Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont know about 42" but cnet tested abunch of larger tv's

http://www.cnet.com/news/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zorilla posted:

We use a 37" 1080p set at work for presentations, and it actually looks pretty great when configured properly, but here are some of the pitfalls you could run into when trying to use a TV as a monitor:

• Scan range. This could result in the picture getting cut off at the edges and cause text to blur since the picture is being scaled up slightly. Many of the Samsung TVs I've messed with have a setting in the OSD menu called "Just Scan" that will enable a 1:1 pixel ratio and will stop this.
  • 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 Chroma sub-sampling. This degrades text readability and overall color resolution. See if your TV has a "PC Mode", which may enable 4:4:4 sampling (and perhaps some other options to make it more usable as a monitor).
  • BT.709 color space being used instead of sRGB. In BT.709, values 0-15 and 236-255 are reserved for transient over/undershoots and synchronization, leaving you with just 16-235 for actual visible picture data. This could theoretically cause gamut clipping and/or gamma issues.
  • Latency. Since you'll be using this for games, don't be shocked if the TV has a response time of something like 30ms when you're used to monitors with 5ms. Setting the TV to "PC Mode" may or may not address this.

I always wondered about the text readability. This is good info man thanks

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know about 42" but cnet tested abunch of larger tv's

http://www.cnet.com/news/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

I wish I wasn't so :ohdear: & indecisive when it comes to buying junk like this (still haven't bought a new laptop 6 months later) but, awesome, thanks for the jumping-off point!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

I always wondered about the text readability. This is good info man thanks

Ive found turning sharpness all the way down really helps text when using a pc on a tv.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

Ive found turning sharpness all the way down really helps text when using a pc on a tv.

Sharpness settings on most tv's is actually some lovely edge-detection algorithm. IME you should actually turn it off (which isn't always "0," annoyingly) with digital sources.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got my HP monitor stand for my korean monitor. Its perfect. Has height adjustment, vesa 100 mount, pivot, tilt, and even rotation. It also looks way nicer than those monoprice mounts. Even came with screws.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HES611S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Got my HP monitor stand for my korean monitor. Its perfect. Has height adjustment, vesa 100 mount, pivot, tilt, and even rotation. It also looks way nicer than those monoprice mounts. Even came with screws.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HES611S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well you convinced me, sweet

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
My RAEANtech TR-272 finally came in today (one day late, despite being in town since Sunday). These AUO AH-VA panels look great. For those who don't know, AH-VA is AUO's version of IPS, and it has nothing to do with VA tech. Colors are vivid, the backlight is pretty even with no PWM flicker, and bleed is minimal, though it's just as prone to it as any other IPS or IPS-like technology. I actually think its appearance resembles Samsung's PLS panels really closely.

Unfortunately, like just about every other monitor I've received (even name brand ones), this one has chunks of dust behind the screen. There are a couple big ones, and I'm sure I can count more than five total.

It also might have some really bad pixel walk, but I think that's just for a few seconds after turning on. Right now, it looks really stable.

Edit: oh wow, running a pixel walk test actually causes some weird artifacting on the rest of the screen. If that's a signal board issue and it's a design flaw that affects all models, then that pretty much means I have to give this monitor the thumbs down and recommend everyone steer clear of it.

That's too bad, because if it weren't for those problems, this would be a far superior alternative to the QNIX/X-STAR models with DisplayPort at a similar price point ($350). Good news for anybody thinking about getting the BenQ BL2710PT though, as it uses the same panel as this one.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 7, 2014

LtOrange
Apr 3, 2012
The monitor I am currently using is a HANNspree HF225DPB 21.5" and I am looking to get a second monitor. The Dell U2312HM looks like it has a lot of positive reviews and would be perfect for my gaming needs. My question is about having two monitors with different screen sizes. Would you guys recommend finding another 21.5" monitor or would the 23" monitor be just fine?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I've got a pair of 24" Dell U2412M monitors. I'd like to hang speakers on them rather than using desk space I don't have, preferably on the top or bottom. There is a dell speaker bar that would work but I've got a pair of monitors and don't want a soundbar, just a right and left channel. Does this exist anywhere?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LtOrange posted:

