Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I don't know or care to know what shitstorm is going on itt. I'll miss Community, I found it great weekly entertainment, even season 4, though it was the least good that year. Goodbye Community, Dan Harmon, Britta Abed Jeff Annie Shirly Dean Chang Buzz Duncan, Pierce, Troy, The Human Being, Six Seasons etc, to paraphrase Harmon, one post isn't enough to express my gratitude. Excelsior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Dan Harmon's probably real mad about this which is funny because the Season Five finale was loving awful and it was clearly Harmon just going "I AM UNTOUCHABLE!" so the fact that it backfired is cool.

I don't think he is and I don't think he was. From everything he's said on the subject he was well aware of the precarious position of the show/his employment and felt coming back for a new season would have been not just unexpected, but a tough decision for everyone involved. I saw the series finale as much more of a "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT? IS THIS REALLY WHAT YOU WANT?!".

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Let's all just sit back and reminisce about how good season 2 was.

God drat, season 2 was really good.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Well this kind of sucks. But you felt Harmon was running out of steam and his heart wasn't in season five, he seem more pre-occupied with Rick and Morty. There isn't much T.V left for me to watch any more; Breaking Bad, Mad Men, HIMYM, Justified, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood and Community being cancelled is a big hit. I guess we have GOT?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Fargo Fukes posted:

I don't think he is and I don't think he was. From everything he's said on the subject he was well aware of the precarious position of the show/his employment and felt coming back for a new season would have been not just unexpected, but a tough decision for everyone involved. I saw the series finale as much more of a "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT? IS THIS REALLY WHAT YOU WANT?!".

Definitely. I thought the finale was pretty direct with its message - the show got hosed around, and now it's over. Do not try it on again. Harmon drops the mic, sticks his middle fingers in the air, floats off the stage into the sky and is never seen again.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 10, 2014

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Fargo Fukes posted:

If you watch some of his Channel 101 stuff, Dan Harmon has an unfortunate history of being more and more experimental until he finally gets bored and the show fizzles into ridiculous nonsense (watch episode 1 of water and power, and compare with the last episode...). This is the problem with his fast and dirty way of working; he goes through many brilliant ideas quickly, but he can never build the sort of long term stability and arcs required by long-lasting sitcoms. So while the cancellation wasn't inevitable, the shittening of Community does feel inevitable, at least to me, because either Community settles into a boring groove or it runs out of steam.

So I look forward to everyone arguing over the implosion of Rick & Morty in 3-4 years.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Let's all just sit back and reminisce about how good season 2 was.

God drat, season 2 was really good.

2, 1, 3, 5, 4

edit:

Death By The Blues posted:

There isn't much T.V left for me to watch any more; Breaking Bad, Mad Men, HIMYM, Justified, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood and Community being cancelled is a big hit. I guess we have GOT?

Hannibal just got renewed, and Louie is starting its fourth season. Review just ended its season, but it's really good. Silicon Valley has potential. And, I mean, if you like True Blood, Bates Motel and American Horror Story might also be up your alley.

emoticon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 10, 2014

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
AHS is straight up terrible. Silicon Valley I tried but its so generic, and just riffs on the very safe stereotypes, coming off as unoriginal. Louie is decent but I don't love it as much as other people, although David Lynch is awesome in it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

emoticon posted:

2, 1, 3, 5, 4
This isn't even an opinion.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Please don't judge AHS on Coven. Coven was a cluster gently caress.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This isn't even an opinion.

Depending on tastes you could switch 1 and 3 for some people, but 2-1-3-5-4 is where I'm at as well.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Please don't judge AHS on Coven. Coven was a cluster gently caress.

I saw the first two seasons as well. Didn't really do anything for me. Also I don't think its an argument that season 2 is the best. Just surprising for a TV show to peak so early.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

1st AD posted:

New Girl

Will they or won't they? OMG my period! Is the best friend really going to marry that guy? Hey, a black sidekick!

The other shows are comparable to recent Community episodes, but TNG...started out promising but nosedived so fast.

Anyway, I apologize for criticizing another show in this thread. It's just the frustration talking; I bought into the renewal rumors and am bummed as hell about Community right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
With the last few episodes of season 5 I'm honestly pretty happy this happened, season 6 had good odds of being more up their own rear end and self absorbed and poo poo. Shame the series finale was Dan jerking off with a smug grin about how terrible it'd be if some mean ol suits stopped him from jerking off into his own stupid face.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Just a few years ago, I was obsessed about this show like no other show. Season 2 is the greatest season of television ever and between that and season 1, this show is technically one of the best shows ever made and possibly the greatest sitcom...

