Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Batman and Son Deluxe for $6:
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Batman-and-Son-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/68457

I haven't really read Morrison's Batman (other than a few things here and there), but I generally am up on what went on during his run. Is this something worth picking up and reading as a stand alone volume? It's a lot of comics for $6, $1 after using the $5 credit comiXology/Amazon gave away.

Absolutely. It's the first two volumes of the run so you don't have to worry about anything (other than references to some pretty obscure Batman history.)
Must. Buy.

e: Well, I guess if you want something completely stand-alone, it does lead up to Batman RIP, but it's worth it for the J.H. Williams art in the second half, alone.

Is that part of a sale? I just see the Death of Superman sale on the front page.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, it's 12.99 for me in the US.

6 USDs here.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

edit: must have updated! Now if I follow that link (or any), it's 5.99. It's a shame that they don't post all sales in the banners, because their Sales category at the top of their menu is horribly hosed on my iPad after they revamped their site for mobile.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 6, 2014

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It'll change to $5.99 if you add to cart, and shows up on the "Sales" page: https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale

Also on the front page below the banners in the section "Now On Sale! - Batman and Son & Superman Single Issues!"

They've stopped advertising absolutely everything with banners recently (e.g. the free Image #1s never got put in the rotating banners.)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Put it in your cart directly from here and it will end up in your cart at $6.00

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though it should be mentioned some times they just screw up.

Like for a bit they added the Death of Stacys thing to the collection sale then took it off the next day.

Edit: Also how is Death Of Superman? I know its 90's as gently caress but how is it okay or really bad.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 6, 2014

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

What gets me is this panel in particular:

The art in the issue this panel's from was done by Dan Jurgens, and was comprised of a single splash panel for every page. That said, think about the circumstances in that shot. Superman and Doomsday are going at each other full-tilt, Lois is ostensibly reporting on the battle, and she's roughly three inches from a monster that is so powerful that it's killing Superman in front of her and the rest of the world. I recognize that Jurgens was trying to evoke a level of grandiosity for what was an unprecedented story in comic history, but to me this panel just underlines a deficiency in the art and storytelling that I have trouble getting past. Lois is literally closer to Doomsday than even Superman is. Yes, the writer and artist are trying to communicate how Superman is coming to terms with the fact that he's going to have to go to extreme lengths to stop Doomsday, but there has to be a better way to convey that than putting Lois within arm's reach of a monster that is battering Superman to death.

I guess the story's interesting as a novelty, but it really hasn't aged well, in my opinion.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read it probably in it's first trade in the mid 90's without any other exposure to contemporary comics and was confused for several years as to why Lex seemed like a good guy and hung out with Supergirl, and why Supergirl melted into a gross putty alien when she got beat unconscious.
I have an 18 year old memory of the part with the Blue Beetle Justice League of the time getting walloped through a house being pretty good.

I was almost considering getting the omnibus to revisit it a while ago, so I might jump on this.
Everyone might as well at least read Superman:TMoS #18 - Superman #17, just to have done it. I'm not sure how necessary the first four are on the Comixology list. Pretty sure they weren't in my old Death of Superman trade.

PS: Max Landis sucks.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 6, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

It's strange, but I looked at the page and my mind automatically put Lois in her own panel. It's not until I read your post and scrolled back up did I realize that the artist had actually placed her within the scene. You're right, it does seem like very lazy composition.

There's also something odd about Supe's left leg in that picture. The way it sweeps backwards in a perfect curve is offputting, and it seems out of proportion to the rest of his body. It's at least twice the size of his right leg and juts out from the small of his back.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Uthor posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Batman-and-Son-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/68457

I haven't really read Morrison's Batman (other than a few things here and there), but I generally am up on what went on during his run. Is this something worth picking up and reading as a stand alone volume? It's a lot of comics for $6, $1 after using the $5 credit comiXology/Amazon gave away.

If this is the Deluxe one then it should contain the stuff from the collected Black Glove volume too. That's a lotta great comics. The downside is you'll probably want to read Batman RIP immediately after. Batman & Son, Black Glove, and RIP are basically a trilogy.

I'd say grab it.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So, is the Batman and Son deluxe edition the best bang for your gift card buck on Comixology?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I hope so, it's what I spent mine on.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

Yes, the first half is a Damian story which could have been a stand alone miniseries, and the second is The Black Glove which is really good and has some great J.H. Williams III art.
EDIT: Whoops I didn't see the new page.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Is there a decent way to read Comixology comics on a computer screen? I've tried doing so through the website and the Windows 8 app and both are woefully inadequate experiences that pale in comparison to CDisplay, a program that's been around for, what, thirteen years?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

If this is the Deluxe one then it should contain the stuff from the collected Black Glove volume too. That's a lotta great comics. The downside is you'll probably want to read Batman RIP immediately after. Batman & Son, Black Glove, and RIP are basically a trilogy.

