Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Oh my god my housemate is going to lose her mind when I show her that. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Okay so my stupid rabbit got up on the desk and ate ~15g of chocolate. Vet said there isn't a lot to do for him and it probably isn't that bad, just keep an eye on him to see if he has diarrhea or is acting too erratic. Thing is, bunnies can be pretty crazy and erratic at the best of times. Any other advice here at all? He's been a few hours now and is a bit more active than usual but nothing over the top.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
This is an unpleasant question, that perhaps Alucinor will be the best for answering, but maybe others will have a good idea. I've been less and less involved with my buns in the last few months, and I really think I'm not giving them the attention they deserve. They get food and water and veggies and the occasional treat, but almost no attention, and i don't brush them or trim their nails nearly as much as I should. I really don't like the idea of sending them back to a rescue, ideally I'd like to find someone who wants a pair of pre-bonded, pre-box trained rabbits. It's a hard think to think about, but at this point, I feel like I'm just not giving them the care they deserve, and they're just making my house messy and dusty and covered in hay.

Not to mention the rescue lady LOVES guilt trips, and I feel bad enough about this that taking them back to her and listening to her speech would be awful.

I'm in the SF Bay Area. Anyone know anybody interested in bunnies? I'd happy donate all my cube cage stuff, litterboxes etc.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012

Operation Juicebox posted:

Oh my god my housemate is going to lose her mind when I show her that. Thank you!

My housemates want to see a little makeshift saddle and mini man getting bucked off George. Our buns are a bit more laid back. But when they face off over who is going to clean who...

So good.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Invader Mat posted:

My housemates want to see a little makeshift saddle and mini man getting bucked off George. Our buns are a bit more laid back. But when they face off over who is going to clean who...

So good.

Snoopy and Peanut do that quite often, then it's the waiting game.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Prawned posted:

Snoopy and Peanut do that quite often, then it's the waiting game.

I always volunteer to groom but my bun wants none of it.

Stupid rabbit.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Deceptor101 posted:

This is an unpleasant question...

My attitude has changed a lot over the last 10 years; I can see both sides of the argument now. Maybe they are better off living out their lives with no attention and good husbandry, instead of being rehomed and possibly changed hands several more times, potentially ending up with people who will give them no care at all. Or maybe they are better off taking their chances, and then maybe both of you will have better lives. :shrug:

I got out of rescue not long ago, but I still have several buns who have never been adopted. The youngest pair are 6 or 7, there's pretty much no chance they'll be adopted now. I still put ads up occasionally but I'm resigned to having them till they die. I never bother handling them, either, except to give them nose pats once a month or so. They all hate people anyhow so I doubt they give a poo poo.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

alucinor posted:

My attitude has changed a lot over the last 10 years; I can see both sides of the argument now...
Thanks for the honest answer. It's true, Ben is at least 8 years old by now, and while he doesn't really act like it, that would impact his chances of getting re-adopted. I kind of wish that he hadn't bonded so well with Arya, as she can't be more than 3 or 4. Arya pretty much hates people, and Ben is fantastically indifferent unless you're petting him or giving him treats. He won't come for pets, he'll just allow you to pet him where he is. I'll send an email to the judge-y rescue lady and see what she says.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, last night I almost lost Harriet. I had gone to the washroom while she was frolicing, and I came out to find her tangled up in my phone charging cable, which was strangling her. Fortunately, I was able to free her, and she did calm down right away, and let me cuddle her, but still, it was terrifying.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Only a rabbit can succeed at killing itself with a phone charger.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

An ancient blood feud between house bunnies and charging cables would explain the zealous fervor with which Charlie slays any that get in his path

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Deceptor101 posted:

Thanks for the honest answer. It's true, Ben is at least 8 years old by now, and while he doesn't really act like it, that would impact his chances of getting re-adopted. I kind of wish that he hadn't bonded so well with Arya, as she can't be more than 3 or 4. Arya pretty much hates people, and Ben is fantastically indifferent unless you're petting him or giving him treats. He won't come for pets, he'll just allow you to pet him where he is. I'll send an email to the judge-y rescue lady and see what she says.

