Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Has a 2/3 falls match ever not gone to the third fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Retromancer posted:

Leo Kruger vs. Sami Zayn on NXT

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Retromancer posted:

Foley and Flair didn't and the Briscoes had a whole gimmick in 2007 where they won all their 2/3 falls matches in two straight.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Briscoes had a whole gimmick in 2007 where they won all their 2/3 falls matches in two straight.

Same with the BDK in Chikara (Chikara tag title matches are always 2/3)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Baby Babbeh posted:

Just watched Flair Steamboat 2 out of 3 falls at Clash VI again. Holy crap you guys, this match is good. Also why don't we ever have 2 out of 3 falls matches anymore? From a ring psychology standpoint this is a stip that actually results in good matches.

I'm sure 99% of you have seen this fight, but it's one of the reasons I really like Cesaro and look forward to Zayn. And it's a 2 out of 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JwCJmmaPkw

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Benoit lost to MVP in 2 straight falls.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Candice Michelle broke her collarbone in one and lost two straight to Beth Phoenix.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
On a similar note, I remember a bit of the Ambrose/Rollins "ironman" match feud from FCW. They had a "Jack Brisco Invitational" medal that was contested by 15-minute most-falls-win matches. My memory is shaky, but I think they drew at 15 minutes, rematched and drew at 20 minutes, and eventually had it settled in yet another rematch at 30 minutes.

I was so excited when I saw them get the call-up as The Shield and they've done even more than I could've hoped.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

skaboomizzy posted:

I was so excited when I saw them get the call-up as The Shield and they've done even more than I could've hoped.

I haven't followed wrestling since the early 90s, but The Shield has been the main reason I watch, for sure. So much talent and style.

I do sort of hope Reigns gets a solo push so I can see Rollins/Ambrose dominate the tag team division for a year or so, as well.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Chinook posted:

I haven't followed wrestling since the early 90s, but The Shield has been the main reason I watch, for sure. So much talent and style.

I do sort of hope Reigns gets a solo push so I can see Rollins/Ambrose dominate the tag team division for a year or so, as well.

The only thing holding Roman Reigns back from super-stardom is his mic work. If they can ever teach him to cut a 3-minute promo on his own, he'll be the World Champ.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Baby Babbeh posted:

Just watched Flair Steamboat 2 out of 3 falls at Clash VI again. Holy crap you guys, this match is good. Also why don't we ever have 2 out of 3 falls matches anymore? From a ring psychology standpoint this is a stip that actually results in good matches.

That is my favorite wrestling match of all time. Loved that match ever since I was a wee lad. Of course back then it wasn't because of the action and ability of both guys... I just thought Ric Flair had cool hair.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So how long has it taken some of you to get you and your referral to get your $25 gift card for WWEshop? I sent in my application on Wednesday night and my friend signed up a few minutes later, and as of this morning neither of us have gotten any word at all as to whether or not we've received our gift cards by email.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Retromancer posted:

"Stunning" Steve Austin vs. Dustin Rhodes for the US Title, Starrcade 1993, with Austin winning by over-the-top-rope DQ and tights-hooking roll-up. It sticks in my memory because it's one of the more unsatisfying two-out-of-three-falls matches you will find, particularly given who is involved.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I just finished up WCW PPVs from 1996 through 1997. This was my freshman and sophomore years of high school so the prominent wrestling years. It actually surprised me how little Sting was on the PPVs. I could never get a PPV but I watched Nitro religiously. Sting (once he came out as Crow Sting) was constantly on there. But PPVs rarely had him. You were more likely to get an NWO member (Nash or Hogan) dressed up as him but not actually Sting. Was there any particular reason why? It seems counterproductive to sell Sting on Nitro but not on the PPVs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was listening to the latest Bauer and Pollock and he said that to his knowledge the meeting with the talent about network payouts that was supposed to happen 2 months ago still hasn't happened. He also said from what he's seen of talent contracts unless they've restructured them everyone is going to get hosed. He compared it to the circumstances of the WGA strike. Plus them firing the head of the network and the $250 referral deal?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

MassRafTer posted:

They take a lot of time to do right and there's not too many situations where it's going to improve the quality of a match. Time constraints usually result in a 5 minute first fall, a minute or two for the second and then a somewhat normal match in the third fall. Or in CMLL where every match is 2/3 falls you get a short first fall, three moves to tie it up and then a normal match in the third fall.

Yeah, I realize you're not going to have time to do one all the time. But as a nice long match to end a feud at ppv I think I'd prefer it to a cage match or something. Gives it that big fight feel without ruining the flow of the match.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was listening to the latest Bauer and Pollock and he said that to his knowledge the meeting with the talent about network payouts that was supposed to happen 2 months ago still hasn't happened. He also said from what he's seen of talent contracts unless they've restructured them everyone is going to get hosed. He compared it to the circumstances of the WGA strike. Plus them firing the head of the network and the $250 referral deal?

