Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Old thread

The NBA draft is cool as hell and no other sport has such an immediate "player is drafted -> franchise is changed" effect. Granted, most rookies are Real Bad and some of them will never even play in the NBA. But the ones that do? They might be okay at defense someday and if that thought doesn't get your blood going then I don't even want to know you bro

The big question in this draft is not really one at all. Sure, between Wiggins and Embiid you have the dynamic of dark horse vs. big name, upside vs. polish, wing vs. big man, but realistically both are astoundingly good prospects and barring their careers going horribly off the rails, both will likely end up starting in the NBA for years.

The top five of this draft will likely go something like Wiggins/Embiid/Parker/Exum/Randle, with the top three sliding around depending on how the lottery shakes out and Exum and Randle grappling for that fourth spot. In the next tier you have players like Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon, Dario Saric, and Noah Vonleh: projected starters with all-star upside. Not as dazzling as the top 5 but still high quality players that would likely work their way into the top 5 of a weaker draft. After that, you have the McDermotts (lower ceiling but still project to start and/or fill niches), the Harrises (underwhelming college players with fantastic upside) and the Ennises (relative unknowns who had excellent seasons and surged their way up through the draft). In practical terms, it's a fairly safe draft with some good upside players. You don't necessarily have to be a genius to land on a solid pick.

Instead of trying to organize a composite draft which will largely be full of subjective evaluations and disagreeing blowhards, what I'll do instead is compile a top 5 for each position, which tends to be more rigid, and note team needs at each position. I'll also do writeups of the top 5 at each position and then anyone else the thread is curious about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Top 5 PG
1. Dante Exum
2. Marcus Smart
3. Tyler Ennis
4. Elfrid Payton
5. Kyle Anderson

Top 5 SG
1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Gary Harris
3. James Young
4. Nik Stauskas
5. Jordan Adams

Top 5 SF
1. Jabari Parker
2. Dario Saric
3. K.J. McDaniels
4. Rodney Hood
5. Jerami Grant

Top 5 PF
1. Julius Randle
2. Doug McDermott
3. Aaron Gordon
4. T.J. Warren
5. Clint Capela

Top 5 C
1. Joel Embiid
2. Noah Vonleh
3. Jusuf Nurkic
4. Mitch McGary
5. Kristaps Porzingis

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 9, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I thought the Harris twins were going back to UK?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

I thought the Harris twins were going back to UK?

Gary Harris is a shooting guard from MSU. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

Gary Harris is a shooting guard from MSU. :)

Ahh, when you said the Harrises, I thought you were talking about the twins. :p

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Those are Harrisons.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

(Elfrid Payton is better than Tyler Ennis)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mynameisjohn posted:

I also believe this :ssh:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
What about Hairstons?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Henchman of Santa posted:

Those are Harrisons.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

What about Hairstons?

Well, poo poo. So many similar last names. D:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mynameisjohn posted:

Nah.

I think Ennis is better than Smart too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'd go:

PG:
1. Dante Exum
2. Tyler Ennis
3. Marcus Smart
4. Shabazz Napier
5. Elfrid Payton
Sleeper: Jahii Carson

SG:
1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Gary Harris
3. Nik Stauskas
4. PJ Hariston
5. James Young
Sleeper: Jabari Brown

SF:
1. Jabari Paker
2. Dario Saric
3. Rodney Hood
4. Kyle Anderson
5. TJ Warren

PF:
1. Julius Randle
2. Adreian Payne
3. Doug McDermott
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Clint Capela
Sleeper: Jarnell Stokes

C:
1. Joel Embiid
2. Noah Vonleh
3. Mitch McGary
4. Jusuf Nurkic
5. I dunno who cares, Johnny O'Bryant or some euro guy

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 9, 2014

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
hahaha ahem im sorry Declan but im used to funny pictures and writeups can you go ahead and take care of that thanks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

hahaha ahem im sorry Declan but im used to funny pictures and writeups can you go ahead and take care of that thanks

Kristaps Porzingis is a funny name, that's all I got for now

(I'll be writing my balls off soon enough)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Cleanthony "Clean Anthony" Early, Elfrid and some Euro nonsense are likely the best of the crop, but the NBA should bow their heads in shame at the astounding recent surge in silly NFL names. Jadeveon Clowney, Barkevious Mingo, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, this draft got nothing on 'em. Still, it's a shame those young football men will all have traumatic brain injuries that ruin their lives before 2030.

Dante Exum's name being silly or sick as hell will depend on his play--Travis Outlaw is a shameful waste of a name, but Damian Lillard edit makes it work.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 9, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Travis Outlaw was perfect becaue he got drafted by the Blazers at the height of the JailBlazer era. Literally everyone who followed the NBA Draft was making "of course the Blazers will take the guy named Outlaw" jokes and then they actually did it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 9, 2014

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Asian Oprah posted:

Cleanthony "Clean Anthony" Early, Elfrid and some Euro nonsense are likely the best of the crop, but the NBA should bow their heads in shame at the astounding recent surge in silly NFL names. Jadeveon Clowney, Barkevious Mingo, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, this draft got nothing on 'em. Still, it's a shame those young football men will all have traumatic brain injuries that ruin their lives before 2030.

