Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

dogstile posted:

"No doctor! You need to staple the arm to my stump, not hit me repeatedly with my arm!"

quote:

Felix Wheeler [145.9] says, "SOMEONE TOOK MY LEG AND HIT ME WIHT IT"
Felix Wheeler [145.9] says, "MY LEGS GONE"
Newton International Overlord [145.9] says, "Well, I'm sorry that Newton International didn't feel the need to give their operatives surgury lessons."

Anyway, re: playing medic while you don't know how to do any doctoring: it's not the worst way to learn. However, I found that, while starting to learn the medical system in SS13, it was far less stressful to just be a staff assistant with a basic medkit. 'Course, that didn't prepare me for the first time I ever joined up as a doctor, only to have to attach someone's arm, which I had never done before. Results were predictable.

I'm also gunna pimp out mentorhelp here and say that most of the mentors probably can answer whatever questions you have regarding the medical system while starting out. If you roll doctor and dunno what to do, and can't get an answer from anyone in-game, try asking in mentorhelp.

Also remember to always ask the mentors why you are dead and also if we can revive you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love new docs. They're so excited to learn new things. I shambled up to clueless doc with a missing arm and leg, showed him how to drag me to a table (in robotics, because why not) and how not to staple my chest.

Arm THUNK leg THUNK, congrats, you're now a licensed surgeon!

Wow, really? Cool!

Yeah, now grab that guy in the hall and let's get down to brain surgery!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 6, 2014

nepereta
Aug 9, 2013
We were chewing the fat about Hartlepool today at work ( one of the guys at work is from there)

how about we have Hartlepool based event? check this link to see what I mean various Brits here probably know all about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

It will basically be monkey based event where monkeys possibly from the syndicate end up 'shipwrecked' on SS13. Some of the ignorant dwellers of SS13 mistake the monkeys for syndicate members ( and in fact some of them actually are! ) and perhaps 1 or 2 of the monkeys are changelings in lesser form.

The crew then have to decide what to do with the monkeys perhaps involving a trial, lawyers and have conflicting 'traitor' objectives regarding said monkeys in addition the monkeys have objectives too!

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Jobs you should definitely avoid starting out as are security and doctor. Security is difficult and tends to be a big red target, and people injured enough to need an actual doctor tend to need treatment FAST and have very little patience for slow doctors.

Only way to learn is to do it! If you lose a patient or 5, it happens. Just drag em to genetics/robotics/nearest changeling and it'll be fine.

Zuggeh
Sep 14, 2012

Fucking Pterodactyls.

nepereta posted:

The crew then have to decide what to do with the monkeys perhaps involving a trial, lawyers and have conflicting 'traitor' objectives regarding said monkeys in addition the monkeys have objectives too!

I feel like the chef would be pretty robust during a round like that. Sounds awesome.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I miss stories about monkey-type rounds, especially the ones where all the monkeys on the station suddenly had hyper-violent behavior and could throw huge piles of stuff at people in seconds, killing them instantly.

nepereta
Aug 9, 2013
IRONY:

So yesterday I had a traitor round whereby I needed 5 lasers and a bunch of cash ,hmm I think lets do a zero casualty run for shits and giggles. On a previous traitor round I've been into rampaging with some nasty sonic + pfc flamethrower + sarin spray bottle so I fancied something less hurtful, whilst its hilarious watching deaf/dumb people vomitting all over the place: it takes soo much prep!!.

So after getting a few bits and pieces I head to the HoP office get a job change to QM and then I proceed to the QM. I notice the current QM is dressed like a reject from YMCA and is selling to the crew some high power artifact weapon hes managed to copy in the ruckingur.

I think 'hmm he doesn't give two shits about anything' so I promptly buy a weapons crate and load it onto the pod. I was planning on saying the captain wants it delivered to the martian shuttle in the roid belt. If he asked! However: The reject from YMCA promptly crits me with his wonderful artifact gun. I just clamber into the pod saying to the now arrived HoS that the dude has pretty much killed me and I am not leaving the pod espcially whilst hes still lurking with that lethal weapon. Instead of dealing with the trigger happy arms dealer he demands I leave the pod.

