Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I've seen this one before and it's still funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it's still one of the best pieces of fanart even now

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

[b][/bI decided to watch the anime on Sunday. I just finished binging frantically on the manga last night. I haven't been this obsessed with an anime/manga in forever.

My take on what's going on is that the Titan Trio are from another village beyond the wall, and that the reason that they destroyed Shingashima was because they needed the Coordinate. Eren's dad is a human titan and so is Eren and his mom isn't actually the woman who birthed him, but Eren's dad got over to wall and into Shingashima with baby Eren once he realized what his son would be. He met Eren's mom and they fell in love, blah blah blah. He recognized that Mikasa was a strong, healthy tough chick and tried to make her and Eren be friends so his son could have a bodyguard.

However, the human-titans needed the Coordinate to control the mindless titans and for that, the Coordinate needed to be eaten by a Titan, and that sure wasn't going to happen behind 50 meter walls. They trained Reiner, Bertholdt and Marcel originally for the mission, with Bertholdt as the kicker, Reiner as the juggernaut and Marcel as the runner to bring the giants close to the city. However, when Marcel was killed, they had to bring Annie in to fill in. The plan was to break down Wall Maria and see if one of the giants that they let in ate someone and then became sentient. Since no one did in Shingasima, Reiner opened up Wall Maria and they tried there.

They knew that they would have to break down Wall Rose since the coordinate would be eaten, but before that, they needed to be in Sina so that in case the Coordinate wasn't in Rose either, they could be some of the lucky few in Sina until they finally destroyed Sina too. Hence why they joined the cadets to get into the military police and a place in Sina. Once they were assured a place in the military police and thus Sina, they struck Trost. And then their gamble paid off and Titan!Eren showed up, and thus, possibly the Coordinate. So they didn't break Rose down and helped to seal Trost and keep Eren alive.

Bertholdt and Annie were going to go to the military police and Reiner was going to stay near Eren to keep an eye on him, but after hearing about Eren's dad's basement, Bertholdt decided to join the scouts to get access to the basement, but Annie stuck to the plan and joined the police. Anyway, Annie's plan failed and Bertholdt and Reiner were freaking out a bit about that, until they realized that they had Eren close by and were near the wall and thus, near home.

Ymir knew what they were planning because she'd eaten Marcel and had some of his memories, just bits and pieces. But it was enough to want to keep Christa out of the walls because she knew that the attitudes behind the walls were going to get nasty and that Christa would end up a pawn. Which she has.

The manga now feels darker than it ever has. I kept feeling appalled and feeling like the Titans weren't the scariest ones in the series. Mikasa's giving no fucks about not being a monster, Armin's seeing everything around him and it's destroying him, Levi and Hanje and Erwin are vicious as hell and it's terrifying to see them use the skills that made them so good in the Scouts against actual people.

I hope Jean lives. I think he's a nice balance to the main three. That, and I like him and Armin's interactions.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Eren looks exactly like his mother only he's male. They both have short fuses, and even got the same crazy eyes when they are angry. If anything, it's Grisha's paternity that is in question.

http://www.onemanga.me/wp-content/manga/809/54/Attack_on_Titan_5006.jpg

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think it's a safe bet that the Coordinate ability was taken from the people outside the wall by Eren's father, and that the out of towners were willing to let all the humans within the wall die to get it back.

Looming questions I'm interested in are why wouldn't they just hunt Grisha down? The humans trapped inside the wall are clearly part of something bigger that keeps the peace. The book Historia from which Historia was being read to had a picture of a little girl offering an apple to a titan. So something important is given to something or someone. This offering is probably key to keeping whatever fragile balance exists between all these factions. The coordinate ability was important enough to them that they were going to destroy the wall and potentially upset the peace.

Perhaps Historia is part of a blood line which carriers memories and powers that are important to the fake royal family maintaining a grip on power. The memories of this bloodline are the only true record of what happened before the world was, presumably, swarmed with titans. These people then have their memories manipulated by mind wipe lady. The truth is kept within the fake royal family by means of eating those who unknowingly carry it.

Also curious as to why the shifters got so excited at seeing the ape Titan.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 7, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Well, is Levi pretty much dead at this point? He's got one of those crazy guns pointed at his head...

How depressing does AoT speculation get when it's basically, "who dies next"?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, is Levi pretty much dead at this point? He's got one of those crazy guns pointed at his head...

