Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demie
Apr 2, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

I've always wondered: are the updates really that good? I want the Mac OS interface and as long as it runs all the programs I want it to without exploding, that's good enough for me personally. Or am I just being stupid?

OS updates are OS updates. Bug fixes and security patches. Hackintosh people sometiems anticipate new or improved device drivers that are meant for upcoming Apple products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
10.9.2 was absolutely essential once I switched from a GeForce GTX 670 to a Radeon R9 270X, as the updated Radeon drivers solved numerous performance issues, such as Bioshock Infinite running like sludge any time you look at anything but the ground, or into the boat during the intro sequence.

I even reported a bug with 10.9.3, which was immediately closed as a duplicate. I was unable to see what the duplicate was, but it was eventually closed a month ago, and I noticed that the following update did indeed fix my issue. EDIT: Of course, said issue _was_ introduced by 10.9.3 in the first place, so there's that...

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The security fix breaks the Nvidia web drivers so have an alternate nvidia native driver card on hand to install an updated set of drivers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
NM: App Store fixed.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
poo poo, I think the myHack MBR installation patch is a no-go with 10.9.3.
It's an easy fix though, it takes like an extra five minutes to do yourself what the myHack bootable maker does.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/145-mavericks-mbr-patch/

I doubt anyone can help me with this, but I use a patched AppleHDA with the correct DSDT. And it works great, even with the iPod inline mic. But every few minutes, the sound comes on as a light static hum. Just like the card has become engaged but has nothing to play. It stays on until the sound card gets actual input, like if I change the volume and it has to play the bloop noise. Which means anything I do that keeps the sound card technically engaged will keep the static hum from coming on. The hum comes on at a constant volume, and is either on or off. As long as the sound card's got something else to do, I've got no other problems whatsoever with AppleHDA.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Has anyone else had freezing issues using 4 DIMMs with Gigabyte z87 mobos or seen any workable solutions to that problem? I set up a Hackintosh with the following components:

Intel Core i7 4770k
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
GSkill F3-1600C9Q032GXM (8GBx4)
SanDisk 240GB SSD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660
RocketRaid 2720SGL RAID Controller Card
4x WD Red 2TB (configured as RAID 10 using Disk Utility)
4x WD Red 4TB (configured as RAID 5 using the RAID card)
Corsair HX650 PSU
Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler
Corsair 400R Case

Our office has been using it for several different tasks, including CI, Time Machine, various OS X Server capabilities. About 2 months ago, the machine started freezing at random times, seemingly uncorrelated with what we were actually doing on it. Prior to that point, I can only think of one time it had frozen before. Strangely, when it freezes it also has a nasty side effect of taking down our entire office network as well.

Apparently this is a well known problem - googling "gigabyte z87 4 dimm" brings up forum posts tons of people with the same issue. I've tried pretty much every solution I could find from various forums - disabling XMP, adjusting memory timings/voltage, adjusting System Agent/IO voltage, updating the BIOS, etc. Nothing's panned out so far, and the problem with troubleshooting this is that the freezes will happen at random and several days apart. My last-resort solution will be to go down to 2x8GB of memory, but that's really unappealing given how much we lean on this system right now. It seems absurd to me that this is a well-known issue yet tonymac has only recommended Gigabyte z87 boards for months now.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a similar issue to yours but what happened to me might not apply to you. The memory I had initially were 2x 8GB x 1 8GB x 1 8 GB and the whole lot was pretty unstable. Eventually I just swapped the lot out at the shop for 4 x 1 x 8GB sticks. It's not stable at 1866, but is at 1600 with the voltage cranked up. It' also solved a weird issue where plugging in a USB storage device would cause a lock. Also XMP was entirely worthless as it would fail to post using it's settings.

You might have to bite the bullet and down clock your memory to 1333.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
My Z87-based machine with 1x8GB actually just started freezing very frequently while running OS X, after months of stability. I don't know why it would start suddenly doing that, since I didn't update or change anything, and all I can find when googling is info on the 4 DIMM problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

agarjogger posted:

poo poo, I think the myHack MBR installation patch is a no-go with 10.9.3.
It's an easy fix though, it takes like an extra five minutes to do yourself what the myHack bootable maker does.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/145-mavericks-mbr-patch/

I doubt anyone can help me with this, but I use a patched AppleHDA with the correct DSDT. And it works great, even with the iPod inline mic. But every few minutes, the sound comes on as a light static hum. Just like the card has become engaged but has nothing to play. It stays on until the sound card gets actual input, like if I change the volume and it has to play the bloop noise. Which means anything I do that keeps the sound card technically engaged will keep the static hum from coming on. The hum comes on at a constant volume, and is either on or off. As long as the sound card's got something else to do, I've got no other problems whatsoever with AppleHDA.