Unfortunately due to lag my 'Ship' tab hasn't loaded up and I dropped my backpack (containing an emag in a box) in the cargo pod bay. I eventually manage to get to mining and stabilize my heart condition after a dozen blackouts ( thank god for epinephrine injectors). I switch my clothes and identity and pod and return fortunately the space wind has pushed my pack out of the cargo bay ( even at his stage I was planning on taking my backpack stealthly as possible by carefully observing the cargo pod bay using my orange tinted glasses) and I manage to copy the lasers in the new Tech lab eventually to be the only guy to escape on the shuttle. (via syndie pipebomb ( to destroy the shuttle windows ) and the emag).

The irony here is:

The QM was selling weapons about twice as powerful as a laser gun ( it critted me from full health in one shot) and yet found it an affront to be dragging a locked laser crate to a pod. If that's not hypocritical metagaming shittyness I don't know what is and found it ok to shoot first before asking any questions.

'YOU CAN'T CARRY AROUND A LOCKED CRATE OF WEAPONS OF HALF THE POWER OF THE ONE IN MY HAND THAT I AM SELLING THE GENERAL PUBLIC AS A NON-ANTAG!!'

nepereta fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 7, 2014

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
If he wasn't a traitor, and shot you before even asking a question about it, WHILE arming the crew, it was probably at least worth adminhelping in case the person has a history of lovely behavior, though I can't say I'm otherwise surprised. Giving the crew guns usually turns out the same way every time, which has made it hilarious in a couple of rounds in the distant past where traitors have started 'An Armed Station Is a POLITE Station' initiatives. At least in rounds like that, it's understandable why half the crew is dead to friendly fire and Security has turned into a roving VIP protection service tasing every greyshirt in the halls. Lethally shooting first and asking questions later is a poo poo strategy for non-antagonists regardless.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 7, 2014

nepereta
Aug 9, 2013
It made things interesting for me! Its closest self recovery I've had so far and the irony of it all is rather amusing. I assume if he didn't know Laser guns were a traitor objective he would do nothing. He'd probably say why do you need that NT crap I've got a better gun! It was because he thought he could 'legitimately' kill me for free so he got his gun off that and its about the 3rd time I've had a solo shuttle ride home so it all ended extremely well.

In future I might try asking someone in sec if they need a gun privately ordering weapon crates and loading them on to pods to deliver to the sec dude. Just to see what people do! Another ironic note was despite handling 7 Laser guns I didn't fire a single shot the whole round.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There's no style in delivering a bunch of emptied laser guns to your dark Syndicate masters. Packing them off factory-fresh is the best way to go about it.

Also I applaud you for remaining non-violent even after some dickhole shot you. A lot of traitors would just go "Welp, if he's going to rampage I'll show him what a real rampage is." Which is fine, but winning without harming anyone rubs it in their face even harder.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

If he wasn't a traitor, and shot you before even asking a question about it, WHILE arming the crew, it was probably at least worth adminhelping in case the person has a history of lovely behavior, though I can't say I'm otherwise surprised. Giving the crew guns usually turns out the same way every time, which has made it hilarious in a couple of rounds in the distant past where traitors have started 'An Armed Station Is a POLITE Station' initiatives. At least in rounds like that, it's understandable why half the crew is dead to friendly fire and Security has turned into a roving VIP protection service tasing every greyshirt in the halls. Lethally shooting first and asking questions later is a poo poo strategy for non-antagonists regardless.

It's hilarious occasionally, sure. But someone was handing out artifact guns in at least three separate rounds yesterday, and in at least two of them a traitor managed to get their hands on a gun capable of completely killing people in just one shot, which just led to them roaming around the station and opening fire every time they saw less than four people in a room.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Yay! Wiz round for the first time in a while, only my second with the new spell system! Other wizbro mentions he's never played wiz on our server, I give him a bit of advice, he eats an every flavor bean off the floor before I can stop him after I ask to borrow a chem PDA and get one. Admin spawns a bunch of every flavors while I'm scanning, due to the people on the radio telling that I asked for the PDA. I've taken teleport, spell shield, golem and knock.

