Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I have a pair of beats earphones for my workouts and they are ridiculous loving bassy. To the point where the song is clearly distorted and loses all instrument separation. Got them as a gift though, so screw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

KillHour posted:

I didn't try the studios, I think the ones I tried were the solos (hard to remember). I have a feeling each new "Beats" model is whatever Monster happens to have a ton of left-over drivers for, so there's probably not a ton in common between models.

Edit: I'm not sure why you need bluetooth, but would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-PHA05BT-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0065V9TXC

+

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossf...da+crossfade+lp

Monster no longer makes Beats and hasn't for something like two years.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Before I post to Reddit or Head-Fi, I'm selling my Mad Dogs for $200 as a goon special to USA. Let me know if interested!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Ended up buying a pair of Beats Studio Wireless off Craigslist. The quality and comfort is sort of what you'd expect from an average pair of mid-range headphones, but if you narrow it down to just bluetooth support it's probably the best choice. Even Consumer Reports gave it the thumbs up. These are the second version which are supposedly less obnoxious with better balanced audio. The bass definitely doesn't sound overwhelming at all, at least to me. If anything it's... less powerful than I expected? Range is excellent, my BlueBuds could barely make it from my pocket to my ears, the Beats work all over my apartment. Still keeping the BlueBuds for the gym though.

Midorka posted:

Now I have a question for you: Why wouldn't any wireless headphone accept a stream using the apt-X or AAC codecs as long as your media player can? I'm not versed in wireless, I actively avoid them after demoing a few, but from my understanding you use whatever media player you want. Therefore whatever codecs your media player can play, then your headphones will receive the signal. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

You're thinking about it wrong - bluetooth audio is just another line out/in, and A2DP is the bluetooth profile that provides stereo audio connectivity between devices. Within that, there's different codecs it can use, the two most common are SBC and aptX. SBC is cheap and easy to implement, but lossy and there's a notable degradation in quality. The good codec is aptX, which uses some fancy nearly-lossless algorithm that adapts to available bandwidth and source compression type. A decent codec is really important because bluetooth links have poor consistency and limited bandwidth.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NOTinuyasha posted:

Consumer Reports gave it the thumbs up.
Consumer Reports is only useful for household appliances.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Consumer Reports is only useful for household appliances.

Yeah they are notoriously bad for electronics. Also, they hate Dyson stuff for whatever reason.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
They hate anything cool. Beats are the epitome of cool. If they grudgingly admitted the wireless studio model was worth buying, I'll take that seriously. Even if they did sort of imply it was only recommended because there's limited competition when it comes to bluetooth headphones.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Has anyone heard the Sony MDR-10r yet? Not the MDR-1, the new 10r. Curious to hear any impressions on it. Also how is Sony in general these days, especially with IEMs?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah they are notoriously bad for electronics. Also, they hate Dyson stuff for whatever reason.

Because Dyson products are poo poo. They're the Bose/Beats of the vacuum world. I owned a Dyson Animal, that loving thing couldn't suck up anything. Yeah it was easy to maneuver but the suction is absolute poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midorka posted:

Because Dyson products are poo poo. They're the Bose/Beats of the vacuum world. I owned a Dyson Animal, that loving thing couldn't suck up anything. Yeah it was easy to maneuver but the suction is absolute poo poo.
So it never loses suction. It's just that the suction itself is poor?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They are highly divisive for whatever reason. There are just as many people who think they're the most amazing vacuums ever and nothing else has nearly as much suction. I think they're silly myself. But that's not really headphone chat anymore.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

So it never loses suction. It's just that the suction itself is poor?

A while ago someone a vacuum repair/sales guy posted on Reddit, did an AMA. He said that Dysons barely register a 1 out of 10 on suction. He said that Hoover WindTunnels are basically the way to go if you want something decent and affordable. I believe they pulled something like a 4 or 5.

There was another vacuum repair guy more recently who said that they break all the time.

Mine never broke with daily use, 3 cats, in 3 years. I still hated how poorly it actually cleaned.

I think we may be getting a bit off-topic though...