I am using a secondary sound card due to having one of the Asus boards that has the phantom card in the bios. I get the same problem. I think it is something with 10.9 since the problem didn't exist in 10.8 with the same hardware. I solved my problem by being able to hot swap the speakers when I am not using them. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Djarum posted:

I am using a secondary sound card due to having one of the Asus boards that has the phantom card in the bios. I get the same problem. I think it is something with 10.9 since the problem didn't exist in 10.8 with the same hardware. I solved my problem by being able to hot swap the speakers when I am not using them. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

I keep internet radio playing at a volume of zero all the time. I do this mainly because my powerline connection will shut off if it's allowed to go idle, and I'll have to reset it. I feel like I had strange sound quality issues with Voodoo, and the inline microphone doesn't work with it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I use the stock AppleHDA driver, with the inserts and boot time patches as part of CloverALC. However, my ALC898 does not want to support the front microphone jack, so I don't get to use my headset with it proper. Oh well, that's why I have the USB sound device that came with the headset, which seems to suffer from outputting a signal too loud for use with anything that doesn't have an integrated volume control. Thankfully, they thought of everything and included such a volume control in the headset itself.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

uh oh pancho! posted:

Has anyone else had freezing issues using 4 DIMMs with Gigabyte z87 mobos or seen any workable solutions to that problem? I set up a Hackintosh with the following components:
I have been running 4 DIMMs in a Z68 gigabyte mobo for years without causing any problems. Overclocked to 2133MHZ, tweaked timings. I recall that I had some wierdness when I had "fast boot mode" enabled in BIOS - When I tried to check the ram frequency in "about this mac", the window would crash, but it would otherwise work fine. Disabled fast boot mode and the problem went away.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just built a hackintosh today, the whole thing seems to work well, EXCEPT for massive graphics flickering and tearing. See, I used a 4130, instead of its slightly more expensive brother, the 4330, because I frankensteined a bunch of parts from an existing desktop, and the 4130 has an unsupported GPU, the HD 4400.

So, should I just go and grab a low-profile 640 like this? I have the Apex MI-008 ITX case with the 250W PSU, at least according to lifehacker it seems that I should be able to use this video card.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Get it. I'm, using that card and it works great. It's the fastest nvidia low profile card, too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty much all the nVidia GeForce 6XX cards and some of the new 7XX cards will work with Apple supplied drivers in Mac OS X 10.9.2 and up. nVidia provides a Web driver package for Macs that can supersede Apple's drivers and sometimes has bug fixes and tweaks that may not ever make it into the Apple drivers. Their OS X control panel will even switch out Apple's drivers and put theirs in and vice versa.

No support for 750 cards yet though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Demie posted:

Get it. I'm, using that card and it works great. It's the fastest nvidia low profile card, too.
Cool, ordered the 2GB version.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Tonymac's mods are complete shitheads. My word. There are entire blogs dedicated to those assholes being assholes. Seems to fit the site in general..

Anyway, even the most modern systems (think 97) work, barring some audio issues - Clover is the key. Seriously, on modern UEFI systems, the tonymac type of bollocks will only give you a hard time... spend 5 minutes learning Clover instead, and you'll have a working Hac in no time.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

GargleBlaster posted:

Tonymac's mods are complete shitheads. My word. There are entire blogs dedicated to those assholes being assholes. Seems to fit the site in general..

Anyway, even the most modern systems (think 97) work, barring some audio issues - Clover is the key. Seriously, on modern UEFI systems, the tonymac type of bollocks will only give you a hard time... spend 5 minutes learning Clover instead, and you'll have a working Hac in no time.

Seriously, I've had 0 problems after figuring out clover. It was a lot more research to begin with, but my system has only ever crashed once, and everything works. Sleep, boot to windows from osx, updating via the App Store, screen share, iMessages. It's worth the time spent id say.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Thorpe posted:

Seriously, I've had 0 problems after figuring out clover. It was a lot more research to begin with, but my system has only ever crashed once, and everything works. Sleep, boot to windows from osx, updating via the App Store, screen share, iMessages. It's worth the time spent id say.

