Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

It's on a storsimple, unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the device and the guy who was, doesn't work here anymore. Trying to work my way through it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You can put the disk in maintenance mode and run chkdsk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DHCP question:

Two Windows 2008 servers with the DHCP role installed. Two different address pools: 10.1.0.1-200 and 10.1.25.1-200

All machines on the LAN are using /16 subnet mask, there are only ~150 hosts so it's not the end of the world. There are a few groups of addresses, 10.1.0.x, 10.1.5.x, 10.1.10.x, 10.1.66.x, and 10.1.200.x - but no routing or anything like that setup since everyone is on a 255.255.0.0. Certain devices such as phones have been put in one group of addresses and have reservations made.

There's a bunch of lease reservations, some exist on both servers, some don't. Is there any method as to which server a client is serviced from? Just whoever answers first?

I'm guessing the fix (assuming both DHCP servers are to be kept) is to choose one address pool, split it between the servers, and make sure the reservations all exist on both. There currently are about 20 leases on the first server, and 70 leases on the second server.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

All machines on the LAN are using /16

There's a bunch of lease reservations, some exist on both servers, some don't. Is there any method as to which server a client is serviced from? Just whoever answers first?

Whatever server answers first will hand out the address. I just recently learned this, as our old network guy had ip helpers on different switches (for the same VLAN) pointing to different DHCP servers. One Windows box, and one old Cisco switch.

Out of curiosity, why the /16 subnet? Why not a few smaller ones if you want to split things up? Nutbag client?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Bob Morales posted:

Ran into an interesting setup today. Imagine a bunch of folders on a file share:

Marketing
Accounting
HR

Instead of users being in an AD group named 'Marketing', and then having permissions assigned to the Marketing folder to the 'Marketing' AD group, there's a 'MarketingShareRead' and 'MarketingShareWrite' group with people in it, and then those groups are given permissions to that folder.

Also do a similar setup for Shitpoint.

Marketing Contribute Users/Marketing Read Only Users/Marketing Designer Users

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Moey posted:

Out of curiosity, why the /16 subnet? Why not a few smaller ones if you want to split things up? Nutbag client?

:iiam:

I'd say they don't know any better.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Before I completely blow my top on this let me consult you crafty Goons :D. I recently rolled out WDS. Neatly added all my driver packages and finished my unattended.xml FOR THE CLIENT. This works PERFECTLY! :woop: My only issue now is getting the goddamn image unattended to work. For some reason it is not able to see my unattended.xml, on my image I went into properties and added my file (yes I do have separate xml's for the client and image) but I consistently get the error message saying it could not parse the file in the panther directory. Now this is a Win 7 image and as I understand it the XML on the WDS server should be all I need. I did notice every time I choose my xml WDS copies it into an unattended folder within the image folder and renames it imageunattend.xml. At this point I am at a lose I tried a hundred stupid things that aren't working.

Any suggestions will help keep me from going postal!!!

EDIT: I think I was just being to slick trying to code my own XML file. Used Windows SIM to craft the image unattend file and I should be good now (although I am waiting to see, an image is being deployed right now).

If anyone cannot create a catalog file for a .WIM image file in SIM, right click the image in WDS MMC and export the image to the desktop. After its finished exporting, create the log file from the exported image. Windows places permissions on a captured file that does not allow it to be cataloged afterwards (odd in my opinion).

Mindisgone fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 1, 2014

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

DHCP question:

I'm guessing the fix (assuming both DHCP servers are to be kept) is to choose one address pool, split it between the servers, and make sure the reservations all exist on both. There currently are about 20 leases on the first server, and 70 leases on the second server.

My recommendation if you can swing it is to get the DHCP servers to Server 2012 R2. 2012 has DHCP Failover capabilities. You create the scope on one server and add the other into the failover pair. It automagically maintains the reservations on both sides and splits the scope up for load balancing. Plus if one node goes down for a configurable period of time (15 minutes by default if I recall correctly) the other node will pick up with renewals and issuing leases from the entire scope.

It's dead simple to setup and massively simplifies highly available DHCP.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Jeoh posted:

You can put the disk in maintenance mode and run chkdsk.

But that will take the disk offline for the duration won't it? The 8TB disk with the majority of our corporate data on it :aaa:

I had a chat with one of the guys who used to work here and he's told me that it's needed a chkdsk for a while, so this is not root cause for why the disk is suddenly failing under heavy load. He said they had planned to migrate to a new structure, but getting 8TB of data from the storsimple (aka the cloud) is taking months.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Loten posted:

But that will take the disk offline for the duration won't it? The 8TB disk with the majority of our corporate data on it :aaa:

I had a chat with one of the guys who used to work here and he's told me that it's needed a chkdsk for a while, so this is not root cause for why the disk is suddenly failing under heavy load. He said they had planned to migrate to a new structure, but getting 8TB of data from the storsimple (aka the cloud) is taking months.

iSCSI connection to the drive? Flaky iSCSI sessions can lead to corruption or give the impression .

