Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's weird how way in the beginning of S1 Troy is just "Generic high school jock" and how everyone calls abed slumdog for a couple episodes.

Watching them bring Troy out of his jock shell in S1 is probably some of my favorite TV ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This kind of falls under the category of "total non-story" but it has portents in it that may give some idea of whether Community will be picked up or not. The compass seems to be pointing more towards "No" than "Yes" right now.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/community-chris-mckenna-dan-harmon-joel-mckenna-nbc/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

This kind of falls under the category of "total non-story" but it has portents in it that may give some idea of whether Community will be picked up or not. The compass seems to be pointing more towards "No" than "Yes" right now.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/community-chris-mckenna-dan-harmon-joel-mckenna-nbc/

The TV by the numbers predictors both give it a better than 50% chance.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/06/final-nbc-predictions-for-community-hannibal-dracula-parenthood-revolution-more/259537/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I sincerely doubt at this point Community doesn't get renewed

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Can-can-cancelled

The good news is you'll be hearing sixseasonsandamovie for the next ten years!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CBA: Cancelled By Asteroid

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Well that stinks.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

CBA: Cancelled By Asteroid

I've been hanging onto this since the last episode aired.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Guess this means I never have to turn on NBC ever again.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hannibal is pretty good. Parks too.

RIP Community. You got way more episode than we ever thought possible. And most were great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Boo hiss

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Rirse posted:

Guess this means I never have to turn on NBC ever again.

I'm going to wait to see if Hannibal is cancelled before I say that.

(Oh poo poo, and Parks and Rec....and Grimm....)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Brocktoon posted:

I'm going to wait to see if Hannibal is cancelled before I say that.

(Oh poo poo, and Parks and Rec....and Grimm....)

Hannibal was already renewed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Parks and Rec has already been renewed as well

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

This sucks, badly. I hope they can get the show picked up by Netflix or something. At the very least, a Kickstarter for a wrap-up movie would likely be completely possible.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
What the gently caress is NBC making room for I guess is my number one question

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sony was apparently shopping the show around to different networks pretty aggressively. There's hope, but not much. I wouldn't count on it, but it's a nice thought.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Karmine posted:

Intensive Karen, obviously.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

This sucks, badly. I hope they can get the show picked up by Netflix or something. At the very least, a Kickstarter for a wrap-up movie would likely be completely possible.

I'm never gonna argue AGAINST more Community, but wrap-up what?

(And it looks like Hannibal was renewed an hour ago. Sweet!)

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I knew it was only matter of time, but this is seriously bumming me out. :smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, yeah, I really have to wonder what the gently caress NBC thinks it's doing. It has nothing proven to replace it. About a Boy's ratings will not last in the face of BBT.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Sony was apparently shopping the show around to different networks pretty aggressively. There's hope, but not much. I wouldn't count on it, but it's a nice thought.

Maybe the CW or cable will pick it up, but I doubt the other big networks will want a show with Community's numbers.

I blame Chevy Chase and Donald Glover.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brocktoon posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say no to more Community but if this is the end that's fine. There's nothing to wrap up and I enjoyed that it got to go out on a good 5th season instead of the awful 4th.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

Just have a real, proper goodbye to the characters where they leave Greendale behind for good and move on with their lives. I just want a finale that was actually written as a finale.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe the CW or cable will pick it up, but I doubt the other big networks will want a show with Community's numbers.

I blame Chevy Chase and Donald Glover.

The CW doesn't do half-hour shows.

If someone picks it up it will be Hulu, is my guess.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Karmine posted:

NBC is actually in much better shape than they were a year ago, at least in comparison to the other networks. Thursday nights are still a crater for them, but there may not be much they can do about it at this point. Community's best chance for renewal was probably so it could be used as a sacrificial lamb against Thursday Night Football next fall but I guess NBC decided they'd rather throw on some more new comedies along with Parks and see if something sticks.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

Just have a real, proper goodbye to the characters where they leave Greendale behind for good and move on with their lives. I just want a finale that was actually written as a finale.

Wasn't the whole point of Season 5 that they tried to do that and their lives were a miserable failure? Greendale is where they belong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Time to hide my enjoyment of the show because Community fans will not let it go, like Firefly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Netflix brought back Arrested Development and has a lot of success with developing their own shows (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black) so I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up there. It would be a good fit with Community's demographics too. Hulu was well, but Netflix has the better track record.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

The CW doesn't do half-hour shows.

If someone picks it up it will be Hulu, is my guess.

Ah, news to me. Their "Whose Line" reboot is a full hour?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

twistedmentat posted:

Time to hide my enjoyment of the show because Community fans will not let it go, like Firefly.

Countdown until it becomes the next darling show of tumblr, complete with self-insert fanfic and ships.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MOTHER FUCKERS

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Capn Beeb posted:

Countdown until it becomes the next darling show of tumblr, complete with self-insert fanfic and ships.

What do you mean "until"?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, news to me. Their "Whose Line" reboot is a full hour?

They usually play it in hour long blocks. And thus far it's been used as a summer show and a Friday midseason replacement in its two respective new seasons. And it's much cheaper to produce than a scripted show like Community, which is kind of the point of why The CW rebooted it.

(The CW is not picking up Community.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Speaking of Netflix have there actually been hard numbers proving Arrested Development it was a "success"? I know I'm not the only one who found it a bit underwhelming and respect to those who did enjoy it but I've never actually heard anything definitive.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Here's hoping that all the actors find decent employment after this - especially Danny Pudi and Yvette Nicole Brown.

Though I guess that Pudi could go back to Acturial recruiting if nothing pans out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alan Smithee posted:

Speaking of Netflix have there actually been hard numbers proving Arrested Development it was a "success"? I know I'm not the only one who found it a bit underwhelming and respect to those who did enjoy it but I've never actually heard anything definitive.

Netflix doesn't release any hard numbers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alan Smithee posted:

With Netflix I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually matter how many people watched it; the measure of success would be "how many people signed up because of it?" In that regard, even if they didn't like it, I do think a lot of people signed up just to watch it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MrAristocrates posted:

Netflix doesn't release any hard numbers.

Yeah, I've honestly heard way more about House of Cards than anything else they've done. AD sorta just...happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
The way I see it there's no good reason for Netflix (or anyone else) to pick up Community now. It'd be like picking up Arrested Development after season 4. Dan Harmon came back and they gave him the creative freedom he always wanted. The result was season 5. Not a bad season overall, but certainly nothing spectacular either.

Judging from the cast (and creator) reactions it seems like they were expecting this. It doesn't seem like anyone's going to fight for another season in any form, which is perfectly understandable.

The impression i got pretty early into season 5 was that everybody involved understood that cancellation was pretty much a done deal from the get-go, that it would take a miracle to get a sixth season and that nobody really wanted that anyway.

• Locked thread