I'd say grab it.

Some of what I'm reading implies that Batman RIP ties into Final Crisis significantly--would we need/want to read Final Crisis as well as RIP to get a "full story" after Batman & Son + Black Glove?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

onefish posted:

Some of what I'm reading implies that Batman RIP ties into Final Crisis significantly--would we need/want to read Final Crisis as well as RIP to get a "full story" after Batman & Son + Black Glove?

I haven't read Final Crisis and I was pretty happy after reading RIP, so I guess not!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

onefish posted:

Final Crisis takes place directly after RIP, so you'll only need to look it up if you're going as far as 'The Return of Bruce Wayne' miniseries and his return in 'Batman and Robin' #16.
Even then, unless you want to read a really unfriendly, encompassing universe wide event that you'll need total help in understanding unless you're a DC scholar, you can skip Final Crisis and just read this: Batman is kidnapped by Darkseid for cloning, breaks out, shoots Darkseid with his own time bullet (don't worry about it) while Darkseid shoots him with his eyebeams, sending him back to the stone age. and get right onto 'Batman and Robin' and 'The Return of Bruce Wayne.' His part in Final Crisis is tiny, though significant right at the end.

Actually how he gets from RIP to Final Crisis isn't explained at all till, like a year later in a couple of issues he takes over during the next writer's Batman run (#701 & 702)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 6, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vindicator posted:

Awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

What gets me is this panel in particular:

The art in the issue this panel's from was done by Dan Jurgens, and was comprised of a single splash panel for every page. That said, think about the circumstances in that shot. Superman and Doomsday are going at each other full-tilt, Lois is ostensibly reporting on the battle, and she's roughly three inches from a monster that is so powerful that it's killing Superman in front of her and the rest of the world. I recognize that Jurgens was trying to evoke a level of grandiosity for what was an unprecedented story in comic history, but to me this panel just underlines a deficiency in the art and storytelling that I have trouble getting past. Lois is literally closer to Doomsday than even Superman is. Yes, the writer and artist are trying to communicate how Superman is coming to terms with the fact that he's going to have to go to extreme lengths to stop Doomsday, but there has to be a better way to convey that than putting Lois within arm's reach of a monster that is battering Superman to death.

I guess the story's interesting as a novelty, but it really hasn't aged well, in my opinion.

It's not a great story, though the final part being all splash pages was part of a longer-term storytelling plan in that as the battle intensified through however many issues it was (five or six?), there were fewer and fewer panels per page until the actual death issue which was just a bunch of splash pages. Granted, it didn't work as well as it should, especially if read individually, but the iea would be neat in an OGN by some really great creators.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Has there been any chatter about a merging of Kindle and comixology libraries? Kindle books can be dirt cheap sometimes, but the Kindle comics reader sucks. I have to imagine that there isn't a ton of incentive for them to maintain both technologies at this point, so a merge seems inevitable, but I wonder about a couple things:
- Will they merge a customer's Kindle and comixology libraries? Is it worth buying a really cheap Kindle book now, speculating that that we'll be able to read it in the comixology app down the road?
- What about books that are on Kindle but not comixology yet?
- Will prices in general move down to Kindle prices or up to comixology?

For example, Saga Vol. 1 is 5.30 on Kindle, 9.99 on comixology. March book 1 is 3.99 on Kindle, 7.99 on comixology. American Vampire Vol. 6 is 9.99 on Kindle, 14.99 on comixology.

Going back to this, I don't think anything official has been said and anything you've heard would be speculation.

Did Amazon sell audio books before buying Audible? Maybe you can look to that for an idea of what they will do. Seems like they are currently treating comiXology like they did Audible, from what I gather.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
At $12 the Batman and Son Deluxe Ed was already a great deal (bought if at that price). At 6, it should be a no brainer, short of a Morrison allergy.

