Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I actually want to know more about Dark Souls 2. If I wished to move fast in DS2, then instead of DEX I'd need to invest in Adaptability, and unlike DS1 DEX is only for wielding DEX using weapons and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

pigdog posted:

I actually want to know more about Dark Souls 2. If I wished to move fast in DS2, then instead of DEX I'd need to invest in Adaptability, and unlike DS1 DEX is only for wielding DEX using weapons and stuff?

DEX also determines your poison and bleed bonus, if that's your thing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

pigdog posted:

"Move fast" probably refers to Agility, which is based on adaptability and (oddly) attunement. Agility determines how quickly you can drink, raise your shield, and other stuff. The rolling/movement/dodging breakpoints seem more complicated than in the first game, but generally you want to either have encumbrance under 70% or under 30%, as I understand it.

In Dark Souls 1, DEX was only for damage bonuses with DEX weapons and slightly effecting casting speed at high levels.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice if they had a link to some data or an official statement, and a wiki in general isn't the most accurate. But that wiki is usually pretty good, so I'll accept that at least until I hear something more official saying otherwise.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20mse8/bandai_namco_official_kb_article_on_coop/

Subreddit discissing a Link to the publisher's support site. I don't blame you not knowing though, nobody does unless they're told or happen to see it discussed. Which is why I brought it up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20mse8/bandai_namco_official_kb_article_on_coop/

Subreddit discissing a Link to the publisher's support site. I don't blame you not knowing though, nobody does unless they're told or happen to see it discussed. Which is why I brought it up.

But that explicitly states:

quote:

generally you must be within 50,000 souls of the person you're invading/co-opping with and your level must be within +/- 10 levels

But that doesn't entirely seem to be the case? So... yeah. We don't seem to know for sure. Lots of speculation both ways.

But read the link before you tell me I'm wrong over and over and then post it... that's kinda crazy dude.

EDIT: Okay here we go http://illusorywall.tumblr.com/

This guy took the time and compiled the numbers, and I'm willing to believe him. So yeah, you're right, SL doesn't seem to matter, which means that FROM official statement is actually wrong. Get it together FROM Software!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 8, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just bought Xenogears on PSN. Anything I should know in advance when it comes to moving ahead in the game?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Spikeguy posted:

I just bought Xenogears on PSN. Anything I should know in advance when it comes to moving ahead in the game?

Keep your gear equipment up to date. Brace yourself for LOTS text.

Also there's one boss in the second disc that has a move that will cause the game to hang for whatever reason, thankfully there's a chance to save right before it but be ready to reboot the game several times at that boss.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

It's been a decade since I played the game so I'm not qualified to really say much but the beforeiplay article is an absolute mess and I hope someone culls it. There's redundant and conflicting information within two lines of each other.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Spikeguy posted:

Seconding that you should keep your gear parts up to date. The game expects that your team is using the best available gear parts at all times. You'll get thrashed if you don't upgrade.

As for moving ahead, Disc 1, which is the large bulk of the game, is very linear. You'll only have a few areas open to you at a time. When you move away from them due to major story events it will be a long, long time before you make it back, if ever.

Disc 2 is literally linear in that it is just walls of text followed by straight-line dungeons right up until the very end, at which point you have a few optional areas to explore.

The game's plot goes completely insane in Disc 2. You will probably have no idea what is going on. This is normal.

For game mechanics:

Deathblows are learned by using attacks with certain animations. Your light attack has four animations, your medium attack has two, and your heavy attack has one. You may need, for example, 100 reps of light 1, 50 reps of light 2, and 30 reps of heavy to learn a deathblow. What this basically means is that when you're inputting attack commands you should chain the same input a couple times to make sure you're seeing and getting experience in all the attack animations. Executing a deathblow does not give you credit for a heavy rep even though you need the heavy input to trigger it. So until you have very high AP you can't rep heavy and use a deathblow in the same turn.

Some character accessories have effects that carry over to gears. Examples: ether doubler and speed shoes. Ether doubler in particular is very powerful on Billy. If you want to buy it at first opportunity you will spend a long time grinding, however.

Citan is the most powerful NPC you can have and it isn't even close. Keep him in your party whenever possible.

