Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

xanthan posted:

Didn't it have some extremely horribly worded ability, Iron Heart Surge or something, that was so vague as to be useless without house rules? Also something about martial arts that light you on fire.

That would be Iron Heart Surge, which states "When you use this maneuver, select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds. That effect ends immediately." Perfectly usable, it's just people deliberately misinterpreting it to mean that you can do things like extinguish the sun or turn off gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's dumb. Sunlight and gravity are not effects with durations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cat Mattress posted:

Nah it's pretty cool, actually. Just go invisible for a round or let em fly/jump super high through sheer willpower by saying 'Yeah, no. Not even the world itself can hold me down.'

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah it's pretty cool, actually. Just go invisible for a round or let em fly/jump super high through sheer willpower by saying 'Yeah, no. Not even the world itself can hold me down.'

The problem is, it wasn't just for a round. It just straight up ended the effect. So if you ended gravity, congratulations, everything dies because they all get flung into orbit. Ending the sunlight will, likewise, kill everyone from causing the world to freeze over.

Mind you, if I had to houserule it, it would definitely be of the "you can fly for a bit under your own willpower" because that's just hilarious.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
e: I shouldn't leave pages open so long.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cat Mattress posted:

It has a duration, the duration is just several billion years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you're that deliberately anal about it you also have to consider that Iron Heart Surge says "a duration of 1 or more rounds," meaning the effect to be ended has to be measured in rounds. Anything that says "1 min./level" or "1 hour" is right out. So is "permanent," and gravity must have permanent duration, because it doesn't just run out unless someone renews it.

... unless there's some seriously silly splatbook about the gods' daily duties.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you're that deliberately anal about it you also have to consider that Iron Heart Surge says "a duration of 1 or more rounds," meaning the effect to be ended has to be measured in rounds. Anything that says "1 min./level" or "1 hour" is right out. So is "permanent," and gravity must have permanent duration, because it doesn't just run out unless someone renews it.

That sounds like it could be a fun idea. Like, gravity is casted on regions, and the responsible god doesn't pay attention to some spots as much because no one goes there, so every few days/months/years that area has lower gravity and you can use that to access a hidden floating island or something.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Angela Christine posted:

It has a duration, the duration is just several billion years.

:spergin: These effect durations are "instantaneous", they are instead constantly reapplied. Teleport to a dark place, and you are no longer affected by sunlight; plane shift to the astral plane and you are no longer affected by gravity. Whereas these transportation spells wouldn't interrupt timed effects like the usual buffs and debuffs. :spergin:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trap sprung?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

My reading of it doesn't mention anything about the source of whatever is causing the "effect" on the character, only the "effect" on the character ends. For example; if a bunch of adventurers have been dazzled for a handful of rounds by a spell, if a PC has the Iron Heart Surge and uses it, only that person is "cured" of the effect. The other adventurers who eschew splatbooks? Still dazzled. It's a bit of a stretch to read that the source of the effect itself ends.

So a drow could use it to forgo the negative effect it suffers under the sun, in theory, it just does nothing to the sun itself.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, but the whole thing's pretty easily negated by the fact that there's a list of status effects and what they do. Poisoned means this, Stunned means that, and so on. Neither Gravity nor Illuminated by the Sun are on the freakin' list.

I'll give points to any player clever enough to try this, then I'll say "NO!" and move on. Serious points taken off for any DM dumb enough to let this happen in his or her game, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Roland Jones posted:

Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords or whatever was that for 3.5e. It was great, it made melee characters actually useful, and gave them more things to do in a fight than full attack every round. I'd argue that it's one of if not the best things in 3.5e.

So, of course, grognards hated it. The idea of melee characters doing things was "unrealistic", they shouldn't be comparable to mages, etc.

My group that I played D&D with on IRC when it came out didn't initially want anything to do with it (except for like one other guy) not because of any inherent power issues... they just didn't want to have to learn a new magic system and memorize a new spell list. :effort:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Red Metal posted:

That would be Iron Heart Surge, which states "When you use this maneuver, select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds. That effect ends immediately." Perfectly usable, it's just people deliberately misinterpreting it to mean that you can do things like extinguish the sun or turn off gravity.

People being stupidly hyper literal with 3.5 rules? Why I never

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Miracle: hey sun god could you make the sun rise a couple hours later tomorrow, i'm planning on some serious drinking tonight

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shugojin posted:

Miracle: hey sun god could you make the sun rise a couple hours later tomorrow, i'm planning on some serious drinking tonight

Though with that the Sun God can say "No"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, but the whole thing's pretty easily negated by the fact that there's a list of status effects and what they do. Poisoned means this, Stunned means that, and so on. Neither Gravity nor Illuminated by the Sun are on the freakin' list.

