Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

BillyJoeBob posted:

Where can I find a jerry can to refuel my car? I brought a 25L fuel drum to a car that ran out of gas and apparently those don't work. I don't really want to hoof it in Darkscape.

E: I found a jeep, that's a lot nicer than my busted Lada. :toot:

Whups, was going to reply, totally forgot sidrovich sells jerry cans, and I think there are three in agroprom.

Has anyone got a BTR, or whatever those yellow apc things are called, and can they say what fuel it takes? I only have 100k roubles from selling to/killing everything not loner or duty in the darkest of valleys, oh, actually. I have a save with enough, I guess I will go find out.

poo poo, 500k Roubles. ugh.

staberind fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

Lost Alpha's plot takes a quite hilarious fan-fictionesque turn a bit into the game. I still haven't finished it though, I keep getting fed up with the huge distances you need to run between every mission just to talk to some dude and then run all the way back or something. It could really do with some kind of fast travel system.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Nehacoo posted:

Lost Alpha's plot takes a quite hilarious fan-fictionesque turn a bit into the game. I still haven't finished it though, I keep getting fed up with the huge distances you need to run between every mission just to talk to some dude and then run all the way back or something. It could really do with some kind of fast travel system.

There's a mod on the GSC forums called 'The Guiders' that allows NPCs to take you directly to areas as fast travel. Works pretty great for me. Takes you right to groups of friendly stalkers too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That was one thing I like about Clear Sky. You can pay people to take you places. Severely reduces the amount of bullshit backtracking.

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

nexus6 posted:

There's a mod on the GSC forums called 'The Guiders' that allows NPCs to take you directly to areas as fast travel. Works pretty great for me. Takes you right to groups of friendly stalkers too.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Is it compatible with existing save files?

Ddraig posted:

That was one thing I like about Clear Sky. You can pay people to take you places. Severely reduces the amount of bullshit backtracking.

The SoC method of not having a lot of bullshit backtracking works pretty well too. In general all areas in SoC have self contained missions and when done you just continue to the next map. A bit linear, perhaps, but it creates much better game flow.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Nehacoo posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that. Is it compatible with existing save files?

Sure is, it just appears to add extra dialog to some existing friendly NPCs such as Baldy - the guy in the corner in the bar. Only thing is they don't ask for money so it might seem a bit like a cheat but I only use it for ridiculous backtracking of places I have just been through e.g. escaping dark valley, driving all the way through darkscape and walking through the near pitch black mines only for an NPC to take away all my gear and tell me to go back to the bandit base in dark valley.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Just got a survarium invite last night, any other goons in, and is there a dedicated thread I'm missing somewhere?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Hauki posted:

Just got a survarium invite last night, any other goons in, and is there a dedicated thread I'm missing somewhere?

Yeah, it's in the MMO HMO for whatever reason. I'm in as robotrandy

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Why is it recommended to run Lost Alpha in XP compatibility mode? Since I disabled it my load times are now in seconds, not minutes.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

There's something missing. You can find out what it is by checking the bottom of your last log file.

OK, here's what I found in xray_username in _appdata\logs:
code:
FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression    : fatal error
[error]Function      : CInifile::r_section
[error]File          : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrCore\Xr_ini.cpp
[error]Line          : 502
[error]Description   : <no expression>
[error]Arguments     : Can't open section 'wpn_m1891'. Please attach [*.ini_log] file to your bug report
Know what this means? It's my first time futzing around with CoP files to this extent so it doesn't mean much to me right now.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So, just installed lost alpha and did a few starter missions before releasing the game wouldn't let me reload. At all. Pressed the key, went to settings and changed the key, fired off all the bullets in the mag, nothing. And then it crashed to desktop but then its a STALKER game so I'm not that surprised. Anyone else have that problem or have any idea how to fix it?