Before I can find anything decent he's already teleported back in crit with hyperglycemic shock and injured to hell and back. Ten minutes and two trips to the medbay later, he's going to live. Okay. Get over to the kitchen and use the extractor on grave dust, initro, shark DNA and super hairgrowium. Get back to the wiz shuttle, set up two beakers with hair grow/shark DNA and one with grave dust. Pop a grave dust one in genetics, ended up escaping to the shuttle then popping back over. I'm in surgery, people around so I pop the shark DNA/super hairgrowium golem, the detective empties his pistol into me before I can get spell shield up with amazing accuracy, I'm in crit before I can get away.

Spent the remainder just trying to get a medkit, couldn't pull it off and we both died in medbay. I guess the other guy was shooting fireballs and stuff, so good game I guess? I dunno, I'm never that zealous as a detective unless poo poo is nuts and not gonna be fixed without my intervention.

I really wanted to know what shark DNA golems do.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Bee Golems are my absolute favorite thing now as a wizard. I need to do that again.

nepereta
Aug 9, 2013
I find golem wizarding can be straight forward in conjunction with a nassa space suit ( the one that fits under the robes) and a pod and a shed tonne of beakers filled with fun. To do this teleport to one of the pod bays. The secure bay ,followed by the botany bay are probably the least frequented. Then warp a pod to the faint where you can grab a load of goodies, chem beakers and then reign havoc on the station. I would drive my pod outside of a room but out of sight. Then teleport into the room drop the golem maybe pop off a magic missle and then phase back to the pod. Having the opportunity to phase back out into space is very flexible. Using the pod to warp from one side of the station to the other quickly is also useful you can hit and run very effectively like this and let the golems do the heavy lifting for you. I would try to avoid lettiing crew make the connection between yourself and the pod. Keep it out of sight when you do your teleportation or return. Grabbing thermals/ orange tinted glasses will of course greatly aid situational awareness.

nepereta fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 7, 2014

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
Not super relevant to anything but the immediately last post: I did NOT realise that the junk on the derelict station was so loving great.

I thought it was junk!

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

LeadRobot posted:

Not super relevant to anything but the immediately last post: I did NOT realise that the junk on the derelict station was so loving great.

I thought it was junk!

As far as I can tell SS13 follows the logic that the more old and abandoned something is, the more powerful. It's not just the ancient eldritch artifacts, either. The stuff in the apparently decades abandoned derelicts is generally better than the shiny and new stuff on the station. Maybe Nanotrasen is just in the middle of really severe cutbacks. Either that or the SS13 universe follows the opposite of Moore's Law, so that all technology gets bulkier and shittier with time.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Penultimatum posted:

As far as I can tell SS13 follows the logic that the more old and abandoned something is, the more powerful. It's not just the ancient eldritch artifacts, either. The stuff in the apparently decades abandoned derelicts is generally better than the shiny and new stuff on the station. Maybe Nanotrasen is just in the middle of really severe cutbacks. Either that or the SS13 universe follows the opposite of Moore's Law, so that all technology gets bulkier and shittier with time.

I see it like how there's a huge difference in quality of goods between now and, say, 1980. Back then you had poo poo that lasted forever. Today, it's all about how quickly can you unplug the old busted P.O.S. and toss in the new hotness that'll last for like a year and then need to be replaced.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In SS13 you just pray that it/you will last long enough to replace it with the new hotness.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You guys blow up pretty much every 90 minutes, why would the company spend money buying you things designed to last more than two weeks?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the entirety of Space Station 13 'canonically' a derelict itself, which we are just sorta bringing online long enough to salvage a bit of research before it falls apart?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Black Pants posted:

Isn't the entirety of Space Station 13 'canonically' a derelict itself, which we are just sorta bringing online long enough to salvage a bit of research before it falls apart?