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Let's Talk Vacuums IV: Should I get a Dyson? Do I need suction?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Kirby still good? Bass and Suction.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

I have my music in V0, but like I said I normally just listen to it all on Google Music. Does anyone know what I'm listening to? I'm sure they do something to my V0 before it hits my ears.

My understanding is that Google Music keeps your original file exactly, as long as we're talking about MP3s. I believe FLAC/ALAC/etc. are converted to some sort of MP3. They do recompress your file for delivery if you're not using high quality streaming, which I believe is not the default at least on the android app.

I believe there is also some sort of file matching that happens - if you upload a low quality MP3 that it can match to an album/song in the Google Play store, it will use the store's version.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Okay, I'm sad and am looking for goon guidance.

So I had a set of Vsonic GR07s for almost a year. Right earpiece has dipped to a whisper while the left is fine. I emailed their support as I'm still in warranty, but the year is up on May 6th, so who knows if they'll get back to me in time or not? I'm prepped to buy a new set, so here are my criteria.

Budget: $125-$200
Source: iPhone 4 or onboard sound from laptop.
Isolation: Would prefer lots of isolation if possible.
Type: IEM, over ear closed cans. (IEM preferred for portability, but will be okay with over ear closed if necessary)
Tonal balance: I like stronger mids, a wide soundstage, clarity, and a punchier low end. Don't know if I can get all that in one package.
Past phones: Just the GR07s. I've had lots of cheap ones, but those were the first decent pair I'd owned. The GR07s had strong enough bass to hear it clearly, but it wasn't overpowering, and the soundstage was super wide. Everything was nice and separated and I loved that. My only complaint was that the trebble could get pretty sibilant which could fatigue after a while. Don't want something that'll rattle my jaw, but I prefer mids and lows to highs. I'd say a well-defined/separated soundstage is my most valued criteria.
Preferred music: Metal, jazz, some punk, classical, acoustic folk, bluegrass. But I'm pretty eclectic in general.

Thanks in advance. I'm heartbroken without a decent pair.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
Odd question - wasn't quite sure where else to put this:

A few months ago I bought a new gaming headset (Sennheiser PC 320s - it was on sale). Up until now they've been doing great and I'm happy with the quality of both the earpieces and the mic.

Tonight I sat up from my chair while wearing the headphones, and received a minor static shock to my left ear. Along with this, the left earpiece stopped working altogether.

I've received a few similar shocks before, but never figured it'd cause any sort of permanent damage to the headphones. Is there any way of salvaging these headphones, or are they kaput, short of pursuing the warranty?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Before I post to Reddit or Head-Fi, I'm selling my Mad Dogs for $200 as a goon special to USA. Let me know if interested!

How did you like the Mad Dogs? That is a fantastic price, kind of wondering why you are getting rid of them.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I went ahead and bought Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I am very well pleased with my purchase at $108. Though I do admit that I'm not adept enough to know if I would have been better served by the $70-$90 cans recommended to me by the thread.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I went ahead and bought Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I am very well pleased with my purchase at $108. Though I do admit that I'm not adept enough to know if I would have been better served by the $70-$90 cans recommended to me by the thread.

The M50 are a gateway drug. They started me down a very expensive path. Enjoy them!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

How did you like the Mad Dogs? That is a fantastic price, kind of wondering why you are getting rid of them.

I think the Mad Dogs are drat near perfect, a little more sub-bass and they'd stand up to anything over $500. I suppose the Alpha Dogs are their answer to my complaints?

I'm selling them because I'm moving and have the Oppo PM-1.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

BurningBeard posted:

Okay, I'm sad and am looking for goon guidance.

So I had a set of Vsonic GR07s for almost a year. Right earpiece has dipped to a whisper while the left is fine. I emailed their support as I'm still in warranty, but the year is up on May 6th, so who knows if they'll get back to me in time or not? I'm prepped to buy a new set, so here are my criteria.

Hopefully someone gets back to you. My GR07s are fully working, but the sibilance keeps me from listening to them regularly, and I just use my V-Moda Crossfade LPs. I really preferred the GR07, but way too fatiguing.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

shymog posted:

Hopefully someone gets back to you. My GR07s are fully working, but the sibilance keeps me from listening to them regularly, and I just use my V-Moda Crossfade LPs. I really preferred the GR07, but way too fatiguing.

