Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No budgets please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I say budget, but you could always equalize the budgets and give us all $X million dollars in TV contracts, set it to a 99 year contract, and turn off revenue from games/other things. That way we are all COMMUNIST equals.

EDIT: You could also tell the game to redo salaries, so that superstars get x amount, elite players get slightly less, average less, etc etc. This would involve some effort but add some nice strategy to the game.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 9, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

No budgets. I think it's enough effort without adding that.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Let's do like the Yankees Dodgers and spend until they take away the checkbook.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OK I'm going to say No Budgets, and it looks like keeping the funDH out of the NL won out.

Feel free to discuss length of sim or injuries. Currently we are drafting for a ONE YEAR sim and pre-existing injuries are on, but anything less than six weeks I am wiping clean. New injuries will be turned OFF.

If we turn injuries on or go longer than one year you may want to think about drafting more than 25 rounds so you have depth!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
gently caress I missed hte signup. I"ll be an alternate.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think we can all agree that, if we owned teams, we'd be in favor of sacrificing some of our absurd profits in order to win more games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Because the NFL draft was holding everyone's attention tonight (I assume) I'm going to wait until tomorrow night to kick us off so more people can have input on sim length and injuries. The clock will start on Saturday morning. Meanwhile, I've edited in the manager settings you can mess with.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For posterity

IcePhoenix posted:

Team Strategy

OOTP offers a lot of options for strategy. Here's some screenshots and additional options not shown

You can change these based on the score and the time of game. Time is sorted by: Innings 1-3, innings 4-6, innings 7-8, innings 9+

Individual players can also have settings that deviate from the team settings. If you want to steal a lot but have a Molina you can tell him to never run, for example. This also lets you mess with your pitchers and turn them into headcases.

You can set your rotation and bullpen here. The full list of roles is in the dropdown under secondary roles. Middle relief you can set to norma, low, or high usage, setup you can set to use no earlier than the 6th, 7th, or 8th innings, and closers you can set to come in no earlier than the 8th, the 8th with outs recorded (that's the 8+ I have set there), or the 9th.

You can set lineups for LHP and RHP, with or without DH

Finally, here's what you can do with your depth chart, for each lineup set separately, with your backups options on when to play listed in the dropdown to the right.

If you don't feel like doing some or any of these, don't worry! I can push a button and have the game automatically set any of these parts, individually. If you care about your LHP w/ DH depth chart and lineup but not your LHP no DH, I can push a button for only the LHP no DH. If you give no fucks about your lineup and depth chart, I can push a button to do all of them. Same with strategy, pitching, and everything else.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Is stadium choice still up for discussion? Custom stadiums would be a little ridiculous but choosing historical dimensions from actual stadiums would be fun.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

THE RED MENACE posted:

Is stadium choice still up for discussion? Custom stadiums would be a little ridiculous but choosing historical dimensions from actual stadiums would be fun.

I like that, to a point. We should have some limits on dimensions at the very least, because 252 feet to the left field fence like the LA Coliseum seems like bullshit. I would totally support the Polo grounds though

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Politicalrancor posted:

I like that, to a point. We should have some limits on dimensions at the very least, because 252 feet to the left field fence like the LA Coliseum seems like bullshit. I would totally support the Polo grounds though

Colorado Wins the Year Thanks For Coming Out.

Am I wrong?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So the OP says each round of the draft will vary in time. Do we know how long we'll have for the first few rounds? Family is in town and I have a wedding to go to tomorrow.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm thinking I'll start it at four hours. Keep in mind that there is a ten hour period every night where the clock is frozen.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'd be down with being able to pick custom stadiums.

