Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, guess I just have to be patient.. Really sucks when you are on the "losing" side and the opposition already has their work and home-portals up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Digital Ebola
Jun 1, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A fellow goon showed me this game a while ago and I was bummed that I couldn't play it on iPhone. I recently bought a Nexus 7 tablet and a coworker reminded me about this damnable game. It took calling my phone provider for hotspot service but now I can play on a tablet.

This game rocks. I can take stuff over from my car, while stopped at a light. I'm sure that I should be walking around or something, but drive-bys are where it's at.

Oh, yeah and there are a bunch of portals on the campus where I work, so walking across campus for a meeting is not a big deal. :getin:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I fully admit that I do that when I have some L1 XM Bursters laying around. Not so much that they'll do any sort of damage at all, but so that opposition player gets that message "Your portal The Couch is under attack by X!" on their phone.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

More Portal Submission emails are coming through, and I just got 5 more accepted. This brings up my total to 20 - and I haven't gotten emails on some of them yet.

I'm also on a mission to try to include my coffee travel mug in every single portal submission photo - because it needs to immortalized in a video game. It's accompanied me on countless Ingress runs. Here, at Sky Valley Church of the Nazarene in Sultan, WA, it's on the square pole to the left of the sign. You can even see it, a little bit, on the portal pic for this same portal in Ingress.

And if you want to visit this portal in person, it lives here: http://www.ingress.com/intel?ll=47.871421,-121.740171&z=18

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:snoop::respek::smug:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Smurfs please go

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Man, this new hacking minigame really isn't doing it for me. The input is super laggy and Simon says isn't interesting to begin with.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a minigame now?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Hold Hack down and you get a Simon minigame with the glyphs.

Digital Ebola
Jun 1, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone explored a SmartWatch implementation? It would be handy to have this running on the wrist.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So, something I've learned with the new portal submission process.

If you submit a church or a related religious organization? It'll go thorough automatically. And quicker than other submissions. I've submitted both church and non church portals on the same day; the churches got accepted more than a week ago. The non church ones, I haven't heard back from yet.

Also - has anyone been to any official Ingress Event? I'll be in CA during the week of the LA Recursion Event, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to go to.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Really depends on the crowd. I've been to a few which were fun enough. Yes there are some insufferable nerds but more often than not they quickly turn into bar runs which I'm ok with. :)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So, the portal that I had owned for some 75 days now got neutralized today. Just neutralized, not taken over by the other side. About 4 hours later, I was able to reclaim it, and fully res and shield it up. This was before my portal 'count' time at 7 pm ( think).

Does my portal owning count now start over? Or does it continue on? I hope so :ohdear:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Qu Appelle posted:

So, the portal that I had owned for some 75 days now got neutralized today. Just neutralized, not taken over by the other side. About 4 hours later, I was able to reclaim it, and fully res and shield it up. This was before my portal 'count' time at 7 pm ( think).

Does my portal owning count now start over? Or does it continue on? I hope so :ohdear:

It starts over. People love targeting enemy guardian portals.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Tremors posted:

It starts over. People love targeting enemy guardian portals.

Well, at least it was a good run, and I got two badges out of it.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Qu Appelle posted:

Well, at least it was a good run, and I got two badges out of it.

Could be worse. We had someone here with 149 days in their Guardian. A fellow Enlightened ADAd and popped it to be spiteful, and was promptly uninvited from the AM01-KILO-10 coordination G+.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Exit Strategy posted:

Could be worse. We had someone here with 149 days in their Guardian. A fellow Enlightened ADAd and popped it to be spiteful, and was promptly uninvited from the AM01-KILO-10 coordination G+.

Yeah - while it sucks for it to go down, at least it wasn't timed like that, nor was it a player I recognized in the area. So, no vindictiveness at all, which is good. I think it's someone who just wandered through, saw the portal, and took it down. But they didn't even nab it for themselves, they left it uncaptured. So I captured it right back!

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Really depends on the crowd. I've been to a few which were fun enough. Yes there are some insufferable nerds but more often than not they quickly turn into bar runs which I'm ok with. :)

I just got into the game and checked out the local group on Google + to see it was full of drama, I'll just drink on my own time and hit the 6 portals across the street when I can.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tacoman165 posted:

I just got into the game and checked out the local group on Google + to see it was full of drama, I'll just drink on my own time and hit the 6 portals across the street when I can.

