Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This came in today. Xiu Xiu - There Is No Right, There Is No Wrong 'Best Of' 2002 - 2012

Handmade packaging on clear and black vinyl.

I can't stand 'Best of' collections most of the time, because it's such a subjective thing. It helps that this on was put together by Jamie Stewart himself and every song remastered, so it's worth it for me.

Not a huge fan of the tracklist, personally. But that's always the case with collections like this; you'll always have your personal favorite.

It's an okay compilation.

In conclusion: eh.

The bonus disc of 'rarities' are a bit of a let down as well, as most can be found on their still in-print EPs such as Fag Patrol and Chapel of Chimes.

Long post about my personal musical preferences, but at least it's not a post about soundtracks.

Super jealous. That was one RSD pickup I wasn't able to find anywhere. If you get a chance do find "Unclouded Sky" because it's really, really good. Just Jamie and an acoustic guitar and ambient forest sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Long post about my personal musical preferences, but at least it's not a post about soundtracks.

No dude, this is a really rad post. I'm going to effortpost about one of my favorite records or something. I don't know a *ton* of Xiu Xiu, but it was cool to read something thoughtful.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Never listened to Xiu Xiu but I like Swans and all sorts of music from the sewer pipes - where do I start with them?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TubeStank posted:

Super jealous. That was one RSD pickup I wasn't able to find anywhere. If you get a chance do find "Unclouded Sky" because it's really, really good. Just Jamie and an acoustic guitar and ambient forest sounds.

Hot drat, that sounds great. Fag Patrol was a really nice acoustic album, so if this is anywhere near as good I'll love it.

You can still get the RSD from UK Amazon, for pretty much the price it retailed for here in Europe:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/There-Is-No-Right2lp-VINYL/dp/B00IX64E9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399470824&sr=8-1&keywords=xiu+xiu+there+is+no+right

a worthy uhh posted:

No dude, this is a really rad post. I'm going to effortpost about one of my favorite records or something. I don't know a *ton* of Xiu Xiu, but it was cool to read something thoughtful.

Thanks, I really wanted to give descriptions of every song to drum up some interest in them beyond just a random link but it might have made things too long and honestly, I didn't want to embarrass myself by giving the wrong interpretation for a song.

WASDF posted:

Never listened to Xiu Xiu but I like Swans and all sorts of music from the sewer pipes - where do I start with them?

I'd say they're pretty all over the place when it comes to sound. The Air Force for instance incorporates a (relative) lot of piano and string instruments, whereas Dear God I Hate Myself is mostly composed on a Nintendo DS with a synthesizer video game. Pretty much every album brought with it a change of the band itself, Jamie Stewart being the one constant.

So if you hate the sound of Apple For A Brain, which is rather indicative of the sound of the album Dear God I Hate Myself in general, doesn't mean you won't love the piano and percussion sound of Buzz Saw from The Air Force

I personally started with Dear God I Hate Myself and find it their most consistently good album, which was on repeat for a hell of a time. But their strongest songs seem scattered over several albums. Perhaps the best place to start, and the best way to also get comfortable with their earlier sound, is with Fabulous Muscles. It contains the song that's probably as close to a 'hit' as they will ever get, I Luv The Valley OH! and the sound ranges from rock to acoustic ballads (Fabulous Muscles) to spoken word (Support Our Troops OH!) to... trance-y? (Brian The Vampire).

A strong album, and a great introduction to the band as a whole.

Their latest album is a bit darker in tone, a big departure from Always which dealt with very dark themes but seemed to have exchanged anger for catchiness. Black Dick and Adult Friends are appropriately harsh (by Xiu Xiu standards, that is.)

I just love their sound and lyrically it's touched me many times as only few bands can.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 7, 2014

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Can somebody tell me which release of Miles Davis - Kind of Blue is the best one to get? The options are a bit overwhelming.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

caiman posted:

Can somebody tell me which release of Miles Davis - Kind of Blue is the best one to get? The options are a bit overwhelming.

You could probably find a decent enough one for 1.99 at a used record shop/goodwill store. I got mine at a yard sale.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hot drat, that sounds great. Fag Patrol was a really nice acoustic album, so if this is anywhere near as good I'll love it.

