Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ALFbrot posted:

Here's a controversial opinion: there were jokes and many of them were funny jokes!!

There were jokes, many of them weren't funny also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Like do you guys seriously think this show got cancelled because it was just too perfect for this world and that it's NBCs fault that this show isn't making more money? Because Christ it became an awful mess for much of the last 3 seasons and I can't believe you want to see another season or a movie or whatever.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

1st AD posted:

Like do you guys seriously think this show got cancelled because it was just too perfect for this world and that it's NBCs fault that this show isn't making more money? Because Christ it became an awful mess for much of the last 3 seasons and I can't believe you want to see another season or a movie or whatever.

No, I think it got cancelled because not a whole lot of people watched it. Please stop projecting.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Yes it seriously was my favorite network sitcom...? What do you think we're doing here?

You're a weird dude fyi

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Where did anyone say any of that. Several of us simply enjoyed the last season and wouldn't say no to more. The majority of us understand that the show gets loving terrible ratings and that the only reason we got what we did is because NBC itself is in the shitter.

But hey, keep spouting bullshit and maybe it'll be true. You've been doing it for years now and maybe it'll work out for you eventually.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Plus it lost NBC less money than almost anything else they would throw against BBT.

Also dittoing on the fact that AD's a weird guy who think he's crushing nerds with hard truths!1!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had a long post written here but I think it's summed up better with this:

Shut the gently caress up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Despite Harmon's return, I felt season five was the weakest so far. It had fewer memorable moments, the concept episodes felt more forced, and I don't think they were very successful in filling the void left by Troy and Pierce (regardless of how much of a poo poo Chevy may have been, the character was valuable to the cast's dynamic).

I'm not especially torn up about the cancellation because even if the show were to improve, I think its best days would still be behind it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The corpse is still warm. Let us grieve before you poo poo all over the thread like you normally do.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
This is a little nuts, but is it okay to say that while I didn't love the last two seasons I still would have liked to see some more Community? Some of you are acting like this show was put out of its misery, I don't understand that. Community was, at most, guilty of not being as good as its best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Somberbrero posted:

This is a little nuts, but is it okay to say that while I didn't love the last two seasons I still would have liked to see some more Community? Some of you are acting like this show was put out of its misery, I don't understand that. Community was, at most, guilty of not being as good as its best.

I'm sure a lot of people agree with you, unfortunately in today's modern Internet age "a lot of people" also believe they are secretly a dragon, that it's OK to gently caress their dog, and that Naruto is a better show than anything America has ever produced.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1st AD posted:

There were jokes, many of them weren't funny also.

Would you say they were as bland and forgettable as your posts?

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Look I know comedy is subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I just have to say it: if you consider season 5 to be as weak or weaker than season 4 you have some sort of problem in your brain. I'm sad it's cancelled but at least it went out much better than if it had ended last year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

I'm sure a lot of people agree with you, unfortunately in today's modern Internet age "a lot of people" also believe they are secretly a dragon, that it's OK to gently caress their dog, and that Naruto is a better show than anything America has ever produced.

You just compared still liking Community to dogfucking. What the hell?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Somberbrero posted:

Assuming no one came back it was essentially putting it out of its misery. You wouldn't have Duncan, wouldn't have Hickey, and wouldn't have Troy, the last of which is the major reason why the last half of this season felt lacking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrAristocrates posted:

You just compared still liking Community to dogfucking. What the hell?

No I didn't. I was just pointing out that there are large groups of people who are into things and that does not really mean anything these days.

Blame Tumblr or God, not me.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

mclast posted:

The show seemed ready to end but, what the hell Parks got renewed? They've been running on fumes way longer than Community.

Not to derail, BUT: Parks is getting one final season, and there's a thing in the season six finale that makes the final season seem like it could actually be really interesting and a perfect sendoff. Spoiler for S6 finale: There's a three-year time jump forward, and Leslie's doing a different, much bigger job.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

precision posted:

No I didn't. I was just pointing out that there are large groups of people who are into things and that does not really mean anything these days.

Blame Tumblr or God, not me.

There have always been large groups of people into stupid poo poo, I don't know what kind of insight you think you're making but this post is essentially meaningless. I don't see what's so hard to understand about people wanting another season of Community when even just an OK season is going to be better than whatever affront-to-actual-comedy that NBC replaces it with.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Community: ABC- Amazon buys Community

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

onefish posted:

Not to derail, BUT: Parks is getting one final season, and there's a thing in the season six finale that makes the final season seem like it could actually be really interesting and a perfect sendoff. Spoiler for S6 finale: There's a three-year time jump forward, and Leslie's doing a different, much bigger job.

I'll watch it but I stand by my grumbling :colbert:

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Parks and Rec should've been canceled at least three seasons ago. At this point Amy Poehler's talent/fame ratio can only be compared to that of Charlie Sheen or Jim Belushi. But now she's comedy entertainment roaylty for some reason, and so I look forward to seeing her mediocre-at-best work go straight to series for the rest of my beshitted life.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, the last season of Parks wasn't all that great but I can't help but feel like that's a bit of an overstatement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Despite Harmon's return, I felt season five was the weakest so far. It had fewer memorable moments, the concept episodes felt more forced, and I don't think they were very successful in filling the void left by Troy and Pierce (regardless of how much of a poo poo Chevy may have been, the character was valuable to the cast's dynamic).

