Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shaggy and Scooby were the only good characters in the original show that kids really liked. It's only natural they would get emphasized in later series.

My favorite part about the old Scooby Doo was how the entire premise of being a mystery was a total farce, and half the time they would just pull something out of their asses at the end. "Oh yeah, we never mentioned this before, but there was a wanted criminal around here, and the monster is him."

I'm pretty sure they always set up the character revealed as a monster, though maybe they halfass the motivation--like he's just the mean groundskeeper but it turns out he's buying up all the farms after he scares away the farmers.

I wonder how often the Scooby Gang end up tools of the establishment, supporting big business interests of Mama Cass' chocolate factory or Jonathan Winters' hotel against the interests of the common people who actually live in the community, whose only way to strike back at the fatcats is outside the law with a fake electricity monster or troll god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Perving on cartoon characters pre-dates Bronies, you realize.

I'm kind of surprised this site is still around. I remember seeing it featured on Worst of the Web back in college.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jscolon2.0 posted:

Perving on cartoon characters pre-dates Bronies, you realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DW31upNEEg

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's just a product of me growing up during the 90s but I was legitimately surprised that in Clarence they let the kids get into real-life peril like climbing on top of the playplace and actually show them hitting each other (albeit with pinecones and bits of foam). That and the other subtle mentions at the troubles their families have (the mom being too poor to buy groceries once she lost the coupons and Clarence being too little to understand, "I lost a dad but I got a Chad! :haw:" when talking about their families splitting) make it feel a lot more grounded and real even though it's still very silly.

It's probably not something I'm going to go out of my way to watch but it's a super cute show and it's nice to have something grounded in between the fantastical post-apocalyptic swordfights and 23 year-old stoner raccoons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh are we talking about lovely things done to Scooby Doo?

What about the one where Scooby and Shaggy eat nanite Scooby snax and are pursued by an evil inventor uncle.

Also Scooby becomes a mech sometimes??

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Nothing will kill Scooby Doo like Scrappy did

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Nothing will kill Scooby Doo like Scrappy did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsoEqodRImY&t=28s

Scooby-Doo is an insanely long-legged franchise for being 4 teens and an almost talking dog solve mysteries. I hope whatever next iteration of it features even more insanely convoluted plots to achieve relatively simple goals that are thwarted by detectives who are almost magoosian.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think I'm the only person in existence that actually liked Scrappy. :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

I'm kind of surprised this site is still around. I remember seeing it featured on Worst of the Web back in college.

Do you remember what tv show he wrote for? The link's dead and the image didn't survive the death of geocities.

I wonder what he's like now that he's 45.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I think we need a thread for Clarence because goddamn is this show hilarious. SUPREME COURT SQUAD! :black101:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I really liked his full dino PJs. If I ever had a kid, I'd get those for him.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I really dug the channel guide gag where all the TV shows were the same spin on two reality show concepts. Kudos.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finally finished Mystery Inc. Was a good series. Wonder why they don't try to make other shows set in that universe like Johnny Quest or Blue Falcon.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kefkafloyd posted:

I think we need a thread for Clarence because goddamn is this show hilarious. SUPREME COURT SQUAD! :black101:

I tried telling you guys Clarence is the loving poo poo and awesome. Everyone go watch Clarence now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gaunab posted:

Finally finished Mystery Inc. Was a good series. Wonder why they don't try to make other shows set in that universe like Johnny Quest or Blue Falcon.
Because Ventures Bros already exists.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thought it said Johnny Bravo for a second, was about to get hyped over my favorite cartoon.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Gaunab posted:

I too just finished Mystery Inc. drat it was getting a little dark there in the end. I really really liked it though, it had a lot of elements I tend to really enjoy: great humor, poked fun at itself, fun references, and an over-arching main mystery that I thought they did a great job of teasing slowly. Plus, they got a lot of great people to voice the characters, it was fun reading the IMDB page.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Adventure time is a pretty cool show for literal children.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrath Hover Ginsbot, the robotic Supreme Court justice. Why aren't you watching Clarence?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is it safe to assume Johnny test is in dire straits now? I can't seem to find it playing for several hours straight or hidden behind premier episodes so I'm hoping for the best.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Is it safe to assume Johnny test is in dire straits now? I can't seem to find it playing for several hours straight or hidden behind premier episodes so I'm hoping for the best.

