Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It sounds like avenged sevenfold and limp bizkit joined forces to destroy the world.

Juggalo music. It's basically a genre, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

CAD, racism and TVTropes.

TV Tropes makes me a little sad because I really like the idea behind it, but the people running it just make all the wrong decisions.

Like allowing people to list fanfics in entries alongside literature, movies, music, and television as if they're just another form of media.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Christian music. I was raised Southern Baptist and around the time I turned 16 I went full retard with it. I refused to consume any secular media and I had this insane quest to find christian bands that sounded like popular bands at the time. They always ended up sounding terrible and off-brand, and it didn't help the bands I was wanting to really listen to were terrible to begin with.

First, let's talk about the ApologetiX. Think Weird Al, but worse, and christian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdtGMxD_Ggs

Then there were terrible metal bands like Disciple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHFOGIZjWzM

There was more, but I'm actually having trouble remembering a lot of it. Years of drinking and being a general "bad person" will do that.

I've actually lost a lot of friends who still buy into that stuff 100% and when I visit my parents and go to church they all look at me like they know how hard jesus is sending me to hell or something. Whatever, I'm gonna get wasted and play dark souls :unsmith:

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014
Blink 182. I was in 7th grade at the time and considered myself quite punk. My "punk" friends and I were completely obsessed; every inch of our rooms were plastered with Blink 182 poo poo.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I was in 6th grade. I thought Jar Jar Binks was funny. I also quite liked the awful Roland Emmerich Godzilla movie that came out around the same time.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I had never heard of Hollywood Undead until a year ago when my brother in law "introduced" it to me. He tries to make me listen to every dumb song he finds from them and I can't stand it. It sounds like avenged sevenfold and limp bizkit joined forces to destroy the world.

Hollywood Undead is awesome party music and I will fight anyone who disagrees :colbert:

e - I even saw them live a couple of years ago (co-headlining with Skindred, a British metal band with a Rasta frontman who wore a gold, sequined suit) and it was an awesome show full of chill people rocking out and drinking beers.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

Blink 182. I was in 7th grade at the time and considered myself quite punk. My "punk" friends and I were completely obsessed; every inch of our rooms were plastered with Blink 182 poo poo.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I was in 6th grade. I thought Jar Jar Binks was funny. I also quite liked the awful Roland Emmerich Godzilla movie that came out around the same time.

Blink 182 loving rules. :colbert: though, they are nearing 40 and still talking about getting caught masturbating by your parents.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
SA's moderation :(

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The Yu-Gi-Oh animated series. I am so, so sorry :cripes:

I still think that LittleKuriboh's Abridged Series is funny though, even if it does overuse stale internet memes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Piers Anthony ever wrote up until, oh, the late 80s or so. I bought it all, read it all. I still have some of those books on my shelf, actually, for nostalgia's sake if nothing else. Plus the vice principal of my junior high gave me one and he was a cool guy. (Thanks Mr. Pepe. I should have asked for something less lovely.)

At one point in my life, I would have told you that Chris Claremont was the best comics writer ever. I was actually excited when he came back to the X-Men in the '90s. Didn't take long for me to be disillusioned.

I liked the E.T. video game. No, honestly. It wasn't my favorite game ever or anything, but I would sit down and play it for fun.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Blink 182 loving rules. :colbert: though, they are nearing 40 and still talking about getting caught masturbating by your parents.

I agree with this guy, Dude Ranch is still one of my all time favorite albums of all time. I didn't like anything that came after Enema of The State though.

Blink was the first band I discovered all on my own before they started showing up on MTV and on the radio.

On topic, I went through a weird Nu Metal phase and I was really into bands like Korn, Powerman 5000 and Static X in middle school, I blame it on peer pressure because that's what all the kids I thought where cool listened to .

RadioactiveKid has a new favorite as of 02:12 on May 7, 2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Promoted Pawn posted:

TV Tropes makes me a little sad because I really like the idea behind it, but the people running it just make all the wrong decisions.

Like allowing people to list fanfics in entries alongside literature, movies, music, and television as if they're just another form of media.