Got inpatient and went with the ATH M50x. Seems they come highly recommended in a lot of places including this thread and should be a good deal more durable than the GR07s. I didn't find them fatiguing unless the volume was cranked especially high. But I know what you mean.
On a related note, can anyone make an educated comparison between the GR07s and the m50s? It seems like both sets are pretty balanced but I'm comparatively new to higher end audio in general so some insight would be appreciated.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wanted to try a pair of knockaround noise-canceling phones for air travel. As great as the isolation is with IEMs, sometime I get some fatigue and head pressure.

I grabbed these:

NoiseHush I7 Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Retail Packaging - Black/Silver by NoiseHush http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSXRBGE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_J.vAtb12C4KQ8

and spent the last day ABing them against the QC15s they obviously ripped off.

Conclusion: neither offers the level of isolation I'm used to with IEMs, but everything the Bose pair cancels, the Noisehush pair cancels just about as well. Based on their performance in that regard, I think it would be crazy to spend the Bose money.

Sound quality wise, they're different. Any way I'd describe the differences would be subjective and absolute sound quality isn't why you buy ANC anyway.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 6, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I wanted to try a pair of knockaround noise-canceling phones for air travel. As great as the isolation is with IEMs, sometime I get some fatigue and head pressure.

I grabbed these:

NoiseHush I7 Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Retail Packaging - Black/Silver by NoiseHush http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSXRBGE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_J.vAtb12C4KQ8

and spent the last day ABing them against the QC15s they obviously ripped off.

Conclusion: neither offers the level of isolation I'm used to with IEMs, but everything the Bose pair cancels, the Noisehush pair cancels just about as well. Based on their performance in that regard, I think it would be crazy to spend the Bose money.

Sound quality wise, they're different. Any way I'd describe the differences would be subjective and absolute sound quality isn't why you buy ANC anyway.

If you get fatigue and head pressure with IEMs something isn't right. I ended up over the years amassing quite a tip collection as I sought to improve fit and isolation and got to the point where I could go full international without removing my iems.

Have you considered a custom fit iem? I made the leap late last year and would have a hard time going back now. So comfortable and good isolation. I may try a custom fit silicone set for even more isolation but the acrylic customs I have now are fine for even 10+ hour flights.

And for the record I went from the Bose ANC stuff to iems, so I get the journey and what you are looking for...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you get fatigue and head pressure with IEMs something isn't right. I ended up over the years amassing quite a tip collection as I sought to improve fit and isolation and got to the point where I could go full international without removing my iems.

Have you considered a custom fit iem? I made the leap late last year and would have a hard time going back now. So comfortable and good isolation. I may try a custom fit silicone set for even more isolation but the acrylic customs I have now are fine for even 10+ hour flights.

And for the record I went from the Bose ANC stuff to iems, so I get the journey and what you are looking for...

I have customs. Had them for several years and they're still a good fit.

They seal so well that sometimes my ears don't seem to adjust with cabin pressure changes. I'm tired of having to unscrew them from my head periodically to normalize or to tell the sky waitress I don't want any drat peanuts.

These things are nice like comfy earmuffs for the short (often turboprop) flights I take.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'd like to get some wireless headphones for watching TV (through my computer) on my couch when others are sleeping. I've had a look on Amazon and there seem to be lots of options and a pretty wide range of prices and I don't really know what I'm looking for. Can anyone here tell me what I should buy?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anybody speak some words of the VSD1S vs HiSound Audio WooDuo 2? I've been looking for some cheap new IEMs for bus use and I've narrowed it down to these two.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Ordered Superlux HD-660s yesterday. Also probably going to buy a Tubemagic D1+ DAC / headphone amp later this month.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm planning on picking up my a pair of wireless headphones for my dad for Father's Day, since he was complaining about the cord getting in the way when he was doing some yard work. Preferably something in the $100-$150 range. I didn't see much in the line of specifics for them in the OP so I thought I'd ask if the thread had any general recommendations.