My local G+ group doesn't have that much drama on it but god drat I've seen some huge dummy-spits on All Comms :allears:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Exit Strategy posted:

Up here it's a fierce competition for Guardians, people will drive hours to take one out. This is up in New England where an hour is a long drive in general.

cheese-cube posted:

My local G+ group doesn't have that much drama on it but god drat I've seen some huge dummy-spits on All Comms :allears:
Stupid arguments are a sign of good teamwork.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just grabbed this on my phone, it's pretty fun so far. It really reminds me of all those movies with hackers doin' hackery stuff, it looks a lot like goofy scifi Hollywood stuff. I think I may have picked the wrong side though, Anchorage is pretty heavily controlled by the filthy blue jerks.
Well at least I'll get a good walk in this weekend, I'm gonna go on a hack-fest.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you want to level up fast, playing the outnumbered team is how you do it. It means you'll always have blue portals to knock over.

If it is like where I live, too, the dominant side also has a handful of extremely active players who seem bent on bogarting all the AP. I have to imagine it is pretty tough to level up when these guys are out there day and night beating you to it.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well there seems to be an untagged portal a couple of blocks from my work, so I should be able to grab it if it's still grey after I get off work.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If your local high-levels are taking all the AP, have you tried asking them to help you out? If you did that around here, we'd be throwing items at you and giving you a heads up before we cleared anything or let it decay. Some areas have no organization or are just pants-on-head stupid, but for the most part people want to help new players.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
This game is going to ruin my life in all the ways doing logistics for goons in eve online didn't :350:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So, I took out one L7 portal. In doing that, I also took down 8 Control Fields.

It was a good day.

I'm also up to 41 portals accepted! :toot:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I just learned about charging bursters when you attack. Made things much easier. Also got a capsule yesterday.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

chemosh6969 posted:

I just learned about charging bursters when you attack. Made things much easier. Also got a capsule yesterday.

really ? I didn't think they were 'hackable' yet ?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spiny posted:

really ? I didn't think they were 'hackable' yet ?

After a brief bug, they are back to 'hackable' status but like Jarvis/ADA the drop rate is insanely low.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

chemosh6969 posted:

Charging bursters whaaaat? Looks like the tutorial left something else out.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Charging bursters whaaaat? Looks like the tutorial left something else out.

If you hold down the 'Fire' key, you'll notice that the circle of the queued missile gets smaller, and then cycles back. If you release it while it's getting smaller, you can get an attack bonus of up to 20%. 20% comes at the smallest, right before it cycles to large again.

The higher the burster, the quicker the cycle, up to L8, where it's really hard to hit 20% attack bonus. If you practice with some L1 bursters, you can see the pattern and practice the bonus really well.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was exchanging items with someone today and he didn't know that you can hold the plus and minus icons when loading and unloading capsules, so that's another thing to make note of.

Also, I was reminded of the real hazard of Ingress today when I walked walked into a tree while taking a screenshot of a new badge.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Which one of you applied to our city's Enlightened G+ group with your profile pic of Frowning Satoshi? Suckas.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are invites still a thing? I haven't played in a while but am starting back up, and I have ten apparently. When I last played there were three portals if I took the backroads to and from work. I could get seven if I made my 20 minute drive an hour. Now it seems on the same normal commute route there are 20 or so. There's also a lot more turnover between the teams. Previously it was blue dominated so all I could do was charge portals.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

As of October invites were no longer necessary.

Last summer they gave everyone 10 invites, and when the game opened up they never took them away or removed the invite functionality from the app.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The latest update adds levels 9-16. I am currently level 10 - level 11 requires 6m AP, six silver badges, and four gold badges.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
And ultra strikes!

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Shields sound like they've been boosted as well. Probably due to the arms race with the ultra strikes. We have someone in the area with the phone that could get them before and they weren't too impressed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It was fun seeing a bunch of OG L8's come out of retirement to blast their way to 16. It was a god drat warzone last night.

Ultra's are good for shield cracking but that's about it.

• Locked thread