Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

crowbb posted:

I have never seen the show, but oh how the Z games have made me hate Aquarion so much. It manages to combine the weak armor of a real robot with the inability to dodge anything of a super robot all rolled into one big bag of suck. Then the bastards decided to force me to use it a over and over.

It also has an attack with double-digit range so I dunno why you're letting it get all beat up like that.

In Z3 it also has an incredibly large Spirit list (admittedly the SP gets shared amongst the pilots of each form) and a ridiculous number of useful side effects like Mirror Image and Armour Down on all its attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

crowbb posted:

I have never seen the show, but oh how the Z games have made me hate Aquarion so much. It manages to combine the weak armor of a real robot with the inability to dodge anything of a super robot all rolled into one big bag of suck. Then the bastards decided to force me to use it a over and over.

Aquarion's actually really good in Z1 abd 2 if you just build it around Mugen Punch. The absurd range keeps Aquarion well out of harm's way, and you can exploit the Element system along with Attack Again to make into the best sniper in the game.

I don't know if the same is true of Aquarion EVOL in Z3, as I just got it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

Sorry, Aquarion is amazing hth.

It's really noticably not very good until stage 28, when the Element powers of the non-main pilot turn on with the Element System. For instance

Pureauthor posted:

It also has an attack with double-digit range so I dunno why you're letting it get all beat up like that.

In Z3 it also has an incredibly large Spirit list (admittedly the SP gets shared amongst the pilots of each form) and a ridiculous number of useful side effects like Mirror Image and Armour Down on all its attacks.

those aren't on Amata, so you don't get them at the same time as Mugen Punch until then. (It also doesn't start with Mugen Punch, so if he just got it he's stuck with what, Flying Love Attack?)

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 9, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prism posted:

It's really noticably not very good until stage 28, when the Element powers of the non-main pilot turn on with the Element System. For instance

those aren't on Amata, so you don't get them at the same time as Mugen Punch until then. (It also doesn't start with Mugen Punch, so if he just got it he's stuck with what, Flying Love Attack?)

It also hurts that he starts with 0 kills. His Ace bonus isnt the best but it still takes a while to get.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

As much as I want to hate EVOL and its crappy story, Aquarion is still a really powerful unit in the game.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Well since I haven't seen a list yet for Z3 on what the pilot skills translate to (And I can't read Japanese) I haven't spent a single PP the entire game and I'm now entering mission 53 in Z3. I figure I have gone this far without them, I may as well finish it up and save that for new game+. I have been doing unit upgrades of course and have maxed out over a page of units. It's been easy going so far until I hit 52. Which took me 4 tries to get through because enemies were making a beeline at Aquarion and that jet it comes with and the boss types had extreme range and with some luck could one shot either of them, particularly the plane. On the plus side when I finally did it (By hiding both of them behind a wall of my units the entire mission and making sure I trigger enemy reinforcements at the beginning of a turn so I could toast any who appeared inside the wall) I had over 2 million credits to blow on my other units.

Since I can't read Japanese I tend to brute force everything and not use a lot of spirit powers, though I do recognize the damage up and to hit up ones so I will use those for some extra oomph on bosses.

I'll try to give Aquarion a better shot next time through but even early before everyone else's upgrade outpaced it, it seemed awfully squishy.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

crowbb posted:

Well since I haven't seen a list yet for Z3 on what the pilot skills translate to (And I can't read Japanese) I haven't spent a single PP the entire game and I'm now entering mission 53 in Z3. I figure I have gone this far without them, I may as well finish it up and save that for new game+. I have been doing unit upgrades of course and have maxed out over a page of units. It's been easy going so far until I hit 52. Which took me 4 tries to get through because enemies were making a beeline at Aquarion and that jet it comes with and the boss types had extreme range and with some luck could one shot either of them, particularly the plane. On the plus side when I finally did it (By hiding both of them behind a wall of my units the entire mission and making sure I trigger enemy reinforcements at the beginning of a turn so I could toast any who appeared inside the wall) I had over 2 million credits to blow on my other units.