If those two bunnies are happily bonded you shouldn't feel too bad about a lack of time to spend with them. Being a perfectly ideal pet owner is much like being a perfectly ideal parent, it's a nice idea but not too realistic. They are probably getting plenty of social interaction and companionship from each other and even if you only have time to keep them watered and fed it could be a much worse situation. Is either of them longhaired? I wouldn't be overly concerned about the time for grooming them if not. It is definitely a good thing, but if they aren't a breed with special needs for constant grooming, it isn't the worst of things with them having a bunny mate to help with the grooming.

The nail trimming is important too, but that depends on what you would consider being lax on keeping them trimmed. The main risks are nails that could break from being so long, and that longer nails tend to contribute to sore hocks if it affects their movement. You could know better than anyone if their habitat would contribute to these risks or not, if it's just a matter of their nails getting a little on the long side before you get to trimming them.

Honestly, I've always felt like a slacker with my own bunnies when it comes to nail trimming, we tend to procrastinate with it because they hate every second of the experience so it's very easy to wait another week here, and another day there. Lately I've been trying to make it a schedule of lightly trimming nails every few weeks rather than a time consuming job of trying to trim as much of the nail as safely possible but putting it off for longer.

I can understand it feeling like a waste of pets if you aren't really getting to interact with them much but you shouldn't feel terribly guilty about it in the big picture. Those 2 furballs have likely enjoyed a quality of life the majority of "pet" bunnies could only hope for. How much worth that adds to the whole experience of owning a pet varies for everyone but it's worth acknowledging at least.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Yeah I've been thinking about your post Deceptor101 and tbh Bitsy and Paterson ignored the gently caress out of me. As long as they had each other they wouldn't have anything to do with me.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

luscious posted:

Yeah I've been thinking about your post Deceptor101 and tbh Bitsy and Paterson ignored the gently caress out of me. As long as they had each other they wouldn't have anything to do with me.

That explains why I can never get Flopsy or Simba to play with me. Far as they're concerned, I only exist when they're hungry or thirsty. Rabbits.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
I'm considering getting a pet rabbit, to keep as a house bunny. I have 2 cat's and I've read online that if you're careful with the introduction it's very possible for cats and rabbits to live together peacefully.

I've read this page about the topic: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience and could share the process they followed and how quickly they were able to introduce them? I'm also not sure what people do when they go out or go to bed once the rabbit and cat's are fully introduced and living together without issues. Would the rabbit need to be caged when out or asleep, or by this point would the rabbit be able to roam freely around the house at all times?

I've also never owned a pet rabbit before, so I'm also not highly knowledgeable about Rabbit care, but I'd make sure to research it all properly before I do adopt one. I'm aware that they need hay and grass to graze on as well as pellets, but I guess I can get more information from my vet when it has it's first checkup and vaccinations if I do decide to go ahead with adopting one.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
In my experience rabbits and cats get along just fine. Usually the cats are pretty indifferent at first, but I've never seen cats and rabbits fight like two rabbits do.

Also, I cage my rabbit at night, but only because I'm worried that while I'm sleeping she'll dig a giant hole in the carpet or do something else naughty that she shouldn't be doing, and I won't be able to stop her. I'd love to let her roam freely, but I know I'll wake up to some kind of disaster.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Rah posted:

I've also never owned a pet rabbit before, so I'm also not highly knowledgeable about Rabbit care, but I'd make sure to research it all properly before I do adopt one. I'm aware that they need hay and grass to graze on as well as pellets, but I guess I can get more information from my vet when it has it's first checkup and vaccinations if I do decide to go ahead with adopting one.

Unless you luck into a bunny with no mischievous destructive tendencies, it will take a good deal of bunny proofing to let a bunny have free roam of the house.

Power cords of all varieties are probably concern number one since the majority of rabbits have an irresistible instinct to gnaw through them. Carpet is a big concern with any rabbit who loves to dig. Baseboards and other wall trim will also be potential gnawing targets. This can all be prevented with rabbit proofing and offering lots of toys and alternatives to get that chewing and digging out of their system. Of course, like any pet, there will probably be a learning curve where you think you've nailed it on the bunny proofing only to have a mischievous little rabbit prove otherwise.

I have two bunnies and in my experience it has been easiest to completely bunny proof one room that our bunnies can have free run of 24/7. The rest of the house is only accessible during times when they are being supervised. There is nothing wrong with the bunny having an enclosure at night or during other times when you aren't around, so long as they still get plenty of chances to get out for physical/mental stimulation.

