Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Rest in peace Community. For a few seasons this was the funniest show on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Still pretty upset... Community is like sex, bad Community is still better than no Community at all.

gently caress you NBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuIZCJEu9a4

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

MrAristocrates posted:

Did he say that? When?

Of course he never said that. If he did that, he might just as well take a big liquid poo poo all over the remainder of the show. He didn't have to; it was perfectly obvious. The difference between the screener episodes and what followed couldn't have been starker.

Chexoid posted:

It never reached season 2 prime ever again but still sad to see it go. Britta was the best female sitcom character since Elaine.

You're goddamn right. On both counts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakarja posted:

Of course he never said that. If he did that, he might just as well take a big liquid poo poo all over the remainder of the show. He didn't have to; it was perfectly obvious. The difference between the screener episodes and what followed couldn't have been starker.

Oh okay then. I thought you were full of poo poo, just needed to confirm it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eh, you really should have expected it when NBC announced lots of renewals 2 months ago and stayed mum here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Mister Fister posted:

Still pretty upset... Community is like sex, bad Community is still better than no Community at all.

This, a thousand times this.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I love Community and I still feel like it was time. Season 5 had several excellent episodes but it mostly felt like it was running on empty even with Harmon in charge.

I don't think you can blame that on Harmon. The show suffered some major blows - season 4 really did suck and the show had to narratively dig its way out, Donald Glover left, and I'm sure the NBC execs were riding Harmon and the other writers pretty hard. The fact that they managed to still roll with the punches and pull out a pretty funny season is testament to how good they are. I think a season 6 would have been a return to form.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

One of the biggest problems with Season 4 was that so much of it was an inferior retread of previous seasons...and honestly, Season 5 felt that way a lot of the time too. Even if Inspector Spacetime was gone, Abed in particular is a character I've found incredibly obnoxious for much of the time going back to Season 3, and the diminished main cast only served to highlight that problem. The show just didn't feel very inspired anymore, so while I would have still watched Season 6 if it had aired, I can't say I'm very upset that it's gone.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If this means Harmon can concentrate more on Rick & Morty, I'm not particularly upset.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Lord Of Texas posted:

Holy cow was the season 5 finale a terrible series finale.

Season 4's finale was so much worse. Or do you forget, "We made paintball cool again" :iamafag:

Chexoid posted:

It never reached season 2 prime ever again but still sad to see it go. Britta was the best female sitcom character since Elaine.

A bold statement, but I think you're right.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Majorian posted:

I don't think you can blame that on Harmon. The show suffered some major blows - season 4 really did suck and the show had to narratively dig its way out, Donald Glover left, and I'm sure the NBC execs were riding Harmon and the other writers pretty hard. The fact that they managed to still roll with the punches and pull out a pretty funny season is testament to how good they are. I think a season 6 would have been a return to form.

I didn't blame it on Harmon, I said "even with Harmon in charge". The Pierce episode, the Duncan/Britta episode, and Meow Meow Beenz are some of my favorite episodes of the series. The lack of Troy really did hurt the second half of the season, I agree. They were also fighting the demon every aging sitcom fights, coming up with original material that still fits in the context of the show. Many of the episodes felt like retreads, because they were in a lot of ways, but that's just the reality of a show which has already mined enough material for 80+ self-contained episodes.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Season 4's finale was so much worse. Or do you forget, "We made paintball cool again" :iamafag:

Yes, it was terrible, but at least there weren't any expectations based on the rest of Season 4. And honestly, the season 3 finale actually wasn't that great as a whole, but the montage was so fantastic I can forgive the rest.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Lord Of Texas posted:

I didn't blame it on Harmon, I said "even with Harmon in charge". The Pierce episode, the Duncan/Britta episode, and Meow Meow Beenz are some of my favorite episodes of the series. The lack of Troy really did hurt the second half of the season, I agree. They were also fighting the demon every aging sitcom fights, coming up with original material that still fits in the context of the show. Many of the episodes felt like retreads, because they were in a lot of ways, but that's just the reality of a show which has already mined enough material for 80+ self-contained episodes.