What OS?

What exactly does the error say in event viewer when it fails.

Is the drive flagged dirty? Run the below to find out changing the drive letter.
code:
fsutil dirty query C:
Can you bring storesimple up in the cloud as an instance like you can with AWS storage gateway? This might allow you fix it faster or take advantage of an import/export service the provider has and they send you the data on a drive you send them.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Intrepid00 posted:

iSCSI connection to the drive? Flaky iSCSI sessions can lead to corruption or give the impression .

Yes to iSCI.

quote:

What OS?
Server 2012

quote:

What exactly does the error say in event viewer when it fails.

Cluster resource 'Cluster Disk 2' (resource type 'Physical Disk', DLL 'clusres.dll') did not respond to a request in a timely fashion. Cluster health detection will attempt to automatically recover by terminating the Resource Hosting Subsystem (RHS) process running this resource. This may affect other resources hosted in the same RHS process. The resources will then be restarted.

The suspect resource 'Cluster Disk 2' will be marked to run in an isolated RHS process to avoid impacting multiple resources in the event that this resource failure occurs again. Please ensure services, applications, or underlying infrastructure (such as storage or networking) associated with the suspect resource is functioning properly.

quote:

Is the drive flagged dirty? Run the below to find out changing the drive letter.
code:
fsutil dirty query C:

code:
Volume e: is Dirty

quote:

Can you bring storesimple up in my butt as an instance like you can with AWS storage gateway? This might allow you fix it faster or take advantage of an import/export service the provider has and they send you the data on a drive you send them.
I'll need to look into this one.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Mindisgone posted:

Before I completely blow my top on this let me consult you crafty Goons :D. I recently rolled out WDS. Neatly added all my driver packages and finished my unattended.xml FOR THE CLIENT. This works PERFECTLY! :woop: My only issue now is getting the goddamn image unattended to work. For some reason it is not able to see my unattended.xml, on my image I went into properties and added my file (yes I do have separate xml's for the client and image) but I consistently get the error message saying it could not parse the file in the panther directory. Now this is a Win 7 image and as I understand it the XML on the WDS server should be all I need. I did notice every time I choose my xml WDS copies it into an unattended folder within the image folder and renames it imageunattend.xml. At this point I am at a lose I tried a hundred stupid things that aren't working.

EDIT: I think I was just being to slick trying to code my own XML file. Used Windows SIM to craft the image unattend file and I should be good now (although I am waiting to see, an image is being deployed right now).

If anyone cannot create a catalog file for a .WIM image file in SIM, right click the image in WDS MMC and export the image to the desktop. After its finished exporting, create the log file from the exported image. Windows places permissions on a captured file that does not allow it to be cataloged afterwards (odd in my opinion).

Take a look at MDT. If you are internal IT you probably want to be be using this for imaging.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Mindisgone posted:

Good move using WSIM, the file will never work unless you're totally coloring inside the lines, and WSIM ensures that you do. If there's still problems, keep in mind that there's some rare circumstances where there's different unattend.xml files in more than one area and they can override eachother.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Loten posted:

Yes to iSCI.

Server 2012

Cluster resource 'Cluster Disk 2' (resource type 'Physical Disk', DLL 'clusres.dll') did not respond to a request in a timely fashion. Cluster health detection will attempt to automatically recover by terminating the Resource Hosting Subsystem (RHS) process running this resource. This may affect other resources hosted in the same RHS process. The resources will then be restarted.

The suspect resource 'Cluster Disk 2' will be marked to run in an isolated RHS process to avoid impacting multiple resources in the event that this resource failure occurs again. Please ensure services, applications, or underlying infrastructure (such as storage or networking) associated with the suspect resource is functioning properly.

code:
Volume e: is Dirty
I'll need to look into this one.

The bad news is unless storesimple has a tool to manage it once it is flagged dirty it won't clear up without chkdsk. The good news is it might not actually be dirty but the flaky iSCSI connection caused it to be.

Do you have support with storesimple? Have you checked the device itself for errors. You might have more errors that would tell us more. When I get to the office I can tell you the event source you are looking for but the iSCSI initiator should be dumping errors too.

Edit: Also your iSCSI connections are on a dedicated network and dedicated NIC just for the iSCSI data right?

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 2, 2014

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

iSCSI has it's own VLAN and dedicated NIC.

Storsimple are owned by Microsoft and I'm currently gathering data for Microsoft, but if they can't help me then I'll see if there is such a thing as dedicated Storsimple support.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What the hell is the justification for making a GPO that reboots everyone's PC at 1:00am?

It's bad enough the DC's are set to reboot every Sunday at 5:00am

Why the hell do you guys do that?