Making it a successful living situation with a bunny and two cats will depend just as much, if not more, on the personality of the rabbit as the cats. I know rabbit rescues will have varying levels of hesitancy for a living situation along those lines, but you would have much better odds of finding a bunny with a great personality for living with other animals at one. Some bunnies would be just fine with cats so long as the cats were chill with them, other bunnies would absolutely make either themselves or the cats miserable.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I third all of the previous. Cage at night, make a bunny proof room, and supervised interaction with the cats. If you don't have a room you can bunny proof, a large and well equipped one level cage is fine, so long as there is playtime. There might be issues with cat proofing the cage though, it's possible for kitties to pester a bun to death.
I'm lucky in the fact that my cat and rabbit are awesome together. Ella also has a full bunny proof screened and roofed patio to play on as a bunny room. Even has tv out there.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably keep the bunny in a cage when it cant be supervised, but I'll also try get everything bunny proofed just to make sure there's no accidents! I have a cage I used for one of my cats when she was on cage rest after breaking her leg. It's dimensions are: Height: 71cm, Width: 92cm, Depth: 63cm. Do you think this will be big enough for the rabbit? I imagine while trying to introduce them the bunnywill need to spend quite a lot of time in there, so I could possibly get a bigger one so it'll be a bit happier.

This is the cage just for reference: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705455.htm

tentril
May 9, 2012
It would be better if you had a cage with walls on the bottom since rabbits need some type of bedding to dig in and pee into. Also I can't tell how big those holes at the bottom are but when my rabbit was still very small she would squeeze through tiny holes that I thought were keeping her locked up.

Lots of stores sell rabbit kits with a cage and some basic things you might need. Make sure to have some sort of covered area for the rabbit to hide in so it can feel secure.

tentril fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2014

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Rah posted:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably keep the bunny in a cage when it cant be supervised, but I'll also try get everything bunny proofed just to make sure there's no accidents! I have a cage I used for one of my cats when she was on cage rest after breaking her leg. It's dimensions are: Height: 71cm, Width: 92cm, Depth: 63cm. Do you think this will be big enough for the rabbit? I imagine while trying to introduce them the bunnywill need to spend quite a lot of time in there, so I could possibly get a bigger one so it'll be a bit happier.

This is the cage just for reference: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705455.htm

That looks fine assuming you'll be able to let the bunny have a good bit of play/exercise time outside of it each day. I wouldn't bother with any "starter" rabbit stuff from a pet store. Generally they will sell you a too small cage and bad quality pellets and little else of value for a bunny. The best option if you wanted to give the bunny some more room long term would either be X pens, or NIC cubes: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nic%20cubes&sprefix=nic+cu%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anic%20cubes

I'm a big fan of the NIC cubes, those combined with some zip ties means you can custom make any dimension pen you could desire which is great if you want to maximize the room for the bunny while keeping it just right for how much space you want to use. You could easily use a box of these to expand the room the cage you already have offers.

You'll want to have the bunny a litterbox where they can access hay 24/7. Ideally it is best to have a tray/holder for the hay that will let them casually graze it while using the litterbox. On the subject of litterboxes, you would want to be careful to keep the bunny away from any of the cats litterboxes. Cat litter is dangerous since just a small amount being ingested can cause deadly blockages for rabbits.

It's also a good idea to make sure the bunny has some sort of shelter it can relax in. Even if the cats aren't the type to pester it, pretty much any rabbit enjoys that privacy. A cardboard box with enough room for the bunny to comfortably stretch out in works just fine.

If that cage has a plastic bottom you'll also want something to put in at least part of it to offer more cushion and traction. Some breeds of rabbits with small feet have a really hard time getting traction on any smooth surface and tend to hate it. Constant time spent on wire bottom cages and hard surfaces also contributes to sore hocks which is a really miserable foot condition that can develop.

Finally, I'll be redundant here and bring up rescues again, if you have the option at all in your area to visit a rescue you really should. It is so much easier to come home with a bunny well adjusted and suited to fit right in with your household.

The337th fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 7, 2014

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
Thanks for the replies! The cage I have does have a plastic tray that goes at the bottom, so I'd get some bedding to put down in there so she doesn't get sore feet! I decided I'd like to get a female bunny and call her Honey (My honey bunny! :) )

About the litter, I could possibly switch the cats to a rabbit safe litter too just so there's no problems with the rabbit ingesting it.

I also did contact some shelters about rabbits they have, but they said they wouldn't adopt them out to a home with cats if it's going to be a house bunny, so I think my only choice is to get one from a breeder or possibly through classified adds of people trying to rehome their bunny.