The monitor I am currently using is a HANNspree HF225DPB 21.5" and I am looking to get a second monitor. The Dell U2312HM looks like it has a lot of positive reviews and would be perfect for my gaming needs. My question is about having two monitors with different screen sizes. Would you guys recommend finding another 21.5" monitor or would the 23" monitor be just fine?
Are you OCD and would get upset about having non-matching monitors? That's about the only reason to prefer another 21.5" instead of something else.

wwb posted:

I've got a pair of 24" Dell U2412M monitors. I'd like to hang speakers on them rather than using desk space I don't have, preferably on the top or bottom. There is a dell speaker bar that would work but I've got a pair of monitors and don't want a soundbar, just a right and left channel. Does this exist anywhere?
Why not just take a normal stereo speaker set and turn them on their sides and lay them under the monitor, then? Also, you know sound bars are just a left/right speaker in one frame, yes? If it's because you don't want off-center sound, you could buy two of them (they're like $20 shipped from Amazon) and then use a splitter cable so that each bar only gets the right or left channel.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

Are you OCD and would get upset about having non-matching monitors? That's about the only reason to prefer another 21.5" instead of something else.

If he is OCD to the point where two different monitor sizes would bother him - the color differences from an older monitor versus a new one would drive him crazy.

LtOrange
Apr 3, 2012

DrDork posted:

I plan on replacing the 21.5" someday if I really enjoy the two screen setup. I guess I am going to pull the trigger on the Dell U2312HM unless you guys recommend something else.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I am so confused about what to buy right now. I hate matte screen coatings but love the 34 inch 21:9 aspect ratio monitors but there are no glossy ones on the horizon.

On the other hand the new 32inch AH-VA monitors (from BENQ and ACER) are semi-glossy (apparently), have a less desirable aspect ratio yet still have a nice 2560x1440 resolution.

Edit: Whether the PBP mode on the 21:9 monitors does 1:1 pixel mapping might seal the deal. I would love to have a mac and windows pc connected to the same monitor whilst sharing the mouse cursor seamlessly between screens with the http://www.j5create.com/our-products/wormhole-switches/juc100.html

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 7, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Well you convinced me, sweet

I got it installed. You can use the screws included but you have to cut off a mm or 2 or they will bottom out. You can get an idea on length using a toothpick in the vesa hole on the back of your screen.

Here is lowest height

Tallest height

Full tilt forward

And full tilt backward

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Nice. There are probably a hundred of those stands sitting in a room at work. I probably walk by them every day. It never occurred to me that they might be a standard VESA pattern

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LtOrange posted:

Is the old monitor also 1080p?

I'm using a 19" 1680x1050 display next to a 24" 1920x1200 model and the pixel density difference between them is enough to be slightly annoying.

joachim783
May 9, 2013
I am torn between getting this 4k monitor http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1384&products_id=26644 or 2 of these 1080p dell ultrasharps http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1384&products_id=27281 any advice on which to choose would be appreciated. :)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
How will you use them? What do you have a to power a 4k monitor graphics wise?

I mean the 4k will give you more literal windows space but maybe not in the most useful or convenient way as 2x 1080p. But it will also look wayyyyyyyyyy sharper too. Also the price difference here is extreme. Have you considered 2x 1440p at the very least?

joachim783
May 9, 2013
I'll be using them to do some pretty heavy gaming as well as some diploma level programing and networking stuff as i'm doing a diploma in information technology and i'll probably go onto do a bachelor degree in IT. To power it i have an evga 780 ti classified edition, i am open getting 2x 1440p what monitors would you suggest at that res?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Get 2 korean 1440p monitors.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

joachim783 posted:

I'll be using them to do some pretty heavy gaming as well as some diploma level programing and networking stuff as i'm doing a diploma in information technology and i'll probably go onto do a bachelor degree in IT. To power it i have an evga 780 ti classified edition, i am open getting 2x 1440p what monitors would you suggest at that res?

Yeah if you were willing to drop that much on a 4k, I think if it were me I'd rather get 2 27" 1440p's instead. 780ti classified is kick rear end and well suited for 1440p gaming, but there is no real single card that drives a 4k monitor as well as you'd probably like. To be comfortable gaming on a 4k you basically need to look at SLI, which would be a serious additional cost. Even at 1440p with a 780ti, there is still ( a little) room for improvement in some games to give you an idea how 4k will slam it.