Hauki posted:

Whoa, they're already handing out invites? I haven't been following it all but I figured it'd be another year or so before they had anything presentable. Any chance they're still handing out invites or has that ship long since sailed?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

OK, here's what I found in xray_username in _appdata\logs:
code:
FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression    : fatal error
[error]Function      : CInifile::r_section
[error]File          : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrCore\Xr_ini.cpp
[error]Line          : 502
[error]Description   : <no expression>
[error]Arguments     : Can't open section 'wpn_m1891'. Please attach [*.ini_log] file to your bug report
Know what this means? It's my first time futzing around with CoP files to this extent so it doesn't mean much to me right now.
In the weapons.ltx you need to add #include "w_m1891.ltx" to the list.

Like this:
code:
#include "w_ak74.ltx"
#include "w_ak74u.ltx"
#include "w_fn2000.ltx"
#include "w_rpg7.ltx"
#include "w_knife.ltx"
#include "w_bolt.ltx"
#include "w_f1.ltx"
#include "w_rgd5.ltx"
#include "w_gd5.ltx"
#include "w_rg6.ltx"
#include "w_m1891.ltx"
Any new weapon not extending from an existing one has to be added in the weapons.ltx like that.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 9, 2014

Hauki
May 11, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So, just installed lost alpha and did a few starter missions before releasing the game wouldn't let me reload. At all. Pressed the key, went to settings and changed the key, fired off all the bullets in the mag, nothing. And then it crashed to desktop but then its a STALKER game so I'm not that surprised. Anyone else have that problem or have any idea how to fix it?

Whoa, they're already handing out invites? I haven't been following it all but I figured it'd be another year or so before they had anything presentable. Any chance they're still handing out invites or has that ship long since sailed?
They have some sort of lottery system going where you get a gradually increasing number of entries based on how long you've registered at their website/applied for beta and they draw a name every few minutes or so I think.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

You have to put bullets on your belt.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

Time to read Zinn posted:

I've been playing a lot of Clear Sky lately. I wish I didn't fight so many human enemies, but the game looks amazing and is way more challenging and fun than SoC.

Clear Sky??! I liked it more than most people but it was anything but challenging. I beat it in literally one day. I don't think I even had to use an artifact. SoC took me weeks. CoP was a fairly good restoration of difficulty though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

nexus6 posted:

Why is it recommended to run Lost Alpha in XP compatibility mode? Since I disabled it my load times are now in seconds, not minutes.

Originally, it was the only way to make it keep your graphical setting and keyboard bindings. I suspect they fixed that with the patch.

I'd still run it in admin mode just in case.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hauki posted:

They have some sort of lottery system going where you get a gradually increasing number of entries based on how long you've registered at their website/applied for beta and they draw a name every few minutes or so I think.
Whelp, time to sign up then. Thanks for the info.

Coughing Hobo posted:

You have to put bullets on your belt.
:negative: It's me, I'm the idiot. Although in my defense that's not exactly intuitive. Does it tell you that anywhere ingame, cuz I'll openly admit I was kind of skipping through most of the dialogue since I was assuming the very beginning is more or less the same as SoC. Just how much does it vary from that plot anyway? Someone else compared it to fanfiction earlier and that worries me. I read that STALKER: Southern Comfort book when it came out and that was loving awful so I've been burned non-GSC stories before...

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
The manual PDF on ModDB mentions it I believe, but I doubt it says it in game.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I had to go looking for how to load my gun on Google as well so they don't exactly make it easy to find.

Has Survarium progressed past its Team Death match stage yet? I mean i see they are stopping the sale of Founders packs on monday so something might be happening but as cool and Stalkerish as the game looks I don't see buying in just yet anyway.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

In the weapons.ltx you need to add #include "w_m1891.ltx" to the list.

Any new weapon not extending from an existing one has to be added in the weapons.ltx like that.

