Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

SaltLick posted:

I can't quite remember but was there an episode where his doctor actually died? I liked Ricky Gervais as his doctor.

No but when he said Ricky Gervais died I found it really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mcbexx posted:

Holy poo poo Charles Grodin got old.

:aaa:

You just blew my loving mind, I had absolutely no idea that that was Charles Grodin. But he was really good as Doctor That Doesn't Give a gently caress.

Anyway, this season's still looking great. The first one wasn't all that good, but the second was some of the funniest television I've ever seen. Louie can die harder (on purpose) than any comedian out there, and it's amazing every time. I had to actually look away from the screen it was so uncomfortable.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

King Vidiot posted:

:aaa:

You just blew my loving mind, I had absolutely no idea that that was Charles Grodin. But he was really good as Doctor That Doesn't Give a gently caress.

Louie has the best guest stars. David Lynch was the guest appearance to end all guest appearances, but Grodin was excellent. I had no idea that was Charles Grodin either. Looking at his IMDB page, it looks like he is making a comeback of sorts after 20 years of retirement.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

James R posted:

It sounded like she said something through laughter along the lines of 'God why am I wet'?!

I know at one point she said (through laughter), "I love you so much!" But I could be wrong!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is a silly thing to notice but I feel like that was the same house from Sherlock.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This is probably my favorite show right now, and the long hiatus seems like it really paid off. Both of those episodes were fantastic, and I can really relate to a lot of it, particularly the garbagemen bit. That just absolutely nails what it's like to live in an apartment in a city. Such a great way to start the season.

The Maroon Ninja
Sep 19, 2005

Olmeethee, Woolyaayen, Onthecanabeedum
dumbarroomdingum
Dear AIDS: ... Cut it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually thought "Wait, that can't be Charles Grodin, can it?" I thought it was just someone who looked just like him.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Oh my god that punch to the face. I loving knew someone bad was going to happen and that was the best. loving Louie can't win :negative:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Louie slipping on the water left behind by the astronaut's daughter absolutely slayed me. I think because Louie doesn't follow any sort of formula, when he hits you with slapstick it comes out of nowhere.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

redweird posted:

Louie slipping on the water left behind by the astronaut's daughter absolutely slayed me. I think because Louie doesn't follow any sort of formula, when he hits you with slapstick it comes out of nowhere.

That's what I like about his slapstick: the absurdist bent.

When he was in the coffee shop talking to his friend about his kid and that one young dude texting just walked into Louie and kept on walking without looking up? Hilarious. Especially Louie's annoyed, but resigned reaction.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

nutranurse posted:

When he was in the coffee shop talking to his friend about his kid and that one young dude texting just walked into Louie and kept on walking without looking up? Hilarious. Especially Louie's annoyed, but resigned reaction.

It killed me when he just sort of paused for a second, and helped push the guy along while still listening and nodding.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Rewatching the eps and lol, he still has the shirt he mentioned in Shameless seven years ago. Also I want that shirt.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

nutranurse posted:

This is the kind of thing I love the most about this show. Just these little things that are slight exaggerations of real life situations.

Also any time Todd Barry is on, it's the absolute best. "Your kids suck. I hate them. When I saw them, I drew little pictures of them and ripped them up in front of them." And this is just a casual conversation over coffee. Incredible.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Also any time Todd Barry is on, it's the absolute best. "Your kids suck. I hate them. When I saw them, I drew little pictures of them and ripped them up in front of them." And this is just a casual conversation over coffee. Incredible.

God yes.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

nutranurse posted:

I didn't notice the first time watching that scene, but literally every extra in the background is silently staring down at their phone. Nobody looks up.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Every single person in the coffee shop was on their phone and not moving or speaking in the background. it was great, reminded me of the bit where louie is hungover and goes to the coffee place and everyone's speaking nonsense

e: poo poo^

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jerry Seinfeld was so great as a complete rear end in a top hat who somehow still came across as being justified in how fed up he was with Louie's poo poo, even though he'd set him up to fail so spectacularly. I don't care if it was deliberate or just that Jerry is so detached from the real world now that he didn't see how terrible he was being, either way just works.

"So you slept with a rich girl you don't know and punched her in the face and now you want me to come down there and get my name in the middle of this story? You really see that happening, Louie?"

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I just love how happy he was at the end... he's telling this horrible story about how he's forever in debt to these people and his life is effectively ruined, but his misfortune made the girl (who'd rejected him earlier) laugh :buddy:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

beanieson posted:

I just love how happy he was at the end... he's telling this horrible story about how he's forever in debt to these people and his life is effectively ruined, but his misfortune made the girl (who'd rejected him earlier) laugh :buddy:
"You need to stop asking people out", ha ha ha. I can only imagine how monotonous it would feel to still be asking everyone around you out at age 46.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It reminded me of that one bit he did about being so broke that it just starts to become funny.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've found some of the extremely overt surrealism in Louie goes a little too far - like the garbagemen in that first ep this season, his car getting crushed in the first ep of S3. The tension's taken out of the joke a little bit.

The better examples were almost plausible, but extremely disorienting - like the kids with the weird hats in Road Trip and the homeless guy charging at him and getting decapitated. It's not so much "reality sucks", but "am I actually interpreting reality from a sane perspective?"

Also hilarious - when the situation is overt fantasy, like the "American women are very complicated" sequence when Louie tries (and fails) to masturbate.

And the one I was laughing about in the shower today for some reason - "Is that the same dog?" from the (incredible) weed sequence in S1.

EDIT: Also not sure why I think the phone thing was sort of blah but the people speaking gibberish from a few seasons ago was loving funny. Maybe because for the gibberish, you ask "Is he crazy for not understanding, or are they crazy for talking that way?" And the phone thing is just sort of a dig against modern behavior.