He's no audiophile, but does have some preference for better sounding music. But he does mostly listen to stuff of his ipod that was ripped through itunes.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Looking for some goon advice

Budget - About £100, maybe a little more

Source - iPhone, iPad and Mac

Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation? I'll be using them on public transport so preferably

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I have a pair of over ear Phillips but I prefer in ear when out and about

Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't really have a clue. Balanced, I guess?

Past Headphones - I've had two pairs of S4i's but they've both ended up broken. They were pretty great while they lasted though. Currently using a pair of Apple EarPods but they're not really cutting it

Preferred Music - Alternative, electronic and rock. Listen to quite a lot of podcasts too.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hey guys, advice please:

Budget - I'd like to keep it $100-150, but I'll go up to $200 if need be.

Source - Audio Technica AT-PL50 into a stereo amp.

Isolation Requirements - I want isolation.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear definitely. Big ones. Pure home use for music.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I suppose balanced, but I definitely want headphones that are substantial in the low end.

Past Headphones - I've had a decent Polk that didn't have a ton of bass and pleather pads that made my ears sweat, Turtle Beaches (lol) that I mention to be funny, and an old pair of Magnavoxes that I don't have much to say about. I'm just getting into the audiophile thing.

Preferred Music - Alt-country, folk, and stoner metal for the most part. Drive-By Truckers and the Sword are good bands to use as examples for a spectrum.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

Hey guys, advice please:

Budget - I'd like to keep it $100-150, but I'll go up to $200 if need be.

Source - Audio Technica AT-PL50 into a stereo amp.

Isolation Requirements - I want isolation.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear definitely. Big ones. Pure home use for music.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I suppose balanced, but I definitely want headphones that are substantial in the low end.

Past Headphones - I've had a decent Polk that didn't have a ton of bass and pleather pads that made my ears sweat, Turtle Beaches (lol) that I mention to be funny, and an old pair of Magnavoxes that I don't have much to say about. I'm just getting into the audiophile thing.

Preferred Music - Alt-country, folk, and stoner metal for the most part. Drive-By Truckers and the Sword are good bands to use as examples for a spectrum.

How about http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-closed-studio-headphones-250-ohms

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Or maybe the easier to drive 80ohm model.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-closed-studio-headphones

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cool, thanks guys.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
Can anyone recommend a set of IEMs that:

Have interchangeable tips and/or an option for custom molded plugs
Have a microphone and controls that work with an iPhone
Sound as good as possible within a ~$300 price range (good being neutral, clear, and accurate. I don't care for heavy bass and listen to a wide variety of music)
Have a narrow 3.5mm connector to fit through a phone case
Preferably have a bit of distance between the earphones and the controls so the controls don't sit right under my chin

I currently use Klipsch S4i's which I like, except for the problem with the cord. I'm looking to see if there is anything with better sound quality that I can still use with my phone or MP3 player when running. I am considering the RBH EP2's or B&W C5's that are recommended on thewirecutter, but wanted to look into other options as well.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I just recently picked up one of these so that I could use whatever headphones / IEMs I liked: http://amzn.com/B002RL9WDQ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People say the 250 ohm version sounds better, but is that even physically possible?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

teamdest posted:

Can anyone recommend a set of IEMs that:

Have interchangeable tips and/or an option for custom molded plugs
Have a microphone and controls that work with an iPhone
Sound as good as possible within a ~$300 price range (good being neutral, clear, and accurate. I don't care for heavy bass and listen to a wide variety of music)
Have a narrow 3.5mm connector to fit through a phone case
Preferably have a bit of distance between the earphones and the controls so the controls don't sit right under my chin

I currently use Klipsch S4i's which I like, except for the problem with the cord. I'm looking to see if there is anything with better sound quality that I can still use with my phone or MP3 player when running. I am considering the RBH EP2's or B&W C5's that are recommended on thewirecutter, but wanted to look into other options as well.

Um... are you looking for neutral sound signature or something like your S4i's? The S4i's aren't remotely neutral headphones, even the reference version.

As for custom tips, you can get custom tips for just about anything these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

People say the 250 ohm version sounds better, but is that even physically possible?

My guess would be that their amps have high output impedance causing poor damping factor resulting in poor bass response. Just a guess though.

Finished a review of the Heir Audio 2.ai. Check it out.