Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Amusing GM recall this moning.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/08/2014-chevy-malibu-buick-lacrosse-recall-brake-issue-report/

They managed to deliver thousands of cars with the rear brakes installed in the front. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they are rare but around.........here is one from Bimmerfest in SoCal doin' manly man towin' stuff with his "truck".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/08/2014-chevy-malibu-buick-lacrosse-recall-brake-issue-report/

They managed to deliver thousands of cars with the rear brakes installed in the front. :911:
Seriously. How the gently caress did GM survive the last 10 years?
Oh, yeah. They didn't. Remind me again about "too big to fail".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Never change, GM, never change.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So if you had the money is there actually an incentive to buy a BMW, Merc or Audi new? It seems anyone who wants a new one leases, and anyone who wants to own one buys it used when the lease expires. I suppose constantly leasing a new BMW is better than buying one and trading in when the next one comes out. I bet the lease adds up to be about the same as the depreciation of the car with a sizable margin on top. From a pure cost perspective there's little point in owning one past warranty since repairs and parts cost the same as if it was new, only now it's like 5-6 years old.

While we're here, I tried to picture which of the German cars I would have bought if I was rich. I came out with the RS5, M3, S4 and 335xi. All of these are gussied up versions of the volume models. If you really had money to throw around are there even better alternatives than these? The M6 comes to mind.

\/\/\/\/ Probably a stupid question but what is the difference between the SLK and SL? I've never been able to figure it out. It's too bad they don't have one of those in coupe form. I hate convertibles.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 9, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If I were rich, and I were restricted to buying as-is (no aftermarket modification/customization) I wouldn't say no to the SLK 55 AMG. :getin:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

\/\/\/\/ Probably a stupid question but what is the difference between the SLK and SL? I've never been able to figure it out. It's too bad they don't have one of those in coupe form. I hate convertibles.

SLK is smaller. I believe the K stands for klein (small) or something like that. See also GL vs GLK, CL vs CLK

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

So if you had the money is there actually an incentive to buy a BMW, Merc or Audi new? It seems anyone who wants a new one leases, and anyone who wants to own one buys it used when the lease expires. I suppose constantly leasing a new BMW is better than buying one and trading in when the next one comes out. I bet the lease adds up to be about the same as the depreciation of the car with a sizable margin on top. From a pure cost perspective there's little point in owning one past warranty since repairs and parts cost the same as if it was new, only now it's like 5-6 years old.
While we're here, I tried to picture which of the German cars I would have bought if I was rich. I came out with the RS5, M3, S4 and 335xi. All of these are gussied up versions of the volume models. If you really had money to throw around are there even better alternatives than these? The M6 comes to mind.

A lot of folks lease mostly because they want a new car every 3 years and with the deals BMW gives them it's worth it for them. BMW also will toss in "pull ahead" program incentives to get your currently leased car back early. I have never leased but wouldn't definitely consider it next time.

The problem with the 3 year old formerly leased cars is a lot of dealers ask way too much for them and it's easier and not much more to just order a new one.

You can routinely get 7% off MSRP or $500-$1,000 over invoice on ordering a new BMW. If you add in the loyalty and various other incentives you can get it up to 10% off pretty quickly. Then if you are in the BMW Car Club they mail you a check for $1,000 a month or so later.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fucknag posted:

If I were rich, and I were restricted to buying as-is (no aftermarket modification/customization) I wouldn't say no to the SLK 55 AMG. :getin:

AMG e63 estate for me. Mmm mmm, bitch.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

So if you had the money is there actually an incentive to buy a BMW, Merc or Audi new?

There is no reason whatsoever. I did a big long effort post in the BFC forum showing how leasing is always better than buying.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=143660#post368677717

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Throatwarbler posted:

Relatively speaking I rarely see X6s or GTs outside of China. The X6 alone must be making a hefty dent in the US trade deficit with China because that's where most of them are probably being sold.