It was a fun time-killer but the community really ruined the entire site. Like saying "no examples!" on pages for no discernable reason (aside from likely forum drama) when examples were the reason people read it in the first place! You knew which pages to avoid (anything anime) and when you were bored enough time flew by fast. But I like to think of it as what Wikipedia could have become in 2006 had they not clamped down on the sperglords who ensured "Overworld of Final Fantasy X" was the biggest page of them all. There are still sperglord admins there but are a lot more restrained than what came before.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
TVTropes. CTRL+ALT+DEL. Gaia Online (Jesus Christ Gaia Online).

I used to be in the Writer's Forum on Gaia, and hung out in the "Eleventy-One" which was the big chat thread that was helpfully titled READ THE STICKIES!!!111 (you can see where the name came from). I thought I was so special, being accepted by all these cool established people, and there were sigs and cliques and sooo much drama, which eventually tore the thread apart and everything got really lovely and I logged out one day, deleted the bookmarks, and never went back. The aspect of sharing writing with other people was really nice, though, and is the only thing I miss from those days. I also really loved dressing my avatar up but there's no shame in that. Stayed in contact with a few people but now I don't talk to anyone from there anymore. Five years of my life wasted there, but at least I didn't pay money for pixels.

Fanfiction. I would come up with story ideas and then go out of my way to try and keep all of the characters in-character. I even had one story with a Mary Sue wandering around "collecting" all the characters from the shows I watched. Thankfully one day I had the revelation that if I was spending that much effort on writing I might as well work on my original work.

An old friend who is actually a goon on here, who subjected me to months and months of emotional abuse. I stuck by him and another goon (both of whom I met on Gaia, lovely!) despite the torment they put me through because I didn't have any other friends at that time, online or off. :( Luckily he introduced me to some other people online who are really awesome and pretty much everyone kicked him to the curb when they saw how much of an rear end in a top hat he was to me. So, silver lining, I guess.

Anime. I still have a soft spot for Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, and a few others. (Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin may have been terrible, but luckily I have not revisited them to ruin the nostalgia.)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

RadioactiveKid posted:

I agree with this guy, Dude Ranch is still one of my all time favorite albums of all time. I didn't like anything that came after Enema of The State though.

Blink was the first band I discovered all on my own before they started showing up on MTV and on the radio.

On topic, I went through a weird Nu Metal phase and I was really into bands like Korn, Powerman 5000 and Static X in middle school, I blame it on peer pressure because that's what all the kids I thought where cool listened to .

We might be the same person. Yeah Korn and all those silly bands in middleschool. Then I found.... ska :[ but all my buds were big into death metal so I settled in on crust/hardcore - a fair medium.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

McDonalds. I don't loving know.

I still like their fries though. Whatever chemicals and ratshit and cardboard they put into their french fries they should keep doing it because they're delicious.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

Phrasing posted:

I still like their fries though. Whatever chemicals and ratshit and cardboard they put into their french fries they should keep doing it because they're delicious.

:ssh:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/05/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nine Inch Nails. Took me a while to catch on to what a pretentious gently caress Trent Renzor and his music is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phrasing posted:

Supposedly they were even more delicious and addicting back when they used to fry them in beef tallow.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

EmmyOk posted:

No he was overflowing with Wizard gift which naturally made him good at everything! Richard's a well-crafted character! I always liked that the D'Harans were pure evil in the first book but then once Richard was their King it turned out they were actually really nice guys. Did you ever finish the series?

I gave up after the one where we follow some boring girl and a serial killer around for like 700 pages. Even my fragile teenage mind knew that was bullshit. I actually do kind of want to finish it one day.

And yeah, I remember the first couple books were all BRUTAL D'HARANS RAPE EVERYONE and then later it was all look! They sang a nice song at our wedding!

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I liked nu-metal something fierce in high school (about 15 years ago). I recently revisited some of those bands on YouTube and felt a sense of shame that is almost unfathomable.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Like everyone, I used to love lovely nu-metal. From my memories of TRL, so did the rest of the generation, though we all look back with post-coital shame, or become Tapout fans.

