Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's vodkavideos' thing, they always put a nice clip at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I was all set to buy a g1w but loads of you seem to be having weird issues with then. A möbius is only £5 more - should I get one of these instead?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Tomarse posted:

I was all set to buy a g1w but loads of you seem to be having weird issues with then. A möbius is only £5 more - should I get one of these instead?

I bought mine a couple of months ago and have not had a single issue. My card is a Sandisk 32gb Class 10 micro SD, which is supposed to cause all sorts of problems.(Amazon Link where I bought camera, and Amazon link for card)

You are going to hear more about the negatives than the positives, especially since it is a "set it and forget it" type of device.

Just buy whichever one looks better to you. Neither of them is going to be all that well quality-controlled (what do you expect from a $50 1080p video camera?), but 90% of them will be perfectly fine.

Edit - 9/10 being useable would be awful for a company like Sony, but their dashcam would also cost $400.

subx fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 7, 2014

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I've been running a G1W since January with no problems. Well one problem was the power plug worked its way out and I lost power during some spirited driving in the mountains. The fix was reaching down and pushing it back into the cigarette lighter when I realized it. I could fix that with hardwiring if I really cared that much. But the camera has done what I've asked of it for the last 5 months. I do think I'm going to pick up a Mobius this summer as I've picked up a couple summer school classes to teach so I've got some extra money to spend and would like something a little more discreet.

Like other say, buy whichever one you like. They are all cheap cams and will be similar in appearance and performance.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

I really like my mobius. It feels like a quality product, there aren't any known hardware problems with it and there's new firmware about every month - fixing issues and tweaking things that I didn't even know existed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So my dashcam worked to keep people around me driving completely normal for about 3 weeks. Today the new apparently wore off, so I put together a quick compilation of the notable dorks during today's drive.

1) Seemed a lot closer at the time than it looks like in the video, guy makes an awesome lane change.
2) Nobody is in this lane, I'll just go ahead and pull out there.
3) Dude in BMW from Cardinal's facility.
4) Wood debris on I-10
5) Guy cuts off semi and brake-checks him at the same time to hit his exit. This one is kind of hard to see between the sun and the distance ahead, but notice how the semi ends up partially out of his lane - he had to brake extremely hard to keep from driving over top of the moron in the white truck, and apparently his truck likes to veer right under hard braking.

Oh yea, fair warning - I was too lazy to edit out the sound so you get whatever music/radio was playing at each event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dyUapodKE

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The mobius ignition issue is currently causing me grief. The 12v power socket on my car is always live so I don't want to use it for a dash cam, so I'm using the usb socket instead. The problem is when you unlock the car the usb powers on briefly but not long enough to fully boot the mobius, and by the time I've started the car a few seconds later the mobius doesn't seem to catch it in time so its not turned on. This is a known limitation with the mobius where it needs uninterrupted power at 5 seconds into booting.

I don't want to have plug/unplug the camera or press the power button, so its kind of useless at the moment as I can't rely on it actually recording.

I think the only answer is going to be to put in a separate usb socket thats linked to the ignition which I could hide away in the glovebox to be a bit tidier and more discrete.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah but when you crank the starter isn't it going to cause the same issue?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Baconroll posted:

The mobius ignition issue is currently causing me grief. The 12v power socket on my car is always live so I don't want to use it for a dash cam, so I'm using the usb socket instead. The problem is when you unlock the car the usb powers on briefly but not long enough to fully boot the mobius, and by the time I've started the car a few seconds later the mobius doesn't seem to catch it in time so its not turned on. This is a known limitation with the mobius where it needs uninterrupted power at 5 seconds into booting.

I don't want to have plug/unplug the camera or press the power button, so its kind of useless at the moment as I can't rely on it actually recording.

I think the only answer is going to be to put in a separate usb socket thats linked to the ignition which I could hide away in the glovebox to be a bit tidier and more discrete.

Doesn't this setting help that?

quote:

Power-on Delay
This parameter gives the user the choice of having a 2-3 sec. delayed power-up, or an instantaneous power-up with no delay.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Well my G1W continues to randomly stop recording after it completes a loop of video. I put a brand new 32gb Transcend card in it two days ago, class 10, its recommended by a lot of places for the G1W. Its a shame, because the camera is awesome, but these random recording stops make it useless as a dash cam. It is weird though, it reaches the end of the 3 minute loop and just stops recording, stays on, but decides its time to turn its recording function off. I've reset the unit to default settings, and tried everything.

If its not the camera, then its the power cord, I hid the wire inside my dash, pulled back the trim and everything. I hope that I didn't break the wire somewhere, but even if I did, the camera would just turn off, not stop recording and remain on in standby.

I have a G1W-H on the way from Baiklov on amazon, should be here within a week. If the same problem persists, I'm gonna have to remove the cigarette adapter from the G1W, and install the one that comes with the G1W-H, I'd prefer not to do that because I think they draw the same amount of power and should be identical, but I have no clue what else it could be.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Axim posted:

I have a G1W-H on the way from Baiklov on amazon, should be here within a week.