Hang on, why should I switch from myHack+Chameleon to Clover? Actually this last time around I didn't even use myHack, so just Chameleon. And then Multibeast is a pretty reasonable repo of kexts. Patched kexts are hard as hell to track down and I kind of enjoy having someone besides myself and a random forum to sign off on them.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

oohhboy posted:

I had a similar issue to yours but what happened to me might not apply to you. The memory I had initially were 2x 8GB x 1 8GB x 1 8 GB and the whole lot was pretty unstable. Eventually I just swapped the lot out at the shop for 4 x 1 x 8GB sticks. It's not stable at 1866, but is at 1600 with the voltage cranked up. It' also solved a weird issue where plugging in a USB storage device would cause a lock. Also XMP was entirely worthless as it would fail to post using it's settings.

You might have to bite the bullet and down clock your memory to 1333.

Interesting, I have the same board as you, but with only 2x 8GB; I've had the memory running at 2133 since I got it almost a year ago.

That said, is anyone using Clover on a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H? I have it booting from a SD card (I don't want to gently caress up my Chameleon install just yet), but I can't get it to work in 64-bit UEFI mode, just the regular MBR boot mode. I've tried looking around for people having my particular problem: it hangs at "root device uuid is '(uuid)'++++++++++", but everything I've found either says "just upgrade to the next revision", or the person having the problem (apparently) never figures it out.

Clover seems pretty nice (it auto-applies the TRIM patch, for example), so I'd like to give this a try if I can get it to work.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 1, 2014

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I installed Mac OS X 10.9.3 yesterday and today got the App Store working on a whim. My friend gave me 3 refurbished Intel 320 SSD's and I felt like doing something with them. This is the result.

My specs are:
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
i7 2600
GeForce GTX 460 SE
Onboard Sound

BIOS Settings:
Load Optimized Defaults
AHCI instead of IDE or whatever
VT-d off
EHCI Handoff on

Happily, VMWare Fusion still works just fine for work purposes.

I don't think anything else special except I use a wireless ac USB plug since my router is way on the other side of the apartment. Adding my multibeast config in case it helps someone:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7gen42kgv0zl1d/gigabytez77d3h.mb

I dunno why I'm doing this - Windows 7 works fine and I don't see what Mac OS X gets me other than nicer IRC clients (and I barely use IRC).

Only thing I haven't figured out is why my boot loader for going straight from the hard drive doesn't work. I'm still booting from a Unibeast USB which gives me the HD selection.

Surprised this was so easy, considering the last time I did this was with an Inspiron E1505 back in 2008 or so and that was not so nice. Even after getting it working, it wasn't *really* working all that well. This seems to me like having a real Mac pretty much.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Might check in the bios if the hdd you have the boot loader on is the first device selected.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to stop OS X from bugging me about downloading 10.9.3? I don't particularly care about anything in it, so I'm not in a rush to go through upgrading, and I'm worried I'll hit "download" at some point and gently caress something up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Turn off checking for updates entirely?

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
Anyone have any recommendations for a 802.11ac card? Googling suggests that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320173 works but it's $100.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Why not throw in Bluetooth for the same price? It'll just require some minor tweaking to get 5GHz working, as well as getting the driver working with it in the first place. Both of which can probably be done with Clover's auto kext patching. Plus a firmware uploader for the Bluetooth. Sounds like fun, right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

~Coxy posted:

Turn off checking for updates entirely?

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/disable-automatic-app-updates-mac-os-x-mavericks/

Short version: System Preferences > App Store > uncheck Automatically check for updates

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/disable-automatic-app-updates-mac-os-x-mavericks/

Short version: System Preferences > App Store > uncheck Automatically check for updates

I guess this is the best option. I just wish I could leave automatic app updates on, and only disable system updates.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Not yet at the configuration stage where you can blindly install system updates without changing your configuration at all afterward?

For instance, I have my network interface driver fairly permanently situated. And I have Clover handling TRIM patching for me, as well as partial AppleHDA patching. (The rest of the patch, the layouts, are inserted into the bundle with different extensions, then the driver is soft patched to load them instead. They remain unmolested by system updates.)

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

kode54 posted:

Why not throw in Bluetooth for the same price? It'll just require some minor tweaking to get 5GHz working, as well as getting the driver working with it in the first place. Both of which can probably be done with Clover's auto kext patching. Plus a firmware uploader for the Bluetooth. Sounds like fun, right?