"I heard you have to restart Windows servers all the time."

NT 4 maybe...derp.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All the time is like once a month for patches.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

What the hell is the justification for making a GPO that reboots everyone's PC at 1:00am?

There is no justification. Just incompetence, probably.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

orange sky posted:

Somewhere around 2007 I worked for a place that had an Avaya VOIP system. The voice mail component kept locking up randomly, sometimes it would go fine for a month and other times it would die multiple times a week. We opened a ticket and their support team literally told us to just create a scheduled task to reboot the machine once a week and there was no other fix/workaround.

:bravo:

I will say that, however retarded the solution... it worked.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

orange sky posted:

I setup a faxpress "server" to reboot every night at 3am. If I didn't the thing would randomly hang one of the lines and no faxes could come in.

Gotta love faxes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mindisgone posted:

I'm had issues unless the file was named exactly unattend.xml

I had two separate files named unattend.xml and unattend-amd64.xml. My 32 bit one worked great, but my 64 one had the same issue about not being able to parse the file. I renamed my 64 to unattend.xml and everything worked fine.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Microsoft.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

Microsoft.

My CIO has been requesting reports from SCCM about every hour on our deployment of those update.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

"I heard you have to restart Windows servers all the time."

NT 4 maybe...derp.

As someone who cut their server admin teeth on NT4 and actually kind of loved it, I take unjustifiable exception to this.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Sacred Cow posted:

My CIO has been requesting reports from SCCM about every hour on our deployment of those update.

Thankfully we're small enough that I could just say "This is serious. It's getting deployed for lunchtime, you might have to reboot, sorry for the inconvenience" and had no issues.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We just forced a reboot within 1 hour of installation.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I dropped it on to the IT desktops and the test group as soon as I got in this morning but when I brought up publishing it for everyone else on a shorter timescale I got :crickets:

Oh well :shobon:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Today was a glorious day.

There are times when I just absolutely love my job, and today was definitely one of them.

Today, I disabled stationery for Outlook 2003-2013 :mmmhmm:

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

Thankfully we're small enough that I could just say "This is serious. It's getting deployed for lunchtime, you might have to reboot, sorry for the inconvenience" and had no issues.

Our users are so touchy about computer restarts I was required to give them an 8 hour reboot warning. Even after that we still got complaints.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Touchy? You mean spoiled. I'm sure management lets that happen.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm had issues unless the file was named exactly unattend.xml

I had two separate files named unattend.xml and unattend-amd64.xml. My 32 bit one worked great, but my 64 one had the same issue about not being able to parse the file. I renamed my 64 to unattend.xml and everything worked fine.

fun fact, you can have different names for your unattend in SCCM, but your TS will crash if the name has a space in it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone using Sharepoint Mysite? I'm just curious how I can access a users mysite documents and assign permissions. Lately I've been just doing it manually from their account but it's starting to become a hassel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Ended up making sure all the reservations from both servers were on server #2, then I removed the scope on #1, then on #2 I right clicked on the scope and chose 'split scope', added #1 and moved the slider over. Piece of cake.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Loten posted:

iSCSI has it's own VLAN and dedicated NIC.

Storsimple are owned by Microsoft and I'm currently gathering data for Microsoft, but if they can't help me then I'll see if there is such a thing as dedicated Storsimple support.

Awesome news. I went to my boss yesterday and said that my gut feeling for the file server issues we've been having, along with a couple of other tickets, was that the Storsimple was the root cause. Sent through some data to Microsoft and they came back agreeing with me, so Yay!

Boo! in that it is not going to be quick to get 8tb out of the cloud and back onto disks.

Check out the numbers in this bad boy (green is read, tan is write, blue is delete and grey is outstanding IOs).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is renaming a 2008R2 domain controller going to make me want to shoot myself in the face? My predecessor has two DCs, "BDC" and "DC01" which is setting off my OCD in bad bad ways. It's not hurting anything, but I guess if it's not a huge issue I would love to rename them.

In all honesty I should just promote two new 2012R2 DCs and decommission these two.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Don't rename them, just roll new ones.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
If you must rename, remove all roles and features, dcpromo the DC, remove it from the domain, rename, then add everything back. Same steps as if you were retiring a DC, make sure everything removed cleanly before moving forward, and so on.

But really,

Moey posted:

Don't rename them, just roll new ones.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Renaming DC's is no big deal at all. Just rename and reboot. No need for all that other poo poo unless you feel like doing it. Especially with 2008+ DC's

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Martytoof posted:

In all honesty I should just promote two new 2012R2 DCs and decommission these two.

I pretty much always take any excuse to get to the latest OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zaepho posted:

I pretty much always take any excuse to get to the latest OS.

This. And cleaning out all the crap people have done to the dc over the years. If I find another dc with Adobe Reader installed....