I'm not especially torn up about the cancellation because even if the show were to improve, I think its best days would still be behind it.

Totally agree here, I was all up for S5 after the shitshow that was 4 but it really wasn't the return to form many made it out to be.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Would you say they were as bland and forgettable as your posts?

If they were forgettable why do you remember them?

But to answer yes, they were just as unfunny as I am.

Cybershell posted:

Look I know comedy is subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I just have to say it: if you consider season 5 to be as weak or weaker than season 4 you have some sort of problem in your brain. I'm sad it's cancelled but at least it went out much better than if it had ended last year.

It's just about as bad, yes. In Season 5s favor though, they didn't do any Inspector Spacetime or Paintball poo poo. Also there were good episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cybershell posted:

There have always been large groups of people into stupid poo poo, I don't know what kind of insight you think you're making but this post is essentially meaningless. I don't see what's so hard to understand about people wanting another season of Community when even just an OK season is going to be better than whatever affront-to-actual-comedy that NBC replaces it with.

Please show me where I said I don't understand that people want more of this show. :confused:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1st AD posted:

If they were forgettable why do you remember them?

But to answer yes, they were just as unfunny as I am.

It's just about as bad, yes. In Season 5s favor though, they didn't do any Inspector Spacetime or Paintball poo poo. Also there were good episodes.

Oh my god, just go away.

precision posted:

Please show me where I said I don't understand that people want more of this show. :confused:

There's no reason to bring it up, though. You basically just posted "Hey man, lots of people want lots of dumb things. :smug:" The original post wasn't even about that, you brought it up on your own.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cybershell posted:

Sure, a sixth season of Community would totally outclass any other NBC comedies, probably every other network comedy. Even if the show continued to downslide. It'd be the best network comedy.

But you realize you're not limited to watching network comedies, right? There's plenty of really funny shows on other networks. Even if you don't count gas leak year, Season 5 was a sink in quality and worse, effort, and if that was just going to continue I don't mourn this too much.

I can still understand why others would be hopeful that a potential Season 6 would be suddenly re-energize all the cast and crew and writers. But it didn't seem likely to me, so if it was just going to be a final season that's only great when you compare it to Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men, I feel no regret here.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Remulak posted:

There's a reason that so many great people got wasted in useless cameos, they knew this was probably coming.

That being said, I'll :toxx: myself that we're getting at least one more Community, although I'll be damned if I know in what format.

Then why did they go out like they did? With a stupid, pointless GI Joe episode and a finale I still haven't watched? The season started a lot stronger than it ended.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Seasons 4 and 5 were what Abed saw when he entered the mini-dreamatorium at the end of Season 3 and decided to run a simulation of a gas leak at Greendale, before switching to a simulation of reality disappearing up its own rear end in a top hat.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I want a canister of frozen Community sperm.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

MrAristocrates posted:

I mean, the last season of Parks wasn't all that great but I can't help but feel like that's a bit of an overstatement.

It really isn't. Parks and recs hasn't even tried to be funny in years. It just coasts along on inexplicable establishment goodwill. Like, even the actors would've been happy if it ended after season 5. By now it's just spectacularly unfunny self parody.

juniperjones posted:

Then why did they go out like they did? With a stupid, pointless GI Joe episode and a finale I still haven't watched? The season started a lot stronger than it ended.

Because Donald Glover left and after that Dan Harmon didn't want anything more to do with Community, but he was stuck with a contract for 13 episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Did he say that? When?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

juniperjones posted:

The GI Joe episode was pushed way back in the schedule because they didn't finish it until like the morning it aired. I bet they wish it could have aired earlier.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
If only they could go back in time and rewrite seasons 4 and 5.

I'll mourn Happy Endings more then Community. But I still like the first three seasons so those can be the happy memories.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I saw 110 new posts and knew the worst had happened.

:smith:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I liked S4 more than 5. at least Troy was there.

ending the series on that Jeff/Britta bullshit is just hilarious. but not in the way they intended

edit: and removing pierce was just the loving death blow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CPColin posted:

The GI Joe episode was pushed way back in the schedule because they didn't finish it until like the morning it aired. I bet they wish it could have aired earlier.

It didn't really feel like it could've gone anywhere else though.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
It never reached season 2 prime ever again but still sad to see it go. Britta was the best female sitcom character since Elaine.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Supercar Gautier posted:

I disagree pretty strongly - Hickey was a great addition to the group, and the second D&D episode was one of the best they've ever done. The "Road Warrior" episode was also really funny. Plus, it didn't have the forced, chemistry-free Troy-Britta relationship, so it was objectively better than season 4.

Everybody who is saying that the show got put out of its misery has lost perspective. It doesn't matter if a sixth season wouldn't be as funny as season 2. It would still be funny, and certainly funnier than anything that NBC will replace it with. Which, at this rate, will likely be hosted by Leno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I love Community and I still feel like it was time. Season 5 had several excellent episodes but it mostly felt like it was running on empty even with Harmon in charge. It's for the best, as the remaining cast is uber-talented and this will free them up for other great roles, and Harmon can focus more on self-destructing or Rick and Morty or whatever he's doing now.

As for remembering the show, I'll just pretend the Season 3 montage was the end. Holy cow was the season 5 finale a terrible series finale.

R.I.P. Community, watch Rick and Morty.

• Locked thread