He wouldn't have had the lead up and dodged the first time if his death was a given. Not even in this series.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He's the author's pet. He obviously is a stylized version of Isayama himself. When or if he dies it's gonna be near the end of the series in a blaze of glory. Edit: And that's not a bad thing. Jackard is right though, they wouldn't have build-up with Kaney if he was just going to die next chapter.

My speculation is Levi is going to bust Eren and Historia out of the coffins if they're even in them, and then get captured. This takes him out of play much like his leg injury and forces the 104th into a desperate survival situation.

My long term speculation for this arc is the build up with Eren hulking out out of desperation to protect his friends, and he will end up making a critical mistake in the process.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 8, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's also the most popular character in the series, which probably holds more weight than whatever perception you have of Isayama being Levi.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orgia Carnaval posted:

He's also the most popular character in the series, which probably holds more weight than whatever perception you have of Isayama being Levi.

The first AoT character popularity poll held last year is a good indicator of just how popular Levi is. And that was before the anime came out - his popularity could only have gone up since the anime.

JosephWongKS posted:

Speaking of Rivaille, seems like he was voted the most popular character in Shingeki no Kyojin's first character poll:

I don't have the pages for the remaining places, but the website where I found this says that the top 10 characters were as follows:

01. Rivaille (3952)
02. Eren (2244)
03. Mikasa (2232)
04. Sasha (818)
05. Christa (664)
06. Annie (452)
07. Hanji (388)
08. Reiner (348)
09. Jean (310)
10. Armin (290)

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2014

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Look at all those people who don't know Hanji is the best character.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Syrant posted:

It's okay, they'll eventually figure it out when everyone else is dead and Hanji is the only one still alive, because she is the awesomest.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Who voted Eren? I guess it's cool that he's like a male damsel in distress, which is pretty progressive and interesting, but there are so many cooler characters. Though it is a popularity contest, not a "That was a neat characterization idea" contest or anything. Though I question a few of the other top people as well. Ymir deserves more points.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
It seems to be the norm (or at least for all the manga popularity polls I've seen) for the main protagonist to be the most (or second or third most) popular.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
And have you seen his Titan abs? Come on!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Syrant posted:

I was going to say

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's not Sasha, that's not Sasha at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Everyone who listed someone other then Sasha, please stop trolling.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lots of names in this thread that aren't Sasha and/or Mikasa

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shadow0 posted:

Who voted Eren? I guess it's cool that he's like a male damsel in distress, which is pretty progressive and interesting, but there are so many cooler characters. Though it is a popularity contest, not a "That was a neat characterization idea" contest or anything. Though I question a few of the other top people as well. Ymir deserves more points.

I bet you don't like Shinji Ikari either.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Goggles dude from the Hanji squad was my favorite. RIP a survey corps legend.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I actually think this might end up with Eren and Levi actually pulling off a significant win and destabilizing the walls if only because the Titans/Shifters are on the march and it actually makes the main conflict harder for the hero.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
Eren is easily my favourite character. I don't need quirks, I just need rage.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Rolled my loving eyes at the original mention of human-fighting 3DMG but I have to admit it's wonderful and I was wrong. It makes me wonder if there's going to be a good deal of human-human fighting coming up; it would be fantastic if Levi and Mikasa turned out to be terrible shots and Sasha had to step up as the lead talent of the group :allears:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow0 posted:

I like Jean and late-Armin best but apparently not many people agree. :(

Jean is an all round decent guy with human self-doubt and a concern for others and Armin went from an intelligent whinny kid into a increasingly disturbing intelligent kid. I loath Eren and Levi comes off as full of himself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I like Eren, he's got a good head on his shoulders. Poor guy just keeps getting kidnapped. :(

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Terper posted:

I like Eren, he's got a good head on his shoulders. Poor guy just keeps getting kidnapped. :(

At least it wasn't his fault this time.

I like Eren, Armin, and Mikasa equally really. They all have great traits. Reiner is also interesting to me because he's a mass murderer, but deep down he really is a genuinely good and just person.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Shadow0 posted:

He's not my favorite or anything (Ymir supremacy), but I don't get why he seems so disliked among some fans. I found him annoying during Trost arc, but the scene where he cried on the wagon after seeing those kids in the Female Titan arc made me change my mind; he's trying to deal with suddenly being given this huge role in a situation way over his head, the fact that the Female Titan arc was pushing the idea of becoming a monster to achieve something important while Eren was gradually showing a more human side than how he was initially presented was interesting to read, for me anyway. He also has some good dynamics with other characters that I wish would get more spotlight, lately he's only really talked with Historia, although they seem to maybe have a nice friendship going on. I think it would be healthy for Historia to talk to someone with a similar burden what with all that she's going through right now.