They are all over Vancouver/Richmond, the cars seem tailor made to the Chinese, not sure what it is about them that they like though.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

There is no reason whatsoever. I did a big long effort post in the BFC forum showing how leasing is always better than buying.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=143660#post368677717

Wow. Now I feel like an idiot for putting 60% down on a Mazda 3 and financing the rest.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Fucknag posted:

It's a really fun car. I look at what I'd want to buy next and I can't think of anything not a supercar that I'd trade it for. Probably going to keep it for a really long time. Maybe put a supercharger on it if I ever get bored with the power.

Also, if for some reason I absolutely had to have an SUV like vehicle, I think I'd probably go with an X6M.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Voltage posted:

I saw someone roll up to the laundromat in a fully decked out brand spankin new 550i GT on rims, just thought it was a funny juxtaposition. Can't afford a place with a washing machine, but a $900/mo lease? No biggie.

I just seriously don't get the sheer amount of cars BMW has now - especially the new 4 series gran coupe. So a 4 door version of the 2 door version of the 4 door version. Right.

A year ago, I lived in an upscale apartment building downtown. I was in the cheapest apartment they had ($1100/mo), and they went as high as $3k/mo. This is in Buffalo, so not exactly an expensive area. None of the apartments had washing machines, and most of the cars in the parking lot were expensive. Most people in the building wore dry clean only stuff for the most part and had a service pick up their underwear and casual clothes.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

sanchez posted:

The X1 is the cheapest car BMW sells in the US and it shows, no idea what the people who buy them are thinking. A 3 series is in the same ballpark and looks a whole lot better.

Seriously look at this thing

My inlaws impulse bought one when they first showed up in the U.S. They had one as a rental in Europe and really liked it, so what the heck, right? Except theirs has zero options and isn't a diesel, like their rental, and feels smaller than their other car, a Jetta Sportwagen. It also feels gutless, but hey, it's a BMW, right?

Yeah, that's a wagon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DropShadow posted:

Yeah, that's a wagon.

"crossover"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Either way it look terrible next to the normal version

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

AMG e63 estate for me. Mmm mmm, bitch.

Citroën C5 3.0 HDI wagon, fully loaded. Or a C6, I guess.

Shut up and let me indulge my weird French fantasies, OK?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

Relatively speaking I rarely see X6s or GTs outside of China. The X6 alone must be making a hefty dent in the US trade deficit with China because that's where most of them are probably being sold.
I guess it depends on where you live. X6s are just about as common as X5s around here.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

D C posted:

They are all over Vancouver/Richmond, the cars seem tailor made to the Chinese, not sure what it is about them that they like though.

As a general rule the Chinese have awful taste. Just tell them it costs more and paint it white. SOLD!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I give you the BMW M6 "Year of the Horse" edition made for China at a reasonable $458,000.

http://jalopnik.com/bmw-to-sell-discreet-458-000-year-of-the-horse-m6-in-1512314003

If you don't own your own factory of slaves you can get the budget M5 Horsie edition for only $327,000. :horse:

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Wow. Now I feel like an idiot for putting 60% down on a Mazda 3 and financing the rest.

With historically low interest rates there's little reason to ever put more down then you have too.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I want to lease my next car for multiple reasons, but the problem is it's so much harder to figure out a 'good deal' on a lease. The lease process FEELS so much less consumer friendly that it makes me lean towards purchase.

I do tend to keep my cars for a long time though also. Right now I'm driving a 10+ year old Civic. I'll probably get a fairly well spec'd VW GTI. What things should I be trying to accomplish in the lease to make sure I don't get ripped off.

With a purchase I know with my good credit I can get a good interest rate, put down whatever $$ amount is required [usually enough to avoid GAP insurance] and just make payments for 66 months until the car is all mine.

What things should I be looking at with a lease? How do I educate myself on market conditions for leases?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tijag posted:

I want to lease my next car for multiple reasons, but the problem is it's so much harder to figure out a 'good deal' on a lease. The lease process FEELS so much less consumer friendly that it makes me lean towards purchase.

I do tend to keep my cars for a long time though also. Right now I'm driving a 10+ year old Civic. I'll probably get a fairly well spec'd VW GTI. What things should I be trying to accomplish in the lease to make sure I don't get ripped off.