I'll give points to any player clever enough to try this, then I'll say "NO!" and move on. Serious points taken off for any DM dumb enough to let this happen in his or her game, though.

Depends on how the DM handles it. "Okay you turned off the sun. Everything dies. The end. Everybody roll up new characters."

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Iron Heart Surge ended any spell, effect, or condition on you. Stunned? Nauseated? Confused? Level Drained? Pregnant? Poor? Kinda peckish, not exactly hungry, but you could eat? Held to the earth by Gravity? Old? Stupid? Dirty? Human? Socially oppressed? Limited by the first, second, or third law of thermodynamics? Iron Heart Surge could fix that.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Iron Heart Surge ended any spell, effect, or condition on you. Stunned? Nauseated? Confused? Level Drained? Pregnant? Poor? Kinda peckish, not exactly hungry, but you could eat? Held to the earth by Gravity? Old? Stupid? Dirty? Human? Socially oppressed? Limited by the first, second, or third law of thermodynamics? Iron Heart Surge could fix that.
If that's how it actually works...

And so the war-blade entered the villains lair, for the villain to state "Just you mister fighter? I don't even need to worry about you pulling any magic tricks! You're going to be the one to kill me?" and he responded "No... Not at all" "Oh, you have some trick planned where the rest of your party is hi-" "No, The rest of my party is on a different plane. I'm saying I'm not going to just kill you, I'm going to kill everything in a 2 mile radius" "Oh! How do you plan on doing that mister fighter? Stabbing everyone a lot and yelling?" "Physics"

And so the war-blade used Iron Heart Surge to end his condition of "being made of matter", The energy binding his molecule and atoms and particles together was freed and was instantly converted into 1.51 gigaton of TNT, and so the kingdom of evil was brought down by unleashing a nuclear device and a soldier proving he truly had an iron heart.

and a wizard could still have done it better

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Are "effect" and "condition" seriously not defined for the game anywhere?

e: like I would actually be surprised.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, Iron Heart Surge buggery is people deliberately ignoring that effects and conditions are game-terms with specific definitions - sort of like people wanting to name purple or brown when a Magic card says 'colour of your choice'.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Allstone posted:

Yeah, Iron Heart Surge buggery is people deliberately ignoring that effects and conditions are game-terms with specific definitions - sort of like people wanting to name purple or brown when a Magic card says 'colour of your choice'.

Bu- but to do that they would have to be... nerds

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Red Metal posted:

I'm not sure why this is so confusing. It says the effect ends not the thing causing it. So if indeed you are dazzled by bright light the dazzle ends, not the light or the sun. Then it resumes next round unless you have something else that keeps the effect or condition from reapplying. drat.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

sebmojo posted:

Bu- but to do that they would have to be... nerds

This isn't even being a nerd, this is being deliberately obtuse.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm surprised nobody's brought up the fact that by the RAW, Iron Heart Surge can't even really fulfill part of its design intent. The whole point of the maneuver is to let you shake off things like being stunned, paralyzed, etc. through heroic willpower.

... except you can't use maneuvers if you're unable to take a move action. And there's no clause in Iron Heart Surge that lists it as an exception to that rule. So if you're under an effect that prevents you from being able to move, you can't use Iron Heart Surge to break the effect. :downsgun:

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Tome of Battle says "To initiate a maneuver or a stance, you must be able to move. You do not need to be able to speak." I think the intent is that you need to be able to move your body, kind of like somatic components for spells. Iron Heart Surge is a standard action anyway, so even if you could use it while unable to move, you couldn't use it while stunned or paralyzed anyway.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I like how one interpretation makes it reality-breaking overpowered, while the others make it completely useless. Stellar design there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I like how one interpretation makes it reality-breaking overpowered, while the others make it completely useless. Stellar design there.

Lets not be over generous by calling the first one an "interpretation".

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's not completely useless, just that it can't actually do the things you would expect it to do. It still completely removes a bunch of really bad effects from you, most notably that it's a 100% surefire way to blow up an antimagic field.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The various efforts to bolt new official systems onto the side of 3.x/D20 (Magic of Incarnum, Book of Nine Swords, Tome of Magic, even the Psionics rulebooks) were always, always a half-baked mess when actually put into use.