I also used to hate rap, but I now realize that was merely the trickle-down effect of my parents' racism and I love rap now. (Protip: If you don't like rap but do like nerdcore rap then it's because you're racist as hell)

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thinky Whale posted:

The books remain massively entertaining, because they aren't restrained by the shackles of lesser men like "good taste" or "making a lick of sense." The thing is, it takes a weirdly long time to catch on, because a lot of it fits into the usual mold of goofy fantasy cliche, so you're totally fine with a guy from humble roots becoming a master swordsman and the greatest wizard in the world and being the big evil guy's son and ruling a kingdom and being a master artisan the first time he tries and then he carves a statue that makes everybody who sees it reject communism.

I read all of these lovely books when I was a clueless kid up until the one where Goodkind devoted the better part of a thousand pages to how much his mary sue hated poor people, up to and including killing them. Even as a stupid teenager I knew I was done.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The Beatles. Aside from a few gems, they are pretty much a proto-boy band. Most of their songs are cheesy, and who the hell let Ringo write songs?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I go ridiculously into jrock, especially visual kei, for a while as a teenager. I was part of LJ fanclubs for bands and I spent a ton of time looking up translated lyrics and information. I also had a friend who was really close internet buddies with someone who claimed that they were friends with Gackt and 14 year old us totally bought it. We would send her dumb questions and bitch about how we couldn't get paypal accounts so we could send her money to live on or to buy and ship us out stuff. Thank god for that because I blew more than enough of my hard earned money on merchandise and CDs. So, so much money that I should have saved for college. :smith:

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

Forceholy posted:

The Beatles. Aside from a few gems, they are pretty much a proto-boy band. Most of their songs are cheesy, and who the hell let Ringo write songs?
You do realize that Ringo only had a handful of songwriting credits while he was in The Beatles, and only two of those credits were entire songs, don't you?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

remember that two-year period where we collectively let Carlos Mencia get away with living and breathing

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

You do realize that Ringo only had a handful of songwriting credits while he was in The Beatles, and only two of those credits were entire songs, don't you?

And those two songs are catchy as hell.

But seriously, The loving Beatles don't belong in this thread. It's ok if you personally don't like them but I've never heard a single person describe them as terrible outside of a few totally edgy as gently caress kids that I knew as a teenager.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Devil Wears Wings posted:

But seriously, The loving Beatles don't belong in this thread. It's ok if you personally don't like them but I've never heard a single person describe them as terrible.

And they are not even anything close to a "boy band". You want a pre-fab, corporate band, start with The Monkees (who also had some catchy tunes).

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Nobody has mentioned HIM and pentaheart tattoos, yet. But of course everyone who has one/listens to them was totally into HIM before CKY.

cname has a new favorite as of 15:06 on May 8, 2014

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Squirrel Burger posted:

remember that two-year period where we collectively let Carlos Mencia get away with living and breathing

A couple months ago he was on a local radio station to promote his act. It was basically "Indian people have funny accents" and something about peanut allergies being a sign of the pussification of kids?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Fooley posted:

A couple months ago he was on a local radio station to promote his act. It was basically "Indian people have funny accents" and something about peanut allergies being a sign of the pussification of kids?

I can't even imagine how terrible that must have been.

"Kids these days, am I right? In my day we suffered through anaphylaxis and we loved it!"

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

But seriously, The loving Beatles don't belong in this thread. It's ok if you personally don't like them but I've never heard a single person describe them as terrible outside of a few totally edgy as gently caress kids that I knew as a teenager.

Mister Kingdom posted:

And they are not even anything close to a "boy band". You want a pre-fab, corporate band, start with The Monkees (who also had some catchy tunes).
And I agree with both of you. ;) I was implying how idiotic the other poster's insult was.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Squirrel Burger posted:

I also used to hate rap, but I now realize that was merely the trickle-down effect of my parents' racism and I love rap now. (Protip: If you don't like rap but do like nerdcore rap then it's because you're racist as hell)
I like rap, but like my love of Country, the dumber the lyrics, the more I enjoy the song. In da Club? Boring. Slacker? Ehh. Freaky Thangs? Sure! Grape Drank? Hell. Yes.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

cname posted:

Nobody has mentioned HIM and pentaheart tattoos, yet. But of course everyone who has one/listens to them was totally into HIM before CKY.

The other day, I saw a car covered with that stupid symbol and purple flames. Who was drivin it? Not some dumbass teens. No, two full-grown rear end women. It was terrible.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Nightwish. Oh, how I used to love that band back when I was 12 and 13. I thought the music was so incredibly deep and much better than what the "normals" listened to because of the use of symphony instruments and the dark lyrics.