Fair enough, but still - I didn't read the pitfalls in season 5 to be the result of Harmon & co running out of ideas. I think it was them trying to compensate for the major changes, expected or unexpected, that they encountered during its course. There was still fertile ground for another good season or two, in my opinion.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

MrAristocrates posted:

Oh okay then. I thought you were full of poo poo, just needed to confirm it.

And yet, if that was all there was to it, you would've simply been content and there wouldn't have been any need for that parting shot... alas

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dude, you're just making poo poo up and proclaiming it as the obvious truth.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Chexoid posted:

Ahem.

Selina Meyer.

Majorian posted:

Everybody who is saying that the show got put out of its misery has lost perspective. It doesn't matter if a sixth season wouldn't be as funny as season 2. It would still be funny, and certainly funnier than anything that NBC will replace it with. Which, at this rate, will likely be hosted by Leno.

NBC is a poo poo network that produces poo poo shows, being at the top of that poo poo heap is not an accomplishment worth bragging about.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

1st AD posted:

Ahem.

Selina Meyer.

NBC is a poo poo network that produces poo poo shows, being at the top of that poo poo heap is not an accomplishment worth bragging about.

If I had a show on NBC, I'd consider that a huge accomplishment.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Veep is a bad show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not gonna miss this thread.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

why the gently caress do people in this forum think they can read TV writers' minds? :psyduck: It's a really weird brand of bullshit I never see anywhere else.

So this cancellation bothers me more than I thought it would. I guess the jump from "yeah, they should probably stop now" to "gently caress that's it forever" is pretty jarring. Some bits of S5 were great but drat I wish they'd just stopped at S3, then the show could have had a proper ending.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

Dude, you're just making poo poo up and proclaiming it as the obvious truth.

Not at all. There's plenty of support for it in the interwievs and podcasts Dan Harmon took part in during and after the making of season 5. As for my last post, it doesn't even "proclaim" anything. And yet you know it to be true. Let it go, move on to stage five.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

1st AD posted:

Yes, I know, but "Community" season 6 could be on Fox News for all I care. I'd still watch it - and I'm someone who really, really loving hates Fox News. The worst "Community" episode is still going to be one of the better things on TV most of the time.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think a lot of you guys don't watch a ton of TV or even other sitcoms because that hasn't been true for like 2 years?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sakarja posted:

Not at all. There's plenty of support for it in the interwievs and podcasts Dan Harmon took part in during and after the making of season 5. As for my last post, it doesn't even "proclaim" anything. And yet you know it to be true. Let it go, move on to stage five.

I've probably not seen every interview with Harmon, but I've read and seen quite a few, and I don't remember anything that indicated that he was done. Can you link something that says that or implies that? I'm curious.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 10, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

1st AD posted:

I think a lot of you guys don't watch a ton of TV or even other sitcoms because that hasn't been true for like 2 years?

Name some of them. I don't mean this as a challenge, I'm actually curious to hear what sitcom you think is both funnier and more engaging on a character level than Community right now.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
brooklyn nine nine is real good

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I do like that one a lot too, but I dunno. I don't think it hits me on the same emotional level as "Community" manages to do at its best. I might be saying otherwise next season though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

New Girl
Brooklyn Nine Nine
It's Always Sunny
Veep
Louie

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

dongsbot 9000 posted:

brooklyn nine nine is real good

Yeah. B99 reminds me a lot of P&R back when P&R was really loving good. That said, there will probably never be another show with Community's unique voice, but there will always be good comedies on tv worth watching.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah. B99 reminds me a lot of P&R back when P&R was really loving good. That said, there will probably never be another show with Community's unique voice, but there will always be good comedies on tv worth watching.

^agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7o5Tvd641Q

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Majorian posted:

I do like that one a lot too, but I dunno. I don't think it hits me on the same emotional level as "Community" manages to do at its best. I might be saying otherwise next season though.

It is hard to get something that hits both the comedy & emotional beats the same way Community did. Rick & Morty is funnier than this season of Community but it de-emphasizes emotional stuff. I'd suggest other cartoons like Adventure Time and Steven Universe fit that role but that's not a fight I'm looking for so please just pretend I didn't say that if you really hate that idea.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

1st AD posted:

New Girl

Half a season ago I would have agreed with you. Right now, it is the Darkest Timeline for New Girl, in my opinion.