Speaking of, I hope Historia realizes that she doesn't owe humanity poo poo and blows off all this queen nonsense to go live for herself. The walls are hosed anyway, since Monkey Titan could come back at any moment and the wall titans will probably wake up soon.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

At least it wasn't his fault this time.

I like Eren, Armin, and Mikasa equally really. They all have great traits. Reiner is also interesting to me because he's a mass murderer, but deep down he really is a genuinely good and just person.

Yeah, Reiner's really great, all of the shifters are good imo, but especially Ymir and Reiner. Bertolt is the only one I'm on the fence about since I feel like at this point we haven't been given enough of him to get a good grasp on his character but hopefully he'll get development in the future. Crossing my fingers for them to not get eaten off-panel.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 9, 2014

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reiner is also interesting to me because he's a mass murderer, but deep down he really is a genuinely good and just person.

I'm holding my final judgement on Reiner until we know what caused (forced?) them to do what they did. It's going to take one hell of a good motive to "excuse" killing a quarter of a million people, even if it's tearing him up now.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

I'm holding my final judgement on Reiner until we know what caused (forced?) them to do what they did. It's going to take one hell of a good motive to "excuse" killing a quarter of a million people, even if it's tearing him up now.

His society probably indoctrinates people from a young age that the people living inside the walls are absolute evil, and beyond consideration. It's clear from each of the infiltrator's own discussions on the subject that they were each prepared to be hated, but not to be loved. Reiner even said the infiltrators had no real idea what they were doing until it was in hindsight. They were children, so honestly I can excuse their lack of judgement for the attack on Shiganshina. They all probably had a moment where the reality hit them, I like to think Annie apologizing to Mina's corpse was her moment of realization.

The thing I like about Eren besides his super violent tendencies is the fact he's the idea of this savior figure for mankind, but unlike the typical western notion that a savior dies for everyone else, it's the reality- everyone else is expendable. They have to be willing to die to keep the savior alive or there is no hope. Even at this point his endless well of determination is wavering because of that fact.

Another nice irony to his character is Eren wants to explore the world and have the freedom to do whatever he wants, but his superpower ironically takes away the choices and freedom of others.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

What the hell did Gorilla Monsoon Titan eat?

The biggest banana in the world.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Say Nothing posted:

What the hell did Gorilla Monsoon Titan eat?

Legendary Zoan Devil Fruit: Giant Ape Subtype.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The official translation is up, and it seems pretty identical to the earlier leak. But Kenny The Ripper? That's not really a fear-inspiring name.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012
Isayama was never a good or even decent artist, but is the art actually getting worse now? Practically every face in this chapter looks wonky to me. I don't know, maybe it's just that I've been reading a lot of Berserk since the last chapter, the comparison does AoT no favors.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Squidster posted:

The official translation is up, and it seems pretty identical to the earlier leak. But Kenny The Ripper? That's not really a fear-inspiring name.
I knew all those years in South Park would finally break him. Just not like this.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

The biggest banana in the world.

Titan Donkey Kong's Apotheosis.

El-Bonko posted:

Isayama was never a good or even decent artist, but is the art actually getting worse now? Practically every face in this chapter looks wonky to me. I don't know, maybe it's just that I've been reading a lot of Berserk since the last chapter, the comparison does AoT no favors.

I don't think so. Isayama's not a great artist, but what he's great at doing is art economy. Since we've come to know the characters intimately pages like

http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/51/5/

http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/54/39/

Are easy to read. You could take the speech bubbles away, be a chapter behind, and know exactly what every character is thinking.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Am I the only one with the theory that this all takes place in the past, and the titan battles will become the inspiration for different mythologies in the future?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

terrordactle posted:

Am I the only one with the theory that this all takes place in the past, and the titan battles will become the inspiration for different mythologies in the future?

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

terrordactle posted:

Wasn't it explicitly stated somewhere that this takes place 2000 years in the future? Or did I imagine that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Well, the similarities between this and battlestar are already abundant and precise, may as well go whole hog on it.