Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I seriously believed for a moment Armin had his head blown off this chapter.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaha, finally called something! Ymir managed to stop being a thoughtless titan because she ate that shifter dude

Now I can die happy.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheKingofSprings posted:

[spoilers]I seriously believed for a moment Armin had his head blown off this chapter.[/spoilers]

rip Petra #2

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well with that and with what happens this chapter, I'm super scared of how alive Sasha will remain for now.

I'm pretty sure only one of the power trio will survive the ending. It will probably be Mikasa or Eren. Jean's continuing talk of sacrifice for humanity and how people sacrifice their lives for Eren in the hope he is their savior has to be foreshadowing for his arc at this point.

Wanna bet devouring someone as a titan doesn't just highlander whatever power their victim has, but their memories too? "Your father will always be at your side Annie" takes on a specific meaning if that's the case.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 5, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm pretty sure only one of the power trio will survive the ending. It will probably be Mikasa or Eren. Jean's continuing talk of sacrifice for humanity and how people sacrifice their lives for Eren in the hope he is their savior has to be foreshadowing for his arc at this point.

There's no way either of those two live, they're both way too selfless and heroic and in love. It's gotta be Armin.

:glomp: It'll end with this whole thing being Armin writing a book about the events.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't really care who lives, as long as it's not Eren.

Okay, I hope Sasha lives, but anyone else other then Mikasa I don't care about if they live.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'll legit be upset if Jean bites the bullet. Or gets his everything bitten.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

I really don't fancy Jean's survival odds at this point. He's just too much of a decent person.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just watched season 1 of the anime, want to get caught up on the manga, but is the incest vibe I get from Mikasa and Eren a continuing thing? Because I always find that stuff really gross

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tezzor posted:

Just watched season 1 of the anime, want to get caught up on the manga, but is the incest vibe I get from Mikasa and Eren a continuing thing? Because I always find that stuff really gross

They arent even related.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah seriously they're not even the same nationality. Her parents were murdered and she was adopted into his family.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
To be clear, the manga never stops to look at their relationship for good or bad. The Eren-Mikasa relationship hasn't progressed beyond vague subtext - they're both too busy not dying. The only AoT relationship that gets real pagetime is Krista's, and that's for plot reasons.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So did Dr. Jaeger somehow acquire corpses of shifters and distill it down to an injectable Titan formula? Is it related to how he cured the epidemic that Hannes mentioned?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

ETB posted:

So did Dr. Jaeger somehow acquire corpses of shifters and distill it down to an injectable Titan formula? Is it related to how he cured the epidemic that Hannes mentioned?
I'm confident that Dr. Jaegar is not from the city. He is almost certainly an infiltrator from Reiner and Berthold's village who swapped side. In fact, given that the previous titan-shifters infiltrated the city during a massive disaster, it's possible that Dr. Jaegar was both cause of and solution to the plague.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

I'm confident that Dr. Jaegar is not from the city. He is almost certainly an infiltrator from Reiner and Berthold's village who swapped side. In fact, given that the previous titan-shifters infiltrated the city during a massive disaster, it's possible that Dr. Jaegar was both cause of and solution to the plague.

We could also assume that Grisha was from Magilla Gorilla's faction. Pastor Nick said that the wall cult didn't have all the truths about whats going on, and Reiner didn't know the particulars of the power of the titans, just how to use it. Grisha says that whats in the basement will reveal everything.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Tezzor posted:

Man what the hell.

I don't think this has ever been a concern for anyone regarding this series before. This story doesn't have time for that kind of poo poo, Mikasa is just devoted to protecting Eren because he's the only family she has left. Her original family was butchered and her adoptive family eaten. I mean yeah there's people who tease her for it and Jean is jealous of Eren because of it, but there's nothing in the way of incest relationship development, or existence for that matter.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

We could also assume that Grisha was from Magilla Gorilla's faction. Pastor Nick said that the wall cult didn't have all the truths about whats going on, and Reiner didn't know the particulars of the power of the titans, just how to use it. Grisha says that whats in the basement will reveal everything.
The Walking Pube's complete ignorance of 3d gear and what language humans spoke would make Grisha the shittiest ape spy, if he was one.

But then again, we've never seen Ape Titan and Grisha Jaegar in the same room either. COINCIDENCE..??!

Squidster fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 6, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

HoneyBoy posted:

Man what the hell.

I don't think this has ever been a concern for anyone regarding this series before. This story doesn't have time for that kind of poo poo, Mikasa is just devoted to protecting Eren because he's the only family she has left. Her original family was butchered and her adoptive family eaten. I mean yeah there's people who tease her for it and Jean is jealous of Eren because of it, but there's nothing in the way of incest relationship development, or existence for that matter.

Mikasa certainly has romantic feelings for Eren but his deeper relationship with Mikasa is born out of his sense of inadequacy. Mikasa is competent and strong, Eren chafes under her constant over-protection because it's a reminder of his incompetency born of inexperience, or impulsiveness. His deeper relationship with her besides being good friends is the fact Eren wants to defend humanity, but Mikasa and Armin are the only members of humanity he can consistently protect.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

They arent even related.

This is true of most "incestuous" anime relationships, though.