I have a G1W from Baiklov and thus far I have not experienced the same issues that are being described here. Knock on wood.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Wickerman posted:

I have a G1W from Baiklov and thus far I have not experienced the same issues that are being described here. Knock on wood.

My G1W came from Baiklov too, I was told that they are one of the main suppliers of good ones. Funny enough, there is a thread on dashcamtalk that states that Baiklov has sent out counterfeits before, so I don't know.

My malfunctioning G1W from Baiklow must be one of the new 2014 models, it came in the new blue box, not red or black. I'm gonna rip it open when my G1W-H comes in and see if the G1W had 200 or 320 maH battery.

Regardless, the only legitimate places I know of as of now to get G1W cameras is from Foxoffer, estore009 on ebay, Baiklov (although apparently they had a fake now...) and I've heard good reviews for SpyTec, they only see the G1W and G1W-C, but they have an actual store in NYC, so I can go there personally. If my new G1W-H from Baiklov has the same issues, I will return it and pick up a G1W-C locally from spytec.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Axim posted:

If my new G1W-H from Baiklov has the same issues, I will return it and pick up a G1W-C locally from spytec.

Why don't you just buy a Mobius? Spytec has them and they actually look like better products for an extra $20.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

spog posted:

Doesn't this setting help that?

I tried that setting but it only seems to effect the manual power on button.

So I've the sold the mobius and got a mini 0801 earlier today - that fits perfectly behind the rear-view mirror (mobius was a bit too deep for my car), and has no issues with how the usb is powered in my car.

Now thinking of getting a second 0801 to point out the rear window as the 3 times I've been hit by other cars its always been from behind.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Wickerman posted:

Why don't you just buy a Mobius? Spytec has them and they actually look like better products for an extra $20.

I have heard of them, if the G1W-H is also lovely, I'll pickup the möbius locally then, thanks for the suggestion.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Snagged the G1W mirror mount.

It.. it mostly works. You have to get it centered juuuuuust right to keep minor mirror adjustments from loving with the camera (this is more because of the very short mount for the mirror on my car, I think).. It does get rid of the suction cup on the windshield, but it moves the camera far enough down that it makes it even more obvious. I also found out it's a complete bitch to remove the camera from it, the mount is a very tight fit to the camera body. Plus, my mirror actually has a few buttons on it (OnStar buttons + outside temp display buttons), and moves pretty easily..

Probably going to spray paint the camera body black, or cover it in black tape, or something along those lines to make it stand out less.

At the least, it freed up a mount for my semi-working G1W (which I've been meaning to toss in the back window for months now). The old one randomly decides "oh hey, I think I'm running off of USB power, even with the cable completely disconnected, until my internal battery dies.. and while I'm doing this, none of my buttons work" (this is why it got replaced).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 12, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

subx posted:

I bought mine a couple of months ago and have not had a single issue. My card is a Sandisk 32gb Class 10 micro SD, which is supposed to cause all sorts of problems.(Amazon Link where I bought camera, and Amazon link for card)

You are going to hear more about the negatives than the positives, especially since it is a "set it and forget it" type of device.

Just buy whichever one looks better to you. Neither of them is going to be all that well quality-controlled (what do you expect from a $50 1080p video camera?), but 90% of them will be perfectly fine.

Edit - 9/10 being useable would be awful for a company like Sony, but their dashcam would also cost $400.

So far the only issues I have had with mine are that I got a record error because the card flipped out. Formatting the card fixed that issue. In stop and go traffic, the voltage on my cig lighter must drop low enough to make the camera shut off. This would be solved by hard wiring it, but I'm trading the car in soonish and can't be bothered. And the camera likes to fall off the mount if I take a hard right turn. This can be solved by ordering the rear view mount. The one good thing about the g1w is that it has the lcd display so if you ever need to show the video on the spot, like say when someone flips their truck and it lands on your hood, to the cops, it's right there without any effort.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I caught a minor fender bender on video :woop:

I didnt bother to save it because it wasnt me and it was a rear end impact so there was really no reason to put myself out by supplying video for something as cut and dry.

I also found that my suspension is firm enough that even on the least sensitive setting my G-sensor still triggers. Or maybe the lovely russian-english means high is low? who knows.

I also compared my footage to you guys and your cameras and holy poo poo is mine bad. can barely read number plates further than a few feet away from the car in day light. it almost makes a good case to use an old gopro or cough up for a blackvue.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Yeah, my G1W video is pretty decent, but it's a little bit grainy. When I can afford it, I'm going to purchase a Mobius and turn the G1W into a rear camera. I still haven't figured out where I will mount the camera though because I have no tint on my car windows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

I also found that my suspension is firm enough that even on the least sensitive setting my G-sensor still triggers. Or maybe the lovely russian-english means high is low? who knows.

