Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Cherokee Jack posted:

Given the choice should I get a 65" F8000 Samsung LCD or a F8500 plasma? I can get the F8000 for about $300 cheaper than the plasma but I'm kinda leaning towards the plasma. Even my wife is warming up :haw: to the idea of a plasma. Keep in mind I'm in Canada so neither are actually really cheap.

This is probably your last chance to buy a plasma. For $300 price difference (on a $2500 tv i think?) i wouldn't even think of going for the LCD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

This is probably your last chance to buy a plasma. For $300 price difference (on a $2500 tv i think?) i wouldn't even think of going for the LCD.

It's, um... $3500. :ohdear:

Canada loving sucks when it comes to TV prices. Unless you want a "cheap" TV.

I guess Samsung is going to sell the 64F8500 for the rest of the year but if I can get one within the month I'll be happy because I already missed the Panasonic ST60 train. The extended warranties are expensive as gently caress ($399 for 2 years, $600 for 5) so that also factors into things.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We just redid a big space at work (converted a block of offices to a large open meeting space) and have a wall that we want to put a 50" TV on. We'll use it for project reviews and metrics display. Biggest factor is latency issues. We'll be using AirParrot/Reflect to send from computers in the workspace to an attached computer and just want to be able to use it without too much lag. I figure we'll be pretty much okay with any TV with a "game mode" (our conference room 60" Sharp TV works fine in game mode), but I just wanted to throw out an ask just in case anybody else had similar experience! Thanks!

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Checked out some TV's today and when you see a plasma in person compared to a LCD I don't know why anyone would go with the latter.

Going back on Monday to order a 60F8500 since I'm getting a slight discount off the sale price. Can't get a 64F8500 without breaking my budget, even with another $200 off the price. I mean it's great but a 60" is still pretty drat big (I sit about 9' away) and it fits my budget nicely, which in the long run is probably more important.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm looking at an F8500, and all I plan to do with it is connect it to a PC and play games and watch movies via the PC, so input lag and the ability to not overscan or do any weird pulldown/smoothing/edge sharpening/etc are important. Will the F8500 work for me? The room can be rather well lit (though nothing directly behind the viewer or above the TV), so I don't think a less bright plasma would work.

I sit ~10 feet away and am leaning towards the 64" because of :catdrugs:, does that sound about right or am I crazy?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The F8500 is bad for gaming, unfortunately.

To reduce lag requires putting it in PC mode, which basically shuts off all the picture quality features and looks bad. You might be able to mitigate that from the PC end but even then you're looking at about 60ms which isn't very good at all and definitely noticeable.

It also has screen tearing issues with games. The fix for that makes it more vulnerable to burn-in, which is still an issue with games because of static UI elements.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Aphrodite posted:

The F8500 is bad for gaming, unfortunately.

That's a bummer. Is there another plasma that I should consider? Supposedly the H5000 has good input lag, but the fact I can't isolate inside a dark cave makes me wary.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

My girlfriend has a Samsung 50 1080p Plasma HDTV 2009 MODEL #PN50b530s2fxza that, out of nowhere, has a nice horizontal line of dead pixels across the screen. It's not under warranty, so I'm not sure what the best course of action is at this point. I found some info online that says it's possible to fix it at home by opening up the back and fiddling with boards, but I have no experience with electronic repair, so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Does anyone have experience with this issue and advice on what to do next?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Cap fixes are super easy. A TV repair place may charge you 100-300$ but this isn't model specific advice

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Syves posted:

Looking at mounting my Sony KDL55W900A on my wall. Anyone have any recommendations for a full motion wall mount?

I used this one and it's the absolute best one I've found. It's currently holding up a 900a so I know it works.

I installed this on my wall INCORRECTLY with only 1.5 of the 3 screws being in the single stub because I am a moron. It held for over a year and when I bought the 900A, it came with free installation, and he took one look at the mount and said nope. He pulled it off the wall and reinstalled it so all three screws where in the stud.

I can't recommend this one enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L5DMOQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Well, I did it. I bought a 60F8500 today. It's bring ordered today and picked up in about a week, give or take.