I know that with cats, if they're used to the outdoors, they don't cope well being strictly indoor cats. Do you guys know if this is the same in rabbits? If I managed to find someone looking to rehome one that was used to living in a garden or something, would it easily be able to adjust to living inside?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Rah posted:

Thanks for the replies! The cage I have does have a plastic tray that goes at the bottom, so I'd get some bedding to put down in there so she doesn't get sore feet! I decided I'd like to get a female bunny and call her Honey (My honey bunny! :) )

About the litter, I could possibly switch the cats to a rabbit safe litter too just so there's no problems with the rabbit ingesting it.

I also did contact some shelters about rabbits they have, but they said they wouldn't adopt them out to a home with cats if it's going to be a house bunny, so I think my only choice is to get one from a breeder or possibly through classified adds of people trying to rehome their bunny.

I know that with cats, if they're used to the outdoors, they don't cope well being strictly indoor cats. Do you guys know if this is the same in rabbits? If I managed to find someone looking to rehome one that was used to living in a garden or something, would it easily be able to adjust to living inside?

Bedding in the bottom of the whole cage can be counterproductive on helping a rabbit be disciplined on where it goes to the bathroom. Generally a rabbit will tend to pick at least one corner of it's home area that it will try to use for litter, it's really easy to see where they tend to prefer and stick a litter box there. The majority of rabbits will develop decent to good litter habits quickly.

If shelters and rescues are out of the question and that's leaving you with taking one someone wants to be rid of just be aware that if they aren't willing to take the bunny back this could be a total crapshoot. Even if your cats are very chill and don't harass the bunny in any way, some rabbits will have the personality to be threatened by them or simply just be territorial jerks to them. It won't be any fun to feel stuck with a bunny who wants no part of your living situation.

A bunny that comes from an individual (or pet store) is almost certain to not be spayed/neutered as well. Even a solo bunny with no chance of reproducing is much better off being fixed. Their personalities are much more agreeable without all the hormones and female rabbits have an especially high rate of uterine cancer (~85% by age 5) without being spayed. The odds of a hormonal rabbit tolerating your cats would be slim, and vice versa if bunny decides they are prime targets for humping and nipping (lady bunnies love them some dominance humping as well).

Generally any "outdoor" rabbit will be exponentially better off indoors. Unless a rabbit has an absolutely impeccable set up for living outside, it's not a good life for a prey animal. The majority of basic hutch set ups you see in backyards are only good for a rabbit being exposed to predators, harsh weather, and most of all being an easily forgotten and neglected pet you feed once in a while. A rabbit who could get along with your cats would absolutely be better off if it was previously outdoors.

I'm hoping I'm hitting most of the major points of information on this. I'm like many a rabbit owner who ended up with two cute baby bunnies from a pet store with no idea what proper care was at first, nor any clue what to expect with the quirks of bunny behavior.

I wouldn't want to scare you off from owning a bunny just for the sake of doing so, but be aware you'll be attempting a fairly challenging living situation. It can be extremely difficult to simply get one bunny to live peacefully and happily with another bunny, they are very socially complex animals. At times it takes months to bond two rabbits, sometimes two rabbits simply refuse to ever get along. Sometimes it's "love at first sight". It varies enough that you could be lucky and bring home a bunny who is instantly cool with you and your cats, or you could bring home one who is too timid, aloof, or just plain assholish to have any part of it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
rabbits in sunlight are so beautiful

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
About five months ago my mom sent me a text saying that one of her coworkers was punishing her kids by giving away their pet rabbits. Do I want one?

I told her if they were dead, bring them both and we'll have a cook out. If they're alive just bring one. Needless to say they were alive and thus I got Lola.

She's got full reign of my bedroom after I bunny proofed it. I don't even lock her in the cage at night or when I'm away. She doesn't have access to the rest of the house but I think that's ok. The room is plenty big and since she learned how to jump up on my desk she get's plenty of exercise.

She's not the most affectionate of pets and I feel like part of that is my fault for not wanting to force the bonding because I read that they're very shy creatures that dont' like to be petted or touched much, let alone be carried for cuddles. So I try to give her space and when she comes to me I give her a bit of attention before she runs away.

A lot of research I looked up on said that bunnies are the exact opposite of low maintaince animals but I find that Lola is pretty chill and apperently the exact opposite of a mischievous bunny.