I wish. It still gets at least 2 hours out of every day it seems.

I don't know how much blackmail that show's creator has over Cartoon Network execs, but it must be a shitload

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So I finished up that Dragons: Riders/Defenders of Berk spinoff of HTTYD. First season was pretty hit or miss, but the second was largely hit for me. Obviously they're dealing with TV budget CGI, but they still manage to get the character animation pretty spot on. I was hoping for some more serious storylines in line with the movie, but they found a decent balance of comedy and drama.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

That which is undead cannot die.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

So I finished up that Dragons: Riders/Defenders of Berk spinoff of HTTYD. First season was pretty hit or miss, but the second was largely hit for me. Obviously they're dealing with TV budget CGI, but they still manage to get the character animation pretty spot on. I was hoping for some more serious storylines in line with the movie, but they found a decent balance of comedy and drama.

I liked the psychotic teenage Viking who kept hinting to how he offed his father to gain the leadership of his tribe and offering Hiccup his help if he ever felt like stabbing his own dad in the back; it was entertainingly odd.

And I realise they would never have the budget to get Gerard Butler back, but...it's just not the same without him voicing a seven foot tall, stubborn, enormously bearded Chief of the Vikings. It's the role he was born to play, really.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really didn't like Riders and it took me till seeing the trailer for the second movie to notice Hiccup is missing a leg.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

I really didn't like Riders and it took me till seeing the trailer for the second movie to notice Hiccup is missing a leg.

Did you, uh, not see the first movie?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magnus Condomus posted:

Did you, uh, not see the first movie?

I didn't like it. To be fair I didn't watch it to the end, where I guess he loses his leg. I guess I should have kept my interest up I wonder how they pulled off that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wakfu Kickstarter Update;

The voice cast for the main characters (and Nox) has been announced;

(Characters are listed as they were in the e-mail)

Ruel: Hugo Chandor (Dad: Jim Henson's Dinosaur Train)
Amalia: Jessica Bell (Beth: St Trinian's 2)
Grovy: Ross Grant (Dr. Hunter: Emmerdale (!) )
Rubilax: Keir Stewart (Verious Sony Games, Invizimals being of note)
Evangeline and Hugo: Jules de Jongh (Faith: Mirror's Edge)
Nox: Arthur Bostrom (Officer Crabtree: 'Allo 'Allo (!) )

Of note is the fact that this is a British voice cast so my joking that geting the Dragon Quest 8 VA gang together for Wakfu wasn't that far off the mark.

The sets are still set for an October release for Kickstarter Backers.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 27, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tyson Hesse (Boxer Hockey) posted:

Somebody linked this the other day and said "count the whip-cracks" and I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8OlKStQt4

:psyduck:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I just came here to post this

i don't understand

what the gently caress

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is someone being S&M whipped in the background while they're recording for the show or something? Is the recording studio in a sex dungeon?

What the gently caress is with the whip noises every goddamn second? At first, I thought it was to match up with arm movement and to convey how fast they're jerking their arms to show anger.

Then I realized that's too deep for this show and it's actually pretty much every second.

What the gently caress is this?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It's actually less whip cracking than I remember.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly confident that this is a gag and the uploader is adding extra whip cracks

... please let it be a gag and the uploader is adding extra whip cracks :negative:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Show a little courtesy, post a trigger warning before linking a Johnny Test episode.

TwoPair posted:

I'm fairly confident that this is a gag and the uploader is adding extra whip cracks

... please let it be a gag and the uploader is adding extra whip cracks :negative:

I picked another episode at random and the frequency is just as ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBG8iBPKhqs

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 28, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED CANADA!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

I picked another episode at random and the frequency is just as ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBG8iBPKhqs

As I stated years ago in this very thread, Johnny Test makes me feel like the oldest man alive. I imagine that's how my parents viewed whatever I watched as a kid - "It's ugly, it's stupid, and above all else it's just so goddamn loud."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The theme song for Johnny test is a low rent version of green days American idiot

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

The theme song for Johnny test is a low rent version of green days American idiot

That makes sense

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Well Canada is just the low-rent version of America, in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Well poo poo begets poo poo, so I guess it's only appropriate.