Thanks, that did the trick! Now I'm mostly working away at the smaller stuff, so I'll probably be coming back a couple more times with questions. Here's the first one: what folder holds the idle animations? Game's crashing and the log says:
code:
FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression    : pm->m_animations.size()
[error]Function      : player_hud_motion_container::load
[error]File          : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrGame\player_hud.cpp
[error]Line          : 92
[error]Description   : motion not found [ppsh_idle]
In case you're wondering, I'm trying to add two weapons to Shoker from Way To Pripyat: the PPSh 41 and the Mosin-Nagant (which pops up in the file names as m1891), and so far only the PPSh has actually shown up on Hawaiian's inventory so that's the one I'm working on now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If I remember right animations in CoP are kept in weapon hud models, so one hud model could contain several animations and it's not obvious which one it is. It's usually the AK hud. This is why moving weapons between COP mods can be such a pain in the rear end. SoC is much simpler.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Thanks, that did the trick! Now I'm mostly working away at the smaller stuff, so I'll probably be coming back a couple more times with questions. Here's the first one: what folder holds the idle animations? Game's crashing and the log says:
code:
FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression    : pm->m_animations.size()
[error]Function      : player_hud_motion_container::load
[error]File          : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrGame\player_hud.cpp
[error]Line          : 92
[error]Description   : motion not found [ppsh_idle]
In case you're wondering, I'm trying to add two weapons to Shoker from Way To Pripyat: the PPSh 41 and the Mosin-Nagant (which pops up in the file names as m1891), and so far only the PPSh has actually shown up on Hawaiian's inventory so that's the one I'm working on now.
There's a much better MN91 from OWR 2.0 than the piece of poo poo in WTP. It would be easier to install and you get the added bonus of the SVT40, MN91 and SVD animations all in one package.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
Clear Sky is just the most chill game. I don't know if that's what one wants from STALKER but it's what I want.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

There's a much better MN91 from OWR 2.0 than the piece of poo poo in WTP. It would be easier to install and you get the added bonus of the SVT40, MN91 and SVD animations all in one package.

You sure it's OWR 2.0? I'm looking through the gamedata's weapon configs for that mod (and the patches/addons) and can't find a single mention of either the MN91 or SVT40. Are the files on ModDB up to date, or is there somewhere else I should be checking that does have the relevant files?

e: fwiw I managed to get the Nagant from Arsenal Overhaul working just fine. Now I only need to get the textures working (which is a bit harder than I thought it would be) dig up where the inventory/trade icon for that gun is, add the scope, and I should be all set.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 10, 2014

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Ddraig posted:

For those wanting to play Clear Sky, I've made this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Faction%20Commander%20OGSM.7z

A combination of Faction Commander and OGSM Clear Sky

Has a few extra elements from SGM etc.

The included XrGame.dll contains the X-Ray extensions which includes things like first person death, body collision and such. Optional, but recommended.

Also, be sure to check out fc_options.ltx in the configs folder - it has many options you can tweak!

I installed this last night and found out that when I try to load a saved game, it would crash at the 'Synchronising' stage. Any ideas what the problem could be? This is what I get in the crash log:

CLIENT: Synchronizing...
* phase time: 321 ms
* phase cmem: 445825 K
* [win32]: free[2229112 K], reserved[88964 K], committed[1876164 K]
* [ D3D ]: textures[596426 K]
* [x-ray]: crt heap[445823 K], process heap[14031 K], game lua[65771 K], render[3938 K]
* [x-ray]: economy: strings[16828 K], smem[7814 K]
! [LUA][ERROR] ERROR: WeatherManager:set_state_as_string: malformed state string. 
! Cannot find saved game ~~~ weathermanager:set_state_as_string: malformed state string. 

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : fatal error
[error]Function : CScriptEngine::lua_error
[error]File : E:\priquel\sources\engine\xrServerEntities\script_engine.cpp
[error]Line : 180
[error]Description : <no expression>
[error]Arguments : LUA error: ....t.a.l.k.e.r. - clear sky\gamedata\scripts\_g.script:973: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)

It seems to happen every time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's usually a sign of save game corruption. Unfortunately as I released that I played through the story a bit and found it would happen. I managed to fix it, as it was due to several fixes not incorporated into the xr scripts.

Unfortunately it is on the hard drive in my now dead laptop so I have no way to get at it at the moment. Right now I'd suggest not using that for the moment.

