Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The show had a good run. This is sad but there are more tragic cancellations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
There's a reason that so many great people got wasted in useless cameos, they knew this was probably coming.

That being said, I'll :toxx: myself that we're getting at least one more Community, although I'll be damned if I know in what format.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah, biggest hurdle is honestly getting the hype train going again, which is hard without that "what could have been" fire from the fans. I wouldn't mind seeing season 6, but it's hard not to feel like its best episodes are behind it

What about Comedy Central? I don't even know what the hell kinda programming they do besides Daily Show/Colbert and Southpark

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Yoshifan823 posted:

The CW doesn't do half-hour shows.

If someone picks it up it will be Hulu, is my guess.

Hulu, 32% owned by NBC.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's about time. The show had a great run and I'd rather Dan Harmon put his time and energy behind new projects that are a better fit for his sensibilities and his audience (like Rick and Morty, which pulls similar numbers to Community but is considered a smash hit since it's on cable) than continue to drag along a cynical attempt at a network sitcom that is hemhorraging talent and budget with each new season.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's about time. The show had a great run and I'd rather Dan Harmon put his time and energy behind new projects that are a better fit for his sensibilities and his audience (like Rick and Morty, which pulls similar numbers to Community but is considered a smash hit since it's on cable) than continue to drag along a cynical attempt at a network sitcom that is hemhorraging talent and budget with each new season.

Community: the flash animated season 6 (aka the gimmickiest season)

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
But... You promised butt stuff...

:cry:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I knew it would likely happen eventually, but I feel empty inside...

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Can't say I'm surprised. But this still loving sucks. :smith:

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, the difference between Community's 5th season and Rick & Morty was startling. Of course they're very different shows. But you could really tell that there was a lot of enthusiasm and energy going into one of them, that the people involved were having a blast, while the other felt like it was mostly just anxious not to step on anyone's toes.

Community had a a good run, but if the end of season 5 proved anything, it's that there was nowhere left for this show to go except further up its own rear end in a top hat.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
RIP Community. You were great once.

Oh, and since Community is dead and gone, I have successfully beaten my Toxx. Suck it, nerds!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Remulak posted:

There's a reason that so many great people got wasted in useless cameos, they knew this was probably coming.

That being said, I'll :toxx: myself that we're getting at least one more Community, although I'll be damned if I know in what format.

Speaking as someone who toxxed himself over community; this is a dumb toxx

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Maxwell Lord posted:

The show had a good run. This is sad but there are more tragic cancellations.

I still get angry about Happy Endings never getting saved by cable, I'm not holding on to hope for this.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
I mean, the cancellation is a bit sad, but it is also kind of funny because Dan Harmon was so overconfident that he didn't even try to give season five a proper ending like with season three.

The last tag of the series will appropriately be Dan Harmon saying gently caress you to NBC and now NBC is saying gently caress you back.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there a master list of shows that were cancelled then picked up by another network?

Every time a show gets cancelled, people run through the other networks with a series of "maybe ABC will pick it up" "maybe TBS" "maybe Netflix", and I'm thinking, Cougar Town, Arrested Development, that's it. If a show is cancelled, it's gone, why grasp at straws?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This announcement made me verbally with my mouth parts laugh out loud more than the last season of Community has, it is at least 34% more funny.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there a master list of shows that were cancelled then picked up by another network?

Every time a show gets cancelled, people run through the other networks with a series of "maybe ABC will pick it up" "maybe TBS" "maybe Netflix", and I'm thinking, Cougar Town, Arrested Development, that's it. If a show is cancelled, it's gone, why grasp at straws?

SCRUBS?! gently caress SCRUBS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDCc48heqE

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

emoticon posted:

I mean, the cancellation is a bit sad, but it is also kind of funny because Dan Harmon was so overconfident that he didn't even try to give season five a proper ending like with season three.

Yeah, but then you run into a situation where every season finale is a series finale and it becomes loving tedious (see: Chuck). Its a sitcom, I don't need closure.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In the immortal words of Jim the Duck, what the hell!?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

literally your avatar

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Now we'll never know how Jeff met the mother. :sigh: At least the next Harmontown episode should be interesting listening.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Disappointing, but after the lackluster seasons four and five, it was time this show was put out of its misery.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm sad.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

emoticon posted:

The last tag of the series will appropriately be Dan Harmon saying gently caress you to NBC and now NBC is saying gently caress you back.

Yeah, this seems right.

Odds Dan Harmon writes at least 1000 words on his tumblr about this before 11:59pm PST Sunday? 80/20?

edit: Community was a good show, tho.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
The show seemed ready to end but, what the hell Parks got renewed? They've been running on fumes way longer than Community.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think I'd be okay with a Kickstarter movie as a wrapup without a sixth season, but I'll have to convince Dan tomorrow at Harmontown...

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I think Community is one of very few live-action properties that could work out as Adult Swim-style 10-minute minisodes. If the sixth season is 130 minutes total, they could garnish that a bit with extra scenes, call it a movie, and fulfill the prophecy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Occupation posted:

literally your avatar

also Buffy

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
My soul is dead!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Thanks for the good times, Community thread, I might never have watched this show if you weren't bitching about it getting snubbed in the 2010 Emmys thread. Also, thanks to whoever recommended that I watch Party Down, I think that was in this thread and you were spot on with that one. Also also, let's just not talk about how insufferably terrible you've been for the last few seasons

Silver lining, at least this might free up Joel McHale to replace Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show?...aw poo poo, Ferguson's leaving too :negative:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm okay with this. While Season Five was a giant upswing in quality, a lot of it was pretty joyless.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

24 came back.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Alan Smithee posted:

What about Comedy Central? I don't even know what the hell kinda programming they do besides Daily Show/Colbert and Southpark

Check out Nathan For You. Funniest show of 2013. Will it be the funniest show of 2014- that remains to be seen.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm hoping it's been cancelled to make room for a Koogler spinoff

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Donald Glover's wish has come true. Maybe now he can focus.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Check out Nathan For You. Funniest show of 2013. Will it be the funniest show of 2014- that remains to be seen.

I just burned through all of Review last week, and it was amazing. CC's plan of giving talented people (Key & Peele, Amy Schumer, Nathan Fielder) their own half-hour sandboxes is going very well.

Another silver lining: At least Rick and Morty is still on the air.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 9, 2014

Madame Ovary
Jul 22, 2013

CPColin posted:

I'm okay with this. While Season Five was a giant upswing in quality, a lot of it was pretty joyless.

Yeah, this is how I feel as well. I hope Gillian Jacobs won't stay unemployed or relegated to lovely minor roles in crap movies for long, though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's Always Sunny and Veep are still on the air so I really don't care that much about this news. Community was very funny until Harmon decided that jokes were for rubes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1st AD posted:

Community was very funny until Harmon decided that jokes were for rubes.

I'm glad the show got cancelled if it means I never have to read this one sentence you love reposting ever again.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

1st AD posted:

It's Always Sunny and Veep are still on the air so I really don't care that much about this news. Community was very funny until Harmon decided that jokes were for rubes.

Here's a controversial opinion: there were jokes and many of them were funny jokes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm glad the show got cancelled if it means I never have to read this one sentence you love reposting ever again.

If he posts it enough, it means he's not the minority opinion here, you see.

Guy spent 3 seasons watching a show he seems to absolutely hate made by someone he despises (and god does he let us know that at every opportunity). Frankly, it's a win if I never have to see it again.

• Locked thread