I turned off the g-sensor on mine. Too many potholes around here has it going off constantly.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Not mine. From a local news story in San Diego.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/may/12/road-rage-truck-car-san-diego-interstate-8/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-iOeLGSNvQ

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Goddamn I hope they get that truck driver on attempted murder.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Eh, that looks more like a failed, poorly timed attempt to cut off than something intentional.
Not that that makes it ok.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

Eh, that looks more like a failed, poorly timed attempt to cut off than something intentional.

That hard of a swerve at that kind of speed, especially in a truck, would have been drat near impossible for a seasoned stunt driver to pull out of without losing control. The truck was already at a nearly 45 degree angle to the car when they hit; there's no way they could have corrected that without going at least onto the shoulder. My backseat math driver says the truck would have either rolled or fishtailed wildly (likely hitting other poo poo) even without the impact.

The ultimate karma was the truck rolling though.

8ender posted:

Goddamn I hope they get that truck driver on attempted murder.

From the article:

California Highway Patrol posted:

... if it is determined through our investigation that there was an intentional act to harm another person, this incident would not be treated as a collision and separate charges would follow. The potential charges could range from attempted murder to assault with a deadly weapon depending on the circumstances.

And uh, the video kind of shows it was intentional. :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

I also compared my footage to you guys and your cameras and holy poo poo is mine bad. can barely read number plates further than a few feet away from the car in day light. it almost makes a good case to use an old gopro or cough up for a blackvue.

BlackVue cameras are expensive, but that doesn't mean they're the best you can get.

If you troll around http://dashcamtalk.com/ a bit and read the reviews etc., there are better options for less, like for instance the Powerucc Panorama II.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's even a Garmin unit out now but the reviews on Amazon don't sound stellar. Sounds like it has some of the same problems as the Chinese units.
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dash-Standalone-Driving-Recorder/dp/B00HFMN46S
My Panorama II has been good so far though, as noted. I need to make some videos but am kinda lazy. It is hard to find what you want when there are dozens of files. I always forget to push the button that makes it save to a separate folder.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey are there any video players out there that will show a thumbnail of the video as you hover the mouse over the time slider, like youtube does?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

That hard of a swerve at that kind of speed, especially in a truck, would have been drat near impossible for a seasoned stunt driver to pull out of without losing control. The truck was already at a nearly 45 degree angle to the car when they hit; there's no way they could have corrected that without going at least onto the shoulder. My backseat math driver says the truck would have either rolled or fishtailed wildly (likely hitting other poo poo) even without the impact.

The ultimate karma was the truck rolling though.

From the article:

And uh, the video kind of shows it was intentional. :haw:

I wouldn't say it was intentional. The article also says "Witnesses say the truck driver flipped off the Jetta driver with both hands just before the vehicles made contact, according to a 10 News report." The idiot lost control of her truck because she took both hands off the wheel at highway speed. She's still completely at fault, and should probably lose her license.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Saw this posted on facebook from someone's dashcam and thought of this thread.

Not public so no point linking the video, but the screengrab tells the story. Parents: before displaying your cornering skillz, remember to buckle your kid into the booster seat; also maybe close the loving doors.

:aaaaa:

The kid gets up and walks away, never fear PI posters.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Murphys Law posted:

The idiot lost control of her truck because she took both hands off the wheel at highway speed. She's still completely at fault, and should probably lose her license.

Unless the alignment was completely hosed most trucks don't just dive into a hard right like that when you take your hands off the wheel.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I wonder how long before someone like Garmin or TomTom makes a unit that is a windshield mounted GPS unit that also has a camera built in. That would be super sweet.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The problem with that is the best location for a dashcam is usually up high where it has a better view and the best location for a GPS is down lower so you can press the touchscreen without reaching up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

I wonder how long before someone like Garmin or TomTom makes a unit that is a windshield mounted GPS unit that also has a camera built in. That would be super sweet.

If Garmin made it, it would probably stop recording just before an accident.

Seriously: I can crash my Garmin Satnav just by shouting at it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I posted a link to Garmin's dashcam above :P

I just checked the dashcamtalk forum and it turns out there's a firmware out for my panorama 2 that lets you set the bitrate as high as 21mb/s!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

8ender posted:

Unless the alignment was completely hosed most trucks don't just dive into a hard right like that when you take your hands off the wheel.

Even with completely hosed alignment, you don't see that happen. If the alignment was truly that bad, it would have been pretty much impossible to keep in a straight line before adding a side of road rage.

I've driven some cars with completely hosed suspension - if it was hosed bad enough to pull like that when you let go, it was a deathtrap anywhere above about 3 mph.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here's an upload of some random stuff from Easter. Powerucc Panorama II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIvAxea_Pg

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The truck lady's name was released and judging from her Facebook she looks like the kind of person who would attempt murder. The neck tattoo of her own name isn't doing her any favors.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Here's my highlights from the last 5 months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U5358PjUro

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I got a G1W a few weeks ago and I haven't seen anything worth saving a video of yet, but here's a screenshot of a cool old dude driving what I think is an old chevy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe
I've been bringing my GoPro along while carpooling in my coworker's car. Caught this yesterday and made a dumb thing with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is24txMCQ58