Didn't have the heart to tell the salesperson that it's going to be sitting on an IKEA stand for a couple of months until I get a BDI or Salamander stand. :laugh:

I've already ordered the Disney WOW disc because there's not one single ISF calibrator here that doesn't work for Future Shop or Best Buy. So hopefully it'll at least be better than nothing. Going to be a long week but I'm really looking forward to this TV. :dance:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wow, so Geek Squad will still "calibrate" your new TV. For the low, low price of $249. I had no idea people were still trying to sell this bullshit.

http://www.geeksquad.com/services/tv-video/tv-calibration.aspx#_tab1

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow, so Geek Squad will still "calibrate" your new TV. For the low, low price of $249. I had no idea people were still trying to sell this bullshit.

http://www.geeksquad.com/services/tv-video/tv-calibration.aspx#_tab1

I mean, you could do it yourself for the same price. http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-Spyder4Elite-S4EL100-Colorimeter-Calibration/dp/B006TF36TM

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
Is calibrating a new TV night and day difference over factory settings? I'm going to be buying a new 46-55" TV in the next month but I'm definitely not paying anywhere close to $250 since that's ~25% of the purchase price.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I typically just google the model and calibration settings. Typically someone has already figured out what looks best for them, and that's enough for me.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

LorneReams posted:

I used this one and it's the absolute best one I've found. It's currently holding up a 900a so I know it works.

I installed this on my wall INCORRECTLY with only 1.5 of the 3 screws being in the single stub because I am a moron. It held for over a year and when I bought the 900A, it came with free installation, and he took one look at the mount and said nope. He pulled it off the wall and reinstalled it so all three screws where in the stud.

I can't recommend this one enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L5DMOQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the recommendation. Wasn't sure how a wall mount that attached to just 1 wall stud would hold. Good future knowledge.

I ended up going with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LL5JDA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Felt having a dual arm would be more stable than a single arm on my TV.

One thing I did not think of when I picked it out, was the gap between wall studs to mount it to. There is a stud right in the middle of the wall I wanted to mount my TV on, so a single arm mount like the one you linked actually would have probably been better. But I had to get one that needed 2 studs. Since using 2 would have put me off center by a long shot, I went out and bought an oak board that was wide enough for the mount, and could straddle 3 wall studs. Mounted the board to the wall, then mounted the armature to the board. Holy smokes that wall mount gives me a boatload of range side to side.

Also bought a speaker bar mounting kit to hang my speaker bar from the bottom. Works well, and once I got it adjusted right, can barely see the arms.

Now, since I'm in a all Sony environment, I need to figure out how to get my 1 tv remote to be able to control the TV, Blu-Ray player and speaker bar correctly. Think I need to use Bravia sync in some way shape or form. Just got it mounted up on the wall, and haven't had a chance to get everything hooked back up yet. Or learn how it communicates.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't discount the inexpensive mounts from Monoprice either - at work, we've purchased a half dozen from here and they work great:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&gclid=CMDvseL8mb4CFWNgMgodpC0AXw

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

whatupdet posted:

Is calibrating a new TV night and day difference over factory settings? I'm going to be buying a new 46-55" TV in the next month but I'm definitely not paying anywhere close to $250 since that's ~25% of the purchase price.

Yes.

My W900A (widely regarded as one of the most accurate out of the box) was sitting at 5445K for color temp on the factory settings. An hour with a C3 meter and spectracal software and it was at 6457k (reference is 6500k.)

It's easy to eyeball basic brightness, contrast, and color/tint settings with a calibration disc in about 15 minutes. That gets you about 80% of the way there. Going beyond that requires adjusting the white balance controls and that's simply not possible without a meter.

Calibration settings you find on the internet can help. However, every panel is different because there is some manufacturing variance. Settings for one don't necessarily line up with another perfectly.

It's all about how close you want to get to reference to accurately reflect what the content creator intended. You can start with a simple calibration disc and go from there.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have a 900a and wouldn't even know where to start on calibrating it. Is there an easy to follow page or something I could go to and just wing it? I don't mind spending a few bucks if I have to.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I was planning on taking a very close look at the new 4k Vizio P-series TVs (specifically the 50in announced at CES for $999). Originally they said it would be released in the Summer, but now it looks like it'll be in the Fall. Bummer. Was planning on buying one mid-summer.

https://www.facebook.com/vizio?filter=2

"The P-Series will hit stores this fall! We will have more details closer to launch."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Is the HDMI spec for 4k finished yet?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I'm looking to get a 60 inch TV with a budget of $800-$1200. My main uses are watching sports (especially hockey) and playing video games (NHL and GTA). I have an XBox so don't need any smart features. I also don't care about 3D. The room I have is pretty small, about 14'x12', so 60" is probably the largest TV I could get if not slightly too large. The room gets almost no direct sunlight and the windows are behind the TV so I don't think glare is a problem at all. Based on this thread, I was looking at the Samsung PN60F5300, which it looks like I can get for $850-$900. But I have a few concerns.