Hell, I just used this stealth sale as an excuse to gift it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I couldn't resist the Batman and Son deal. Just a shame they didn't put Batman RIP/Return of Bruce Wayne on sale. It would been perfect too since "Death and Return of Superman" are on sale with it.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Image updated their Humble Bundle with the first trades of Manhattan Projects and Invincible: https://www.humblebundle.com/?imagecomics_bundle&utm_source=imagecomics&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Humble%20Image%20Comics%20Bundle

Pretty meh, but if you missed out on this the first time there's still some great comics to be had for the average price of $9.62.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I have the first trade of Invincible, but I haven't checked out Manhattan Projects

I really hope they do more Humble Comic Bundles, especially for other companies.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Image updated their Humble Bundle with the first trades of Manhattan Projects and Invincible: https://www.humblebundle.com/?imagecomics_bundle&utm_source=imagecomics&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Humble%20Image%20Comics%20Bundle

Pretty meh, but if you missed out on this the first time there's still some great comics to be had for the average price of $9.62.

I would definitely not describe Manhattan Projects as "meh" -- some of my favorite art in comics, and a pretty cool mindbender ramble of a story.

Also, even if you already bought the bundle, you now have access to these new additions (if you paid enough to unlock past the average) -- just re-click the link in the "Your Humble Bundle order is ready" email.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They also added the second volume of Saga.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shitshow posted:

How does it feel to be so wrong about something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are we even gonna get the FCBD comics on Comixology this week? Anyone know?
Might have to read Futures End #1 before #0.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Watch #1 is just a reprint of 0

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Shitshow posted:

I was mad that I got this last week and missed out on some good books, but I checked my download link, and they added the new ones. Great deal!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sleepingbuddha posted:

I was mad that I got this last week and missed out on some good books, but I checked my download link, and they added the new ones. Great deal!

Yeah, Humble Bundle is good about giving their later bonuses to the early backers, even if the average donation has gone up since you first gave. They be good people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

IIRC we didn't get any last year. Don't know why that isn't a priority. Probably because FCBD is primarily a retail thing?

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch #1 is just a reprint of 0

Apparently #1 is it's own issue since they released a preview for it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=21495

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hakkesshu posted:

IIRC we didn't get any last year. Don't know why that isn't a priority. Probably because FCBD is primarily a retail thing?

The only book I care about is Atomic Robo for FCBD, and 2013's is there, so we did get at least some. 2014's is not up yet when I last checked. :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. No Futures End #0 with the new comics today, so I had to go and do something I haven't done since I stopped being a scumbag and started paying for digital.
A little consolation in that it was a free comic, but that's real dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, the point of FCBD is to get people into stores so most of them don't come out digitally.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. No Futures End #0 with the new comics today, so I had to go and do something I haven't done since I stopped being a scumbag and started paying for digital.
A little consolation in that it was a free comic, but that's real dumb.

Dude the entire point of FCBD is to get people into stores.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

And it did. Now they should probably make the first part of their story available in time for people buying the second, which is a regular mass market comic.
Ideally it would've been re-printed in #1. I'm assuming the physical copies are gonzo, so anyone who missed out on Saturday is also out of luck.

DC's 2013 comic did make it to Comixology. Not sure how far after the date it was, but it wasn't the prequel to a comic coming out the following week.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 7, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I'd go into a store if there was more than like two in my entire country (and I doubt they have any interest in upholding FCBD). They should absolutely make these available digitally. Wait a week if you have to, I don't care, but I'd like to read them too.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 7, 2014

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Senor Candle posted:

I have no interest in comic book stores or physical releases. If they're going to release parts of the story for FCBD, they should provide it digitally too.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Question for Kindle Fire owners or anyone who might know:

There's no Marvel Unlimited app for the Fire so I sideloaded the Android version onto my daughter's tablet. Is there any way to get sideloaded apps to show up in Freetime? I'd rather not have to unlock her Kindle and then lock it back up every time she wants to read comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

EVGA Longoria posted:

I have no interest in comic book stores or physical releases. If they're going to release parts of the story for FCBD, they should provide it digitally too.
I honestly keep giving my LCS chance after chance and they manage to spectacularly gently caress it up every time.

Strike one: When I first went there, they were releasing Wednesday's comics on Friday, if I were lucky enough. Goons called the store and punked them out.
Strike two: They weren't selling Miracle Man because the owner didn't like Alan Moore. Alan Moore wasn't even getting paid for this comic so whatever.
Strike Three: They order so little Marvel comics that they might as well not carry them at all. I get there by noon and they're sold out of almost all Marvel comics.
Strike Four: Free comicbook day bullshit where they were charging for the free comic books.

I'd just prefer to buy everything digital or from TFAW. Their tag-line is "The only game in town!" and it's true. They can get away with this nonsense because the next closest comic shop is almost an hour and a half away. I would have rather just had digitals of the free comics as well.