Also...those strategy sliders. Given that we cannot set our own for you, isn't that going to make you want to murder someone trying to set all of them for 30 teams?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't expect people to get very detailed with them, but it also doesn't take that much time to do them.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The Pirates request the following strategic settings:

Sliders to be placed exactly one tick from the the leftmost side:
Use Hit & Run
Use Run & Hit
All 3 Bunts
Intentional Walk
Hook Starting Pitcher

Sliders to be placed at 75%
Stealing Bases/Baserunning
Use Infield Shift
Favor L/R Matchup

All of our pitchers would have a 110 pitch limit in a given game, though that may become cumbersome for you and be fine to leave out.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

HAL9100 posted:

The Pirates request the following strategic settings:

Sliders to be placed exactly one tick from the the leftmost side:
Use Hit & Run
Use Run & Hit
All 3 Bunts
Intentional Walk
Hook Starting Pitcher

Sliders to be placed at 75%
Stealing Bases/Baserunning
Use Infield Shift
Favor L/R Matchup

All of our pitchers would have a 110 pitch limit in a given game, though that may become cumbersome for you and be fine to leave out.

Is it possible you may want to wait until you actually have players to determine your strategies?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Pander posted:

Is it possible you may want to wait until you actually have players to determine your strategies?

Nope.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alright, nobody seems to have an opinion one way or another, so I'm going to do a one year sim.

Injuries will be off, but existing injuries will be left on. Any injuries that are 6 weeks or lesser will be reset to zero.

I'll post the draft order and picks thread during intermission of the Wild game.

e: actually since it's just one year I think I'll just reset all injuries unless there's enough people that disagree with that

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 10, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

IcePhoenix posted:

e: actually since it's just one year I think I'll just reset all injuries unless there's enough people that disagree with that

Sounds good to me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633044

Bonk

Juxta
Sep 2, 2002
I'm going to step down. Just been handed a bunch of work projects and think I won't have the time to maintain a team.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Can we kibitz in the draft thread? (Not giving advice on upcoming picks, of course.)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Requested access, that normal?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, you forgot to make the document editable.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Will there be a hey you're up list on like Twitter or something?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

Can we kibitz in the draft thread? (Not giving advice on upcoming picks, of course.)

from the first line of the picks thread:

IcePhoenix posted:

THIS THREAD IS FOR PICKS ONLY! PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO THE MAIN THREAD

That links back to this thread. Don't be an mks5000.

I fixed the sheet so it should be available to anyone with the link now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It may sound like IcePhoenix is being a sperglord but it really helps things if the draft thread is clean so people don't get picks lost in the shuffle of comments.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FYI since tomorrow is mother's day I'm not going to be iron fist or anything about the pick clock since I'm sure a bunch of people won't be home.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

With the #1 pick, the Colorado Rockies select Mike The Millville Meteor Trout, CF.

With the most obvious pick of the draft out of the way, the Pittsburgh Pirates are on the clock!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pander, post picks here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633044

We're off to a great start.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sweeet, I'm pumped lets draft.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Trout in Colorado :allears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't done anything like this before so I'm a bit confused. Is the goal to get everyone in order within 4 hours to make a pick? Or 1 person make a pick within a 4 hour period? Like what happens if the Pirates don't make a pick by 2 PM does it just move on to the next person for 4 hours?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

I haven't done anything like this before so I'm a bit confused. Is the goal to get everyone in order within 4 hours to make a pick? Or 1 person make a pick within a 4 hour period? Like what happens if the Pirates don't make a pick by 2 PM does it just move on to the next person for 4 hours?

The second one. A team has four hours to make their pick, but if they don't use all the time it won't carry over to the next team, their four hour clock srarts as soon as the previous pick is made. And since I'm home for the rest of the day the Pirates will be autodrafted if they miss their pick. Otherwise, a team is just skipped until I can autodraft them, and they are allowed to pick up until that point.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Has someone PM'd HAL9001?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Juxta posted:

I'm going to step down. Just been handed a bunch of work projects and think I won't have the time to maintain a team.

Sexual Lorax you're first alternate, just post confirming you're ready to take over the Tigers. After 24 hours it'll move to mentholmoose, and so on until we reach the end of the line (hopefully not an issue).

Also if anyone wants to trade up to 6 shoot me a PM.

e:

kensei posted:

Will there be a hey you're up list on like Twitter or something?

I don't know how to do this but if you want to set it up go for it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HAL9100 doesn't have PMs and I feel kinda bad for him about this but I guess them's the breaks when you run out of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

someone pick please

• Locked thread