Draile fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 9, 2014

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

al-azad posted:

It's been a decade since I played the game so I'm not qualified to really say much but the beforeiplay article is an absolute mess and I hope someone culls it. There's redundant and conflicting information within two lines of each other.

I'd be happy to clean it up, but I haven't played the game!

If someone wants to take the tips from the Xenogears page and remove the problem content, I can paste that back in to put it right.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Spikeguy posted:

Your go-to party for basically everything should be Fei, Citan, and Billy. The game loves pulling Citan from the usable roster though, so replace him with Bart where necessary.

As stated, always keep your gear and your Gears up to date.

In a Gear boss fight, always start by using your Boosters to move faster.

Most offensive "spells" are useless. Elly's tend to be stronger than her physical attacks though.

When you reach the desert early in the game, take the opportunity to do a bunch of Deathblow grinding until both Fei and Citan know at least their Square -> X Deathblows.

When you reach the tournament Fei participates in, you can either win or lose to progress. However, taking as long as possible has its benefits, both item and story wise. Protip: There's a familiar NPC you'll meet during the fights that can be beaten by just blocking and healing.

When you reach lateish in the game, everyone will gain the ability to do special deathblows that cost 7AP. Your deathblow "experience" from up to that point will carry over to these, so it's possible that several people will have them at 100% and need to participate in battle or get some more levels before they're actually unlocked. Most of them also have an element attached, so be aware so you don't heal or do reduced damage to enemies.

The same time these special deathblows unlock, all your gears can reach System Level Infinity. This is accomplished by reaching System Level 3 and preforming any action except a deathblow. You can see the % chance that you will activate Level Infinity in the small window on the right of the screen. The chance increases depending on damage taken, iirc, but some gears have a naturally higher base chance. When in Infinity mode, you can use special deathblows and your Charge option restores fuel at 10x the normal rate for 3 turns.

Spoiler for the late late boss fight where you can and probably will freeze on the PSN version: It's against Deus, and the fight is a gimmick fight to begin with so it's more of a hassle than a hurdle.

Maria is a liability on foot. Only keep her in the party when you expect to be in your Gears most of the time.

The speed shoes you can get from a rare monster in disc 2 are really, really good. They give auto-haste but also work while in a gear, essentially becoming a free Booster. As far as I know, they only drop if you got the Trader Card from killing a boss that self-destructs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some redundant stuff.

quote:

- You get more Deathblows not by using the ones you have, but by trying different button combinations. If you only attack with Deathblows, you won't learn any new ones.

You learn deathblows by using a certain number of shape presses to meet a hidden number out of three, hence those double digit numbers having no loving indication on your progress. Always open with XX to finish that portion of deathblows much faster.

Deathblows have a hidden counter for the three buttons and they all build upon that amount. Most of the time an unlearned Deathblow will have a low percentage and you should start your combo with X most of the time, if you fight weak enemies that die quickly. Triangle should be used less often than squares so everything can be learned faster. Each Deathblow gives you another attack for your level combo. I stick with level one for speed and so you get that hit in. The stronger level moves are easier to dodge as is human battles.

- Usually the way to learn deathblows is to use the moves associated with them. Be mindful that not all weak or strong attacks are the same. But you won't learn them if you use death blows. All 7 point deathblows are elemental, learn to use this to your advantage. Also not every one learns each deathblow.

Draile's post on deathblows is the most accurate and the one I would use. I'd like to add that

-Deathblows have level and AP requirements. As long as you're consciously trying new moves, you'll naturally learn deathblows as they become available to you so don't worry about grinding. The final tier of deathblows can't be learned until you reach 7 AP which happens in the course of the story.

quote:

- Character equipment such as evasion and speed shoes, can affect you Gear as well. Ether defense also determines a Gear's stat.

- Stuff equipped on your human character ALSO affects them while in their Gears. There are many, many items that bestow insane abilities on Gears when their human pilots equip them, as the game is not explicit as to what they'd do to the Gears. Pay special attention to anything that increases speed or Ether, especially the famous Ether Doubler with Elly. This is because once she learns Aerod, equipping her with an Ether Doubler will make most Gear battles with her trivial.