OGSM and faction commander are both very stable, I just screwed up. My fault, so hopefully either don't get a bad rep

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 10, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey, sorry for the boring question. I've played SoC a number of times and CoP twice. Last time I played SoC was a few years back, pretty sure I played with Oblivion Lost which was fun. Probably after something not as hardcore, but something similar would be good, eg. I love the survival aspect of the mod eg. having to run for cover when the blowouts come. Should I stick with Oblivion Lost or is AMK a better choice?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Sphrin posted:

Has Survarium progressed past its Team Death match stage yet? I mean i see they are stopping the sale of Founders packs on monday so something might be happening but as cool and Stalkerish as the game looks I don't see buying in just yet anyway.

It's still just team deathmatch. A pretty cool team deathmatch though. I bought into the beta (by getting the $10 Founder's Pack) a few weeks ago. It's kind of like Red Orchestra in a STALKER setting.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

You sure it's OWR 2.0? I'm looking through the gamedata's weapon configs for that mod (and the patches/addons) and can't find a single mention of either the MN91 or SVT40. Are the files on ModDB up to date, or is there somewhere else I should be checking that does have the relevant files?

e: fwiw I managed to get the Nagant from Arsenal Overhaul working just fine. Now I only need to get the textures working (which is a bit harder than I thought it would be) dig up where the inventory/trade icon for that gun is, add the scope, and I should be all set.
In OWR the new weapons extend from the existing ones. The MN91 and SVT40 weapon parameters are in the w_svd.ltx. I keep them separate in my mod for easier access. If you haven't already, you'll have to use the SVD from my mod since whatever model you have is now incompatible with the hand animations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm either really terrible at videogames lately or the guys in this game have like ESP. I literally could not be able to sneak up on a deaf and blind person in this game. :psyduck:

i.e. Could anyone give me tips for stealthing in this game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

After blazing through :darksouls: 2 in a week I had an itch for something similarly difficult and depressing. Having never actually beaten SoC, I went through that in about seven hours on veteran difficulty and found it disappointingly easy. Ended up dropping stacks of ammo just to save room.

Then I installed the Misery mod and tried that. I had a cursory experience with Pripyat previously, but didn't get very far. But Misery... that's good poo poo. I barely know what is going on and it's hard as nails, but it hurts SO GOOD.

Six bullets, a broken rifle, and overactive adrenal glands, that's what survival horror is all about. Puts all the other SH games of late to shame.

E.

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm either really terrible at videogames lately or the guys in this game have like ESP. I literally could not be able to sneak up on a deaf and blind person in this game. :psyduck:

The stealth in the game is kind of twitchy. A few things:

1) Crouch move to move quietly.

2) Don't jump or knock things over (not sure about the latter, but I think they notice it)

3) When you get into knifing distance make sure you aim for the head, just in case, and use the strong attack (mouse 2)

4) Fight the urge to quicksave right before you go in for the kill. The way the engine works causes enemies to lose focus on whatever they were doing when you quickload because it loads them in clean every time. So if you are sneaking up on someone that is distracted or on a set path and later quickload then they will probably instantly notice you when you load in.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 11, 2014

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Contra Calculus posted:

If you're playing SoC, don't bother. The only possible stealth kill you can accomplish is killing someone in one shot with a silent weapon without being seen by the target or anyone else.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

After blazing through :darksouls: 2 in a week I had an itch for something similarly difficult and depressing. Having never actually beaten SoC, I went through that in about seven hours on veteran difficulty and found it disappointingly easy. Ended up dropping stacks of ammo just to save room.

Then I installed the Misery mod and tried that. I had a cursory experience with Pripyat previously, but didn't get very far. But Misery... that's good poo poo. I barely know what is going on and it's hard as nails, but it hurts SO GOOD.