...which isn't so much of a knock against WotC as it is a measure of just how hard it is to make functional, balanced game mechanics that will be picked and pored over by a giant audience of rules lawyers who are looking for any possible loophole to gain an advantage (or to show off their giant superior brains). Those supplements had just a tiny development and playtesting budget compared to the core books, so it's no wonder they weren't tested to destruction before release.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You speak as if the corebooks to 3.x were tested with any particular vigor.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The "mess with the sun" thing doesn't sound that terrible of a read of the rule actually, because there are plenty of myths where the hero did stuff like that. Even the Bible had Yahweh stop the sun for Joshua.
Heck, in real life you had this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England%27s_Dark_Day

Which allowed revolutionary forces to escape the British army

Obviously the GM needs to instill some sense but huge effects like that are pretty reasonable if you are taking a mythic tone to the game.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr Pepper posted:

You speak as if the corebooks to 3.x were tested with any particular vigor.
3.X looks like the Apollo program compared to Incarnum or some of the schools in Tome of Magic.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FMguru posted:

The various efforts to bolt new official systems onto the side of 3.x/D20 (Magic of Incarnum, Book of Nine Swords, Tome of Magic, even the Psionics rulebooks) were always, always a half-baked mess when actually put into use.

...which isn't so much of a knock against WotC as it is a measure of just how hard it is to make functional, balanced game mechanics that will be picked and pored over by a giant audience of rules lawyers who are looking for any possible loophole to gain an advantage (or to show off their giant superior brains). Those supplements had just a tiny development and playtesting budget compared to the core books, so it's no wonder they weren't tested to destruction before release.
Tome of Battle/Magic could definitely have used better editors. The Psionics rules were mostly fine (compared to casters, anyway). Though, I do remember seeing that Deja Vu was printed twice and wondering if there was a guy on the team with a sense of humor.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

The Psionics rules were mostly fine

The second time around, yes. The original psionics rules were terrible.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

Are "effect" and "condition" seriously not defined for the game anywhere?

e: like I would actually be surprised.

Of course they weren't. And while people may feel confident saying that being poisoned is a condition, being slowed is an effect, and the human condition is neither, at that point you're talking about extremes. A mind-influencing effect that prevents you from attacking a naiad is probably an effect, but is being convinced by a naiad bard's diplomacy roll of 78 not to fight her one? Does it matter if she got that score from magical buffs to her skill? Is immobilized an effect if it's caused by being waist deep in tar? Covered in nets? Manacled to a wall? Immured in a wall? If some or all of those immobilizing effects are magical constructs of force, does that matter? How about if they were created by a conjuration spell? Or wished into being? Can you Iron Heart Surge away effects like illusions that you are not aware of, if you IHS away something you are aware of? If you're poisoned, using an iron heart surge probably doesn't let you see through an illusionary wall, but if you think you've been poisoned by an illusionary scorpion, does IHS destroy the illusion of the poison, or the illusion of the scorpion, or both, or neither, and does it stop the illusion for just you or for everyone?

And most importantly, are you sure your DM/Players will agree with you on whatever edge case crops up in your game?

The power was designed in a laboratory to cause as many arguments as possible.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

The second time around, yes. The original psionics rules were terrible.
I always forget 3.0 existed, since I wasn't playing then.

Fair enough.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Of course they weren't. And while people may feel confident saying that being poisoned is a condition, being slowed is an effect, and the human condition is neither, at that point you're talking about extremes. A mind-influencing effect that prevents you from attacking a naiad is probably an effect, but is being convinced by a naiad bard's diplomacy roll of 78 not to fight her one? Does it matter if she got that score from magical buffs to her skill? Is immobilized an effect if it's caused by being waist deep in tar? Covered in nets? Manacled to a wall? Immured in a wall? If some or all of those immobilizing effects are magical constructs of force, does that matter? How about if they were created by a conjuration spell? Or wished into being? Can you Iron Heart Surge away effects like illusions that you are not aware of, if you IHS away something you are aware of? If you're poisoned, using an iron heart surge probably doesn't let you see through an illusionary wall, but if you think you've been poisoned by an illusionary scorpion, does IHS destroy the illusion of the poison, or the illusion of the scorpion, or both, or neither, and does it stop the illusion for just you or for everyone?

And most importantly, are you sure your DM/Players will agree with you on whatever edge case crops up in your game?

The power was designed in a laboratory to cause as many arguments as possible.

I was going to go through an answer each of these individually with a simple yes or no, but I'm going to get straight to the point:

Most of this is pretty common sense stuff if your gaming group isn't comprised of borderline autistic rules lawyers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Most of this is pretty common sense stuff if your gaming group isn't comprised of borderline autistic rules lawyers.
something something GitP community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

I was going to go through an answer each of these individually with a simple yes or no, but I'm going to get straight to the point:

Save us from common sense enshrined as rules.