They want 1 million baseline subs now no matter what; if that means giving some away they will. They know when they advertise "1 million" it'll mean less because of these promotions but they want one million regardless and are at this point just trying poo poo.

What they probably see is that their utilization rate is decent so they think if they can get people subbed they'll use the network and it'll all be fine. Could be the case, could just hang out on the margin for a bit.

I think they seriously need to contemplate a major Network event a month after Summerslam that's unavailable to anyone on PPV and make it a big deal, because there's a really high chance I'll drop my sub for at least a few months after Summerslam because nothing is going on/football starting up/baseball finishing/TV about to start new seasons/etc and their post-SS PPVs suck until Rumble.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Really, if they want to drive subs, they've gotta start having some Network only ring stuff that gets treated as being higher than NXT. It's the perfect time to make that Internet Championship mean something.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I don't think Zack Ryder's vanity belt is a good pick for this sort of thing. If monthly PPV for $10 (and Wrestlemania for free!) isn't going to drive subscriptions like they want I don't know what else they could possibly offer that would.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So how long has it taken some of you to get you and your referral to get your $25 gift card for WWEshop? I sent in my application on Wednesday night and my friend signed up a few minutes later, and as of this morning neither of us have gotten any word at all as to whether or not we've received our gift cards by email.

Did your friend sign up on a free trial? That might be the delay.

Also, in regards to shows on the network. A bi monthly live special would surely drive subs up. A "Saturday night main event" type network exclusive.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I do think the idea of a Network championship that can only be defended on preshows, postshows, Main Event, or PPVs would be interesting if it was booked strongly to midcard/upper midcard, the old World Heavyweight Championship spot but not the deal where it was sort-of-but-not-really equal to the WWE Championship, still obviously a lower tier.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I just finished up WCW PPVs from 1996 through 1997. This was my freshman and sophomore years of high school so the prominent wrestling years. It actually surprised me how little Sting was on the PPVs. I could never get a PPV but I watched Nitro religiously. Sting (once he came out as Crow Sting) was constantly on there. But PPVs rarely had him. You were more likely to get an NWO member (Nash or Hogan) dressed up as him but not actually Sting. Was there any particular reason why? It seems counterproductive to sell Sting on Nitro but not on the PPVs.

WCW did a lot of things that seem counterproductive.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sky Shadowing posted:

I do think the idea of a Network championship that can only be defended on preshows, postshows, Main Event, or PPVs would be interesting if it was booked strongly to midcard/upper midcard, the old World Heavyweight Championship spot but not the deal where it was sort-of-but-not-really equal to the WWE Championship, still obviously a lower tier.
History has shown that when it comes to booking anything other than Raw, they simply don't care. They have DOZENS of good talent just floundering in the mid card, because the idea that it is a waste of time to build feuds for anything other than the top talent.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

There's a few ways to get that million(plus) subs number they want, unfortunately in the way of that is a)Kevin Dunn who hates wrestling and wishes he was in Hollywood and hates everything except Diva Searches and b)they're too stubborn to pull the trigger on anything they don't come up with on their own because EVERYBODY OUTSIDE THE BUSINESS IS A FUCKIN' STUPID MARK BROTHER WHAT DO THEY KNOW

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The WWE World Title is rarely ever defended on TV as it is, so I don't see how a Network Championship is going to help.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

I don't think Zack Ryder's vanity belt is a good pick for this sort of thing. If monthly PPV for $10 (and Wrestlemania for free!) isn't going to drive subscriptions like they want I don't know what else they could possibly offer that would.

Yeah, I think there's simply a limit to how many people are willing to pay for wrestling and some of their older fanbase is apparently still unclear on the concept and/or uncomfortable with the method of delivery.

If the PPVs and a decent and growing archive isn't enough of a pull I don't think more content is the answer.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Daniel Bryan posted:

The WWE World Title is rarely ever defended on TV as it is, so I don't see how a Network Championship is going to help.

That's true but I sure do sort of miss the old WCW TV title that had to be defended on every show.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Book the US title as a workhorse title and defend it once a month on TV with NXT style feuds. I don't see what is hard about that.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
It would be cool if Countdown just got on with the list instead of spoiling the whole top 10 before it even starts.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

It would be cool if Countdown just got on with the list instead of spoiling the whole top 10 before it even starts.
I really hate that. They literally show 9 out of the 10 things they're about to count down. The draw isn't the order that they're in, so I don't know why they insist on doing that.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Cromulent posted:

I really hate that. They literally show 9 out of the 10 things they're about to count down. The draw isn't the order that they're in, so I don't know why they insist on doing that.