It finally gets cancelled, and I didn't really feel anything. :smith: Season 5 had a great start but really petered out and the only reason I didn't want it cancelled was because I didn't want that sucky finale to be The End.

I don't want the show to get another season on Amazon or Netflix or whatever. And I doubt it will. But I would absolutely be for them doing some kind of special or movie - if they could do it right (which I don't even know) - just to give the characters a proper conclusion and give the fans a sense of real non-asteroid based closure.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Really sad to see it go, but if that means more room for Thought Jacker and Captain Cook, it's not a complete loss.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who complains about a show getting too "up its own rear end" needs to watch a nonstop Prisoner marathon.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Does being at 97 episodes affect any syndication deals versus 100 episodes. They could do a movie that broke down into 3-4 episodes as a decent finale and also to break the 100 episode barrier.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The show's already in syndication, 97 vs 100 means they make a little less money but it's no biggie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Or perhaps they could call the movie Season 6 and thus fulfill their obligations

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Depending on tastes you could switch 1 and 3 for some people, but 2-1-3-5-4 is where I'm at as well.

Same.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Was the last background Troy update when his ship got taken by pirates?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

:(

I can't believe they didn't close that storyline in the finale.

Edit: Although, I suppose ALL the storylines were closed when that asteroid destroyed the Earth.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
:arghfist::(

drat you, you made me sad. Now we need a new season/movie/season-movie to resolve that dangling thread.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Community was a great show, but by the end of this season it was clear the creative well was dry. There are a lot of talented people involved, and it's time for everyone to move on to new things.

That asteroid bit was just as bad as we found a way to make paintball cool again.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I thought I would be more sad about this than I actually am.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

For me, Community felt like one of those weird runs in Super Hexagon where you start fully expectng to tank in the first 3 seconds, then by some miracle you're still alive 30 seconds later, with no idea how it happened, and by the time you inevitably eat poo poo you're not so much upset as amazed that you ever made it that far in the first place.

Edit: I'm crap at Super Hexagon.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Anyone who complains about a show getting too "up its own rear end" needs to watch a nonstop Prisoner marathon.

How can a show that decides to just have a cowboy themed episode be up it's own rear end?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Spacebump posted:

There was one after that saying that he was last heard from in a perfect storm in the Bermuda Triangle, I think.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Jummy posted:

Now this is the sort of thing I just don't understand. I mean, I get it that you apparently didn't like it, and that's fine, it's all opinion and people like different things. But not wanting it to come back just because you aren't enjoying it is just such a child's attitude. Well I don't like thing, so no one should get thing! I didn't particularly care for the new Arrested Development, but I know plenty of people did so what does it really matter? If Community finds a new way to air episodes, maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll be poo poo, either way it's pretty certain that at least one person will enjoy them and that doesn't hurt you in any way.

This is the kind of attitude that leads to TV shows shambling on way past the point where they stopped being remotely interesting or relevant. It's good talent being wasted on bad shows, it's new interesting ideas not being given a chance because there's still a drop of blood left in a desiccated husk, it's people watching same god awful poo poo year after year not being confronted with anything new or interesting, because change is scary. Learn to let go, apparently even children know how so maybe it's time you figured it out as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I was a fan of the show from the pilot up through Season 3 but 4 was pretty bad and 5 wasn't much better. I think the zany-ness got old after a few years and then it sort of felt like they kept ratcheting it up because that's what made the show stand out in the first place, and it just felt forced. I went from watching the show live every thursday to watching it on Hulu the day after to letting episodes sit on the ol' Hulu queue for a week before being bored enough to watch them. Anyway not sad to see it go and now the talented people can try new things.

That's my 2 cents and nobody cares :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

How are u posted:

I was a fan of the show from the pilot up through Season 3 but 4 was pretty bad and 5 wasn't much better. I think the zany-ness got old after a few years and then it sort of felt like they kept ratcheting it up because that's what made the show stand out in the first place, and it just felt forced. I went from watching the show live every thursday to watching it on Hulu the day after to letting episodes sit on the ol' Hulu queue for a week before being bored enough to watch them. Anyway not sad to see it go and now the talented people can try new things.