For some personal and financial reasons, it might make more sense for me to wait until around the holidays to pull the trigger. Is this TV at this price still going to be available or at least will there be a comparable plasma TV? I'm worried about everyone jumping out of the plasma game.

Is the auto brightness limiter going to ruin hockey on this TV?

Is the input lag really too much for games like NHL and GTA?

How bad is the heat from the plasma? We manage to pack 5-8 people in that room in June to watch playoff hockey and it's been a little warm in the past with my rear projection TV. Would a plasma make this unbearable?

Thanks for the help and advice.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Availability probably depends on your location. Locally several shops still have ST60,GT60 and VT60 in stock. Deeply discounted too -20% from their already sharp prices last year.

Some shops even still have the panasonic 50 series in stock.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

Availability probably depends on your location. Locally several shops still have ST60,GT60 and VT60 in stock. Deeply discounted too -20% from their already sharp prices last year.

I'd have bought one if we had them here. In Winnipeg they're non-existent. Speaking with a sales associate on Saturday he said that when word got out Panasonic was pulling out they sold out all of their ST60 series in less than a month. The S60's sold out a few weeks later. When I was back there on Monday the department manager said that all they currently have is one or two of the 65ZT60's which is going for $4699 on sale.

:sigh:

If someone is lucky enough to have one in stock BUY IT.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Where are you located?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would actually steer clear of the ZT60. Panasonic used a new zero gap construction method on them and there has been a rash of micro-fractures cropping up after rear panels were removed and replaced for other warranty work. Panasonic has been nice enough to tell owners "The screen is cracked, pound sand."

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

sellouts posted:

Where are you located?

Netherlands, you can still also find them on Amazon.de, i'm sure they are still available in other places too (but probably running out fast, most shops only still have a handful in stock).
42" ST60 goes for €660 and the 50" for €989, 55" VT60 for €1599 (21% sales tax included) Actually really tempted to convince myself i can afford to upgrade again so soon (but i can't). Stupid me bought a tv that is too small for my new house.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

My girlfriend has a Samsung 50 1080p Plasma HDTV 2009 MODEL #PN50b530s2fxza that, out of nowhere, has a nice horizontal line of dead pixels across the screen. It's not under warranty, so I'm not sure what the best course of action is at this point. I found some info online that says it's possible to fix it at home by opening up the back and fiddling with boards, but I have no experience with electronic repair, so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Does anyone have experience with this issue and advice on what to do next?

Some people say there's a way to do some sort of memory buffer wipe or some poo poo with one of the boards, but I have no idea what that means. Most people say the tube or whatever is just dying. I have another version of that TV and its only going to get worse. Currently have about an inch and a half of black at the top of the screen.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I want a new TV for my new living room, but I can't justify a $1500 TV right now. What is my best bet for a 48 - 60 inch TV right now in the $500 - $800 range? I don't need anything crazy (smart TV features, etc.) just a few HDMI outputs and what not.

My viewing range is going to be about 10-13 feet or so, for what that is worth.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Vizio e550i-b2 is a good 55" smart TV for $700.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

big mean giraffe posted:

Vizio e550i-b2 is a good 55" smart TV for $700.

I picked up this TV last week. I like it, but there's some fairly noticeable vignetting in the corners on solid colors. Is this anything others have noticed? It's probably something I can live with, because I imagine the breakpoint in ease of exchange vs. better luck with another panel isn't that great?

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

So I impulse bought a Hitachi LE58E607 from Costco the other day. The price was right at $799 CDN, but after spending a couple of days trying to calibrate and use the thing... I'm really really underwhelmed.

I come from having a 42" Hitachi Plasma circa ~2006, and a 32" Samsung LCD also about as old. I've obviously gotten used to the better blacks and warmer / more vibrant colors on the Hitachi... but this new Hitachi LED is still not performing as well as I would expect.

I am finding I need to have the back-light cranked up to 80-100% even at night-time -- definitely during the day. The black levels are just... off. Perhaps again this is being spoiled by the black levels of the plasma I am replacing, but all blacks on this new set just seem to blend together and glow slightly blue. Shadows on peoples faces completely obliterate the features they darken.