I tried listening to their albums again some days back, and at some songs I just couldn't stop laughing. Sure, I'll admit that some of the songs are okay(Amaranth is still a pretty cute song), but most of them are just hilariously bad. The songwriter looks and writes as a hopelessly in love MRA goon. I mean, look at this:

"Running for her life
The dark rain from her eyes still falls
Breathtaking butterfly
Chose a dark day to live

Save one breath for me!

A loner longing for
The cadence of her last breath."

At the last album they released, I realized how bad they actually are. They often include album epics with songs lasting over 10 minutes, and the last album epic they did had about 5 minutes of horrible poetry with comedy gold quotes such as this:
"An old man gets naked and kisses a model-doll in his attic
It's half-light and he's in tears.
When he finally comes his eyes are cascading."

"An obese girl enters an elevator with me.
All dressed up fancy, a green butterfly on her neck.
Terribly sweeet perfume deafens me.
She's going to dinner alone.
That makes her even more beautiful."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

gently caress you for reminding me of Nightwish. I used to think "Dead Boy's Poem" was so loving deep and sad.

I wish somebody had grabbed me at 13 and made me listen to None So Vile. If I could go back in time that's what I'd do. Set young me straight on metal.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mister Kingdom posted:

Their first couple of albums were totally boy band. Their films? Mostly on par with Spiceworld. They were a bunch of kids from the north who sold out until they had enough cash and clout to ditch their Svengali and do as they liked.

Unlike the goddamn Monkees, they had the talent to do so, unlike the goddamn Monkees, who were still playing The Last Train to loving Clarksville 25+ years later at county fairs and depressing Indian casinos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

John Big Booty posted:

Their first couple of albums were totally boy band. Their films? Mostly on par with Spiceworld. They were a bunch of kids from the north who sold out until they had enough cash and clout to ditch their Svengali and do as they liked.

Their first couple of albums were pretty much standard rock music fare of the time - boy loves girl type stuff. Same goes for the movies.

Sell outs?

John Lennon posted:

I'll wear a suit; I'll wear a bloody balloon if somebody's going to pay me.

They were always about the money, especially in the beginning. Epstein told them the only way to get on TV was to clean up their image. Oh, look, it worked.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

That's not too bad. I used to be a militant atheist when I was 16. So much regret. Star Wars Phantom menace at least had a good soundtrack.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Stalins Moustache posted:

Nightwish. Oh, how I used to love that band back when I was 12 and 13. I thought the music was so incredibly deep and much better than what the "normals" listened to because of the use of symphony instruments and the dark lyrics.

I tried listening to their albums again some days back, and at some songs I just couldn't stop laughing. Sure, I'll admit that some of the songs are okay(Amaranth is still a pretty cute song), but most of them are just hilariously bad. The songwriter looks and writes as a hopelessly in love MRA goon. I mean, look at this:

"Running for her life
The dark rain from her eyes still falls
Breathtaking butterfly
Chose a dark day to live

Save one breath for me!

A loner longing for
The cadence of her last breath."

At the last album they released, I realized how bad they actually are. They often include album epics with songs lasting over 10 minutes, and the last album epic they did had about 5 minutes of horrible poetry with comedy gold quotes such as this:
"An old man gets naked and kisses a model-doll in his attic
It's half-light and he's in tears.
When he finally comes his eyes are cascading."

"An obese girl enters an elevator with me.
All dressed up fancy, a green butterfly on her neck.
Terribly sweeet perfume deafens me.
She's going to dinner alone.
That makes her even more beautiful."

I liked them when Tarja was the singer. I still think some of the tunes are pretty decent, but the lyrics have always been horrible and stupid, and Tarja's diction was so poor that you couldn't make them out, so you could just listen to the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

gently caress you for reminding me of Nightwish. I used to think "Dead Boy's Poem" was so loving deep and sad.

I wish somebody had grabbed me at 13 and made me listen to None So Vile. If I could go back in time that's what I'd do. Set young me straight on metal.

I'm not sure many 13-year-olds can handle Lord Worm.

• Locked thread