Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Gimme Detroit Pittsburgh and lets play with the real DH rules. Makes the WS more interesting.

e: didn't see the Tigers get claimed.

Dr. Tommy John fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

While we wait for the final few teams to fill out, feel free to suggest anything else that might be a fun twist to the league. I'm flexible on everything except the scouting and coaching being off, because having those on will mess up user strategies. I'll add in the possible things that you can tweak to the third post tomorrow.

Things to consider:

Bigger rosters: The game comes with pretty much every player in the minors built in. All the way down to that 26 year old that somehow still has a job in Rookie ball. This would be ideal if people want to sim more than one season or if you want injuries on.

Injuries: That being said, I'm not sure having them on is the best idea. It's fun for leagues but not so much for something like this that isn't intended to be one. But if the people want them, I'm open.

Extra Seasons: as mentioned above, I can do as many seasons as we want, to a reasonable limit. Randomly generated draft picks would start being relevant after a few seasons, and we can't have any of that in our fake simulation.

Different locations: Stadiums can be created, current ones can be edited, etc. If people want to move somewhere else (within reason), go hog wild.

???: Can you come up with something else fun? The power...is YOURS!

I would like injuries turned off since it wouldn't be as much fun and no moving stadiums. If we don't have injuries on, then we shouldn't need extra roster spots. The only problem I can think of is if someone drafts a starting pitcher and OOTP is convinced he's a reliever (in which case I think you could just go in and add a few points to his stamina or whatever you need to do).

If you understand OOTP's mechanics, there is a pretty easy way to exploit large stadiums so I am very much against moving stadiums.

I don't mind simming an extra few seasons after the initial one just for fun but the players we draft might be very different after about 5 seasons so I'm more interested in the immediate results.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 8, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Yeah I'm a fan of working with RL stadiums. Much less prone to gaming the system. No injuries sounds good.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress? I'll take any team that's left. :bang:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

Can you leave on preexisting injuries, but turn off new ones?

Read the OP thanks and god bless.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Read the OP thanks and god bless.

I like resetting injuries because Matt Harvey.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
As an outside that will be looking in, I think the team with the worst combined record over seasons one and two should forcibly be relocated to Montreal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sorry forgot to mention this but AL only DH is my vote.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Can we renovate our stadiums? I want to move the walls in at Coors to New Yankee Stadium right field dimensions and draft nothing but fly ball pitchers.

note: I'm not actually involved in the game.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

JosefStalinator posted:

Aww I wanted the Giants! Unless you wanna switch Infidel Castro (assuming you don't have any preference, since I'd love my hometown team), I'll take the Padres as next best thing. AL only DH

Sure thing. I am also abolishing those stupid camo jerseys they wear every Sunday, so it's a fictional win-win for us all.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I did this last time. Tip: Don't trade a 10th and 13th rounder just to move up a few spots in the first round. It will crush you.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I don't think I have the time to commit to being a GM, but if someone wants co-GM or vice-GM I'd be happy to help! I think this would be really fun but I don't want to sign up and then ruin it by not having time to devote.

Anyone out there want someone to bounce some ideas off of/make recommendations?

We could do it all through PM or email, either works for me :).

Edit: I think the simulation rules should be laid out well ahead of time though, because it makes a huge difference if you are going to sim for 1 year as opposed to 3 or 5 or something.

Also, how exactly does the simulation work? Does it sim game by game? It would be cool to sim like a week at a time and have it play out over a couple days/weeks. But that might be way too much of a time commitment for you IP. Especially since we might finally see the sun here in MN soon.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 8, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
As the Angels GM, I'd like to announce our intention to move our club to a replica of West Side Park (circa 1910) on the shore of the Dead Sea.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

can someone confirm that Wily Mo Pena is in OOTP 15?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctaFun posted:

Edit: I think the simulation rules should be laid out well ahead of time though, because it makes a huge difference if you are going to sim for 1 year as opposed to 3 or 5 or something.

Also, how exactly does the simulation work? Does it sim game by game? It would be cool to sim like a week at a time and have it play out over a couple days/weeks. But that might be way too much of a time commitment for you IP. Especially since we might finally see the sun here in MN soon.

tadashi posted:

I like resetting injuries because Matt Harvey.

IcePhoenix posted:

:holy::slick::siren:How it works::siren::slick::holy:

Once everyone has their team, I'll run a random draft order in the game, and we will run a serpentine draft (I will set up a separate thread that will only be for picks) until each team has a full 25 man roster. After this, I'll let people set various strategies for their teams (I'll detail what you can do in another post) and start simming a couple weeks at a time in a separate thread. Injuries, scouting, and coaching will be turned off. As far as existing injuries go, anyone who is out for six weeks or less as of the roster set I have (which I believe is updated as of the real opening day) will be reset to healthy, anyone else will have their injury untouched. Any player who is in the game is eligible to be drafted. This includes prospects! You think that ace in the making that your team is holding down for service time issues is ready? Draft him! Young slugger ready to take the league by storm? Warm up the sirens.