Since your two links were aesthetically pleasing I'm not sure how you'd feel about korean ones. Also your budget seems healthy, but I wouldn't know which "nicer" 1440ps to recommend you here

And this is more personal, but I like dual monitor setups for work purposes because of how easily you can separate your workspace. Being able to simply maximize windows to the monitor with no effort versus manually adjusting everything on a single screen is a big benefit to me.

edit: can I ask if you're using a 780ti classified on a 1080p monitor right now :p

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 7, 2014

joachim783
May 9, 2013
I think i'll probably go with dual 1440p monitors then and i do sort of care that they look good and have as thin a bessle as possible, would this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1384&products_id=25618 or http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1384&products_id=23392 that be good? and yes i am using a 780ti classified on a single 1080p but only because an awesome friend got me one as a christmas present :)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I think you just won the most overpowered card for your monitor award in SH/SC :)

I'll have to leave it to others for recommendations though. Don't know much passed korean models

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

joachim783 posted:

I think i'll probably go with dual 1440p monitors then and i do sort of care that they look good and have as thin a bessle as possible, would this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1384&products_id=25618 or http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1384&products_id=23392 that be good? and yes i am using a 780ti classified on a single 1080p but only because an awesome friend got me one as a christmas present :)

I would go LG 34UM95 for the main display and probably just run that alone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

I am so confused about what to buy right now. I hate matte screen coatings but love the 34 inch 21:9 aspect ratio monitors but there are no glossy ones on the horizon.

On the other hand the new 32inch AH-VA monitors (from BENQ and ACER) are semi-glossy (apparently), have a less desirable aspect ratio yet still have a nice 2560x1440 resolution.

Edit: Whether the PBP mode on the 21:9 monitors does 1:1 pixel mapping might seal the deal. I would love to have a mac and windows pc connected to the same monitor whilst sharing the mouse cursor seamlessly between screens with the http://www.j5create.com/our-products/wormhole-switches/juc100.html
Been following a thread on Ars about the 34 and asked about the matte a few days ago, the guys that have it say it's a really fine matte. One guy put up some pics for comparison with a Samsung tablet and Dell U2412M.

And this post is really interesting. Guy says it works as a KVM with Thunderbolt connected to his Mac and USB on his PC (with a driver is the PC doesn't freak out when switching apparently).

Also the US page is up, with $999 as the MSRP. If you have a Fry's nearby they might have it in stock (my local one in CA does) and hopefully on display.

Pheel
Jul 23, 2007
I am in the process of putting together a new pc that I'll be using for gaming along side my Xbox One. I've been looking at a few different monitors (Asus VS24AH-P being one) but I have a question about running the Xbox on 1920x1200.

Since the Xbox runs at 1080p, will I just get black bars, or will it upscale to the full resolution? Am I better off picking up a 1080p native monitor?

I was looking around the $200-$250 range and ideally would like a HDMI input for using my pc and Xbox simultaneously.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Pheel posted:

I am in the process of putting together a new pc that I'll be using for gaming along side my Xbox One. I've been looking at a few different monitors (Asus VS24AH-P being one) but I have a question about running the Xbox on 1920x1200.

Since the Xbox runs at 1080p, will I just get black bars, or will it upscale to the full resolution? Am I better off picking up a 1080p native monitor?

I was looking around the $200-$250 range and ideally would like a HDMI input for using my pc and Xbox simultaneously.

Some 16:10 monitors will scale it properly by adding black bars and others will just fill the screen. The Dell U2412M, for example, fills the screen, so you may want to avoid that one if you're going to use a game console on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I've not found a window management software solution that didn't slow down my startup, but I haven't tried Winsplit. It seems a bit unnecessary, as 1080 vert pixels makes for a tight environment already -- I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze another screen on top of another.

Don't know if anyone covered this, but I saw this 25" 21:9 IPS at Fry's; the pixel density is drat near perfect, although a smaller 21:9 might feel cramped to some users. I thought it was great. If I didn't have my 29 inch one by now, I would have thought about picking this up today.
I think I just saw this at a Costco for $219 marked down from $250, not sure if that's a nationwide thing or varies by location though. They have it online for the $250 price.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

japtor posted:

Been following a thread on Ars about the 34 and asked about the matte a few days ago, the guys that have it say it's a really fine matte. One guy put up some pics for comparison with a Samsung tablet and Dell U2412M.