Is anyone familiar with this set? Any suggestions if so? I tried running through a few quick settings and calibrations with AVSHD, but I found it asking me to adjust things that I'm not finding an obvious correlation for in the display settings.

At this rate I am seriously considering returning this to Costco and looking at a 60" Plasma from LG that I found for the same price.

Lukano fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 10, 2014

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

direspoon posted:

I picked up this TV last week. I like it, but there's some fairly noticeable vignetting in the corners on solid colors. Is this anything others have noticed? It's probably something I can live with, because I imagine the breakpoint in ease of exchange vs. better luck with another panel isn't that great?

I picked this up as well a few weeks ago, still need to get some accurate calibration settings. For the price, it is a decent television.

However, from what I have read in any forum regarding settings, I'm starting to think that I don't have a 2014 model of this tv. Which doesn't make sense as the SKU matches up (3320006) but some recommended settings I've found online do not match up with the options to even set on this model. I'm probably wrong though and just being spergy for no reason.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Any reason I should avoid the Sony 60" 1080p 120Hz 3D LED Smart TV (KDL60W840B)? Just noticed I can do a 10% price beat guarantee and get it for $1,700 Cdn.

I love my current Sony XBR but 46 inches seems so small now, and wife has suddenly decided she's a TV watcher.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Have the 2014 Vizios hit the market yet? Specifically Costco?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

AzCoug posted:

Have the 2014 Vizios hit the market yet? Specifically Costco?

Avs forums pointed out that you can now buy these on line at best buy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in the market for a 32" to specifically be used for console gaming (PS4) 90 percent of the time. Viewing distance is about 4' to 6'. I thought about moving our current 32" 720p Samsung from our bedroom switching it with the 42" 2006-ish Panasonic plasma in my man-cave. I would continue using 42" plasma but holy cow it's a space heater - combine it with the heat output of the PS4 and I feel like I'm getting cooked in a microwave (the room is only 10'x10'). I swear that even with a fan going, the room temp is 10F higher than the rest of the house.

Heat factor aside, I'm downsizing because in FPS games, the 42" is just a ton of real estate to scan.

I've got pretty good eyes, but is there a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p at the 4'-6' distance? I don't want it to look just "okay", I want it to look great. Would prefer a dumb TV at 60hz, rather than a smart TV at 120hz. Easy test would be to hook up the PS4 to the 720p 32" and see what it looks like but am mostly curious how much I would be missing out by not getting a 1080p of the same size.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tide posted:

I've got pretty good eyes, but is there a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p at the 4'-6' distance? I don't want it to look just "okay", I want it to look great. Would prefer a dumb TV at 60hz, rather than a smart TV at 120hz. Easy test would be to hook up the PS4 to the 720p 32" and see what it looks like but am mostly curious how much I would be missing out by not getting a 1080p of the same size.

Huge difference. I gave my 720p TV to my parents after buying a larger Sony XBR 1080p and now it seems like almost as much of a leap as CRT to HD.

And I decided against the TV I mentioned a few posts earlier after seeing it because even the downgrade within the 1080p Sony line is too much.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm tired of my cheapo 32" 720P LCD TV I bought four years ago, so I'm looking to upgrade. I'm looking in the 32"-40" range (since that's the biggest that will fit on my TV stand), 1080P, and a decent amount of image enhancement features. It will be used for console gaming and the occasional PC game (that I can play with a controller).

Once in a while, I play older titles that run at 480i. My current TV makes these games a blurry mess. A TV that can make them look a bit better would be a plus.

Here's the TVs I'm considering:

Samsung UN39FH5000

Toshiba 32L244U

Sony Bravia KDL-32W650A

I think the first two TVs would be considered mid-range televisions, while the Sony is a top of the line TV. It does have deinterlacing features for 480i games as well. It does cost quite a bit more then the other TVs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mill Village posted:

I think the first two TVs would be considered mid-range televisions, while the Sony is a top of the line TV. It does have deinterlacing features for 480i games as well. It does cost quite a bit more then the other TVs, though.

The Sony one is not even close to top of the line. See my post above yours, I was just "meh"ing at the 2014 model 60" 120mhz KDL: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-60-1080p-120hz-3d-led-smart-tv-kdl60w840b-kdl60w840b/10288942.aspx

This one is top of the line: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/sony-sony-65-4k-ultra-hd-120hz-smart-3d-led-tv-xbr65x900a-xbr65x900a/10245466.aspx

I don't know enough to help with your question, but only two HDMI ports would send me running in the opposite direction on all three.