With a purchase I know with my good credit I can get a good interest rate, put down whatever $$ amount is required [usually enough to avoid GAP insurance] and just make payments for 66 months until the car is all mine.

What things should I be looking at with a lease? How do I educate myself on market conditions for leases?

there's a whole thread in that post you quoted dude

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tijag posted:

In addition to Throatwarbler's excellent post linked previously, I too spent drat near 2 hours of my life on a big effort post about leasing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=418852871&forumid=158

If you still have questions after reading those resources, please ask a specific question in the AI meets BFC thread, we will be more than happy to answer your questions to the best of our ability.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's a whole thread in that post you quoted dude

I did not see some sort of explanation in that link. The poster seems very pro lease, and I think there is some merit to the point. I'm just trying to get like a bullet list of how to approach/understand my lease.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Find a good spreadsheet lease calculator. Almost every brand forum (BMW, VW, etc) have leasing/financing forums.

Also: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

Most recommendations say to pay little or no "cap cost reductions" and max out the "multiple security deposits" that you will get back in full. Know what your manufacturer's "money factors" are what the "residual" is for the car you are looking at and what the typical "acquisition and delivery fees" are. Key is to negotiate all of those items after you've made an "invoice plus $500" price. Dealers do poo poo like mark up the money factor from .0013 to .00145 to weeze you so be aware.

typical lease post on BMW board....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691732

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2014

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

Find a good spreadsheet lease calculator. Almost every brand forum (BMW, VW, etc) have leasing/financing forums.

Also: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

Most recommendations say to pay little or no "cap cost reductions" and max out the "multiple security deposits" that you will get back in full. Know what your manufacturer's "money factors" are what the "residual" is for the car you are looking at and what the typical "acquisition and delivery fees" are. Key is to negotiate all of those items after you've made an "invoice plus $500" price. Dealers do poo poo like mark up the money factor from .0013 to .00145 to weeze you so be aware.

typical lease post on BMW board....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691732

That money factor seems really high. With interest rates so low on new car purchases right now I was expecting like .0008 to .00105?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
just a few basic metrics for understanding how money down (cap cost reduction) will change the payment. On a 36 month lease you will typically see ~$30/mo for every $1,000 in cap cost reduction.

If you look at the manufacturers advertised lease deal there will usually be a few thousand in cap cost reduction noted in the fine print. This allows you to take their advertised monthly payment (lets say $199/mo) and the required ccr (lets say $1999). Now you can take that ~$2k down and convert it to $60/mo more giving you $259/mo. The manufacturer lease deal generally isn't any sort of special deal. They don't dictate what a dealer does with their margin so you should be able to assume that the payment was calculated at MSRP.

Now you have a base to start with for your lease. If you know how much dealers are willing to discount cars for purchases you can now apply those discounts to your lease. If you know that there is $1,000 of wiggle room in the car you will know that you should be able to negotiate the lease down to somewhere near $229/mo with just your tax, dmv, and 1st month payment up front.

It won't be as exact as if you had all the lease variables that the dealer has as well as the exact price a dealer would be willing to go to on price. But it can help you do some quick and dirty math to make sure you don't end up leasing a car at a price that makes the salesmans week.

This is also very important if you add more variables such as a trade in with positive or negative equity or any additional rebates that the dealer tries to hide for themselves.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
One of my coworkers just bought a new Lexus GS350. It's been a while since I've sat in a Lexus, but is it just me or is the interior quality miles ahead of the 5-series?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

One of my coworkers just bought a new Lexus GS350. It's been a while since I've sat in a Lexus, but is it just me or is the interior quality miles ahead of the 5-series?

Lexus have never had a problem making comfy, well put together interiors. Their problem has been with trying to make a car that won't put the driver to sleep from boredom.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

SLK is smaller. I believe the K stands for klein (small) or something like that. See also GL vs GLK, CL vs CLK

Close, but the K actually means Kurz (short) :eng101:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't disagree with anything you wrote except that it was in a thread named "BFC meets AI"

I feel like 60-80% of AI drive used cars we picked up on the cheap and fixed up because cars are an expensive hobby, making most AIers poor, but knowing a lot about them means you can get a good deal, which makes it not matter.