Cord chewing was a problem but that fixed it self with bunny proofing the room. I've only had one day of dealing with her chewing on basebords but I quickly learned that that's her way of saying "I need more hay." I keep her stocked up on that and she hasn't touched a basebord since.

This is my 1 and a half time of owning a bunny. A long time ago my sister found a baby bunny on the road and brought it home. It liked us and liked to cuddle. One night it escaped out of it's shoe box (we only had it for three days and hadn't had time to get a cage) jumped up on my bed and in my sleep I rolled over... I still feel bad about that one so I like to think of Lola as my do over chance.

She seems to have a sixth sense about camera's and when ever I bust one out she hides under the bed. This is the only semi good picture I've managed to get:

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Lily is an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Y-7DlcivA

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
The flemmies have finally transitioned to full-time inside life since we bought them a house. They seem to like it so far:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

boberteatskitten posted:

The flemmies have finally transitioned to full-time inside life since we bought them a house. They seem to like it so far:

What a wonderful chewable home you have.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
My favorite activity:

Petting both my buns at the same time.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Hello house bunny fanatics! I have a big dilemma I need help with. Actually, two dilemmas.

Her name is Olive. We've had her for a week. My boyfriend loves bunnies and taking care of one means a lot to him. His previous bunny passed away a couple months ago (at the age of 12!) and we figured it was time to adopt a new one. She's a wonderful bunny.

His name is Boston. We've had him for a month. I love cats and taking care of one means a lot to me. I haven't been able to own one for years at this point until now, when we were pet-less due to the passing of the previous rabbit, and he's a wonderful cat.

Me and my boyfriend are in the process of trying to cohabitate these two, but it's been a nervous affair and at this point I feel like I really need advice. When we first put them together on a "date," it went absolutely perfect. Boston was scared of Olive, but not aggressively so, just curious-frightened. Olive didn't seem to give a poo poo about him one way or the other. We thought this meant she was confident and he obviously didn't see her as prey, so they would be a good match. Unfortunately once she moved in, things changed.

She took about two days to acclimate to us, during which time we kept her in her (very large) cage and she was afraid of both human and (the very respectful) kitty to the extent that she wasn't really eating right, just hiding in the corner. So we decided to remove the kitty element and locked Boston out of the bunny's room entirely for the next two days. This perked her right up so we let her out of the cage and expanded her world to that room. Soon she was binky-ing and playing and flopping down all over the room as you can see in the above picture. Once she realized we could be trusted, she was very fond of pets as well, often demanding affection.

Unfortunately, this upset Boston because we were often in a room he couldn't get into, and he gets lonely very easily. (The bunny's room is our home office, so whenever we were working, the door was closed and he couldn't visit.) It was making him really despondent, and Olive was 100% acclimated to us by then, so we opened the door back up to give both of them the run of the apartment. (My boyfriend and I both work from home so we can watch them at all times when awake and just keep the two separate via closed door when we go to sleep, which is fine with Boston, because *we're* not behind a closed door, just the bunny.) So keeping them completely separate isn't an option, they have to get used to each other. They are both wonderful pets independently, and Boston prefers to stay outside the office most of the time, and the bunny inside the office most of the time, so they don't cross paths frequently. They do at least once or twice a day however, and the encounters aren't encouraging so far.

The problem is that Olive, contrary to all initial impressions, is very fearful of Boston. We think her initial "confident" behavior was just due to being overwhelmed in general. Her foster mother was petting her at the time when the cat came right up and sniffed her. It could be that she was sort of in a trance and just plain didn't notice him. Now the cat doesn't have a prayer of getting that close to her, only about three feet before she flees. He's been respectful of her space, mostly mewing at her entreating her to play, rolling around on the ground, etc., and she's not interested.

Not being interested would be one thing, but she's started thumping at him and fleeing when he tries to approach, and...this has changed his behavior towards her. He doesn't "stalk" her per se, but he's started staring at her more intently and laying flat to the ground in what would be a stalking pose. When she runs away from him, he doesn't chase her, thank god, but I'm worried that he will see her more and more as prey and less as the potential buddy he first saw her as if things continue this way. Even if he only stares and never dashes at her, we don't want to stress poor Olive out, as stress is especially bad for bunnies, but she's just inordinately skittish compared to our early perception of her.