You can still get the RSD from UK Amazon, for pretty much the price it retailed for here in Europe:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/There-Is-No-Right2lp-VINYL/dp/B00IX64E9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399470824&sr=8-1&keywords=xiu+xiu+there+is+no+right

Thanks, I really wanted to give descriptions of every song to drum up some interest in them beyond just a random link but it might have made things too long and honestly, I didn't want to embarrass myself by giving the wrong interpretation for a song.

I'd say they're pretty all over the place when it comes to sound. The Air Force for instance incorporates a (relative) lot of piano and string instruments, whereas Dear God I Hate Myself is mostly composed on a Nintendo DS with a synthesizer video game. Pretty much every album brought with it a change of the band itself, Jamie Stewart being the one constant.

So if you hate the sound of Apple For A Brain, which is rather indicative of the sound of the album Dear God I Hate Myself in general, doesn't mean you won't love the piano and percussion sound of Buzz Saw from The Air Force

I personally started with Dear God I Hate Myself and find it their most consistently good album, which was on repeat for a hell of a time. But their strongest songs seem scattered over several albums. Perhaps the best place to start, and the best way to also get comfortable with their earlier sound, is with Fabulous Muscles. It contains the song that's probably as close to a 'hit' as they will ever get, I Luv The Valley OH! and the sound ranges from rock to acoustic ballads (Fabulous Muscles) to spoken word (Support Our Troops OH!) to... trance-y? (Brian The Vampire).

A strong album, and a great introduction to the band as a whole.

Their latest album is a bit darker in tone, a big departure from Always which dealt with very dark themes but seemed to have exchanged anger for catchiness. Black Dick and Adult Friends are appropriately harsh (by Xiu Xiu standards, that is.)

I just love their sound and lyrically it's touched me many times as only few bands can.

Thanks, bud. I think I'll check out Dear God I Hate Myself and their latest first off.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

caiman posted:

if you want a new copy, the recent mono release sounds great

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Thanks, bud. I think I'll check out Dear God I Hate Myself and their latest first off.

They're two of my favorite 'eras', but scattered among the other albums are much stronger songs.

I think Dear God is a really solid album though, and I'm really loving the new one. Always was a little... weak.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

a worthy uhh posted:

Let's restart the whole discussion from yesterday morning. GO!

I guess the thread is playing from the inside out?

\/\/ :hfive:

midge fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 7, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

midge posted:

I guess the thread is playing from the inside out?

I thought the thread was a locked groove.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Largest vinyl record pressing plant in the US is expanding

quote:

United Record Pressing LLC told The Tennessean on Monday that it plans to add 16 presses to its present 30

quote:

Millar also told the paper that the company is currently working its 30 presses 24 hours a day, six days a week.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
For as ridiculous as the Jack White LP is, at least it only costs $20. The new Mastodon LP, which I am very much looking forward to, has a limited edition that doesn't sound really all that special or interesting at all, and it is priced at just shy of $70.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

That kind of capital investment suggests to me that these manufacturers think that this vinyl thing is gonna stick around for a while, but I haven't priced record presses lately so who knows, maybe they cost like twenty bucks.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
He's some CanCon(Candian Content) I recently picked up. Also grabbed Ladyhawk- No Can Do at a show I went to recently.

Shrink Dust comes with a small comic(Frizz Bizz Volume One) filled Chad's drawings of Frizbee catches.
The Pink Mountaintops LP is really good, I keep playing Shakedown and it was a surprise for me to hear J Mascis' guitar all over this record. I had no idea him and Steve McBean were working together, but the pairing seems natural.

I was playing the Belly soundtrack today and have a hard time getting over that they didn't put Soul II Soul on the record, I mean I put Belly into youtube and this is the first thing that came up and the most memorable scene IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxz9CK-ePZc
I'm usually over it by Windpipe by Wu Tang. It's a great soundtrack overall though, especially if you are a fan of DMX's early soundtrack work and acting.

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 7, 2014

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Some records I've bought recently:

Goblin - Zombi OST
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Kelis - Food
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs (original press)

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low-End Theory
School of Seven Bells - Put Your Sad Down EP
The Moles - Flashbacks and Dream Sequences: The Story of the Moles
Grace Jones - Living My Life

I've been wanting that Dawn of the Dead OST for the longest time so when I finally ran into a copy today (a new reissue) I had to get it. It was way more than I would've liked to pay for a single LP, but oh well.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Just ordered Christmas Island by AJJ.
Then I listened to it.
I'm now trying to get a refund.