XboxPants posted:

It is hard to get something that hits both the comedy & emotional beats the same way Community did. Rick & Morty is funnier than this season of Community but it de-emphasizes emotional stuff. I'd suggest other cartoons like Adventure Time and Steven Universe fit that role but that's not a fight I'm looking for so please just pretend I didn't say that if you really hate that idea.

Don't hate it at all - I'm a big Adventure Time fan.:)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'm actually with 1st AD. Community felt for a long time like some dog-eared tatty cheap thing clung to by a tiny handful of increasingly unhinged and desperate fans. I think the show was actually at its strongest when it felt more like a real and sincere mainstream sitcom and less like an increasingly niche product where every other episode was animated with yogurt pots. So I'm kind of relieved it's finished.

I used to be of the opinion that "the suits" and network execs were all evil and didn't know great art when they saw it etc tc, but in recent years I've come to think they know a lame show when they see one. I hope Community doesn't get zombified into some godawful new thing like Arrested Development was. (cue a billion people insisting AD Season 4 didn't suck >>>)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Popcorn posted:

I'm actually with 1st AD. Community felt for a long time like some dog-eared tatty cheap thing clung to by a tiny handful of increasingly unhinged and desperate fans. I think the show was actually at its strongest when it felt more like a real and sincere mainstream sitcom and less like an increasingly niche product where every other episode was animated with yogurt pots. So I'm kind of relieved it's finished.

I used to be of the opinion that "the suits" and network execs were all evil and didn't know great art when they saw it etc tc, but in recent years I've come to think they know a lame show when they see one. I hope Community doesn't get zombified into some godawful new thing like Arrested Development was. (cue a billion people insisting AD Season 4 didn't suck >>>)

But again, nobody's claiming that season 5 was as good as season 2, or that season 6 would be as funny - just that it would still be funny and well-written. Sufficiently good to justify having it around. Just because I didn't think Futurama's last season was its strongest doesn't mean that I didn't really appreciate having that last season.

e: To be fair, I would probably be singing a different tune if season 5's finale gave us a little more closure. I still liked it as an episode, but yeah, as a series finale it didn't really work.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 10, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dan Harmon's probably real mad about this which is funny because the Season Five finale was loving awful and it was clearly Harmon just going "I AM UNTOUCHABLE!" so the fact that it backfired is cool.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Popcorn posted:

Now this is the sort of thing I just don't understand. I mean, I get it that you apparently didn't like it, and that's fine, it's all opinion and people like different things. But not wanting it to come back just because you aren't enjoying it is just such a child's attitude. Well I don't like thing, so no one should get thing! I didn't particularly care for the new Arrested Development, but I know plenty of people did so what does it really matter? If Community finds a new way to air episodes, maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll be poo poo, either way it's pretty certain that at least one person will enjoy them and that doesn't hurt you in any way.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jummy posted:

Now this is the sort of thing I just don't understand. I mean, I get it that you apparently didn't like it, and that's fine, it's all opinion and people like different things. But not wanting it to come back just because you aren't enjoying it is just such a child's attitude. Well I don't like thing, so no one should get thing! I didn't particularly care for the new Arrested Development, but I know plenty of people did so what does it really matter? If Community finds a new way to air episodes, maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll be poo poo, either way it's pretty certain that at least one person will enjoy them and that doesn't hurt you in any way.

Because people don't know how to just stop loving watching a thing after the point where they have clearly stopped enjoying it, instead insisting on continuing to do so while daring the show on a weekly basis to make them like it. Turns out it makes for an even shittier viewing experience for them, and an even worse thread for everyone else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jummy posted:

Would you say this same logic applied to Season 4?

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I would say this logic applies to every tv show ever aired.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It was a good thing that Community increasingly pushed at what the format could do. Was The Avengers better when it was a normal spy show? Would Twin Peaks have been as good as a normal detective series? I'm glad that NBC remained a tire fire long enough for Harmon and company to do some wonderfully weird things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Speaking of HBO comedies, Silicon Valley is also starting to really hit its stride.

Also speaking of political comedies, Alpha House on Amazon Prime is hilarious and renewed for a second season.

• Locked thread