Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Moey posted:

This. And cleaning out all the crap people have done to the dc over the years. If I find another dc with Adobe Reader installed....

Why??

Don't people remote manage? Couldn't they read their pdfs on their PCs?

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The guy before me put adobe pdf reader, and java on all of our servers - DCs included. He never remote managed, and would rather stand at the rack staring into the little 800x600 console display whenever he needed to do anything.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The guy before me put adobe pdf reader, and java on all of our servers - DCs included. He never remote managed, and would rather stand at the rack staring into the little 800x600 console display whenever he needed to do anything.

Likely because he wanted to hide from people hunting him down at his desk.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zaepho posted:

Likely because he wanted to hide from people hunting him down at his desk.

I'd be lying if I said I've never found a reason to go do some work in an area only IT could access just to get some peace and quiet. Open floorplans :smithicide: Though, yeah, it was actual work and not watching Flash videos on a domain controller.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

orange sky posted:

Why??

Don't people remote manage? Couldn't they read their pdfs on their PCs?

idgi

I work with some simple minded people.....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I had a dollar for every DC I saw with Office loaded on it....AAARG

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Our one DC has

Autodesk license server, teamviewer 5 host, archvision, mysql, apache, activeperl. It's also being used for a IT software repository share and who knows what else.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My eye just involuntarily twitched a whole lot after reading that. The next DC upgrade I do, I'm installing Server Core for all the DC's dammit.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

skipdogg posted:

My eye just involuntarily twitched a whole lot after reading that. The next DC upgrade I do, I'm installing Server Core for all the DC's dammit.

Mine are on Server Core just for this reason, even though it's just me administering them for now. It's a bit of protection against a future stupid idea.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think SBS really gives people the wrong idea about how to use a server. We had that issue here.

I had one server that did the following:
Ran IIS for customer facing website and for an internal site that handheld barcode scanners uploaded to.
Ran backend for TWO different image capture and processing programs.
Internal inventory system and supporting MSSQL server.
ACT database.
WSUS.
Acted as a remote desktop server for remote users, so it had Office, Acrobat, several browsers, etc on it.

Yeah buddy, a server that the entire world could touch that also ran your entire business crucial inventory program. Awesome.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
gently caress small business server forever.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gyshall posted:

New thread title IMO

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gyshall posted:

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

I run two DCs with WSUS, WDS, DHCP, Hyper-V and our file shares (DFS) on them, ~80 Windows 7 clients. Surely AD by itself could be handled by a Celeron?! I mange the DC using a Windows 7 VM hosted by the DC! When I say 2 DCs, I mean one site with everything redundant.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good new thread title.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ask and ye shall receive.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

I'm had issues unless the file was named exactly unattend.xml

I had two separate files named unattend.xml and unattend-amd64.xml. My 32 bit one worked great, but my 64 one had the same issue about not being able to parse the file. I renamed my 64 to unattend.xml and everything worked fine.

Does your image have IE10 or 11 integrated? It adds a line to unattend that Windows Setup can't parse. You need to comment it out.

http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2013/05/attempting-to-sysprep-a-virtual-machine-with-ie10-fails.html

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
We have three domain controllers, two 2008 R2 (ADC1 and EDC1) and one 2012 (CDC2). For some reason (my coworker handled all this) the "tombstone" period expired on ADC1 shortly after CDC2 was spun up, so ADC1 was replaced by another 2008 server we'll call ADC2. NOW EDC1 is having tombstone issues of its own, so we're limping along until next month when someone can get out there to virtualize that setup and spin up a new EDC.

Of course, ADC2 has now decided to throw up the 1006 event multiple times, so I can't access Group Policy, AD Users and Computers, or AD Sites and Services (those are the only ones I've tried since I need access to them):

(The Details tab shows Error 49 - Invalid Credentials)

This is what I see when I try to access anything related to AD:

According to that TechNet article, I'm supposed to change the user's password, lock/unlock the workstation, check if there are any system services running as the user account, and verify the password in service configuration is correct for the user account. That would make sense if one of our users was experiencing this issue on their desktop, but how am I supposed to do all of that with the domain controller's SYSTEM account?