And then the wizards show up. :gibs:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well you see according to this timeline Ganondorf brought the station out of the Dark World...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Oh, before I forget, had a wizard role yesterday.

My first act is to 'port into chemistry, freeze/fireball a nerd and then suddenly start losing health. I decided I must have gone into some bad stuff or something, so I 'port back home.

Trembling, vomiting, cardiac arrest.

My first action was to teleport directly into the middle of sarin smoke

The other wizard did pretty well. RIP Blue Grease.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

My first act is to 'port into chemistry, freeze/fireball a nerd and then suddenly start losing health. I decided I must have gone into some bad stuff or something, so I 'port back home.

On one hand, unless this was a mixed round, that chemist was probably up to some lovely Bad News and would have probably ruined someone's round if he had half a chance. On the other hand, he ended up dying a hero because he took out one of the antagonists (albeit unwittingly) and caused a pretty funny story. Sorry about that lovely luck though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's happening. SS13 is bleeding into the real world.

(I am seriously tempted to try this horrible loving thing if and when it becomes available here)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's happening. SS13 is bleeding into the real world.

(I am seriously tempted to try this horrible loving thing if and when it becomes available here)

Make them deep fry it first.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Guys, the station is a receptacle for the creation of beff, at the end of each round, its scraped clean of organic matter and whatever's left is turned into beff. This also explains why you get so many points for ultra clean station, you do all the work for Centcom.

nepereta
Aug 9, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

This is why I suggest derelicts first you could knock up calomel emergency tablet or pentectic (which is awesome vs nearly all toxins) if you are willing to spend a little more time nerding.

Using a watering can:

carbon;hydrogen -> Add fuel.
nitrogen;hydrogen * 3
oxygen * 2 -> Cook ( you need a gasmask because this makes 20 units of cyanide)
Oxygen;Ethanol;Silver -> Cook
nitrogen;hydrogen * 3 (get rid of 7 units of ammonia)
chlorine;sodium * 2 -> top off with welding fuel

make 5 unit tablets of it. In theory I think you could use these to pregame all manner of bad poo poo.

If you are in chemistry in theory you can make a small calomel pill mercury;chlorine -> cook ->tablet (5 units are enough)

nepereta fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 8, 2014

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Audio logs really don't get enough use. I was a part of a failed expedition team, cloaked captain came in threw down some portals from his hand-tele. This being an adventurous party, everyone but me jumped in. I had just came back out of an unexplained perm-portal, generated by the telescience computer. It went to space but the man at the computer swears he didn't touch anything. After staring at the newly placed portals now in the middle of the room, I get shot a couple times and my suspicions prove true- there was someone else in the room with us! The newly visible captain fumbles with me though, trying to throw me into the portal, but it disappears before he can do it. He shrugs and tells me I can do back on my way and leaves.

I thought the portal would just lead to some place in space or in the engine or something, but it was so much better than that.

Much later I end up in the captain's room, with my new all-access ID I got from the HoP. I open the captain's locker, hoping he left his gun or something useful inside.
Instead out bursts a monkey in a clown suit with an esword, and about 5 dead bodies. Three of which I recognize from my expedition party. The monkey honks and runs away, so all I am left with is.. An audio log. I wonder what happened?

quote:

Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "day one"
Derrick Sholl [Log] "HONK"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "i seem to be stuck in a loving crate"
Declan Altmann [Log] "HELP"
Declan Altmann [Log] "I'll give 400 credits if someone can get us out of here!"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "i am making this recording for whoever finds this"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "do you idiots not realize"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "that there is a signal jammer"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "RIGHT THERE"
Skater Dad [Log] "HOW AM I EXPECTED TO KNOW THAT"
Skater Dad [Log] "I AM BUT A SIMPLE SKATING FATHER"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "using your eyes"
Skater Dad [Log] "Oh, I see it."
Declan Altmann [Log] "I know there is a signal jammer."
Skater Dad [Log] "nice"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "now im making alog"
Declan Altmann [Log] "This is really squished."
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "and i dropped the thing"
Declan Altmann [Log] "Hey guys, this is where I meant to take you. The closet of adventurer!"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "gently caress"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "off"
Skater Dad [Log] "THIS IS A REALLY lovely ADVENTURE."
Declan Altmann [Log] "You can use your imagination, and imagine any adventure you want!"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "oh, i can do that!"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "i am imaginiiiing"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "punching declan in the face"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "OR SHOOTING MYSELF"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "WITH MY GUN"
Declan Altmann [Log] "It's just a joke, I didn't do this."
Skater Dad [Log] "i am imaging a giant lizard that can transform into a dog at will"
Skater Dad [Log] "... nice"
Skater Dad [Log] "good stuff"
Declan Altmann [Log] "3 grown men and a monkey enter a closet."
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "4"
Declan Altmann [Log] "4 it is."
Declan Altmann [Log] "Someone should just shoot me right now."
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "i would"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "but i cant aim inside here"
Skater Dad [Log] "THE HONKS"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "skater"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "do you have the honker"
Derrick Sholl [Log] "honk"
Skater Dad [Log] "it's the monkey"
Declan Altmann [Log] "No, a loving monkey does."
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "gently caress"
Declan Altmann [Log] "gently caress the monkey, man."
Derrick Sholl [Log] "JONK"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "you know what i want"
Derrick Sholl [Log] "NOOO"
Derrick Sholl [Log] "OH GOD NO"
Reginald Hempmaster III [Log] "monkey burgers"
Skater Dad [Log] "me too"
Declan Altmann [Log] "You know what I want?"
Declan Altmann [Log] "If we can get monkey burgers in this closet"
Declan Altmann [Log] "I want out of this loving closet."
Francis Brooks [Log] "I knew I should have killed the captain"
Francis Brooks [Log] "well"
Devin Jowers says, "end of log"
Devin Jowers salutes.
Devin Jowers says, "You will all be remembered"

Audio log sadly ran out of space. Still, once I realized what was going on, I was really impressed by what the captain had did. Oh, and also the clown monkey was apparently been honking. Constantly. :v:

Anyway, I love audio logs and I hope more people use them, especially when they reveal how a large group of people died. It's like your standard sci-fi game audio log, but way way better. Also a big thank you to the captain traitor who decided to be creative and fun, you didn't have to be, but then you'd never have had something like this happen.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Huh, you can teleport into closed lockers? Interesting.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Huh, you can teleport into closed lockers? Interesting.

A pretty old gimmick was to have people chase you into the teleporter, weld the locker quickly and have half the crew stuck in a locker.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

0lives posted:

Audio logs really don't get enough use. I was a part of a failed expedition team, cloaked captain came in threw down some portals from his hand-tele. This being an adventurous party, everyone but me jumped in. I had just came back out of an unexplained perm-portal, generated by the telescience computer. It went to space but the man at the computer swears he didn't touch anything. After staring at the newly placed portals now in the middle of the room, I get shot a couple times and my suspicions prove true- there was someone else in the room with us! The newly visible captain fumbles with me though, trying to throw me into the portal, but it disappears before he can do it. He shrugs and tells me I can do back on my way and leaves.

I thought the portal would just lead to some place in space or in the engine or something, but it was so much better than that.

Much later I end up in the captain's room, with my new all-access ID I got from the HoP. I open the captain's locker, hoping he left his gun or something useful inside.
Instead out bursts a monkey in a clown suit with an esword, and about 5 dead bodies. Three of which I recognize from my expedition party. The monkey honks and runs away, so all I am left with is.. An audio log. I wonder what happened?

Audio log sadly ran out of space. Still, once I realized what was going on, I was really impressed by what the captain had did. Oh, and also the clown monkey was apparently been honking. Constantly. :v:

Anyway, I love audio logs and I hope more people use them, especially when they reveal how a large group of people died. It's like your standard sci-fi game audio log, but way way better. Also a big thank you to the captain traitor who decided to be creative and fun, you didn't have to be, but then you'd never have had something like this happen.