There is a fundamental difference between Mikasa and the kind of characters Tezzor is probably thinking about, though, which is that there's none of the fetishistic "Ooh, how simultaneously forbidden and not forbidden!" BS.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
All you people worrying about Jean or Sasha have it easy. Annie's still trapped in amber and I don't know if she's going to get out or be a titan's cough drop!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Doesn't the fact that Eren got eaten to awaken his power in the first place kinda shoot down Hange's hypothesis? It could be Reiss is in for a nasty surprise if Eren actually makes it there.

AP 3DMG is goddamn terrifying - as expected - but I thought the reveal was quite good. You can say a lot of things about Isayama's art, but he does a great job of conveying the horror of a given scene.

WRT terrible things happening to people: At this point I think Marco almost got off easy compared to the poo poo that the rest of the trainee squad has gone through and is about to go through.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think you need to be both eaten and digested. Eren got swallowed whole, and that left him conscious enough to summon his titan form. Ymir bit BRA's friend in half from what I recall, and that probably incapacitated him to not allow an emergency transformation.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

Doesn't the fact that Eren got eaten to awaken his power in the first place kinda shoot down Hange's hypothesis? It could be Reiss is in for a nasty surprise if Eren actually makes it there.

AP 3DMG is goddamn terrifying - as expected - but I thought the reveal was quite good. You can say a lot of things about Isayama's art, but he does a great job of conveying the horror of a given scene.

WRT terrible things happening to people: At this point I think Marco almost got off easy compared to the poo poo that the rest of the trainee squad has gone through and is about to go through.

Yeah, Hange's theory is just conjecture at this point based on thin evidence. Ymir ate a guy from the Titan shifter village and Ymir regained her sentience, but there's nothing connecting the two events together. I wouldn't be surprised if Hange is onto something, but I'm guessing becoming a titan shifter is more complicated than simply eating another shifter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ATP_Power posted:

You got a point, Marco didn't see half the poo poo the others have.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Yeah, Hange's theory is just conjecture at this point based on thin evidence. Ymir ate a guy from the Titan shifter village and Ymir regained her sentience, but there's nothing connecting the two events together. I wouldn't be surprised if Hange is onto something, but I'm guessing becoming a titan shifter is more complicated than simply eating another shifter.

Annie left Eren in some kind of mucus cocoon, that may have something to do with the act of power transference. I don't think Hanji is wrong in that the act of devouring is special for titans.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Annie left Eren in some kind of mucus cocoon, that may have something to do with the act of power transference. I don't think Hanji is wrong in that the act of devouring is special for titans.

A regular titan ate Eren during Trost but didn't gain any powers. The incident triggered Eren's first transformation instead.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Hange's theory is wrong, just that it hasn't been proven definitively right. Going by Eren's history, it also takes more than being devoured to transfer powers (perhaps the shifter has to die first).

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Eren could have also just slaughtered the Titan that ate him before he could gain any power.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You got a point, Marco didn't see half the poo poo the others have.
:golfclap:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Was it ever explained why so few Titans are female/have a female appearance? I remember early on the rarity of female titans seemed to be one of the many mysteries about them. At some point I forgot about it until this chapter.

I don't think it's just that females that become titans look male or androgynous, either.

*EDIT*

Actually come to think of it, wasn't Ymir already an abberant/abnormal Titan when she ate that guy? Maybe that's part of the requirements. The one that ate Eren was a regular one.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 6, 2014

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
The armin-titan was female and it was one of the first titans seen in the series.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zogundar posted:

Was it ever explained why so few Titans are female/have a female appearance? I remember early on the rarity of female titans seemed to be one of the many mysteries about them. At some point I forgot about it until this chapter.

I don't think it's just that females that become titans look male or androgynous, either.

My theory is on the titans being giant fetus things, which is why they don't really have sexual characteristics at all.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'll legit be upset if Jean bites the bullet. Or gets his everything bitten.

Because of the similar character designs and the fact that they have the same voice actor in the anime I always think of Jean as being AoT's version of Kittan. Gurren Lagann spoilers: I bet he sacrifices himself in the most glorious, drillful way possible. (Somewhat irrelevant, but enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhmGwACPfFk&t=118s)

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
With some of the reveals in the latest chapter now I'm imagining what would happen if Richard Stallman digested Eren and became the MC instead.

"What do you want to do when you get out of this cell, Stallman?"

"I'm gonna kill all them software patents, sir."

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Seeing alternate 3d gear getups gets me stoked. I'm guessing it's anti-human in the sense that it is a superior model free of any security-based limits and their training in its use was specifically anti-personnel.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Lamebot posted:

Seeing alternate 3d gear getups gets me stoked. I'm guessing it's anti-human in the sense that it is a superior model free of any security-based limits and their training in its use was specifically anti-personnel.

Don't forget that 20 or 30mm bullet could be used to fight Titans. I was curious what weapons the conspirators had at their disposal that made them unafraid of the wall falling.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 7, 2014

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I just reread the last chapter and holey moley erwin is ripped.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Lamebot posted:

I just reread the last chapter and holey moley erwin is ripped.

Uhm. Wasn't Eren eaten once already? So....what that was just a fluke? it's not like the "stomach fluids" inside the titans do any sort of digesting.

So.......yeah.

I think the author already has something planned as a trump card for this built into Eren.

Maybe that's a special power of his. Get eaten by titan --> explode titan from inside.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

In today's Spoof on Titan, the nose knows.

Also, a tumblr harvest!

AUs!

Villains!

:3

Diabetes!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Spoof on Titan makes me retroactively regret that those characters are all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell did Gorilla Monsoon Titan eat?