Dante Exum's name being silly or sick as hell will depend on his play--Travis Outlaw is a shameful waste of a name, but Damian Lillard edit makes it work.

Dante Exum is a great great name. Makes him sound like a renaissance writer who wrote with a latin name to sound prestigious. Julius Randle is a great name too, that's a name that rings out "NBA POWER FORWARD."

My list for this year outside of the first round guys that we're used to reading:
Khem Birch
Thanasis Antetokkounmpo, we already know his last name, but what a first name
Fuquan Edwin
Roscoe Smith - Good 70s name
Okaro White
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Alessandro Gentile
Adin Vrabac

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is there much chance that Hairston rises in the draft? He seems like a guy whose stock is low because of off-court stuff that'll look better to teams in workouts. It'd be nice if Charlotte could get a shooter late.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Weapon X will be a good nick name too

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I really don't have much to contribute to the draft threads so I don't post in them much but I feel the need to let you know that I appreciate the effort that you put in making them Declan.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Hairston has been tearing up the D-League but I think he's pretty much exclusively a scorer, probably first-off-the-bench type.

I don't really see teams in the top 20 going for him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WEREWAIF posted:

Bogdan Bogdanovic

I'm certain this guy has been drafted 3 or 4 times already.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Lockback posted:

I'm certain this guy has been drafted 3 or 4 times already.
I'm fairly sure the Nets signed him to multiple roster spots

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WHAT

ESPN.com posted:

The Sacramento Kings have launched what is believed to be the NBA's first crowdsourcing program to help make their draft pick.

The Kings will seek analysis on players from the public and eventually select two people to be in their draft room when they make their pick on June 26. Essentially the Kings are looking for amateurs to offer their analytics ideas to the team for free and in return they will be granted access.

General manager Pete D'Alessandro announced the program, what the team calls Draft 3.0, as part of a Reddit Ask Me Anything chat on Friday. The team has launched a website where would be analysts will be asked to give rankings of draft prospects and their statistical methodology. Contestants are to use information from publicly available statistical databases to create their systems.

There is no promise of a long-term job with the Kings to the winner or winners of the program but it is rather clearly an effort by team owner Vivek Ranadive and D'Alessandro to find potentially unknown or untapped talent in the increasingly competitive field of basketball analytics.

Crowd-sourcing a draft pick?

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
There's a Bogdan and Bojan Bogdanovic. The Nets have the rights to Bojan but 2 other teams had his rights before.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

WHAT

Vivek Ranadive posted:

3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

WHAT

Seems worth a shot, the draft is a crapshoot anyway, may as well get some press around it.

Willninho posted:

There's a Bogdan and Bojan Bogdanovic. The Nets have the rights to Bojan but 2 other teams had his rights before.

You're just making up funny names now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Seems worth a shot, the draft is a crapshoot anyway, may as well get some press around it.

Oh okay, let's not scout at all and just draw names out of a hat. It's a crapshoot!!!!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

a stats poster should try and get in the war room

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Bogdan means "God-given." Aleksandr Bogdanov (author of the early 20th century science fiction novel Red Star) changed his name to that because he was so full of himself...but died giving himself malaria/tuberculosis-infected blood transfusions when trying to achieve immortality.

Anyways, it's the best name in the draft since God Shammgod

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Oh okay, let's not scout at all and just draw names out of a hat. It's a crapshoot!!!!

I doubt they are just leaving it all up random internet strangers. See if anyone out there gives them anything slightly interesting for free and get some publicity out of it. Worst case, you disregard everything and just use your own data. Best case, you find some diamond in the rough to add to your front office.

Most likely case, Declan and dokmo get jobs in Sacramento

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

WhyteRyce posted:

Actually Vivek will realize the beauty of net points and hire zogo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

I doubt they are just leaving it all up random internet strangers. See if anyone out there gives them anything slightly interesting for free and get some publicity out of it. Worst case, you disregard everything and just use your own data. Best case, you find some diamond in the rough to add to your front office.

I think it's fine but "the draft is a crapshoot so who cares!" is a really dumb reason. It's not a complete crapshoot. There is a reason some teams are way better at it than others.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PDA seems like he has a sense of humor dokmo, so submitting penis charts to him could win you some points

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Time posted:

Actually Vivek will realize the beauty of net points and hire zogo.
haha

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I think it's fine but "the draft is a crapshoot so who cares!" is a really dumb reason. It's not a complete crapshoot. There is a reason some teams are way better at it than others.

I meant that having another data point, even if it is a dumb/useless one, likely isn't going to change the needle. If the guy who would have gotten picked 6th gets picked 5th, you likely haven't changed your odds of hitting the home run that much.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

Worked for the Browns

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
This is your chance Declan! Instead of watching every college game and taking notes for us ingrates, you could get a job doing it for an actual (kind of) NBA team.

Or MV, instead of moderating and dealing with such malcontents and head cases like Bashez or Doltos, you could be dealing with professional malcontents like Demarcus Cousins - it'd be like you never left!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Alright, boss, so my numbers say we should sign Ricky Davis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
"Well, if you must know, I think Andrew Wiggins is your wisest choice."

"Uh, Probably Magic, Wiggins is already drafted."

"Yeah, well, that's why they call it a 'contested claim.'"

• Locked thread