How well does this work in Windows (8.1)? Looks like a bit of a pain still, I guess.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
The topic appears to link to some Dell provided drivers for the whole module, because apparently Dell has utilized them in some of their models.

Also, where did you find which chipset is contained within that PCIe card, and how it's supported by Mac OS X at all?

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

kode54 posted:

The topic appears to link to some Dell provided drivers for the whole module, because apparently Dell has utilized them in some of their models.

Also, where did you find which chipset is contained within that PCIe card, and how it's supported by Mac OS X at all?

I basically googled "802.11ac hackintosh" and that one came up in a few links, like these:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/802.11ac_Mac_adapters.html
http://www.skylineosx.com/getting-802-11ac-working/.

It appears it doesn't work completely without issue, though.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Both my PC and my Mac are due for a refresh, so I'm really looking to go the route of a dual-boot system. I've read through the whole thread and poked around on a few different forums, but I'm sure I'll have more questions.

First obvious question is hardware. The "CustoMac mATX" build at http://www.tonymacx86.com/422-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-may-2014.html is probably not that far from where I'd probably go just for a PC build (GA-Z87MX-D3H motherboard, Intel Core i5-4670K or i7-4770K, GeForce GTX 760). Is that pretty much the reccommended route? Or maybe cruising through the "Golden Builds" forum? Since this first step is the one that involves purchases, I want to choose wisely.

Thanks!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The TonyMac builds are pretty well vetted for compatibility. If I was to build another today I'd probably stick close to those suggestions. Gigabyte motherboard, nVidia graphics, then go nuts with the processor. I have a sandy bridge era Gigabyte motherboard and a GTX650ti and its a great setup. No problems at all.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

agarjogger posted:

Hang on, why should I switch from myHack+Chameleon to Clover? Actually this last time around I didn't even use myHack, so just Chameleon. And then Multibeast is a pretty reasonable repo of kexts. Patched kexts are hard as hell to track down and I kind of enjoy having someone besides myself and a random forum to sign off on them.

If things work for you, there's no reason to switch. Hackintoshes are a definite case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If you do have any problems though on the new UEFI based systems then Clover is worth checking out as an alternative. My knowledge of how it all works isn't quite deep enough to understand why, but it seems more stable and predictable than the patches and DSDT fixes of old, on this type of system. (Well, DSDT only applies to ye olde BIOS anyway if I understand correctly)

cbirdsong posted:

I guess this is the best option. I just wish I could leave automatic app updates on, and only disable system updates.

This would be the holy grail of Apple based computing, seriously. I have spent days trawling Google for that one - as far as I can tell there is no way whatsoever. Auto updates are either "on and pestering you to the point of insanity until you agree to install+reboot" or "off". Apple really want you to keep your OS up to date.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has anyone dared to do anything with Yosemite yet? I've found a spare 1TB drive I bought and forgot about, but I may hold off doing anything if I end up doing it all over again in a few months time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ijyt posted:

Has anyone dared to do anything with Yosemite yet? I've found a spare 1TB drive I bought and forgot about, but I may hold off doing anything if I end up doing it all over again in a few months time.

I got it working the other night. You are going to have to use Clover. There is some fuckery required and it is generally not worth it yet since most of the cool stuff is not in it yet.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even going to consider playing with the OS until it's well established into the future hackintosh schemata, I haven't even jumped up to mavericks since getting my 10.8.5 build fully stable, I'm perfectly happy not setting fire to that hornets nest just yet. Also reinstalling Komplete is a really unappealing process (a dozen DVDs) and yeah as before, it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it.
Is it possible to use migration assistant with a hackintosh? I don't think target-disk mode will be an option but if you can import user data via a DMG or drive caddy then I'd be a bit more ambitious with my upgrading.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

ijyt posted:

Played with it.. you have to hack around to get it going (long story short, all kexts have to be signed now, so you use a developer mode + single user mode to force it into the cache). I'd wait until there are proper tools for it. You're not missing much - it works just fine and is pretty stable, just a couple of glitches with transparency that I noticed. But I think it looks ugly as sin to be honest - I was never really into the flat/1987 design bandwagon and my eyes felt much better once Mavericks was back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

RandomCheese posted:

Is it possible to use migration assistant with a hackintosh? I don't think target-disk mode will be an option but if you can import user data via a DMG or drive caddy then I'd be a bit more ambitious with my upgrading.

Yes you can. Migration Assistant doesn't do anything with the OS, just users, apps, etc.

• Locked thread