EDIT2: Maybe what I like about the show is how it deals with that constant sense of - am I doing something wrong? Always?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 7, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The first episode was okay, although I really wish they didn't do another poker table scene and overall it seemed kinda generic. But the second episode is a classic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mutation posted:

The first episode was okay, although I really wish they didn't do another poker table scene and overall it seemed kinda generic. But the second episode is a classic.

I liked it, but it was strange that that was the scene he chose to revisit, after he said something like this once (badly paraphrased): "One episode opens up with us playing poker, and people are going to be thinking 'so every episode opens up with him and his buddies playing poker?' but I don't want to rehash things over and over, so it never comes up again." So I enjoyed the meta-ness of the whole poker thing.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
They revisited it before in Season 3 for the father episode, but in that case it worked out great because you're thinking "Oh I guess they're going to have another neat or insightful conversation" and instead it's cut short because Louie's vomiting on everything.

But in this case it's just... Another poker scene.

That first episode was kinda like that a lot, sort of just rehashing old concepts: Poker scene, rear end in a top hat doctor, awkwardly asking store employees for sex things.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 7, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mutation posted:

They revisited it before in Season 3 for the father episode, but in that case it worked out great because you're thinking "Oh I guess they're going to have another neat or insightful conversation" and instead it's cut short because Louie's vomiting on everything.

But in this case it's just... Another poker scene.

That first episode was kinda like that a lot, sort of just rehashing old concepts: Poker scene, rear end in a top hat doctor, awkwardly asking store employees for sex things.

Well, in this case the poker scene was to setup the bigger joke and narrative of Louie trying to buy a vibrator for himself, then becoming ashamed when he actually tries, then he hurts his back because he's getting old, and eventually is recommended a vibrator by the doctor's secretary, but he doesn't use the vibrator to masturbate, but to massage his aching back because he's getting old.

I think the poker scene was more than worth it just for that eventual punchline. It's cool to see a joke carried throughout an entire show in a subtle, but funny way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

nutranurse posted:

...but he doesn't use the vibrator to masturbate, but to massage his aching back because he's getting old.

Are you sure about that? Because at the end he's kind of sheepishly looking around his apartment, like he's making sure if he hears the kids awake or not. I think the implication is that the receptionist gave him the excuse he needed to buy a vibrator without actually buying "a vibrator". The back pain part was just incidental, and it's an added bonus that it relieves his back pain.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Are you sure about that? Because at the end he's kind of sheepishly looking around his apartment, like he's making sure if he hears the kids awake or not. I think the implication is that the receptionist gave him the excuse he needed to buy a vibrator without actually buying "a vibrator". The back pain part was just incidental, and it's an added bonus that it relieves his back pain.

:shrug: It's left vague so we could go either way, really.

Knowing louie he'd use the vibrator to massage both his dick and back.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The doctor's advice, in a roundabout way, was to live life to its fullest for as long as he can, and that means Louie's gonna massage his dick with a vibrator if he wants to, dammit

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They made sure to point out that it was a Magic Wand, a very well known vibrator.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mutation posted:

Wasn't that kind of the point, though? Every scene was a rehash of something Louie has done before, but set in a kind of heightened reality. Garbagemen don't actually crash through your windows, people don't masturbate 8 times a day in their 40s and little old ladies with walkers don't lift strange fat men off the street.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

Jerry Seinfeld was so great as a complete rear end in a top hat who somehow still came across as being justified in how fed up he was with Louie's poo poo, even though he'd set him up to fail so spectacularly. I don't care if it was deliberate or just that Jerry is so detached from the real world now that he didn't see how terrible he was being, either way just works.

It's worth noting that Dane Cook came off as less of an rear end in a top hat in his cameo than Jerry Seinfeld. :psyduck:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It felt like "hey, remember what Louie's like, guys? It's been a while since this show has been on, so here's what I typically do"... before structuring the rest of the season as very atypical Louie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

It's worth noting that Dane Cook came off as less of an rear end in a top hat in his cameo than Jerry Seinfeld. :psyduck:

Jerry's kind of a huge rear end in a top hat anyway though. Have you never watched Seinfeld?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Irish Joe posted:

Wasn't that kind of the point, though? Every scene was a rehash of something Louie has done before, but set in a kind of heightened reality. Garbagemen don't actually crash through your windows, people don't masturbate 8 times a day in their 40s and little old ladies with walkers don't lift strange fat men off the street.
Yeah, but it was material that was already done on the show. It was fun, but nothing really new. The second episode was amazing though.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It felt like "hey, remember what Louie's like, guys? It's been a while since this show has been on, so here's what I typically do"... before structuring the rest of the season as very atypical Louie.
The official plot synopsis for the first episode was "Louie has a typical day." And that really fit the episode. It felt like a warm up after a long hiatus.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 7, 2014

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I enjoyed Louie doing the Beatles.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love when Louie gets surrealistic. Everything from overt poo poo like the weird parking sign, the garbagemen, and the girl taking off in a helicopter, all the way to the really subtle ones like newsanchors having names like Fappy Howserton.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

King Vidiot posted:

It reminded me of that one bit he did about being so broke that it just starts to become funny.

What is this bit from?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I love when Louie gets surrealistic. Everything from overt poo poo like the weird parking sign, the garbagemen, and the girl taking off in a helicopter, all the way to the really subtle ones like newsanchors having names like Fappy Howserton.

I love the episode where he sees the hobo get replaced by Men In Black with an identical hobo, though nothing quite compares to the screaming hobo whose head fell off while Louie was on the way to a date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pamela Adlon is still getting a consulting producer credit on this. Is that just a legacy thing like EP credits can be, or does she still do occasional work for the show?

I'm still a little bummed her character is gone forever.

• Locked thread