Is there anything we can do to make this transition easier? Have we already hosed things up and what can we do to fix it? I've owned many cats and my boyfriend has owned many bunnies, but cohabitating the two is a new experience for both of us. :(

Jay O fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 13, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Invader Mat posted:

My favorite activity:

Petting both my buns at the same time.

That seriously is the best. I love it when I run across our buns and they are too sleepy to notice I'm petting them and I'm not their sister.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Jay O posted:

Hello house bunny fanatics! I have a big dilemma I need help with. Actually, two dilemmas.

I'm guessing you may have already seen this article, but just in case, this is the House Rabbit Society's tips on it: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

From the sounds of it you've got a bunny who will be on the extreme end of difficulty when it comes to getting one used to a cat. It's probably going to take a lot of time and patience to have any chance to lessen Olive's fear of him. Things may not be irreparable yet, but they will definitely become that way if you feel you must force the situation to work out as soon as possible.

If I had to even guess where to begin with something this tricky it might be very limited amounts of time with Boston in the room and whatever it would take to make Olive feel less terrified. If you or your boyfriend being near Olive helps, or even if you just use whatever treat Olive finds irresistible to distract her for a few seconds from the perceived impending catdoom. Something along those lines might let you make baby steps from terror to fear to merely wary and so on.

This is just my guess at what I would attempt in your situation. Maybe someone else has better advice, perhaps even some real experience with cats/rabbits. There is always the possibility that Olive may never be comfortable around cats, as terrible as that would be.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My bun has no manners when it comes to eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aslshnclMzA

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
That looks familiar. The other week, I decided to share with Penny some of the lovely greens I'd bought - fresh arugula, chicory, and ecarole. She took one look at it and flipped the dish. I've never been so insulted in my life.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Liability posted:

That looks familiar. The other week, I decided to share with Penny some of the lovely greens I'd bought - fresh arugula, chicory, and ecarole. She took one look at it and flipped the dish. I've never been so insulted in my life.

As I understand it, dish-flipping isn't a sign of rejection. The bunny just wants to spread out all the goodies so they have an easier time rummaging through them.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
I posted a week or so ago about considering getting a bunny, but I decided not to get a bunny right now as much as I'd love one! I think at the moment my cats are too young and playful and if I were to get a bunny, they'd probably try playing with it like they do each other and perhaps be a little too rough for the bunny! My cats are around 8 - 9 months old at the moment so maybe once they're 2 or 3 years old and not quite so full of energy I'll consider getting a bunny again then.

I've also never owned a bunny before and it scares me a little that I wouldn't have the knowledge to care for it properly, so I plan to do a lot more reading about bunny care over the next couple of years so when the time is right, I know I can care for it properly and have a happy and healthy bunny.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

ShadowCatboy posted:

As I understand it, dish-flipping isn't a sign of rejection. The bunny just wants to spread out all the goodies so they have an easier time rummaging through them.

The best is when she flips the bowl, and it lands upright again right in front of her, so she flips it again, and it lands upright in front of her, and she'll keep doing it until it lands upside down. Then she'll push it away and continue eating. Sometimes I'll grab the empty bowl and place it upright in front of her again, and she'll continue flipping it. It's the cutest.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I have three rabbits, two of whom (Pavel and Sam) that are bonded and one (Tobias) that isn't. Tobias gets along fine with Pavel, not so much with Sam. Would I be hurting anything if I gave Pavel and Tobias some playtime together? I don't want to screw up future bonding or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Rah posted:

I posted a week or so ago about considering getting a bunny, but I decided not to get a bunny right now as much as I'd love one! I think at the moment my cats are too young and playful and if I were to get a bunny, they'd probably try playing with it like they do each other and perhaps be a little too rough for the bunny! My cats are around 8 - 9 months old at the moment so maybe once they're 2 or 3 years old and not quite so full of energy I'll consider getting a bunny again then.

I've also never owned a bunny before and it scares me a little that I wouldn't have the knowledge to care for it properly, so I plan to do a lot more reading about bunny care over the next couple of years so when the time is right, I know I can care for it properly and have a happy and healthy bunny.

Nothing wrong with this decision. I'm sure if you've read Jay O's dilemna that was posted in the thread just recently you can see that it's potentially tricky business, even with a calm cat. Perhaps when the cats are a bit older and more laid back you'll be able to revisit the idea and find a bunny you could temporarily bring home as a trial run to see how everyone gets along.