Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sturm posted:

Was there an actual scene of Venom joining the Guardians or just that little bit in the recap page in issue 14?

It was supposed to be the FCBD issue but that was just Tony telling Flash to go to space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

zoux posted:

BENDIS DID EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG AND PROBABLY 9/11 TOO.

Indeed, Fear Itself and Civil War were just terrible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is this Origin of the Hobgoblin trade worth buying for $15? I've never read any of the original Hobgoblin story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is this Origin of the Hobgoblin trade worth buying for $15? I've never read any of the original Hobgoblin story.

If it's a Spider-man book written by Roger Stern the answer is almost always yes.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I have a few questions about the marvel now relaunch. Im fairly new to comics and looking at all the titles that make up the now storylines. whats the difference between all the wovlerine comics? are they just seperate stories or do they cross over at all? same with captain america. he has a solo book but hes also fetured in the avenger titles. do the stories touch on what they are doing in the other solo stories? also I know this isnt the recommendation thread but ive picked up superior spiderman and im wondering what other stores you guys suggest I read as well.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zooted heh posted:

I have a few questions about the marvel now relaunch. Im fairly new to comics and looking at all the titles that make up the now storylines. whats the difference between all the wovlerine comics? are they just seperate stories or do they cross over at all? same with captain america. he has a solo book but hes also fetured in the avenger titles. do the stories touch on what they are doing in the other solo stories? also I know this isnt the recommendation thread but ive picked up superior spiderman and im wondering what other stores you guys suggest I read as well.

Wolverine is an ongoing series about Wolverine and touches on other stories (this is the origin of Wolverine being killable) . Wolverine and the x-men is really x-men school co-starring Wolverine, although there is more to it than that, and touches on other x-books. Savage Wolverine is a stand-alone anthology series from different writers/artists and has largely been pretty great.

I'm not caught up on cap but his book does not seem to cross over with avengers and I think is self-contained.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

zooted heh posted:

I have a few questions about the marvel now relaunch. Im fairly new to comics and looking at all the titles that make up the now storylines. whats the difference between all the wovlerine comics?

Generally they don't cross over very much, but Wolverine and the X-Men has been referencing the loss of his healing powers, which is a plot from Wolverine. At the moment they're all pretty standalone.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Nick Fury has the Infinity Formula, which is an anti-aging serum. It's been implied that Dum Dum Dugan either was exposed to it himself, or alternately is subject to the same sliding time scale that affects characters like Tony Stark, depending on who's writing him. Black Widow was enhanced by a Russian super-soldier program that accounts for her greatly slowed aging.

Nick had to be dosed every year with the Formula, or he would rapidly reach his real age. But the last samples were recently destroyed, and there was handwaving about there being "enough serum left in his system" for him to age normally from now on. Which doesn't make a lot of sense on the barest reflection, but Bendis, so.

I thought the most recent explanation for Dum Dum is that's he'd gotten so many cybernetic replacement parts over the years that he's basically a brain in a LMD body.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What happened to the girl Nomad? I have a trade of her (during the time when Bucky was Cap) but she doesn't seem to be around anymore?

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
This might be better for TVIV, but anybody got a handy list to what Buffy and Angel comics are canonical and a reading order?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as "canonical" goes, I'm fairly sure it's Angel: After the Fall -> Bufy Season 8 -> Buffy Season 9 and Angel & Faith -> Buffy Season 10 (and I think there's another Angel & Faith series coming out.

To the best of my knowledge, the other comics (i.e. those published during the series' TV run and in the gap between the series and Season 8) aren't necessarily considered "canon", but I don't know what the official policy in that regard is.

I think some of Brian Lynch's Spike comics are canonical, but I haven't read them. I don't know what the official word on IDW's Angel comics post-ATF is, but I understand they're not terribly well-regarded.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

What happened to the girl Nomad? I have a trade of her (during the time when Bucky was Cap) but she doesn't seem to be around anymore?

Possessed by Onslaught and sacrificed her life in a really lovely cross over.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Soonmot posted:

Possessed by Onslaught and sacrificed her life in a really lovely cross over.

What a drat shame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

As far as "canonical" goes, I'm fairly sure it's Angel: After the Fall -> Bufy Season 8 -> Buffy Season 9 and Angel & Faith -> Buffy Season 10 (and I think there's another Angel & Faith series coming out.

To the best of my knowledge, the other comics (i.e. those published during the series' TV run and in the gap between the series and Season 8) aren't necessarily considered "canon", but I don't know what the official policy in that regard is.