Six bullets, a broken rifle, and overactive adrenal glands, that's what survival horror is all about. Puts all the other SH games of late to shame.
I suggest Lost Alpha.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

E.Nigma posted:

In OWR the new weapons extend from the existing ones. The MN91 and SVT40 weapon parameters are in the w_svd.ltx. I keep them separate in my mod for easier access. If you haven't already, you'll have to use the SVD from my mod since whatever model you have is now incompatible with the hand animations.

I forgot you did Arsenal Overhaul! Speaking of it, actually, I've been having a tough time getting the textures to work. What file holds the folder the weapon files will looks for to get the textures? I've tried putting the mosin skins in all different kinds of folders and such within gamedata\meshes\dynamics\weapons but the gun keeps on coming up gray every time I test it out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there any recommended Misery Unfucked patches for 2.1? I just finished CoP and I wanted to try it out because hey, it has a lot of really nice features. But I remember people talking of fixes for some of the dev team's ideas.

EDIT: Or spawn mods, really. I kind of want to toy around with all the new stuff they added.

EDIT 2: Pseudogiant spawned in the tall grass surrounding Skadovsk. :shepface:

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 11, 2014

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

I forgot you did Arsenal Overhaul! Speaking of it, actually, I've been having a tough time getting the textures to work. What file holds the folder the weapon files will looks for to get the textures? I've tried putting the mosin skins in all different kinds of folders and such within gamedata\meshes\dynamics\weapons but the gun keeps on coming up gray every time I test it out.

Mosin textures go in "gamedata\textures\r_pop". If the textures are missing in game you can find out where they go back checking the last log file and searching it for the word "can't". It will bring up a bunch of lines about not being able to find textures in the directory they're suppose to be in.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Anyone else encountering a glitch in lost alpha where nothing is clickable on fox's repair/modify menu aside from repair and exit? I just rescued the bastard via a glorious quick draw moment where I killed all five of the sin guys in under 5 seconds and now I wanna mod my stuff :(
And I'm assuming it's nothing like "I need to find him a set of tools" because I did manage to briefly select the first upgrade on my armor after a solid 30 seconds of spastic and utterly random clicking that I haven't been able to recreate since.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Anyone else encountering a glitch in lost alpha where nothing is clickable on fox's repair/modify menu aside from repair and exit? I just rescued the bastard via a glorious quick draw moment where I killed all five of the sin guys in under 5 seconds and now I wanna mod my stuff :(
And I'm assuming it's nothing like "I need to find him a set of tools" because I did manage to briefly select the first upgrade on my armor after a solid 30 seconds of spastic and utterly random clicking that I haven't been able to recreate since.

For some reason, the clickable area is like four pixels to the left of the entire box, if you download the community bugfix patch it makes the whole thing clickable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Nevermind. Arsenal Overhaul is amazing. :stare:

Is there a way to change the UI to the Atmosfear 3 one?

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 12, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Go back to before you started shooting them. he is still alive, so they wanted something, talk to them, go get it. then you have a happy fox.
Bummed about the shotguns? Do garbage & agroprom, and in dark valley you can pick up a brand new one courtesy of the bandits, who also sell the cheapest ammo so far. should you also go psycho on the monolith, you will also get a spazz, and a couple of nice Nato AR's

Fixes.

http://freetexthost.com/q134pzdcl5
Has the latest Dez patch linked, then use one of the S3r1ous Bug Fixes v2.14. allows you to repair and upgrade the strelock suit, and some pre upgraded weapons like the sniper or storming obokan. without any clicky-dickery.

Personally, I am still waiting for a fix to the arena, just so I do not have to slowly spiral my way around to the bar. hmmm, perhaps I can set arena complete to true or something.

staberind fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Ugh, quit Lost Alpha. Got to the Bar Assault bit and the scripting bugged out - couldn't talk to Petrenko, and killing the choppers didn't progress anything. Reloaded a bunch of times and nothing. This is the nth scripting bug I've had, and I threw in the towel.

I enjoyed being back in this world, and seeing these new areas. I never really got on with the original Shadow of Chernobyl and felt that the series only really found its own identity with Call of Pripyat. I'd kill for a DayZ-but-with-PvE set in the Zone of Alienation.