- Ether attacks become broken when you find the equipment that increases their attacks and use elemental buffs and debuffs with your Ether abilities.

- There are a lot of things you can miss, but most of them are inconsequential. Noteable exceptions are Ether Doubler which can only be bought early in Nissan, for a ridiculous cost, and the Trader card which when equipped on a character greatly increases the chance of rare drops.

All redundant information. Draile sums it up well enough but I would add

quote:

- Buy three Tank Lids or whatever that prevent Fuel from being stolen in battle. You won't likely need this until the final battle, but you will be thankful for it at that time. At a certain point they disappear from all available shops in the game and you can't buy them again, so get them as soon as you see them.

You should never have to worry about fuel-stealers and that each level in your gear adds more to your charge. You also don't need to bother with charge boosting equipment.

I would get rid of the second line. While it's true that only two or three major enemies steal fuel, one of the final bosses is incredibly difficult without this specific item.

quote:

- Your chance of Hyper Mode is mostly determined by your amount of lost health you lost this battle and number of attacks you make. Forget about any equation you read. Basically, almost dying will give you a large enough percentage (40+) to almost make it useful but then you will die soon.

If your gear is at attack level three, take a look at the diagnostics box and looking for the Hyper Mode line. That's the percentage of your character going into over drive for the next three turns if you don't do a deathblow. Same effect as using the System ID(once you get it of course) but any character can do it. Their chances increase if their lower on health. While in hyper mode you have accesses to stronger attacks, and charge 10x the fuel you normally do. May also take less damage but I'm not sure.[/quote]

SpazmasterX sums it up as succinctly as possible but I would add

-Citan can't activate hyper mode in disc 1. It's a bug that can't be fixed.

quote:

- Don't worry too much about character rotation. Stick with who you like. There will be some sections where one or two of your characters are locked in. But they're pretty manageable even if you haven't used the required section where you got them. Once you reach a certain point your party won't have any required members.

I think this is misleading. Disc 1 is really linear in party layout and if you don't upgrade your gears or keep your party up-to-date with their deathblows you will have a hard time!

quote:

- It is possible to defeat that one Gear with wings and 500,000 hp. Expect to lose from the hilarious damage you take, over a couple battles.

The gear in question can't be defeated. Likely a typo.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 9, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

al-azad posted:

The gear in question can't be defeated. Likely a typo.

No, it can. It just takes a metric fuckton of preparation and luck and really isn't remotely worth the effort. The game doesn't even acknowledge it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

PantsBandit posted:

It's not even out until Friday...

Street date got removed yesterday. It's available now.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Anything else for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together than what it's on the wiki? I'm an avid fan of Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Spikeguy posted:

Use a guide for the subquests. A good 80% of them boil down to 'pick up a hidden item you'd never know was there, then give it to some otherwise random bystander 20 hours later', but you get some neat dialogue and decent items out of them, so it's still worth it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Azran posted:

Anything else for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together than what it's on the wiki? I'm an avid fan of Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Unless you're using an emulator/have sold your soul, the post-game content really isn't worth doing. The main game is fantastic though, enjoy the ride.

Oh also, since grinding up new classes is a huge awful pain, you may be tempted to just have your team auto-battle it out. That's totally fine! Just make sure you remove Field Alchemy from everyone or they will burn through your entire inventory before you can blink. Also also, ninjas are really good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of "Do I really need to know this before I play?" I think the Xenogears wiki could be slimmed down to:

-Don't let the boss on the second disk self-destruct or else you won't get a really awesome item called the Trader's Card.

-Buy three pieces of equipment for your gears that prevent fuel loss. Eventually stores stop selling them and you'll want a team that can defend against it late in the game.

-Some equipment on your human characters affect your Gears, most notably things that boost speed and Ether.

-Deathblow learning efficiency stuff at the end.

Everything else most people will figure out on their own just fine or doesn't really matter all that much.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Use a guide for the subquests. A good 80% of them boil down to 'pick up a hidden item you'd never know was there, then give it to some otherwise random bystander 20 hours later', but you get some neat dialogue and decent items out of them, so it's still worth it.
I've played Xenogears more times than I'd like to admit and I'm not really sure what you mean by this. There's really only one sidequest in the whole game that's actually plot relevant (the Lighthouse), which you probably won't need a guide to find. If you're talking about the thing with ring it's not really worth worrying about.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

SpazmasterX posted:

Most offensive "spells" are useless. Elly's tend to be stronger than her physical attacks though.