SableDoux
Apr 26, 2014

3dou posted:

Then I listened to it.

Yeah, a little disappointed with this release. They're slowly moving away from the sound that made me fall in love with them in the first place.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

What's up vinyl thread. I have a few 12' LPs that I've acquired over the years, and I recently was given a Magnavox stereo similar to this one:

There are a few differences between this one and mine, most prominently a vertical (!) CD player and a plastic, hinged cover for the turntable.

Is this thing worth a drat sound-wise, or should I invest in a standalone table?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My mother-in-law was a hoarder collector of many things who sadly passed away a couple of years ago to cancer. Before she died, she invited my wife and I to peruse her massive vinyl record collection that had been literally gathering dust for the past couple of decades (the Nuns and Barriers EPs I posted a while back were originally hers). We ended up walking out of her house with somewhere between 50 and 100 records... and that was only about half of her total collection. We live in Florida and this was in Virginia, so when we went home we filled a suitcase with a bunch and then left the rest at my parents' house.

I'd pretty much forgotten that we hadn't taken all the records with us until recently when my Dad wanted to know when the hell I was gonna come back and take the rest of the records. Oops. I suggested mailing them to me in small batches over time via media mail, but my mom doesn't understand how media mail works and instead spent a small fortune shipping 25 pounds of vinyl through UPS. :v:

So here's what I've been going through tonight:

(click to embiggen)

Oh and apparently this is only about half of the stuff that was at my parents' house. That record cleaning kit I just bought is about to see a lot of use.

Edit: The list in no particular order...

Big Brother & the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
Earl Hines - Once Upon a Time
Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Television - Marquee Moon
The Rascals' Greatest Hits
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
Mott the Hoople - Rock and Roll Queen
Hot Lips Page - Feelin' High & Happy
Hank Crawford - True Blue
Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveler
Johnny Winter And - Live
Johnny Winter - Nothin' But the Blues
George Benson - Goodies
George Benson - White Rabbit
Gabor Szabo - His Greatest Hits
The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack - The Nice
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
Edgar Winter's White Trash - Self-titled
BB King - Live at The Regal
The Rocky Horror Picture Show OST
Jimmy Smith - The Monster
Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
Bob Seger - Night Moves
Neil Young - Journey Through the Past OST
The James Gang - Straight Shooter
The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East
The Allman Brothers Band - Enlightened Rogues
The Allman Brothers Band - S/T
Patti Smith Group - Easter
Eagles - The Long Run
The Grateful Dead - S/T (2 copies)
The Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun

Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 8, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ballz posted:

My mother-in-law was a hoarder collector of many things who sadly passed away a couple of years ago to cancer. Before she died, she invited my wife and I to peruse her massive vinyl record collection that had been literally gathering dust for the past couple of decades (the Nuns and Barriers EPs I posted a while back were originally hers). We ended up walking out of her house with somewhere between 50 and 100 records... and that was only about half of her total collection. We live in Florida and this was in Virginia, so when we went home we filled a suitcase with a bunch and then left the rest at my parents' house.

I'd pretty much forgotten that we hadn't taken all the records with us until recently when my Dad wanted to know when the hell I was gonna come back and take the rest of the records. Oops. I suggested mailing them to me in small batches over time via media mail, but my mom doesn't understand how media mail works and instead spent a small fortune shipping 25 pounds of vinyl through UPS. :v:

So here's what I've been going through tonight:

(click to embiggen)

Oh and apparently this is only about half of the stuff that was at my parents' house. That record cleaning kit I just bought is about to see a lot of use.

Edit: The list in no particular order...

Big Brother & the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
Earl Hines - Once Upon a Time
Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Television - Marquee Moon
The Rascals' Greatest Hits
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
Mott the Hoople - Rock and Roll Queen
Hot Lips Page - Feelin' High & Happy
Hank Crawford - True Blue
Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
Johnny Winter And - Live
Johnny Winter - Nothin' But the Blues
George Benson - Goodies
George Benson - White Rabbit
Gabor Szabo - His Greatest Hits
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
Edgar Winter's White Trash - Self-titled
BB King - Live at The Regal
The Rocky Horror Picture Show OST
Jimmy Smith - The Monster
Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
Bob Seger - Night Moves
Neil Young - Journey Through the Past OST
The James Gang - Straight Shooter
The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East
The Allman Brothers Band - Enlightened Rogues
The Allman Brothers Band - S/T
Patti Smith Group - Easter
Eagles - The Long Run
The Grateful Dead - S/T (2 copies)
The Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun

It appears that your aunt had awesome taste.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Ballz posted:

My mother-in-law was a hoarder collector of many things
Congrats on the killer family score, nice to see her records have found a good home. I particularly love that Weather Report album, a favourite of mine, and an album I'd probably hold onto until I die too.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

What's up vinyl thread. I have a few 12' LPs that I've acquired over the years, and I recently was given a Magnavox stereo similar to this one:

There are a few differences between this one and mine, most prominently a vertical (!) CD player and a plastic, hinged cover for the turntable.

Is this thing worth a drat sound-wise, or should I invest in a standalone table?

Those all in ones are terrible, and you should definitely invest in a proper turntable. There is a thread in IYG that can help you out in selecting a new or used one, I'm phone posting right now so can't get the link for you but that should definitely be your next step

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Blue Raider posted:

I'm no expert but in my experience with electronics, the more different poo poo crammed into a single unit, the worse the overall quality. VCR + DVD player = crap. Turntable + radio = crap. TV + DVD + VCR = super crap. And right there you've got the motherload. What is that, five different devices? Good lord.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Blue Raider posted:

I actually saw that exact one over in a nearby thrift shop.
Didn't even bother to get it.
Any of those "X in 1" systems are terrible, as everyone else has already said.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ok, so no dice on the Magnavox. No harm done or money spent. Does anyone have any opinion on the Audio Technica AT-PL50 (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL50-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00006HO3O)?

I could ask the other thread, but as many opinions as possible are good with such things.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ballz posted:

I don't know if it's just a typo on your part considering the way everything else is formatted on your list, but that's the other way around. The Nice are the group. Rondo and Flower King of Flies are the standouts on that album.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme is awesome. 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night is one of those songs that's difficult to replicate in another format; it has to be on vinyl to be truly appreciated. Patterns is great, too. Of course Scarborough Fair, too.

Makes me jealous and I just went album hunting last week at an antique store.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

3dou posted:

Then I listened to it.

i think it's really really good but i get why people don't like it and anyway they love alienating anyone who carries expectations about their sound from record to record. it's unsurprising.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

stay depressed posted:

i think it's really really good but i get why people don't like it and anyway they love alienating anyone who carries expectations about their sound from record to record. it's unsurprising.

yeah I really like the new album and how they've evolved their sound. It feels natural coming from Knife Man. Also they can still write a song.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't know if it's just a typo on your part considering the way everything else is formatted on your list, but that's the other way around. The Nice are the group. Rondo and Flower King of Flies are the standouts on that album.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme is awesome. 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night is one of those songs that's difficult to replicate in another format; it has to be on vinyl to be truly appreciated. Patterns is great, too. Of course Scarborough Fair, too.

Makes me jealous and I just went album hunting last week at an antique store.

My bad, thanks for pointing that out.

Did 180g vinyl exist back in the 60s and 70s? I ask because the record for the Earl Hines album is noticeably heavier and seems to be a bit thicker than the other records. It sounds really, really good too, even though I haven't cleaned it yet.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

My bad, thanks for pointing that out.

Did 180g vinyl exist back in the 60s and 70s? I ask because the record for the Earl Hines album is noticeably heavier and seems to be a bit thicker than the other records. It sounds really, really good too, even though I haven't cleaned it yet.

As a specific marketing device I don't think it did. Records have always come in different weights, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BigFactory posted:

As a specific marketing device I don't think it did. Records have always come in different weights, though.

And a 180g record shouldn't really sound any different...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm facing a dilemma that I bet a lot of vinyl collectors probably face and I wanted to hear others' thoughts. I basically listen to music in three ways: on my turntable in my living room, in my office through my computer, and in my car. I value all three of these equally. So the question is, how does one go about being able to listen to his entire collection of music in all three settings? Obviously if I own a CD then it's all good, since I have CD players in all three places.