If there's anything else that you think should be added please discuss it here. Whether that's ideas to make this sim longer than just one year, things to help the draft, or things that would make the draft more fun, I'm all ears! Nothing is set in stone until we start the draft. After that, any league settings will not be changed. Quality of life changes may still happen, though.

I edited this to help anyone else who may have questions find the most likely place it will be answered ty and god bless.

e: also - gently caress the sun, it hurts my eyes. 70+ and partly cloudy owns though and we're gonna have a few of those soon.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 8, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I've already started hiring my front office staff.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
e: gently caress. All the teams are taken aren't they? Well I'll join a waiting list if somebody backs out I guess.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 8, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mentholmoose posted:

e: gently caress. All the teams are taken aren't they? Well I'll join a waiting list if somebody backs out I guess.

yeah, I just edited the teams post. I'll give everyone today to decide if any of the settings are worth changing and we can start tomorrow morning. I'm thinking a four hour pick clock for the first five rounds (keep in mind the period where the clock is frozen) and adjusting as needed, so please discuss that as well.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think 4 hours should be enough time.

When can you get the draft order posted?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just so I'm clear:

There's no salary/payroll considerations in this, right? Like, if pitcher A and pitcher B will have the exact same performance, and pitcher B happens to be a 10-year vet making $20mm/yr IRL, the two players are nevertheless of equivalent value in this draft?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

When can you get the draft order posted?

I'll post the picks thread tonight after we make sure there are no other rule changes.

FairGame posted:

Just so I'm clear:

There's no salary/payroll considerations in this, right? Like, if pitcher A and pitcher B will have the exact same performance, and pitcher B happens to be a 10-year vet making $20mm/yr IRL, the two players are nevertheless of equivalent value in this draft?

I have finances turned off but if people want to make it a thing we can. It requires zero effort on my part since all the contract information (including extensions signed before April) is already in the game.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

IcePhoenix posted:

I'll post the picks thread tonight after we make sure there are no other rule changes.

I have finances turned off but if people want to make it a thing we can. It requires zero effort on my part since all the contract information (including extensions signed before April) is already in the game.

I think it would be pretty important to decide how many seasons are getting simmed first before thinking about doing this.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I'd like finances off, the only way that there are consequences to big contracts is if there are budgets and if they use the engine's engrained budgets its unfair for some people.

One idea, however (if it's easy), is to set every team's budget to 110m (roughly league average).

As for time of sim, I'd suggest 3 years.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zythrst posted:

I think it would be pretty important to decide how many seasons are getting simmed first before thinking about doing this.

Well then discuss it!

mynameisjohn posted:

I'd like finances off, the only way that there are consequences to big contracts is if there are budgets and if they use the engine's engrained budgets its unfair for some people.

One idea, however (if it's easy), is to set every team's budget to 110m (roughly league average).

yeah I would just set every team's budget to the same. I was thinking a little higher than 110 (125-ish) though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of a set budget for all teams.

It forces GMs to not just pick the best ranked player available every round. I wanna see some Tony Campanas damnit.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 8, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't want a budget; I was only asking to make sure there wasn't one :(

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I'd lean no budget, because it's not like a player's cap hit really has that much to do with how good they are. I don't really care how long it goes, so long as we know beforehand.

Juxta
Sep 2, 2002
I'm against the budget.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

No budget, no problem. I want to build the best team I can.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Either/or on the budget question, but I'm leaning towards having one.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 8, 2014

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
I am also in favor of having no budget

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Didn't know we had so many Yankees fans in here.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Make the budget $173 million, so we can all be Yankees for a day.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I, perhaps unsurprisingly given the team I picked, am against the budget.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Budgets mean anyone over 25 years old will not get picked in the first round, which means they are bad, because old and fat gentlemen are the most important players.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm for a budget. I was determined to make as competitive a team as I could for as little money as possible. I wound up with a drat good team for only $41m.

Either way, as everyone's on even footing, i'm fine.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Budgets are terrible

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Even though I don't have a team, you guys should have a budget, because without it, you're basically doing a more complex keeper league draft. I think the budget adds another challenge, which should IMO make it more fun to build a team.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

mentholmoose posted:

Even though I don't have a team, you guys should have a budget, because without it, you're basically doing a more complex keeper league draft. I think the budget adds another challenge, which should IMO make it more fun to build a team.

Well, if it does work out that way, you want to be Philly co-GM? I don't know if I have the wherewithal to include contract deets in my judgements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Please add me to the waiting list, the draft from 2 years ago was fun :)

• Locked thread