Emerelda says hi. Her offensive spells are among the strongest attacks in the game.

Speaking of spells, Bart's Wild Smile seems useless but it will stack with itself and it's as I recall unresistable so you can get some nice results by casting it a few times.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Azran posted:

The only thing I'd really add is something like seven or eight more lines about Archers being ridiculously stupidly good, and another to give Canopus a 2H crossbow.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Emerelda says hi. Her offensive spells are among the strongest attacks in the game.

Speaking of spells, Bart's Wild Smile seems useless but it will stack with itself and it's as I recall unresistable so you can get some nice results by casting it a few times.

I can attest to Wild Smile. I hit one boss with it three times, and the guy almost never hit met. Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm loving this game. The story is the kind of balls to the walls crazy that I can really get into.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Too bad the second disk of Xenogears was so butchered, especially since it was Final Fantasy VIII of all games that stole its budget.

The game has its flaws but I would've loved to see the whole thing as it was meant to be.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What was it meant to be? What was cut out? Is this a KOTOR 2 situation?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spikeguy posted:

Most anything resembling gameplay. You'll know what we mean when you get there.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nate RFB posted:

I've played Xenogears more times than I'd like to admit and I'm not really sure what you mean by this. There's really only one sidequest in the whole game that's actually plot relevant (the Lighthouse), which you probably won't need a guide to find. If you're talking about the thing with ring it's not really worth worrying about.

Off the top of my head, there's stuff like the RPS badge, the spiderweb you give to Chu Chu, that sort of thing. They're not entirely sidequests, but they do require you to go off the beaten path and net you some extra stuff.

Spikeguy posted:

Xenogears disc 2 makes KotOR2 look fully-featured. The first disc of the game is a good 60-70 hours end to end. The second - which was supposed to be its equal - you can get through in about 20.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I was thinking about reinstalling Dragon Age: Origins and go with a Mage, since my old harddrive went kaput and I lost my save. I remember that the Entropy and Telekinesis groups of spells were pretty drat great but what is a decent direct damage spell tree?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Azran posted:

For the PSP version I recommend against using any guides aside from beforeiplay. Make whatever story choices you want and roll with the punches. Later on you'll be able to revisit past events and make different decisions. You can experience everything on one save file. And maybe one last thing to add to the PSP Tactics Ogre page:

-If you're having trouble rescuing an NPC, try sending out a naked cleric. The AI will rabidly pursue it. It gets turns very often due to low WT. You can give it a Lobber to huck healing and support items at the NPC you're trying to save.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was thinking about reinstalling Dragon Age: Origins and go with a Mage, since my old harddrive went kaput and I lost my save. I remember that the Entropy and Telekinesis groups of spells were pretty drat great but what is a decent direct damage spell tree?

The elemental trees are your damage trees. My favorite was fire, because fireball is great burst damage to start a fight and it incapacitates (knocks over enemies) and works from a distance. Lightning is also good for shock.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sylphosaurus posted:

Ele or Entropy trees are good, but really what you want to do is fire off spell combos. That's where the real power of mages shines through (and, depending on difficulty level, makes the game trivial)
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Combinations

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Ele or Entropy trees are good, but really what you want to do is fire off spell combos. That's where the real power of mages shines through (and, depending on difficulty level, makes the game trivial)
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Combinations

Nightmare was just broken as hell to use. It stuns anything, plus does a poo poo of spirit damage which almost nothing has resistances to.

If you're going to role with 2 mages and want to have fun, you should go an entirely different mage route then just AoE damage. I went with the Arcane Warrior and turned on every sustained ability I had making my entire party a magically enhanced killing squad.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I know it's space minecraft, but anything for space engineers?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

al-azad posted:

Hyper mode

There is a trick involving the Holy Pendant, an accesory that doubles the duration of beneficial status effects. Equip one and have the gear enter Hyper Mode, by defending repeatedly at Deathblow Lv3. Since the accesory doubles status, your character will now get 6 turns in a row of Hyper Mode. IIRC this doesn't work on Fei's System Id.

