the three originals in the antagonist faction outright hate women.
-The third is up there with Saphine in terms of cheesecake.
-The closest we've had to a competent female primary antagonist since SRW 64 (IIRC) is the puppet of a guy who uses her to get off on being beaten.
-Mail Beater. :stonklol:

Back then you could have argued that they were getting a feel for writing darker plotlines with neurotic characters, but in the context of Z2 and Z3.2 it is starting to feel deliberate. At this point I'm hoping for a Xine route because even a sexy redhead with a dickgirl robot would be an improvement.

It's not deliberate, you're just incredibly sensitive and paranoid.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Does anyone happen to have Simon's shoutface from the final TTGL form? The one where his mouth opens to three times normal size? I'd love to have that handy.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

vibratingsheep posted:

Does anyone happen to have Simon's shoutface from the final TTGL form? The one where his mouth opens to three times normal size? I'd love to have that handy.

Wasn't sure which one you meant, so

have them both.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

It's not deliberate, you're just incredibly sensitive and paranoid.

I don't think it is deliberate, I used the word 'feel' because it is the only way I can accept it. It is much more likely that it is just coincidental, which is a much more depressing thought.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Prism posted:

Wasn't sure which one you meant, so

have them both.

Thanks! The colorized version is such a good face :D

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For some reason, Z3-1 is playing up the idea that Mari is a recluse. Was that in the movies and I missed it somehow?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

For some reason, Z3-1 is playing up the idea that Mari is a recluse. Was that in the movies and I missed it somehow?

I don't think anyone has any clear idea of what the heck Mari's personality is because she has like 10 lines of dialogue and maybe 3 of those are outside an Evangelion. I expect 'she's a recluse" is to help get around the fact she otherwise don't got much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey, I remember a guide out there for Z2.2 that told you who learned what spirits when. It was in Japanese, but you could still muddle through it for the most part. Does anyone have that link for that? Or an English version of it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anyone has any clear idea of what the heck Mari's personality is because she has like 10 lines of dialogue and maybe 3 of those are outside an Evangelion. I expect 'she's a recluse" is to help get around the fact she otherwise don't got much.
Yeah. She's basically Asuka without the tsun but with some mysterious Kaji-like stuff in there too...but it never came to anything since in the third movie she's just Asuka's boring sidekick.

Man, there are a lot of aspects of the new movie series that are disappointing.

edit: from a bit back

Brunom1 posted:

Eeeeh, I don't know if AG's that tactful...doesn't he (TTGL spoilers in here)Give you some Z-Chips in the intermission following Kitan's death because of the team's grief?
He doesn't give chips for emotional scenes, he merely reports that they were generated by...whatever. Anyway, it says in his description (and I agree) that he is remarkably socially conscious for a robot, to a degree that a lot of the human characters aren't. He needs to work on those "dimension jokes" though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 8, 2014

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: from a bit back
He doesn't give chips for emotional scenes, he merely reports that they were generated by...whatever.

No? I just checked the first D-Trader scene and it looks like he makes that correlation:

AG posted:

簡単に申し上げますと、人間の感情を物質に変換したものです

怒りや悲しみ等、様々な感情がZチップになりますが、それらが最も色濃く出る戦場こそがZチップの一番の採取場所となります

なお、出撃した特定メンバーの活躍や、ライバルとの熱い戦いなどもZチップを生み出す事が

Going over it quickly, isn't he saying that Z-Chips are a materialization of human emotions like anger, sadness, etc? As such, he says the battlefield is the best place to collect them (plus, extra chips are generated via battles between rivals and whatever).

It makes sense especially if you consider the D-Trader events that generate extra Z-Chips always follow missions where a specific character fights their nemesis (and Kittan's death, which generates 1000 chips).

KoB
May 1, 2009
Z-Chips are people.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
up to 32 of Dunbine.

okay tomino, you win: the mi ferrio are adorable

so... do they have plushies or anything?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

No? I just checked the first D-Trader scene and it looks like he makes that correlation:

Going over it quickly, isn't he saying that Z-Chips are a materialization of human emotions like anger, sadness, etc? As such, he says the battlefield is the best place to collect them (plus, extra chips are generated via battles between rivals and whatever).

It makes sense especially if you consider the D-Trader events that generate extra Z-Chips always follow missions where a specific character fights their nemesis (and Kittan's death, which generates 1000 chips).
I don't understand where you are disagreeing with what I wrote.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I have never seen the show, but oh how the Z games have made me hate Aquarion so much. It manages to combine the weak armor of a real robot with the inability to dodge anything of a super robot all rolled into one big bag of suck. Then the bastards decided to force me to use it a over and over.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

crowbb posted:

I have never seen the show, but oh how the Z games have made me hate Aquarion so much. It manages to combine the weak armor of a real robot with the inability to dodge anything of a super robot all rolled into one big bag of suck. Then the bastards decided to force me to use it a over and over.

Aquarion's Element System allows you to use the highest stat of all the pilots in each case, so it's one of the times that it's sensible to start putting tons of PP into boosting subpilot stats. I assume Aquarion EVOL's works the same way in Z3 (someone correct me if it doesn't).

I still found that it was pretty much necessary to staple armour items to it though, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

crowbb posted:

Sorry, Aquarion is amazing hth.

• Locked thread