I think some of Brian Lynch's Spike comics are canonical, but I haven't read them. I don't know what the official word on IDW's Angel comics post-ATF is, but I understand they're not terribly well-regarded.

Fray is also canon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure how I forgot about Fray.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I've been working overnights this week, and I've got a question that came to me during the slow hours: Is Cable based on the Metabarons? Robo-arm, psychic powers, and a really weird family tree.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Cable, as created, is Clint Eastwood with a cyborg arm and vague Terminator-y stuff in his background. Everything else came later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim is taking over X-Men. I only know him from the fact that he showruns the best superhero show of all time, how's his comic book writing?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim is taking over X-Men. I only know him from the fact that he showruns the best superhero show of all time, how's his comic book writing?

Mixed, in my opinion. I thought his run on Wolverine was alright, his Amazing Spider-Man work was pretty good, but I'm not sure anybody liked Young X-Men or his run on The Flash.

Glad to see Brian Wood shuffle off, though, so there's that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Very not good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Very not good.

Yeah I'd say the same.

I wouldn't call his Spider-Man good at all, he was the worst of the Brand New Day writers once things kicked off.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I could be misremembering what sorts he did or didn't do, it blurs together.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I could be misremembering what sorts he did or didn't do, it blurs together.

Off the top of my head he did the alright Flash loses his legs story and the really terrible Kaine Gauntlet story.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You can't possibly make more money writing comics than being a showrunner (unless you're one of the big names, maybe) -- did he get fired from TV?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

prefect posted:

You can't possibly make more money writing comics than being a showrunner (unless you're one of the big names, maybe) -- did he get fired from TV?

Some people can do both.

He's already wrote TV and done comics at the same time before. Maybe he just really likes writing comics.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
No announcement yet for any new projects from Wood at Marvel, so maybe/hopefully they won't be hiring him on for anything else anytime soon.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think Guggenheim's connection to comics gives him a bit more 'legitimacy'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Guggenheim used to be a lawyer before he went into comics, didn't he?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He did that Wolverine Civil War tie-in, right? That poo poo was terrible.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Glad to see Brian Wood shuffle off, though, so there's that.

MagnesiumB posted:

No announcement yet for any new projects from Wood at Marvel, so maybe/hopefully they won't be hiring him on for anything else anytime soon.

Wait, there's Brian Wood backlash on SA? I thought I was the only one who didn't like his writing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uthor posted:

Wait, there's Brian Wood backlash on SA? I thought I was the only one who didn't like his writing.

Uhhh. He's had an interesting few months.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yikes. Does that have anything to do with him leaving the book?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not thrilled with his writing on X-Men (though I had enjoyed Wood's writing elsewhere), but yes, having him writing an all-female cast while trying to dodge multiple harassment accusations does seem impolitic.

Given that he's dropping the book mid-storyline and that even Guggenheim doesn't have a great idea what status quo he's going to be picking up on, I would suspect shenanigans of some sort - it doesn't seem like a smooth transition behind the scenes - but it seems unlikely we're likely to have any ugly details come out.

Granted, Marvel has surprised me with their lack of professionalism lately, so I may very well be surprised again.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Granted, Marvel has surprised me with their lack of professionalism lately, so I may very well be surprised again.

What has Marvel done? I can't remember anything crazy from then since the hobopiss incident.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

What has Marvel done? I can't remember anything crazy from then since the hobopiss incident.

Hobopiss?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Hobopiss?
Rick Remender wrote a very bad speech in Uncanny Avengers #5, got justly reamed out for it, and told his critics to go drown in hobo piss.

A while later in All-New X-Men, Bendis wrote a speech for Kitty where she calls Havok a complete rear end in a top hat and tears that speech to shreds.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Ahhh, I was thinking of some of the death of Wolverine stuff that I didn't realize on further research is more inside baseball than I was initially told. Sometimes you can't believe words, as it turns out.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm more surprised that no one gave him poo poo for introducing a literal yellow peril villain in his captain america run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vincent posted:

I'm more surprised that no one gave him poo poo for introducing a literal yellow peril villain in his captain america run.

No one's reading his Captain America run, so no one can get mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

No one's reading his Captain America run, so no one can get mad about it.

Yeah I enjoyed the previous run but going to Rick and I am just like "Oh its still cap being cap, I guess I am done here.", which I guess teaches the lesson that there are really uninteresting characters out there.