Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oaks
Oct 9, 2007

I'm going to be spending three weeks in Morocco soon, and my plan was to bring my phone with me, purchase a prepaid plan from a local carrier (probably Meditel or Maroc Telecom), then swap out my current SIM for the one they give me. My current carrier (ATT) has extremely lovely international data rates. Then when I get back into the states I'll just put my old SIM back in.

I have an unlocked GSM phone (Moto X) that is capable of functioning overseas. Since I've never done something like this before, I wanted to make sure this made sense to someone else before I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I do that when I can when I travel for work. I have my own phone via Verizon that I keep on so I can still be contacted on my US number and then a Nexus 5 which I can throw a SIM card in for a local carrier which I then use for all data stuff like email (on the phone), maps, checking web sites etc. It's extremely useful since most of the time I don't know where I'm going. You can always turn off data on your ATT phone so you don't incur data charges ($$ if you dont get a plan. I think I had a 60 dollar data charge in Dubai for 2Mb of data from email) but still receive SMS's and calls. You should also make sure you turn off any automated SMS services because the last thing you want is paying 25 cents to find out the Clippers lost a game or whatever.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
You just want to make sure that the carrier supports GSM (phones with sim cards). Some carriers still use some variant of CDMA, and only phones they sell will work on their network because the phone doesn't have a slot for a sim; it's programmed by people in phone stores. GSM is more common, and I doubt that there wouldn't be any GSM carriers, but it's worth mentioning.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The Gay Bean posted:

You just want to make sure that the carrier supports GSM (phones with sim cards). Some carriers still use some variant of CDMA, and only phones they sell will work on their network because the phone doesn't have a slot for a sim; it's programmed by people in phone stores. GSM is more common, and I doubt that there wouldn't be any GSM carriers, but it's worth mentioning.

It looks like literally every country in the world has a GSM network ( http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html ). I actually did not know there were two "types" of GSM, but as far as I can tell the difference between them is 100% invisible to an end user. Based on a few other websites it does not look like there is any country that doesn't have at least one GSM provider, even North Korea.

In any case there are tons of providers in Morocco that will be dirt cheap so the OP should have no issue. Just walk around the street in whatever the first city you are in is and buy a SIM there. You won't be screwed by the vendor because the guy in the shop doesn't set the rates on your data charges, although I imagine he will try to sell you whatever the most expensive one is.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

My boss wants an international phone card he can use with local landlines in Panama to dial to the U.S.

I've found:

http://www.callingcards.com/shopping/rate_table1.asp?GUID=A6D231C0CA956045932A6DEBCAE390C3

Is this legit/correct?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

My boss wants an international phone card he can use with local landlines in Panama to dial to the U.S.

I've found:

http://www.callingcards.com/shopping/rate_table1.asp?GUID=A6D231C0CA956045932A6DEBCAE390C3

Is this legit/correct?

Wow, international phone cards are still a thing that exist? Next you're going to tell me you've found a payphone outside a museum.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Saladman posted:

Wow, international phone cards are still a thing that exist? Next you're going to tell me you've found a payphone outside a museum.

What kind of modern interconnected world do you live in? As a true blood American, our options are pay $3/minute international roaming or spend $60+ on a prepaid phone and card.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Does this work for the Verizon iphone 5?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sneaky Fast posted:

Does this work for the Verizon iphone 5?

Getting a foreign sim? Yes, that would work. iPhone 5 and later on Verizon network are unlocked out of the box. You likely won't get LTE speeds, though, since I dunno... cell phones are loving dumb. You'll be on 3G and that even depends on the local infrastructure.

You'll need to look at local telecoms in the country you're visiting and see what your options are for a weekly/month rate and just buy a SIM or you may have to rent a nano-SIM (I had to do this in South Africa back when the iPhone 5 was brand new there) and return it once you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
what are the best options traveling from Australia to Scotland for a month? I was thinking of having a local friend get me a pre-paid sim and have it waiting at the hotel for me. just don't know which one to get to go in an iPhone 5.

• Locked thread