Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellsEmbrace
Jul 14, 2004

Dairy Power posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Our Darker Purpose? I've been thinking about picking it up, but can't decide whether or not to pull the trigger.

Didn't even know about the patch and just started playing this again with a friend the other day. Still haven't really gotten around to messing with the artifacts since I lost my save data and have been re-unlocking everything.

I gotta say that the game is way more fun if you have someone to coop with, though. Having to be in single player to unlock the Miner is so drat annoying. Dude keeps refusing to spawn and I don't really feel like playing it by myself.

I bought it recently and I enjoy it. It's definitely very difficult though. It clearly takes a lot of "inspiration" from Binding of Isaac, so if you like that it's very much in the same style. The hit detection can be rather tricky and some of the bosses are really challenging. It has some cool concepts though, like persistent "lessons" that you can unlock and carry over through multiple playthroughs. It also seems to be updated on a fairly regular basis to add a little more content and balance things. Overall, I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

MeramJert posted:

So is this actually a real game implemented in excel?

Currently no. It's a somewhat functional concept for a game that's slowly being implemented in Excel. But it's got working fog-of-war and inventory using so hey neato! Really the Arena.xlsm guy inspired it by making a game already, and I didn't like it so I wanted to see if better things could be done with it.

Realistically, it's about as implemented as Star Commander, but if/when it gets done I'll either make a thread about it . . . or just completely distance myself from the mediocre game-play of an otherwise perfectly sound spreadsheet.

The real goal is to comment every line of code and release it freely and unprotected as an Excel VBA reference/walkthrough, so if it turns out to be fun to play then, hey, bonus.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Currently no. It's a somewhat functional concept for a game that's slowly being implemented in Excel. But it's got working fog-of-war and inventory using so hey neato! Really the Arena.xlsm guy inspired it by making a game already, and I didn't like it so I wanted to see if better things could be done with it.

Realistically, it's about as implemented as Star Commander, but if/when it gets done I'll either make a thread about it . . . or just completely distance myself from the mediocre game-play of an otherwise perfectly sound spreadsheet.

The real goal is to comment every line of code and release it freely and unprotected as an Excel VBA reference/walkthrough, so if it turns out to be fun to play then, hey, bonus.

Roguelike '14 - The mediocre game-play of an otherwise perfectly sound spreadsheet.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

bisonbison posted:

Roguelike '14 - The mediocre game-play of an otherwise perfectly sound spreadsheet.

Now, now, we can't make that the title, we'll have confused EVE players wandering in all the time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Steam Marines is on sale at humble bundle. I loved XCOM, I enjoy Roguelikes so I'm keen, is it a bad game?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Steam Marines has been shaping up for a long time now and the dev is pretty aggressive when it comes to fixing things and making it all that much better---I should surely think you've got at least good odds throwing down on it for this bundle deal.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Rogue's tale is on indieroyale in case you've wanted to try it. It's still not super cheap but comes with a bunch of shovelware you'll probably never play!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's still not super cheap

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Klaus Kinski posted:

Rogue's tale is on indieroyale in case you've wanted to try it. It's still not super cheap but comes with a bunch of shovelware you'll probably never play!

Continue etc. is actually supposed to be a solid if weird adventure title, and Cognition IS solid, no weirdness involved. Kinda odd they're giving ep. 3 of 4 only though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Also, a gentle reminder for all Roguelike/X-COM crossover folks that this is a thing that still exists, albeit presently only something of cruise control while tangential stuff (An awesome commercial attempt at a Sci-Fi Robot Roguelike called Cogmind) is being steadily done that will ultimately benefit it again down the line---well worth delving into as there's still total conversions and such afoot amongst the fledgling community:

http://xcomrl.blogspot.com/p/files.html

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

I'm in euroland where it was a solid 50% off when it launched :colbert:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'm in euroland where it was a solid 50% off when it launched :colbert:

I stand courrected.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Desktop dungeons is 50% off on steam today if anyone missed it. I find it kind of hard to play, it basically makes me want to write a program to play it for me instead, but a lot of people liked it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

Desktop dungeons is 50% off on steam today if anyone missed it. I find it kind of hard to play, it basically makes me want to write a program to play it for me instead, but a lot of people liked it.