It's annoying as hell. Literally as soon as it starts they're showing everything that's in it. You need to skip at least 5 minutes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mob posted:

That's true but I sure do sort of miss the old WCW TV title that had to be defended on every show.

The WCW TV title was barely ever defended except when they remembered it existed. One of those times Prince Iaukea had it. Dark times.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MassRafTer posted:

The WCW TV title was barely ever defended except when they remembered it existed. One of those times Prince Iaukea had it. Dark times.

It was tossed into a trash can after the 2000 reboot (which stripped everyone of their respective titles) and recovered by Jim Duggan who literally took it home with him afterwards and was quietly retired afterwards (and by "quietly" I mean "presumably" because WCW 2000). That right there should show everyone how far the thing fell.

Still, not as bad as Meng winning the WCW Hardcore title then showing up on WWE while still holding the title. WCW "quietly" retired that one by never mentioning it again.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Justin Godscock posted:

Still, not as bad as Meng winning the WCW Hardcore title then showing up on WWE while still holding the title. WCW "quietly" retired that one by never mentioning it again.

I vaguely remembered this, so I went on his wiki page to refresh my memory, and holy poo poo, did he really bite a dude's nose off in a fight? I love this quote from Jake the Snake:

"If I had a gun and was sitting inside a tank with one shell left and Meng is 300 yards away, he's mine, right? Well the first thing I'm going to do is jump out of the tank and shoot myself because I don't want to wound that son of a bitch and have him pissed off at me."

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

MassRafTer posted:

TV title ruled during the NWO era because it was the only heavyweight title they didn't go for. It was by far the most interesting title for 2 or 3 years. Iaukea being the champ sucked but when booker, benoit, Jericho, a couple other cruiserweights carrying it, it was amazing. I really wish the US title would be more like that. Do a good feud with guys that can wrestle for a couple months, maybe it changes hands. Move on to the next guy. It'd be great for the 1-2 years on tv guys to elevate them.

Also, do a War Games exclusive to the network in like september or october, after the WM30 people sign up expires, but that 6 months expires before WM31.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

TV title ruled during the NWO era because it was the only heavyweight title they didn't go for. It was by far the most interesting title for 2 or 3 years. Iaukea being the champ sucked but when booker, benoit, Jericho, a couple other cruiserweights carrying it, it was amazing. I really wish the US title would be more like that. Do a good feud with guys that can wrestle for a couple months, maybe it changes hands. Move on to the next guy. It'd be great for the 1-2 years on tv guys to elevate them.

Also, do a War Games exclusive to the network in like september or october, after the WM30 people sign up expires, but that 6 months expires before WM31.

The nWo did go for it once! The nWo won the right to challenge for any belt at any time at Uncensored 97 so Macho challenged for the TV title the next night or close to it. It ended in bullshit. (Not that this disproves your core point, it's just funny.) The belt was great in 98 but that's about it. From summer of 96 through January of 97 it's basically MIA. I completely forgot who had the belt during that period because it was just never on Nitro. At one point it wasn't even really in WCW because Regal was touring Germany with it. Before that it was kind of great but only because Lex Luger had two belts and was very proud of his forfeit defenses. That was pre nWo though. There were some big highlights in 98 (and some lowlights like when Stevie Ray or Konnan were involved) but it was really only that period where the title was truly great during that period.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

The American Dream posted:

All it needs to be is some short special; War Games and a tag title match, a feud match and a 60 minute Iron Man match for Bryan and like Cesaro or someone else who can go, etc. Those types of things would win me over until the next year when the natural WWE PPV cycle takes care of it (Rumble - week before MITB, MITB - just after Battleground so I buy before Rumble again). If they don't produce a network specific thing worth watching I'll just wait till Rumble.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Battle Bowl and War Games go hand in hand :colbert:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm sure once the network is available outside the US legitimately their numbers will jump above 1 mil +. Yes some people are already accessing it, myself included, but I know a number of people that don't want to go thru the steps to get it going at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

freeranger posted:

I'm sure once the network is available outside the US legitimately their numbers will jump above 1 mil +. Yes some people are already accessing it, myself included, but I know a number of people that don't want to go thru the steps to get it going at this point in time.

The counterpoint here is that PPVs won't be live in the UK, and it's uncertain whether they will be elsewhere. Also they expect the international launch to take them over 1.5m last I heard, but that was when they still expected 1m US. Also all the hardcores who'd have it day 1 basically have it now. I don't think they're getting another 500-600k subs when they go live internationally.