That's my 2 cents and nobody cares :)

That' how I feel. Though a part of me will miss Britta. Gillian Jacobs was the best thing on this show, and I doubt she'll ever find a role that will truly let her shine a comedic actress like Community did.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I jumped in the thread on page one of the pilot thanks to an interview McHale did on Adam Carolla's show. I enjoyed every minute of Community, even the gas leak year for the most part. I'm sad to see it gone, now, but I got more than I ever expected out of what I will long consider one of the most innovative and creative shows to ever see television.

My only regret is that they all died off screen in a horrible Asteroid strike. RIP Greendale.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

verybad posted:

This is the kind of attitude that leads to TV shows shambling on way past the point where they stopped being remotely interesting or relevant. It's good talent being wasted on bad shows, it's new interesting ideas not being given a chance because there's still a drop of blood left in a desiccated husk, it's people watching same god awful poo poo year after year not being confronted with anything new or interesting, because change is scary. Learn to let go, apparently even children know how so maybe it's time you figured it out as well.

Turn on your tv and how many options are you presented with? Hundreds if not thousands. Streaming services are putting out more and more content every day. Keeping a show going isn't hurting any of that. If you don't like it, all you have to do is not watch. If a show not being the best show ever hurts your delicate sensibilities, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

But as I said, and maybe I should have tried explain this a little simpler, opinions are different for everyone. A show that's not interesting or relevant to you, is getting enjoyed by someone else right now. Interesting ideas are being thought up as we speak, if Community was given another 12 or 20 episodes, it's not going to kill those ideas.

If you only watch something because of a set of arbitrary guidelines, good for you. You are not everyone. People do things for different reasons. Most children eventually learn that fact, maybe it's your turn?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tuxedo Jack posted:

My only regret is that they all died off screen in a horrible Asteroid strike. RIP Greendale.

An asteroid destroyed all human civilisation, not all human life. Clearly this means that Greendale has become a fortress in the post-civilisation apocalyptic wasteland that was once North America I would watch the gently caress out of that spinoff.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jummy posted:

Turn on your tv and how many options are you presented with? Hundreds if not thousands. Streaming services are putting out more and more content every day. Keeping a show going isn't hurting any of that.

It is if it's tying up talented people that could be doing something else that you might like. Yeah, It's totally selfish to ask for a show that other people are enjoying just because you wanna see Dan Harmor/Gillian Jacobs/etc working on something else, but there is, in fact, something to be potentially gained.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Community was a great show, but by the end of this season it was clear the creative well was dry.

People keep saying this, but I just don't agree. I think Harmon & co. were off their game because they were facing some majorly bizarre, unexpected shakeups during the fifth season. I absolutely don't buy that season 6 wouldn't have been better, barring other cast member departures.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Do goons have super-super short term memory? Like eight episodes in people kept saying how amazing the season was. After the last two (I agree lovely episodes, everyone is now saying this season was "barely better than four" and the like. Seriously, this season had some hiccups, but it gave us some great episodes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Majorian posted:

People keep saying this, but I just don't agree. I think Harmon & co. were off their game because they were facing some majorly bizarre, unexpected shakeups during the fifth season. I absolutely don't buy that season 6 wouldn't have been better, barring other cast member departures.

Wasn't there an interview where he compared working on a new show to an exciting new relationship, where everything you do seems new and interesting, whereas the fifth season of community was more like a dried-up married couple's sex life where they're just desperate to find anything that works?

That may be an exaggeration but it was something like that. It may have been a Rick & Morty interview.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

XboxPants posted:

Wasn't there an interview where he compared working on a new show to an exciting new relationship, where everything you do seems new and interesting, whereas the fifth season of community was more like a dried-up married couple's sex life where they're just desperate to find anything that works?

That may be an exaggeration but it was something like that. It may have been a Rick & Morty interview.

If he did say this, I really doubt he was referring directly to writing for the show. He absolutely loved those characters. There's a reason he fought for them so hard for so long. If he did say something like this, I'll bet it was referring to his relationship with NBC. And if so, that would be a charitable description of how the network treated the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think the season was good but they were being increasingly fenced in by cast departures and an ever dwindling budget. A sixth season would have been tricky.

• Locked thread