Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

[second thread; you can read the previous one here if you have archives]

Super Mario 64 was a monumental game. After its release for the Nintendo 64 in 1996, it seemed like every company was rushing to get their own 3D platformer out the door. One of these companies was the dying Sunsoft, a former NES giant, who farted out a little game called Chameleon Twist in 1997. It was a small success and even spawned a slightly improved sequel. I'm going to play them.

Why?

Well, to be honest, this game (and its sequel!) is a big part of my childhood. We couldn't afford many big titles, so most of our N64 games came from the bargain bin at FuncoLand.

I'm going to be honest - Chameleon Twist just isn't all that good. It's downright mediocre. The level design is empty and uninspired; the graphics are ugly even for an early N64 game. But the game's got a killer soundtrack and an interesting gimmick, and I love it to death.

Basically, you're a chameleon, and as such you have only one way to interact with your environment - your tongue! You have free control over your tongue. You can grab poles, enemies, and hearts, and pull off all sorts of tricks. It's a gimmick that really makes the game playable and very nostalgic for a lot of people - unlike most bargain bin N64 games, this one's pretty memorable.

You cannot change your color to match your environment.

So how's this going to go down?

I'm going to play through both games, as close to 100% as possible. The first game only makes you play 4/6 levels but I'm going to do all six. With me in virtually all videos is The T, a man of many talents, most of which relate to Sonic the Hedgehog.

I'm going to be as informative as possible about this game, although oftentimes there's really not much to say. I'll also link to the soundtrack as we play through the game because it's cool (even though it's all MIDI).

Chameleon Twist
Jungle Land!
Ant Land!
Bomb Land!
Desert Castle!
Kids Land!
Ghost Castle!

Soundtrack!
Jungle Land 1 (Outside)
Jungle Land 2 (Cave)
Boss (Stages 1, 4)
Ant Land
Boss (Stage 2)
Bomb Land
Boss (Stage 3)
Desert Castle
Kids Land
Boss (Stage 5)
Ghost Castle
Final Boss, First Form
Final Boss, Second Form

Chameleon Twist 2
Sky Land!

Soundtrack!
Title Screen
File Select
Sky Land
Sky Land Boss
Stage Select

majormonotone fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This post reserved for future prospects

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Anyway it's been a while!!! Here's a new video for your eyeballs: Kids Land!

This is a bad level with bad music and bad everything.

At least the last level is way better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dessert and puzzle pieces. You just... keep on keeping on, Chameleon Twist.

The crowns always look a little out of place, but never more so than there. They should be construction paper.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh man, I thought this had died. Glad to see it's back.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I can't wait to see how this ends :allears:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

mateo360 posted:

I can't wait to see how this ends :allears:

Prepare to be disappointed!

Ghost Castle and the first level of Chameleon Twist 2 are recorded, though I might rerecord 2 because my performance was...questionable. Ghost Castle should hopefully go up tonight though!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh yeah, for The T: those things you stand on are types of podiums. I sometimes hear them specifically referred to winners' podiums.

Also, I still feel Sunsoft missed a huge opportunity when they called that level Kids Land. They already had a Desert Castle, it's clear they should have called the other one Dessert Castle.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting, a N64 game I never heard of. Couldn't be too bad, could it?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Carbon dioxide posted:

Interesting, a N64 game I never heard of. Couldn't be too bad, could it?

Having played both games...eh. The second one is slightly better, and I recall enjoying both, but they're far from blockbusters. They lack the sheer absurdity that helped buoy some titles like Space Station Silicon Valley or Goemon 64 or Tankz, but the gimmick was used well enough and I recall them playing alright, which is more than can be said of a whole hell of a lot of Nintendo 64 platformer games. I would classify them as better than Glover, Gex, or most of the Looney Tune offerings at the time, at least.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I remember the controls being awful. But not as bad as Glover's controls. I returned that game the same day.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Here's the last level! It's okay.

Next time: Chameleon Twist 2.

Note: I did a lot more audio editing this time around and I think it sounds a lot better. Tell me what you think.

majormonotone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 29, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

majormonotone posted:

Here's the last level! It's okay.

Next time: Chameleon Twist 2.

Ah, watchin' Chamelon Twist break friendships. Looking forward to seeing the next one. I had fond memories of the first game--not so much anymore. Never played the second but I always kind of wanted to. Now I look forward to seeing what sort of bullet I dodged.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Blind Sally posted:

Ah, watchin' Chamelon Twist break friendships.

Pfft, Chameleon Twist does nothing but bring us even closer together. If you want to see our friendships broken, you should check out our Super Mario 3D World LP! (blatant shilling)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
What, are you on the same one with Dex01? I haven't been following it. Link?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Blind Sally posted:

What, are you on the same one with Dex01? I haven't been following it. Link?

What? Gosh no, ours is WAY better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you get to the end of the game without actually beating all the levels? That's what the end screen seems to suggest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah. You beat one level and you open up the next set. But you only need to beat one of the unlocked set to open up a further set.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

You only have to beat one of Ant Land/Bomb Land and one of Desert Castle/Kids Land.

Anyway I've been a little busy, but hopefully I can get the first Chameleon Twist 2 video up this week. We're going to have a special guest :3:

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
How did they manage to get funded for Chameleon Twist 2? This game is awful.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Arm_Fruit posted:

How did they manage to get funded for Chameleon Twist 2? This game is awful.

God only knows.

Speaking of which, I've started recording Chameleon Twist 2. T's busy this week so hopefully the first video will be up next week.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Well, that was sure a long week! :v:

Unfortunately there were scheduling problems with our planned guest, but hopefully they'll be able to appear in a future video. For now, here's the first world of Chameleon Twist 2, Sky Land.

Note that we're not quite done with the first game. There are two more videos for it - one for the Multiplayer mode and one that will show regional differences (JP vs. US/EU).

Also, definitely listen to this. I'm not joking when I say that the music in Chameleon Twist 2 is actually really good.

majormonotone fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

At least this looks a little more like an actual game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does seem like a much brighter aesthetic than the first game. There isn't this shadowed feel about everything. For a game with a tone this light that's important.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, it's started! This is all new for me. Never played CT2. Game looks a lot better, though

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, the Chameleon looked surprisingly non-plussed to discover that umbrella shot out of its butt now.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Also, the Chameleon looked surprisingly non-plussed to discover that umbrella shot out of its butt now.

non·plussed
/nänˈpləst/
adjective
adjective: nonplussed; adjective: non-plussed; adjective: nonplused

(of a person) surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Oh, there's an umbrella in my butt. I guess I'll go on an adventure and collect some crowns".

Perhaps not the best choice of words, but I'm not taking it back.

• Locked thread