Nate RFB posted:

Everything else most people will figure out on their own just fine or doesn't really matter all that much.

There is a crapload of items in Disc 2 Shevat that you can only get if you got the necessary items on Disc 1. Watch the Let's Play in the archive and you'll see what I mean.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The Xenogears LP is certainly worth reading if you don't have the patience for the game itself (or even if you've played it before), The Dark Id did a great job with it.

If nothing else, it makes you realize that Citan is a total dick. Plot spoilers obviously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anything I should know for Child of Light? Should I dump all my stat boost items on Aurora or is there a party member worth saving them for?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything I should know for Child of Light? Should I dump all my stat boost items on Aurora or is there a party member worth saving them for?
There's one party member that leaves you permanently at one point (it is Norah), so you probably don't want to use the boosts on them. I'm not sure what happens to the oculi they have equipped when they leave you.

Other than that I'm not sure it matters too much, although you'll probably want to reserve the Strength boosts for party members that predominantly make "physical" attacks, and Magic boosts for those that employ spell nukes.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Playing Ultima 7 (GOG version) for the first time using the Exult port. The wiki page hasn't been updated since like 2011, so is there anything crucial I should know?

Also, is there any way to improve your party's pathfinding and stop them from being stuck behind a wall every two minutes? I'm at Britain right now, and it seems like I can't walk three feet without having to backtrack because Iolo or Spark are caught on a fence or something.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I picked up Atelier Ayesha, but realised I know nothing about the series (other than it essentially being Item Crafting: The Game).

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I just picked up Avernum. Is there anything in particular worth knowing, specifically about party building?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Pengu! posted:

I just picked up Avernum. Is there anything in particular worth knowing, specifically about party building?

You really, REALLY want the multi target curse/bless spells later on. If you get them early it tends to trivialize most content, but the late game expects you to have them.

This may only apply to the original, and not the remake, but turning your lights off might help you sneak around and avoid a lot of combat in certain dungeons. Similarly you can avoid a few set encounters/traps by flipping to combat mode and walking past them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Cirosan posted:

Playing Ultima 7 (GOG version) for the first time using the Exult port. The wiki page hasn't been updated since like 2011, so is there anything crucial I should know?

I love U7 but it is piss easy from a mechanics point of view. Treat it more like a graphic adventure with RPG elements. Most of the stuff is okay on the wiki although it mixes tips for Black Gate, Serpent Isle and even Ultima 6.

In fact I'm just going to reorder the tips and add one or two to make a bit more sense if anyone with wiki access wants to update the page:

quote:

Black Gate and Serpent Isle
Play the game with Exult. Either version 1.2 or one of the recent snapshot releases that doesn't have the disappearing object bug.

With these games, the secret is to try to talk to everyone and see what you can find out. Usually someone has a hint about what you're meant to do next. A lot of plots won't advance until you do so.

On BG and SI, get lets of bags inside your backpack and use them to manage it a bit better or re-organise your non-plot equipement to different characters.

Also, having to constantly buy food for your companions is a bitch. The cheapest deal is dried meat from Britannia.

Oh, and one more important thing (especially in SI) - if you click on anything, it tells you its name. Most walls are called "wall". Secret, openable (either by double-clicking or by using a hidden switch) walls are called "Wall". This is vital to completing the game in many situati

Lastly, if you are deciding to have an inventory clean out and there is even the remotest chance that an item you have may be useful later on, have a designated area with chests or barrels that you store everything you drop. Don't drop them on the ground!! Put them in containers so you know exactly where they are and so the game's memory manager doesn't decide to delete them.

Also learn your shortcut keys. "Ctrl + F" is food, and in Exult "Ctrl + K" will always choose the right key for a lock.

Learn how to spot invisible chests, non solid walls and other things like switches and keys hidden behind other objects. If you can see a room that you can't get into then there is probably one of those there. You will need to walk through walls to beat both games.

Ultima VII The Black Gate:

Play this before Serpent Isle as the plot of Serpent picks right up from the situation at the end of Black Gate.