And I feel that I should mention that CDC2 and ADC2 are still replicating with each other.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Try resetting the machine account password

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Question: Setting up managed service accounts for IIS instance with a new website. It appears the app was developed to locate files from mounted network drive. Do I have to create a normal user account with privileges, and login as them?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Anyone have book recommendations for intermediate powershell? Been through the month if lunches book already and looking to get a bit deeper.
Stuff that pertains to system administration is what I'm after.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

if you feel your intermediate, get the powershell cookbook. You'll get snippets and concepts to start building.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What user account would I use with this? SYSTEM isn't a domain account. Does that not matter?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Karthe posted:

What user account would I use with this? SYSTEM isn't a domain account. Does that not matter?

Just give it a domain account with admin rights on the DC's, netdom needs credentials to change the machine account password on the DC you're logged in to and the DC it's going to pass the password to so it can be replicated.

There is no password with the SYSTEM account, it's just a reference to Windows processes that might "act" like a user. If SYSTEM needs access to AD functions it uses the machine AD account.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This was just announced for those in a linux/window shop.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thankfully it is currently closed:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Interesting timing, I think the Linux guys here are trying out Puppet right now too.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Swink posted:

Anyone have book recommendations for intermediate powershell? Been through the month if lunches book already and looking to get a bit deeper.
Stuff that pertains to system administration is what I'm after.

The toolmaking book, also written by Jones/Hicks, covers all the advanced scripting/toolmaking techniques you can use to make your scripts behave just like the native cmdlets do.

Powershell in Depth also has good advanced information. It's not really designed as something you read cover-to-cover, but you can jump to the chapter on connecting to databases, remoting, using credentials, regular expressions, etc depending on what you need help with.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I wonder if that will be as janky and half-assed on Linux as most of the primarily-Linuxed config management tools are on Windows :v: Still, cool.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Small business, looking to replace our lovely lovely lovely hosted POP3 email. We've 7 users using Outlook 2013, Windows Server 2012 environment without an existing Active Directory. We want IMAP & activesync. Is Exchange still the best option for a small business or is there a more lightweight email server? I was looking at ipswitch's imail server, but I haven't had any experience with it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
We have a couple machines which were licensed for Windows 8.1. There's no Windows 7 OEM license sticker or anything on it but does it actually have downgrade rights?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Small business, looking to replace our lovely lovely lovely hosted POP3 email. We've 7 users using Outlook 2013, Windows Server 2012 environment without an existing Active Directory. We want IMAP & activesync. Is Exchange still the best option for a small business or is there a more lightweight email server? I was looking at ipswitch's imail server, but I haven't had any experience with it.

Any reason you're not looking at Google Apps or Offce365?

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

FISHMANPET posted:

Any reason you're not looking at Google Apps or Offce365?

Good point. Mainly cost, I suppose. Also we have an existing HP DL380 server left over from a app migration that we wanted to put to use, but it's definitely worth looking at a proper hosted solution.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There are literally zero reasons not to outsource email for 7 people.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

I'm getting really tired of SCCM failing to deploy applications. I have a couple really simple deployments, Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant, and Lync 2013, and they'll deploy fine for a little while, but then it starts not deploying to clients, getting stuck at 0% downloading. So I go in and update the application or recreate the application, and it works again for a little while, but then starts failing again.

I don't see how I could ever consider using this for anything serious if it can't even deploy these things.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Something in your environment is dicked up. Start looking at log files. We use SCCM to deploy those same files across 4000 workstations, in over a dozen sites, on 5 different continents and run into no issues at all.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

lol internet. posted:

We have a couple machines which were licensed for Windows 8.1. There's no Windows 7 OEM license sticker or anything on it but does it actually have downgrade rights?

Downgrade rights come with volume licensing with software assurance. Enjoy your modern operating system experience.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

skipdogg posted:

There are literally zero reasons not to outsource email for 7 people.

There's barely a reason to not outsource email until you have at least 100 people.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Riso posted:

There's barely a reason to not outsource email until you have at least 100 people.

We have approximately 300 users and still outsource email. gently caress Exchange right in it's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah, if you need help making the case for outsourcing email, your time isn't free. Exchange administration (and email administration in general) is kind of a pain in the dick and a decent chunk of your working hours will go toward managing it. Factor in 5-10 hours a week of an admin's time and suddenly on-premise doesn't look like such a value.