Also Isaac+Expansion is like $1.50 though if you still don't own that at this point maybe you should just wait for the remake to be finished.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Also Isaac+Expansion is like $1.50 though if you still don't own that at this point maybe you should just wait for the remake to be finished.

I probably have several Steam keys lying around somewhere from all the bundles it's been in.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

There's the beginnings of a roguelike gathering at PAX prime, if anyone is heading out that way this summer. Would be pretty cool to talk to other RL players, devs, and hobbyists face to face, though I'm not sure if a trip out there is in the budget this year. http://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/25mryw/any_roguelike_fansdevelopers_heading_to_pax_prime/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I think if you own Binding of Isaac right now then you'll get a discount on the remake, if I remember correctly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not sure I'd want to meet other Roguelike players. I guess some of us seem affable enough but there are some real dickheads too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to meet other Roguelike players. I guess some of us seem affable enough but there are some real dickheads too.

Isn't that true of any fanbase of anything ever though?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dongsturm posted:

Somebody upthread posted a good summary, the new features add more micro without increasing the fun for an encounter. E.g. the hacking module looks great until I realised I have to use it every single time.

Or maybe that's just my gripe about it.

I want to like FTL since it's pretty unique, but there just isn't a whole lot of depth to it and success comes down to chance. Basically, do you pick up any of the really strong items in the first two-three sectors? The rebel fleet mechanic keeps pushing you forward, so you either get lucky or you run into the difficulty curve.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
For easy and normal, while there is a chance you'll come across something that can kill you before you can run away, it's not that common. If you're making good use of scrap and choosing your battles it's really not very luck-based. It's possible you'll never find a decent weapon, but with the expanded shops it's not as common as it used to be. Can't speak for hard mode as I've not spent any time with it. Normal is enough of a challenge for me.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you eat a roguelike players corpse your Luck stat will increase.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ovo posted:

If you eat a roguelike players corpse your Luck stat will increase.

That's a very well implemented Karma mechanic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TOOT BOOT posted:

tiles player spotted

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ugh, I just had the most stupid death in the royal flush of all Pixel Dungeon runs.

I decided to try a Battlemage playthrough, and lucked into a Wand of Firebolt + 1 on the 2nd floor of the dungeon, followed by a +2 mail of metabolism on the 3rd floor. By level 15 I had 16 strength, a plate mail + 2, a wand of firebolt + 8, plus a full complement of utility potions, scrolls, and seeds, and a couple nice utility wands. On level 17 I misclicked a firebolt and targeted myself, standing in a field of grass with already low hp. I clicked to move instead of opening my pack to down a healing potion and died immediately, respawned because I had an ankh, and then got promptly chased down a grassy corridor that ended in a locked door by a fire elemental, who was pretty much immune to me now that I literally only had a wand of firebolt and some armor and no other items.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

MeramJert posted:

I clicked to move instead of opening my pack to down a healing potion

This is exactly why I started to use the Menu button on my phone to open my inventory instead of hitting the on screen button.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

KeeperRL is pretty close to being funded for full time development

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keeperrl-v1-0

That video is really good, I'm not sure why I never really knew about this game, I've been lax in paying attention.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is definitely good to see KeeperRL seemingly having a victory locked up in the wasteland that is IndieGoGo---people wax nostalgia for the Roaring 20's equivalent days on Kickstarter where the likes of FTL and various cRPGs of all stripes seemingly had a golden ticket so long as your project title (usually) wasn't just a rough description of a genre...but slim to nobody has been able to get any traction on IGG outside of Biskup's ADOM campaign which was also something of lightning in a bottle at an ephemeral window of time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ADOM Resurrection has been a success thus far though it's taking a super long time. I wouldn't be surprised if took another year or even two to wrap everything up. Biskup just submitted ADOM Deluxe to Greenlight this week.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like this would be based on what level of tolerance you would have for a real life "What is a REAL Roguelike?" shouting match. I suspect mine would be pretty low.

In other news, in Brogue, I finally had a chance to main an armor of respiration. I got to beat an ogre to death with a dagger while we both sat in a cloud of paralysis, so that was fun.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any pointers for Sword of the Stars: The Pit?

I'm pretty impressed with how it's put together so far. The setting as well as the combination of combat, science oriented skills and psionics make it play a lot like what I would imagine a System Shock roguelike would.