Look for a spellbook behind the secret doors in the castle. Learn mark, recall, unlock, heal, cure poison and seance at a minimum.

You can use mark and recall with the virtue stones found in the museum.

Having a sextant in your inventory will show your position on the map.

Unlike Ultima 6 the world is round instead of flat.

Use a barrel instead of backpack when you're strong enough. You'll know when you're strong enough.

This is cheating, but in the opening town, grab all the crates you can and make yourself a ladder onto the roof of (I think) the blacksmith's shop. You'll be put into a room with all the best items and every quest item in the game.

Go south once you can leave the first town and search around a little, you'll find a nice magic item hidden in a tree or something. Look for like a single pixel of magical sparkle.

East of Britain near the field with the spaceship (A reference to the Wing Commander series) you can bust into a shack and acquire a hoe with a red head. This is a sweet weapon.

There's a magic carpet you can get very early on, but it kind of breaks the game (You can literally skip 8/10 of it by flying into a certain compound you have to work half the game to gain access to. Be carefull not to fly over the Isle of Avatar on it. Thats the island to the south east of the map.

Moving things around in someone else's container is considered stealing. Steal too much and some party members will leave for good and you can't get them back.

When you get to Britain, notice all the gold reserves guarded and locked up? Wait for the bank manager to leave at night. Follow her home, and kill her in her bed. Loot the keys from her body, then go loot the bank. Now drop her body in front of Lord British and ask for a rez. She'll go back to work like nothing happened, and exchange all those gold bars and nuggets for you!

On the pirate island there's a way to make infinite gold through gambling. It's something like 1 in 6 rats will win a race, and you put money on the number you like, but you get back more money from winning than it costs to cover all the numbers.

You can get the most powerful weapon in the game and a massive stats boost by doing the Forge of Virtue. 2 of the 3 tests do not require much combat so it's useful for an early boost

From there just see where the game takes you. Don't go around killing random people because it could be easy to break the plot. Don't throw away items that seem "important" (Rudyom's Wand, the Prisms).

If you kill anyone or one of your party dies take their corpse to Lord British for free resurrection services.

Different trainers give different stats, so use game hints or a guide to figure out which ones you'd prefer your companions to be strong in.

If you walk into a portal and all your companions disappear, load the game and politely ask them to leave, so they can rejoin when you're done with that portal.

Don't let your companions carry important items, because sometimes they'll randomly drop all their poo poo and lose it forever.

Bake lots of bread. Pick up the Hoe of Destruction (go fishing for the key or use a cannon on the door).

Cast Armageddon (but don't save) once you know the main villains identity and go visit him, Lord British and the Ferryman for some fun dialogue.

Use the Black Sword on Lord British and search his body (but don't save). A plaque over a door has the same effect.

Don't forget to pick up the Prisms.

You'll get a free boat from Lord British.

Serpent Isle This is the second part of the Ultima VII story.

Finish up everything that you can before confronting the guy that you've been chasing for half the game. This means do all your quests, training, purchases, etc

Don't wear gwani cloaks (I don't think doing so will break the plot, but just to be safe). Make sure you have a full set of furs when going north.

When you're collecting special waters, it'll save you time if you get two buckets of each type. Not all of the water sources are found in the temples.

If you're not averse to cheating then in the cheat console (press F2, enabled from exults menu) and edit your avatar's status (npc #0) so that they have the (R)ead attribute. This allows them to read in english any runic and serpentine language. If you use a device or spell that has that effect you will lose that setting though.

Do not double-click any pillars within the Silver Seed expansion (this bug might be fixed in Exult, anyway)

Go to Silver Seed as early as possible and at least talk to everyone in the command post until you get the key ring. You'll have to die at least once in order to even get the ability to enter Silver Seed before arriving on Monk Isle, so let some wolves kill you or something

As soon as you get a spell book go back the the Silver Seed and track down the ring of Reagents. You will be depending on a lot on magic in the late game.

When someone gives you a magic scroll cast transcribe on it as soon as possible to get it in your spellbook.

When bribing the prison guards drop all but one of your gold bars.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 13, 2014