Since I can't read Japanese I tend to brute force everything and not use a lot of spirit powers, though I do recognize the damage up and to hit up ones so I will use those for some extra oomph on bosses.

I'll try to give Aquarion a better shot next time through but even early before everyone else's upgrade outpaced it, it seemed awfully squishy.

Should probably bookmark this.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Thanks! I've been using the flowchart that was posted for the branching choices and SR points but I didn't see that one. Sheesh and I thought the game was easy before, some of those PP skills are going to be insane.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lostconfused posted:

As much as I want to hate EVOL and its crappy story, Aquarion is still a really powerful unit in the game.

I really like the music it gets in the game. :shobon:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kitfox88 posted:

I really like the music it gets in the game. :shobon:

I like the original Aquarion's from the earlier Z games better personally but it's pretty solid. (Not the version in Z3, which is horrible.)

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

crowbb posted:

Thanks! I've been using the flowchart that was posted for the branching choices and SR points but I didn't see that one. Sheesh and I thought the game was easy before, some of those PP skills are going to be insane.

If you wanna use EVOL, spend that PP on Hit and Away and Attack Again for Amata. Resolve is okay if you want instant Mugen Punching, but it's not necessary if you have items to increase initial will. And then up melee, skill, and defense or dodge on your main EVOL pilots of choice. I'd give Amata the skill boost so Attack Again triggers as early as possible.

KoB
May 1, 2009

crowbb posted:

You know you can put units inside the battleships right?

edit: vvvvv Aquarion can fly when the Element system activates.

KoB fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 9, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Personally, I just stick Mikono or Mix in for three turns' worth of Wall. Aquarion EVOL has no trouble surviving with proper usage of spirits. Without Wall, it still tends to die for me in 3 hits when fully maxed out on all sides (with no armor items, too busy using a flight module and two attack items), but the same can be said for every other robot in the game except maybe Gunbuster.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Yes, though as a general rule I don't put anyone in the ships except occasionally by accident. But had I realized refusing to do it would make that mission take me hours I would have heh.

KoB posted:

You know you can put units inside the battleships right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

Personally, I just stick Mikono or Mix in for three turns' worth of Wall. Aquarion EVOL has no trouble surviving with proper usage of spirits. Without Wall, it still tends to die for me in 3 hits when fully maxed out on all sides (with no armor items, too busy using a flight module and two attack items), but the same can be said for every other robot in the game except maybe Gunbuster.

That's weird. If anything I found the units too tanky in the game. The three Evangelions took maybe 200 damage total over the course of the game and all of that was Asuka and her relatively crappier AT Field.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

Yes it can, but I keep the flight module to give all weapons S ranks in the air when many of them have Bs otherwise.

ImpAtom posted:

That's weird. If anything I found the units too tanky in the game. The three Evangelions took maybe 200 damage total over the course of the game and all of that was Asuka and her relatively crappier AT Field.

Asuka nearly got 2-shotted by the Mycenae in my experience. They were doing 3-4k per hit, same as they were on Aquarion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

Yes it can, but I keep the flight module to give all weapons S ranks in the air when many of them have Bs otherwise.

Asuka nearly got 2-shotted by the Mycenae in my experience. They were doing 3-4k per hit, same as they were on Aquarion.

I thought part of Amata's ability was that he swapped all weapon ratings to A?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Hokuto posted:

Wow, that seems completely crazy to me. You don't have any A-adapters?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I like S ranks, what can I say? I've been going for maximal damage on Aquarion. :shobon:

Edit: I also like high damage right out the gate. Why wait for Elements to kick in when I can just do more immediately?

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

Edit: I also like high damage right out the gate. Why wait for Elements to kick in when I can just do more immediately?

Because as soon as you recruit Basara there should be no 'wait for Elements to kick in" :colbert:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
What units have the best map attacks in Z1?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
1. NIrvash
2. Nirvash
3. Nirvash

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
4. Nirvash

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

What units have the best map attacks in Z1?