And this post is really interesting. Guy says it works as a KVM with Thunderbolt connected to his Mac and USB on his PC (with a driver is the PC doesn't freak out when switching apparently).

Also the US page is up, with $999 as the MSRP. If you have a Fry's nearby they might have it in stock (my local one in CA does) and hopefully on display.

Thanks for this. The switch thing is a cool surprise! The matte finish seems far less aggressive than the DELL.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Alereon posted:

The First FSM-270YG I bought for $279.90 on Sunday arrived yesterday, significantly beating the shipping estimate of Monday. This thing is beautiful, thanks for all your help Zorilla! I neglected to consider that I'd need a longer Dual-Link DVI cable to connect it to my machine, but I hooked it up to my roommate's box for a quick inspection and it looks great. Backlight bleed is the best I could have hoped for, it looks almost perfectly even straight-on with only very slight extra bleed along the bottom where the taskbar normally is, there are no obvious bright corners like I was afraid of. I didn't see any dead pixels when I tested with black and RGB backgrounds. The only problem is that brightness adjustment doesn't seem to be working, I'm holding the +/- down buttons next to the power button with no visual change, but maybe I'm doing it wrong and will test more thoroughly later today when I get the longer cable. IPS glow is definitely visible on a black screen, I'm hoping that I'll be able to improve this by reducing the brightness, though at the end of the day even if I'm stuck here its a HUGE improvement over the Acer P243W TN-panel I was using before.

Can anyone suggest any good test images or patterns for checking for dithering artifacts on 6-bit panels? I'm curious if I can actually see any visual artifacts going away vs just a general improvement in color quality.

I'm considering making the plunge.

Did you have any problems given that this model ships with a Korean power plug? Would a normal three prong connect to the box (and wall) with no problems?

Also, did you end up reducing the glow?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tacosupreme posted:

Did you have any problems given that this model ships with a Korean power plug? Would a normal three prong connect to the box (and wall) with no problems?

They use the same power plug your computer uses. Just grab an extra one you probably have laying around.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

tacosupreme posted:

I'm pretty sure the glow I'm seeing is the normal IPS glow. The bottom-right corner is a bit brighter than the others, but not to the point where I think it's an assembly defect or would consider disassembling the monitor, the backlight is still more even than the Acer P243W TN monitor I replaced. The only thing that remains a concern for me is the blue color cast, though I got just got a new monitor at work and think it looks blueish so maybe I just like my displays warm. I think I really just need to buy a color calibrator so I can stop trying to set relative color by eye.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Are there any articulating VESA stands for 27" monitors? Wall/desk mounts wouldn't work for me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

japtor posted:

I think I just saw this at a Costco for $219 marked down from $250, not sure if that's a nationwide thing or varies by location though. They have it online for the $250 price.

21:9 on the cheap! The pixel density is drat near perfect, too. I don't need one but that's a good deal, because even online you're gonna pay 250 anywhere else.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

fookolt posted:

Are there any articulating VESA stands for 27" monitors? Wall/desk mounts wouldn't work for me.

Last page he posted pics too

Don Lapre posted:

Anyone used one of the zr22w stands on their Korean(corean) monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-LA961AA-ZR22W-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00HES611S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399130803&sr=8-1&keywords=zr22w+stand

Ordered one of these after seeing it mentioned a few places. Looks like vesa 100.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

I'm looking around for some monitor mounts, similar to something like these:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/accessories/technology-support/flo-monitor-supports.html
http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/worktools/computer/fyi/pages/overview.aspx

Would you guys have any other recommendations? Price range is roughly between $150 to $250.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Dell U2412M - is that a decent enough monitor to get for someone whose eyesight has seen better days?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there some trick to using 1920x1080 on a 13" laptop monitor? Is there some DPI Scaling option in windows 7 that I'm totally missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Is there some trick to using 1920x1080 on a 13" laptop monitor? Is there some DPI Scaling option in windows 7 that I'm totally missing?

The trick is the resolution of your physical screen I'm sure. What laptop?