But it's a great post for people who aren't into various amounts of rehabbing worthwhile older cars.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

I think this and skipdogg's post are some of the most useful in AI and I've had them bookmarked for whenever people ask me about leasing. Thanks guys.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

I would agree, the new Lexus interiors are really very good, not that they were particularly bad before, and by all accounts if you read the various reviews, the new Lexuses drive better than the new BMWs too. We're in a bizzaro world now where BMW is softening the handling of their cars in order to cater to (Chinese?) tastes, while Lexus and Cadillac now make the best handling sport sedans on the market.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I would agree, the new Lexus interiors are really very good, not that they were particularly bad before, and by all accounts if you read the various reviews, the new Lexuses drive better than the new BMWs too. We're in a bizzaro world now where BMW is softening the handling of their cars in order to cater to (Chinese?) tastes, while Lexus and Cadillac now make the best handling sport sedans on the market.

Would that include the new IS350?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The new IS350 beat out the 335i in a C/D comparo last year. Maybe Lexus handed them a bigger money sack, or maybe BMW has lost sight of its old priorities.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Throatwarbler posted:

Always is a pretty strong word. If you read further in the thread you posted to, you got into a debate with a guy who, in my opinion, showed that unless you rate your own "opportunity cost" at a pretty high rate, buying is usually a better deal from a strictly financial standpoint. The easiest way to explain opportunity cost is that you can pay an extra $500 a month to pay off your A8 early, or you can invest that $500 a month in the stock market and make 8%/year on it. Since your loan on the Audi is 1.9%, you would be "making" 1.9% on the $500 by paying it into the loan (because you're not losing that 1.9%) versus 8% in your exclusive market fund that requires a net worth of $10m to buy into. Obviously you let the loan play out and invest in the market since it's such a better rate. The difference between the 1.9% loan payoff and your most excellent 8% stock market gain is the opportunity cost of paying down on the car. Please note I've simplified the gently caress out of this and I'm sure many of you have a better understanding of it than I do.

With a lease, the "interest" and whatever other costs you are paying are there to eliminate the uncertainty of residual value and the effort of selling your own car. These things have worth, to be sure, but that varies person-to-person. And when you can get a 0% loan, which is the case on many non-luxury brands, it makes a lot more sense to buy over lease.

I was very intrigued by the post, and found I could lease a Porsche Cayman GTS for about $350 a month which is incredibly tempting. But then after three years I'd either have to get another lease at less favorable terms since I no longer have a trade-in, buy a car also without a trade in, or buy out my Cayman for what's likely somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k. Looks great right now; not so great in three years. I'm essentially fooling myself for three years into thinking my car cost less than it actually did. Then reality sets in and I have no car and my $350 a month will get me a lower-tier luxury car lease or buy me a loving Camry. I'm not going from an S2000 to a Cayman to a Camry.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I find all this information very interesting but I just want to interject to your point above to say that it sounds like the problem with the Cayman situation is that you can't afford a Cayman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I was very intrigued by the post, and found I could lease a Porsche Cayman GTS for about $350 a month which is incredibly tempting. But then after three years I'd either have to get another lease at less favorable terms since I no longer have a trade-in, buy a car also without a trade in, or buy out my Cayman for what's likely somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k. Looks great right now; not so great in three years. I'm essentially fooling myself for three years into thinking my car cost less than it actually did. Then reality sets in and I have no car and my $350 a month will get me a lower-tier luxury car lease or buy me a loving Camry. I'm not going from an S2000 to a Cayman to a Camry.
The key with *anything* is to buy less than you can afford. If you can lease the Cayman and still put aside $500 a month for the downpayment and/or buyout and/or whatever for the next vehicle, you are fine. If the only reason you can afford the Cayman lease is the upfront cost being paid for by your current vehicle, you can't afford the Cayman.

Also, damnit Ford. Give us the final details on the 2015 Mustang.