Nirvash is far and away the best. From there it's a little more arguable.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Because as soon as you recruit Basara there should be no 'wait for Elements to kick in" :colbert:

Yes I do like watching every cut-in happen at once. Thankfully there are only two characters who have SEED mode as they separated out the cut ins for them now.

ImpAtom posted:

Nirvash is far and away the best. From there it's a little more arguable.
Turn A, awaken, Amuro :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually I unironically love watching all the SEEDs/Instincts/Zero Systems/Epyon Systems/Overskills/etcs going off at once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Yes I do like watching every cut-in happen at once. Thankfully there are only two characters who have SEED mode as they separated out the cut ins for them now.

Once you Ace them you never see it again. Same with Heero and Suzaku. I was almost sad because I loved the giant unending series of activations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

Actually I unironically love watching all the SEEDs/Instincts/Zero Systems/Epyon Systems/Overskills/etcs going off at once.
Add a max level Ideon gauge and I'm basically in video game heaven.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-L9dxe0lWk

God, I wish I still had that 4koma about the Alpha 3 Will activations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw, Basara's ace bonus is boring. I was hoping for "automatically sings Dynamite Explosion to everyone at the beginning of every turn" or something.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aw, Basara's ace bonus is boring. I was hoping for "automatically sings Dynamite Explosion to everyone at the beginning of every turn" or something.

You wanted Basara to be MORE broken? Are you insane? Man can already move mountains by singing at them, more power can only end badly for the universe.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, isn't Basara like a top 3 unit in every single game he's appeared in?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was just going with the general flow of the game so far.

Anyway, like a certain other bad anime sequel in Z2-2, I see this is wrapping up Evol's plot with a big stupid info dump while playing a really dumb version of the old Aquarion theme in the background.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I mean, isn't Basara like a top 3 unit in every single game he's appeared in?

Basara, by his very nature, has never been not insanely incredibly game-breakingly powerful.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had never seen Nerv HQ from directly above before; I knew it was a pyramid and then a hole in the ground next to it, but it looks weirder and somehow creepier than I thought.

If Central Dogma is straight down there, what's all this talk about a million plates of armor between it and the surface?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had never seen Nerv HQ from directly above before; I knew it was a pyramid and then a hole in the ground next to it, but it looks weirder and somehow creepier than I thought.

If Central Dogma is straight down there, what's all this talk about a million plates of armor between it and the surface?

I think its typically left open like that, but that they can slam shut said million plates of armor at will, that just made for a better look for a videogame.

Or I'm dumb, its far too early here.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
You know, something about the artstyle in Z3 bothers me, it seems a lot like what was awkward-looking about UX and some Z2 stuff (most notably the Knights of the Round) are here. Does Banpresto have another graphical team taking over or something?

...Also I am compelled to sperg about my personal idea for an SRW cast list and ask for additions or suggestions to that, but I wonder if people would welcome that or be all 'hell who's going to read all that'. It's something entirely based off of 'what if Turn A was in a game without X' and the things I thought would fit that, eheheh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

You know, something about the artstyle in Z3 bothers me, it seems a lot like what was awkward-looking about UX and some Z2 stuff (most notably the Knights of the Round) are here. Does Banpresto have another graphical team taking over or something?

There are different teams and different levels of experience on those teams with new animators shuffling in and out. It's always been that way, it just stands out more as the graphics get more advanced.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

...Also I am compelled to sperg about my personal idea for an SRW cast list and ask for additions or suggestions to that, but I wonder if people would welcome that or be all 'hell who's going to read all that'.
We had that a couple of pages back, go for it I suppose unless you take up an entire page and 20 posts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's three levels to Neo Tokyo III basically: The city, NERV HQ below, and then Central Dogma. Between the city and HQ you have the plates that you see Ramiel digging through. Go down a series of shafts from within HQ and you reach the basement level with all Lilith, the Eva graveyard, and all that good stuff.

• Locked thread