My only beef is that the crafting system seems to rely on players torpedoing early characters by experimenting with crafting combinations. Not like I expect to win in the first couple games, but if I'm going to use trial and error, I'd prefer that the negative results were more interesting rather than the items simply being destroyed.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any pointers for Sword of the Stars: The Pit?

I'm pretty impressed with how it's put together so far. The setting as well as the combination of combat, science oriented skills and psionics make it play a lot like what I would imagine a System Shock roguelike would.

My only beef is that the crafting system seems to rely on players torpedoing early characters by experimenting with crafting combinations. Not like I expect to win in the first couple games, but if I'm going to use trial and error, I'd prefer that the negative results were more interesting rather than the items simply being destroyed.

Cheat and look up the recipes? If you're into that.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
It's a nice enough roguelike, but the crafting, as noted, is awful. Just cheat and look up the recipes, or ignore crafting entirely outside of food. Dredmor is far more generous with recipes and provides substantial storage options for all the crap you wind up hoarding, and crafting is still an awful grind in that game; without those things, the Pit's crafting is a serious wart on an otherwise pretty decent game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yeah, just look them up on the Wiki. Otherwise you need to play a ton of runs before you have the basic food combinations that you need to survive. Other than that, you can develop a memory for what other crafting items show up often enough to make it worth to carry them around. Most of the really good crafts will never be completed though, because the RNG hates you with all its might. I played this game a ton, so ask away and I can probably help. You can also filter my posts itt, and see some tips I posted last time this game came up.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here's something tangentially related to roguelikes, about a game that's only tangentially a roguelike: I just heard a track from FTL being used on NPR as interstitial music. Guess there's a fan of the game in the editing booth.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Here's something tangentially related to roguelikes, about a game that's only tangentially a roguelike: I just heard a track from FTL being used on NPR as interstitial music. Guess there's a fan of the game in the editing booth.

Yeah I heard that this morning on NPR. I was amusingly: :aaa:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah, just look them up on the Wiki. Otherwise you need to play a ton of runs before you have the basic food combinations that you need to survive. Other than that, you can develop a memory for what other crafting items show up often enough to make it worth to carry them around. Most of the really good crafts will never be completed though, because the RNG hates you with all its might. I played this game a ton, so ask away and I can probably help. You can also filter my posts itt, and see some tips I posted last time this game came up.

So basically just look up the most useful recipes and ignore everything else? Can I get away with just crafting utility items and not worrying about weapons and armour?

palecur posted:

It's a nice enough roguelike, but the crafting, as noted, is awful. Just cheat and look up the recipes, or ignore crafting entirely outside of food. Dredmor is far more generous with recipes and provides substantial storage options for all the crap you wind up hoarding, and crafting is still an awful grind in that game; without those things, the Pit's crafting is a serious wart on an otherwise pretty decent game.

Yeah, Dredmor's inventory management is what led me to quit it before ever winning. Maybe it's just because I don't have as much free time as I used to, but it feels like all the time wasted sorting through crafting ingredients could actually be spent playing the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I once heard an OC Remix of a song from Mega Man X2 played on NPR.

Every once in awhile I have to mentally adjust and go "Oh yeah, videogames have been a major cultural phenomenon for decades now. That means that there are responsible adults that like them." Some part of me is still convinced that he's a teenager, I guess.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Fruits of the sea posted:

So basically just look up the most useful recipes and ignore everything else? Can I get away with just crafting utility items and not worrying about weapons and armour?
More or less, yes. There are a few special cases, but most good weapon and armor recipes are a bitch to complete. And you basically need to use tesseract wells to store crafting items for a while so that they don't block valuable inventory space. You also need to level the required crafting skills, and of course, nobody says that you'll even find all the required parts anyway. Aside from food/healing/utility items, there is honestly a pretty small selection of things that I generally try to build. The Chitin Plate Armor is not too hard to make, and pretty nice. Keeping the parts for a Laser Rifle is also a pretty safe bet. A Lifter Pack is also not too tough to make, and expands your inventory a bit. And the Targeting Helm/Quantum Visor use mostly common parts too.

The larger recepies can lead to some kick-rear end gear, but you'll probably only ever complete them once every blue moon. Rejoice when you do, but never count on it. Your best weapons and armor usually come from loot sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
How do I only fire a single shot with an autopistol in SotS: The Pit? The tutorial said it was control but that doesn't appear to be working.