But I prefer buying vinyl over CDs. And doing so means I'm restricted to only listening in my living room. I suppose I could move my turntable into my office or buy a second one. But that still leaves the car. I have a few options here. 1. I could rip my records to digital files via a USB capable turntable. 2. I could purchase the CD version of every vinyl I buy. 3. Or I could download a copy of every vinyl I buy. All three of these have drawbacks. Number 1 is labor intensive, and I'm worried the vinyl rip won't sound that great (never done it). 2 is expensive. And 3 means I'm likely getting piss poor mp3s, if I can even find somewhere to download the album legally.

The final option would be to just not worry about being able to listen to ALL of my music in my car. But then it leaves me in a quandary every time I'm about to buy an album: "Will this be a living room album or a car album?" Kinda sucks.

What do you guys do?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

caiman posted:

I'm facing a dilemma that I bet a lot of vinyl collectors probably face and I wanted to hear others' thoughts. I basically listen to music in three ways: on my turntable in my living room, in my office through my computer, and in my car. I value all three of these equally. So the question is, how does one go about being able to listen to his entire collection of music in all three settings? Obviously if I own a CD then it's all good, since I have CD players in all three places.

But I prefer buying vinyl over CDs. And doing so means I'm restricted to only listening in my living room. I suppose I could move my turntable into my office or buy a second one. But that still leaves the car. I have a few options here. 1. I could rip my records to digital files via a USB capable turntable. 2. I could purchase the CD version of every vinyl I buy. 3. Or I could download a copy of every vinyl I buy. All three of these have drawbacks. Number 1 is labor intensive, and I'm worried the vinyl rip won't sound that great (never done it). 2 is expensive. And 3 means I'm likely getting piss poor mp3s, if I can even find somewhere to download the album legally.

The final option would be to just not worry about being able to listen to ALL of my music in my car. But then it leaves me in a quandary every time I'm about to buy an album: "Will this be a living room album or a car album?" Kinda sucks.

What do you guys do?

Turntable for vinyl, spotify for everything else.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

And a 180g record shouldn't really sound any different...

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have worded it like that. Most (all) of the records are extremely dirty due to years stashed away in a hoarder's house and a few show varying degrees of warping. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this particular one sounded when I played it last night in addition to the heavier feel it has when I handled it.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
most new things come with download codes and those codes provide high quality mp3s. i don't know where you're getting "piss poor" legal mp3s from online. if it's a download code from the label or from bandcamp you can't really get bad quality files. if it doesn't have a download code, pirate it. if you can't pirate it in good quality (you can, look harder) buy it on bandcamp/iTunes/CD

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ambushsabre posted:

Turntable for vinyl, spotify for everything else.

Eh, I guess that's an option too. I have a Spotify premium subscription, but I mostly think of it as a way to try out new music before I buy it. The best I can get is 320kps. Not bad, but it's no CD/Vinyl/FLAC. I also don't currently have the ability to play it in my car, but that's something I could solve.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
or yeah just pony up for spotify premium which will probably have everything you want

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

caiman posted:

And 3 means I'm likely getting piss poor mp3s, if I can even find somewhere to download the album legally.

Keep a digital archive on an iPod (or whatever) for the car/office and an analog archive for the living room and/or office.

Most labels are good about offering 320k mp3s as downloads with new releases. In fact, these days it's not hard to find 320k mp3s anywhere, legally or otherwise. If you're uncomfortable with illegal activity or you're at a loss as to where to find rarer things, I'll eBay a cheap used copy on CD to be able to get a quality rip myself. And if worse comes to worse and you're stuck with downloading a lower bit rate, try not to think about it. I'm not about to start or participate in a digital sound quality war, and so this is all I'll say about it: you won't be able to hear the difference.

edit: to clarify my opinion, you will hear a qualitative difference between vinyl and CD/digital (that's why we're all into records here!), but you will not be able to hear a difference in quality across comparable digital formats.

On a different note, and while I feel like posting, I'm so sick of all the "we promise, no compression" bullshit marketing tactics most recently seen in that Jack White video. A compressor is a legitimate piece of analog equipment that serves a very specific function. I guarantee you that it's used across most instruments on that record. What he's obviously referring to is the modern tendency to feed the master track into a compressor/limiter and use it to boost the overall perception of volume while squashing the dynamics of the track. But come on, give the little ol' compressor a break! We are indebted to it for most of the recorded sounds that we love.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
If your ears are so delicate that you find mp3s offensive, then yes, you are in a conundrum, but in a totally silly first-world-problem one.