The funny part was everyone but me died and someone pulled me out.

And then I got to the shuttle and the airlock was closed until right as the shuttle pulled out, so I ended up jumping into space.

And then my next session was as SadMarvin the AI! I hope my newness didn't gently caress anything up.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Thoroughly weird things happened in a recent round. I was in North Hydroponics running synthmeat, wheat, tomato and an attempt at splicing weed with wheat to make weed bread, while another guy in South was running weed, weed, weed and more weed. I saw him run up to get a paper and make himself a blunt and a moment later I hear the gib sound. Uh-oh, I think antag, so I run over... And find that apparently smoking weed has caused his flesh to fly off all over the garden, leaving him as a still-bloody "Tokebot" cyborg. He appeared to be just wandering around confused, though.

Also, is noob-spoofing acceptable? My previous botanist round someone asked if I could hack the vendor for them, I offered to show them how, they accepted and then ran me through with a cyalume saber once I had unscrewed the control panel.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Pretty sure it's acceptable, sure, but if you want to be classy you should make sure you promise that in no way are you planning to kill them while they are distracted, and if you don't mind I'm just going to stand right next to you.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Assume someone is not dangerous at your own risk. Plus even experienced players don't always know how to do things. They may genuinely want to know. They may also genuinely want to stab you. These two desires may not necessarily conflict.

But even if he was faking it, that's entirely acceptable. Always be wary.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

0lives posted:

Pretty sure it's acceptable, sure, but if you want to be classy you should make sure you promise that in no way are you planning to kill them while they are distracted, and if you don't mind I'm just going to stand right next to you.

The flipside of the coin's acceptable too. On more than one occasion I've visited Engineering as a friendly (traitor) Captain to find people using the furnaces. I kindly explain they'd do better with the combustion chamber, and that playing it safe is not something an Engineer worth his salt should do, and then insert them into said furnaces.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I've always found treason to be the most satisfying if you chat the victim up a bit and get to know them first before betraying them.
Extra points if you manage to make it look like a horribly overblown misunderstanding.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I've always found treason to be the most satisfying if you chat the victim up a bit and get to know them first before betraying them.
Extra points if you manage to make it look like a horribly overblown misunderstanding.

One of my favorite rounds was as a Geneticist where I asked for a volunteer on the radio and got a 'new player' Staff Assistant who let me experiment on him for something like 25 minutes. We chatted amicably, worked diligently, etc. I finally managed to get Hulk isolated and said he could take off if he wanted or stick around and see if I could make him psychic too. He responded with "no thanks" and a cyalume saber to the face.

After I died he said it had been a pleasure working with me, then casually smashed his way out through the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I like it when people do this, because my reaction to suspicious people is usually to aggressively trust them irrespective of all other factors. In fact, if someone asks me to do something that requires me to stand right next to them and divert my attention, I'll often make a joke like, "hmm yes that sounds legitimate. I cannot see any possible way this could result in my murder. It would be a wise a responsible decision to do what you are suggesting," and then immediately do it. People seem to appreciate that kind of trust, and if they end up murdering me afterwards (which is surprisingly uncommon in my experience), they almost always apologize. Sometimes I get mindslaved instead of stabbed :buddy:

Also, I'm sad that the server crashed immediately after I got that "you are definitely not a Changeling, no sir, not a Changeling at all. Get up to as much mischief as possible without removing anyone from the round" goofy custom objective. I was going to abduct lovely Bill and try to endlessly clone and eat him (possibly by stable-mutating monkeyhumans into him), snag the hot dog cart, and found Bill's Grill, a roving BBQ stand serving traditional Perfectly Normal Human cuisine like Billhusk burgers, Billhusk dogs, and Billhusk steak, all prepared fresh by lovely Bill himself. You even get to pick a Bill and watch him drain it for you!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 8, 2014

• Locked thread